ImageImageImageImage

Run it back again?!?!?!

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

jonbob17
Analyst
And1: 1,317

Re: Run it back again?!?!?! 

Post#61 » by jonbob17 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:54 pm

D12VCMagic wrote:
drsd wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:Next year is a wash without our best defensive player in Isaac and the rest of the east getting exponentially better. That’s not due to Orlando laying down, but because of injury and inaction on the FO part.

Orlando is fairly likely to be a play-in team for the playoffs. As such, those two games (and hopefully 4 more playoff games) will be useful to help further develop a hunger.

The 72 games themselves leading to that; Orlando is to play hard. I have no doubt about that.

How many wins? Perhaps a 33-39 record for the #8 seed. Even if Charlotte and Atlanta overtake Orlando, the Magic still plays at least one play-in game as the #10 seed.

I would not call these scenarios "a wash".

Now we have people acting like being a play in #10 seed is something to play for. :lol:

Those 15 minutes the two rookies get in the play in game against the 8th seed will make or break their career.
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,160

Post#62 » by zaymon » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:57 pm

Xatticus wrote:
jonbob17 wrote:
zaymon wrote:You guys cant decide if we stagnated as 8th seed or got outrun by Hawks, Wizards, Bulls, Hornets.
If we are still playoff team that means all those teams dug their own grave with big veteran signings. If they are better than us we will pick in lottery in good draft. Whats that bad in our position ? We just replaced our ball handlers with two kids. I dont think you can ask for more. And dont tell me they need to play on ball all the time, thats how you produce divas like Westbrook or Harden. Playing off ball is important.

Because picking at 13 and picking at 5 are very different outcomes.

Or 10... the potential draft outcomes are dramatically different depending on where you end up in the lottery. If I’m not going to be competitive, then I’d prefer to lose a lot of games when the talent at the top of the subsequent draft is strong.

I know guys what you mean, but you oversimplify it to a point its painful to me. There is a balance between having bad team and high draft pick. The positive outcome changes from situation to situation and from year to year. You can have number 1 pick in generational draft like Pelicans with Davis, but if you strip your team of talent too much you wont get out of the hole.
Best outcomes are good teams lucking into top players in draft by
1. Injuries
2. Lottery luck
3. Trades ( for top picks)
4. Draft steals

If you aquire top pick from tanking you almost always lost before you even started. Building a team through draft is not a process of few years. You can build a veteran contender in one offseason, but you cant do it by draft. Even GSW needed 6 years with Curry to win championship.
Maybe the most important part is knowing your market and potential free agents. We are known as family spot. We should target older players with families who are looking for stabilization ( of course not always). You cant build a family atmosphere when you tear your team every two years. We wont retain players that way. In current era players can work their way out of the team even when they are bound by contract.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
D12VCMagic
Sixth Man
And1: 441

Post#63 » by D12VCMagic » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:06 pm

jonbob17 wrote:
D12VCMagic wrote:
drsd wrote:
Orlando is fairly likely to be a play-in team for the playoffs. As such, those two games (and hopefully 4 more playoff games) will be useful to help further develop a hunger.

The 72 games themselves leading to that; Orlando is to play hard. I have no doubt about that.

How many wins? Perhaps a 33-39 record for the #8 seed. Even if Charlotte and Atlanta overtake Orlando, the Magic still plays at least one play-in game as the #10 seed.

Now we have people acting like being a play in #10 seed is something to play for. :lol:

Those 15 minutes the two rookies get in the play in game against the 8th seed will make or break their career.

They will learn so much from losing the play in game. Mainly that they will need to get out of Orlando ASAP if they ever want to compete or be relevant to a national basketball audience.
OrlMagic05
Sixth Man
And1: 1,066

Post#64 » by OrlMagic05 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:27 pm

Skybox wrote:On a positive note...even if we don’t make another move, we have TWO mid-first picks coming in

On a Negative note.. Two mid-first picks that wont play much given the history of Clifford lol
zaymon
Lead Assistant

Post#65 » by zaymon » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:57 pm

OrlMagic05 wrote:
Skybox wrote:On a positive note...even if we don’t make another move, we have TWO mid-first picks coming in

On a Negative note.. Two mid-first picks that wont play much given the history of Clifford lol

Am i missing something ? Sometimes i wonder if its just lack of knowledge or spreading false information on purpose.
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,184

Post#66 » by Optimus_Steel » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:24 am

OrlMagic05 wrote:

Issac has played, he just keeps getting injured. It's not Clifford's fault that Bamba has Bambi's stamina.
aka: prorl
Optimus_Steel
RealGM

Post#67 » by Optimus_Steel » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:27 am

D12VCMagic wrote:
drsd wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:Next year is a wash without our best defensive player in Isaac and the rest of the east getting exponentially better. That’s not due to Orlando laying down, but because of injury and inaction on the FO part.

Now we have people acting like being a play in #10 seed is something to play for.
What's the point of the play in games? 72 games is more than enough to determine the 8th seed. Just a waste.
Rainwater
General Manager
And1: 5,643

Post#68 » by Rainwater » Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:17 am

drsd wrote:

Develop hunger for who exactly? I really believe when the Magic start winning again the key players from the last two playoff runs won't be on that team with the exception of maybe Isaac. I really believe those playoff runs were a waste of time and just a hindrance.
Rainwater
General Manager
And1: 5,643

Post#69 » by Rainwater » Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:06 am

The Magic are lucky there is a play in game because the Hawks, on paper, look like they have taken the 8th seed. That team is stacked. Feel bad for Cam and Hunter though they showed a lot of promise last year but I don't know if there will be a lot of mins with all those vets.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,925

Post#70 » by drsd » Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:58 am

Optimus_Steel wrote:What's the point of the play in games? 72 games is more than enough to determine the 8th seed. Just a waste.

The NBA is using this season to experiment with various potential changes.

The play-in games:
i) reduce tanking (play-ins could eliminate it if the #8-#15 seeds had an NCAA style play-in)
ii) they create revenue for more teams
iii) they create jobs for Arena employees
iv) they keep TV executives busy

More seriously I think the real notion is that in the missing 10-games the #10 seed could have powered to the #8 seed. So this is about "fairness".

OrlMagic05
Sixth Man

Post#71 » by OrlMagic05 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:43 pm

zaymon wrote:
OrlMagic05 wrote:

Am i missing something ? Sometimes i wonder if its just lack of knowledge or spreading false information on purpose.

Definitely not lack of knowledge. What rookie has ever played more than 20MPG other than Payton and Oladipo? Given the history of the Magic we should expect that Cole and Okeke will most likely play a very small role.
OrlMagic05
Sixth Man

Post#72 » by OrlMagic05 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:49 pm

Optimus_Steel wrote:
OrlMagic05 wrote:

Issac has played, he just keeps getting injured. It's not Clifford's fault that Bamba has Bambi's stamina.

I am talking about rookies not playing. Isaac only played 19mpg as a rookie and I agree with you about Bamba, its not cliffords fault that he lacks stamina. With all the lottery picks we have had over the past 7 years only Oladipo and Payton played more than 20mpg. Hell even Markelle had games were he played under 25minutes.
GelbeWand09
Rookie
And1: 1,414

Post#73 » by GelbeWand09 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:07 pm

zaymon wrote:
OrlMagic05 wrote:

Not sure if ''false information''. Depends on how you define ''won't play much''. When you check Cliffs history, in 7 seasons only 1 rookie played more than 20 minutes per game. Kaminsky a 4 year senior with 21 mpg. I think its fair to say, the chance is high that Chuma & Cole wont play much more.

In his defense, many of those players were bad, raw or had a underdeveloped body. But its still fair to say, he will play vets over rookies in most cases. But i think both gonna play good minutes, because Chuma plays defense & isnt that young & Cole doesnt have veteran competition.

The bigger problem in Orlando is, how the young players are involved in the offense, more than the raw mpg anyway.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,979

Post#74 » by MagicMatic » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:13 pm

zaymon wrote:
Xatticus wrote:
jonbob17 wrote:
Because picking at 13 and picking at 5 are very different outcomes.

Or 10... the potential draft outcomes are dramatically different depending on where you end up in the lottery. If I’m not going to be competitive, then I’d prefer to lose a lot of games when the talent at the top of the subsequent draft is strong.

I know guys what you mean, but you oversimplify it to a point its painful to me. There is a balance between having bad team and high draft pick. The positive outcome changes from situation to situation and from year to year. You can have number 1 pick in generational draft like Pelicans with Davis, but if you strip your team of talent too much you wont get out of the hole.
1. Injuries
2. Lottery luck
4. Draft steals

If you aquire top pick from tanking you almost always lost before you even started. Building a team through draft is not a process of few years. You can build a veteran contender in one offseason, but you cant do it by draft. Even GSW needed 6 years with Curry to win championship.
Maybe the most important part is knowing your market and potential free agents. We are known as family spot. We should target older players with families who are looking for stabilization ( of course not always). You cant build a family atmosphere when you tear your team every two years. We wont retain players that way. In current era players can work their way out of the team even when they are bound by contract.

The point is that the vets on this team are not the future of this franchise. The combination of AG/Fournier/Vuc has legitimately proven not to work 7 years running. Therefore, there is no reason to keep rolling them out together assuming anything will change. We had the healthiest season ever two years ago and we still hit a ceiling.

Maybe people forgot that the Dwight era identity was built solely around our #1 pick, and vets were later added. The chances of “landing” a go-to cornerstone superstar talent, while fielding a roster picking 10-15, are slimmer compared to picking top 5.

No, you can’t determine factors for injuries, trades, and steals. However, you also don’t roll out the same mediocre offense 7 years running expecting wildly different results earning anything other than a #8+ pick. I don’t understand the fascination with keeping these players, while remaining a fringe playoff team, to the detriment of the future pick odds.

Can you really say with a straight face that the 2017-2018 season was more important as a learning experience than landing Luka Doncic? The answer is no. Orlando could have traded all of their mediocre pieces if you knew Doncic was a reality. That’s one example only.

You’re not being realistic with how team building works with your “family environment” example. Milwaukee doesn’t become a perennial contender without drafting Giannis. They don’t draw talent to that city without him. They aren’t a free agent destination without him. They retain their talent if they keep him. That’s why they are doing everything possible to appease him. Orlando is no different. Players want to win.

Orlando MUST draft that level of talent to be a desirable destination. It’s not that complicated.
Optimus_Steel
RealGM

Post#75 » by Optimus_Steel » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:02 am

OrlMagic05 wrote:
Optimus_Steel wrote:
OrlMagic05 wrote:

I am talking about rookies not playing. Isaac only played 19mpg as a rookie and I agree with you about Bamba, its not cliffords fault that he lacks stamina. With all the lottery picks we have had over the past 7 years only Oladipo and Payton played more than 20mpg. Hell even Markelle had games were he played under 25minutes.
We've also had rookies injured. AG, Issac, Bamba all missed significant time due to injury as rookies. Seems to me if they stay healthy they would have played them more.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,298

Post#76 » by pepe1991 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:27 am

GelbeWand09 wrote:
zaymon wrote:
OrlMagic05 wrote:

Not sure if ''false information''. Depends on how you define ''won't play much''. When you check Cliffs history, in 7 seasons only 1 rookie played more than 20 minutes per game. Kaminsky a 4 year senior with 21 mpg. I think its fair to say, the chance is high that Chuma & Cole wont play much more.

In his defense, many of those players were bad, raw or had a underdeveloped body. But its still fair to say, he will play vets over rookies in most cases. But i think both gonna play good minutes, because Chuma plays defense & isnt that young & Cole doesnt have veteran competition.

The bigger problem in Orlando is, how the young players are involved in the offense, more than the raw mpg anyway.

Is that really fair assumption given who those rookies were?
Cody Zeller- rotation player. Played him 17 mpg ( complete waste of lottery pick)
Noah Vonleh- fringe bench player. Waste of lottery pick
Kaminsky -very average role player- waste of lottery pick
Malik Monk- deep bench guy- waste of lottery pick

They were just flat out pathetic when it comes to drafting.

Cliff did play young MKG, young Kemba... During 14-15 Zeller (21), MKG (20) and Kemba (24) were starters. Even 22 years old Biyombo started over 1/3 of all games.
It's not like he flat out refuses to play young player, he never really got elite prospect to work with :dontknow:

In retrospective can you blame Scott Skiles for hating Payton and refusing to play Hezonja? Not really. Guy was right about them.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
zaymon
Lead Assistant

Post#77 » by zaymon » Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:53 am

MagicMatic wrote:
zaymon wrote:
Xatticus wrote:

1. Injuries
2. Lottery luck
4. Draft steals

The point is that the vets on this team are not the future of this franchise. The combination of AG/Fournier/Vuc has legitimately proven not to work 7 years running. Therefore, there is no reason to keep rolling them out together assuming anything will change. We had the healthiest season ever two years ago and we still hit a ceiling.

Maybe people forgot that the Dwight era identity was built solely around our #1 pick, and vets were later added. The chances of “landing” a go-to cornerstone superstar talent, while fielding a roster picking 10-15, are slimmer compared to picking top 5.

No, you can’t determine factors for injuries, trades, and steals. However, you also don’t roll out the same mediocre offense 7 years running expecting wildly different results earning anything other than a #8+ pick. I don’t understand the fascination with keeping these players, while remaining a fringe playoff team, to the detriment of the future pick odds.

Can you really say with a straight face that the 2017-2018 season was more important as a learning experience than landing Luka Doncic? The answer is no. Orlando could have traded all of their mediocre pieces if you knew Doncic was a reality. That’s one example only.

You’re not being realistic with how team building works with your “family environment” example. Milwaukee doesn’t become a perennial contender without drafting Giannis. They don’t draw talent to that city without him. They aren’t a free agent destination without him. They retain their talent if they keep him. That’s why they are doing everything possible to appease him. Orlando is no different. Players want to win.

Orlando MUST draft that level of talent to be a desirable destination. It’s not that complicated.

I think you are too obsessed with one team building option. I am not saying your strategy wont work, becouse it did in the past, but there is more than one viable team building strategy nowadays. Full rebuild works more often when you have star players to trade. Last time we had McGrady, than Howard, Weltman had no one with value. 76ers process model is mostly destroyed by changed lottery odds.

I agree that our future is not about AG, Fournier and Vucevic. I dont think you will find one person here who believes that. There is still a question though how long they will remain useful and when is the perfect time to flip them. All 3 of them present combination of size and skill.
You want to tank, but for the last 2 years we were able to aquire two lottery talent players who Weltman targeted. Why tank if you can pick the players you wanted in the middle of the first round ? There are teams build around mid first round talent ( Heat, Warriors, Bucks, Nuggets, Jazz).

I dont expect Fournier/Vucevic offense to lead us much longer. In his latest interview asked about Fultz/Anthony combination Clifford said that he eventually envisions us playing with two good pick and roll players similar to Raptors.

Look its not that we have no young talent. I know you are low on them, but maybe it would be wise to give them some time to show what they are capable of ? Its not like we gave Fultz, Anthony and Okeke any chance to succed. Observing Weltman decisions it seems like they think we hit on some rookies, or maybe they just decided we will get more for Gordon and Fournier at the trade deadline.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,925

Post#78 » by drsd » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:25 pm

zaymon wrote:Why tank if you can pick the players you wanted in the middle of the first round ? There are teams build around mid first round talent ( Heat, Warriors, Bucks, Nuggets, Jazz).

And-1

Look: historically good teams have winning traditions. And teams that went from bad to good went through mediocre to get there.

The Sixers: they suck on the road. This proves that learning to win is actually a thing. And it is a thing beyond "talent" and "team".

Gordon and Fournier need to go, if nothing else because they were both taught to lose. Vučević can hang around because, i) there is no replacement for him and ii) what's the difference anyhow.

Orlando is leveraging its future on Fultz and Isaac and night-time prayers are for two of Bamba, Okeke or Anthony to develop.

In two-years time when Orlando has, for example, Fultz, Isaac, Okeke, and Bamba as starters, the Magic will be exactly were they always saw themselves: one max-level wing away from a good starting five.

pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,298

Post#79 » by pepe1991 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:54 pm

Tanking as strategy is either complete sucess or complete failure. Very little middle ground.
Almost all best nba players in history were top 3 picks ( Jordan, Lebron, Magic, Hakeem, Duncan,David Robinson, Durant...)

but probability of falling from top 3 pick is very high, especially now. Worst record has 47% chance to draft 5th. 3rd worst record is almost given to draft 6th but can fall to 7#.
And once you fail to reach top 5 ( actually top 3 ) pick, you are basically... f***ed.

For example 6th overall pick didn't land allstar since 2006.
8th overall draft pick didn't have allstar since Vin Baker in 1993 :lol:
10th pick, since Horace Grant to today, 33 years later, ended up being great player 3 times.

Once you fall from 10th spot you are screwed.

It's impossible to plan to win lottery. You can have 0-72 record this year and draft 5th.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,979

Post#80 » by MagicMatic » Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:34 pm

zaymon wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:
zaymon wrote:
1. Injuries
2. Lottery luck
4. Draft steals

I think you are too obsessed with one team building option. I am not saying your strategy wont work, becouse it did in the past, but there is more than one viable team building strategy nowadays. Full rebuild works more often when you have star players to trade. Last time we had McGrady, than Howard, Weltman had no one with value. 76ers process model is mostly destroyed by changed lottery odds.

I agree that our future is not about AG, Fournier and Vucevic. I dont think you will find one person here who believes that. There is still a question though how long they will remain useful and when is the perfect time to flip them. All 3 of them present combination of size and skill.
You want to tank, but for the last 2 years we were able to aquire two lottery talent players who Weltman targeted. Why tank if you can pick the players you wanted in the middle of the first round ? There are teams build around mid first round talent ( Heat, Warriors, Bucks, Nuggets, Jazz).

I dont expect Fournier/Vucevic offense to lead us much longer. In his latest interview asked about Fultz/Anthony combination Clifford said that he eventually envisions us playing with two good pick and roll players similar to Raptors.

Look its not that we have no young talent. I know you are low on them, but maybe it would be wise to give them some time to show what they are capable of ? Its not like we gave Fultz, Anthony and Okeke any chance to succed. Observing Weltman decisions it seems like they think we hit on some rookies, or maybe they just decided we will get more for Gordon and Fournier at the trade deadline.

Too obsessed? I’m being realistic with the available options.

You have to have assets to be able to make trades. Orlando is in a situation where they don’t have a star level player and can’t trade for one going into their prime.

So what’s the best option? The draft. You get 7-8 years of a guy under contract to build a legitimate team. Many teams are doing this now. New Orleans, Boston, Dallas, Memphis, Denver, Atlanta , etc. They land their cornerstone(s) and add from there. Teams like Miami, Brooklyn, LAClippers, have stashed assets and are desirable locations for specific circumstantial situations. Whether or not they pay off is another topic.

Orlando is the former and not the later example. We couldn’t trade or draw these players in free agency. If you believe otherwise, I have a timeshare to sell you in aspen.

What do you mean “why tank if we got middle of the round players?” We drafted Bamba and not Young or Doncic. We drafted Okeke and not Herro, Reddish, or Morant. Recently we drafted Anthony over Killian Hayes and Avdija. I don’t trust our FO’s drafting ability. Therefore, I’d rather they “idiot proof” their picks.

Get the point? We rolled out Vuc/Fournier/and AG wanting “playoffs” at the expense of landing a real star. Not all of those players are cornerstones, but you put yourself in the situation to make it a possibility. You don’t land that cornerstone picking behind teams that have rebuilt in less time. We’ve done it for years and it’s just been wasting time IMO. You wouldn’t claim the last 4 years were building to anything substantial because we are worse off than we were 2 years ago. Not only that, the basketball isn’t even worth watching as a consolation.

I’m not “low” on the talent. I’m judging them through the lens in which they were acquired. Picks #15, #16 and a project big at #6 in a 5 player draft. If they prove to be decent players, great! There is no go-to guy that will attract talent on this roster. These are likely role players - solid starters at best.

I’m not even sure what your argument is anymore. Are you saying that drafting at the top isn’t the best way of landing a cornerstone? Are you saying Orlando lands their next up and coming all star in free agency, in a trade, or in the middle of the draft after 8-10 teams make their selections? If so, history and data says you’re wrong in most cases.

Return to Orlando Magic