ImageImageImageImage

Does Orlando have a legit shot at Giannis in 2021?

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Rainwater
General Manager
And1: 5,586

Re: Does Orlando have a legit shot at Giannis in 2021? 

Post#21 » by Rainwater » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:04 pm

Don't mean to be mean but

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#22 » by SD2042 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:06 am

Let's get real here. Given where this team currently stands, why would a superstar even look toward the Magic as the next destination? What has this team truly establish in the last eight seasons? Six years of rebuilds. Two years of mediocre seasons with 8th seed rankings just to qualify for a pair of first round playoff exits. I know this is not the New York Knicks. However, this team does not have a strong culture necessary to attract key free agents to Orlando. This team is a small market business that would have to shell out tons of money like Charlotte had to with Gordon Hayward this weekend to play for them. Teams like Charlotte and Atlanta is looking to pass this team based on their off-season moves. That said, they must build on their new chemistry and improve on theirs respectively.

If this team wants to be taken seriously, they know what must be done. Because being mediocre is not going to cut it. Otherwise, it's a waste of time to continue to be tortured by the indecisions the Magic mgmt continues to make. There's too much going on in life to be held hostage by indecisons and inconsistencies. The Magic have a lot of work cut out for them if they want to gain some better sense of respect and the backbone to contend better in the Eastern Conference. They better get on it yesterday.
T-Cat
Sixth Man
And1: 428

Post#23 » by T-Cat » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:12 am

purpleswordfish wrote:I feel like the first question you have to ask yourself is "what does Orlando give a free agent like Giannis that Milwaukee doesn't?" I can't think of any advantage the Magic have over his current team at the moment. I would expect the Magic front office to at least make the phone call, but I can't imagine anything substantial would come of it.

1) Orlando has young talent to build around for the future unlike the Bucks

2) No state taxes and Disney World ( Wonderful sales pitch to Giannis and his family)

3) We have a track record of playing competitive basketball, so this upcoming season we can surprise some teams!
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,599

Post#24 » by BadMofoPimp » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:14 am

No. I say no chance in hell.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
D12VCMagic
Sixth Man
And1: 441

Post#25 » by D12VCMagic » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:51 am

T-Cat wrote:
purpleswordfish wrote:I feel like the first question you have to ask yourself is "what does Orlando give a free agent like Giannis that Milwaukee doesn't?" I can't think of any advantage the Magic have over his current team at the moment. I would expect the Magic front office to at least make the phone call, but I can't imagine anything substantial would come of it.

2) No state taxes and Disney World ( Wonderful sales pitch to Giannis and his family)

3) We have a track record of playing competitive basketball, so this upcoming season we can surprise some teams!

1.If Giannis wants to team up with young guys (he won’t), there are plenty of teams with a better young core than the Magic.

2.Miami also has no state income tax and has a better young core than us. Plus a star player and South Beach.

3.Our track record is that every star that has been here has wanted out.

Nothing wrong with optimism, but we need some literal magic to lure Giannis down to Orlando. If he leaves Milwaukee it’s going to be Miami, Golden State or Dallas.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM

Post#26 » by BadMofoPimp » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:53 am

D12VCMagic wrote:
T-Cat wrote:

1.If Giannis wants to team up with young guys (he won’t), there are plenty of teams with a better young core than the Magic.

2.Miami also has no state income tax and has a better young core than us. Plus a star player and South Beach.

3.Our track record is that every star that has been here has wanted out.

Nothing wrong with optimism, but we need some literal magic to lure Giannis down to Orlando. If he leaves Milwaukee it’s going to be Miami, Golden State or Dallas.

Miami is on pace to have only $45 mil in salary at that time so they could add Giannis plus whomever else they want.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
Rainwater
General Manager
And1: 5,586

Post#27 » by Rainwater » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:21 am

T-Cat wrote:

1 and 3 are such a stretch, lol.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,401

Post#28 » by Bensational » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:10 am

We would need some John Gabriel type front office magic to make us appealing to Giannis. We'd need to wipe enough space for two max FAs, whilst also having a good, young, affordable base whilst proving to be a team that can transcend it's talent.

We have none of those options currently available to us. Hence, zero appeal to Giannis.
shadrock
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,521

Post#29 » by shadrock » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:30 am

Delete this.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,614

Post#30 » by Skybox » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:32 am

No. But we could compromise a bit and get Westbrook. Pretty easily it seems...Today!

DO IT!
T-Cat
Sixth Man

Post#31 » by T-Cat » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:56 am

Bensational wrote:We would need some John Gabriel type front office magic to make us appealing to Giannis. We'd need to wipe enough space for two max FAs, whilst also having a good, young, affordable base whilst proving to be a team that can transcend it's talent.

We have none of those options currently available to us. Hence, zero appeal to Giannis.

I agree! When we added Tracy McGrady and Grant Hill in 2000, it was no accident!

Also I find it interesting that we haven't extended Fultz and Jonathan Isaac yet!
BadMofoPimp
RealGM

Post#32 » by BadMofoPimp » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:46 pm

T-Cat wrote:
Bensational wrote:We would need some John Gabriel type front office magic to make us appealing to Giannis. We'd need to wipe enough space for two max FAs, whilst also having a good, young, affordable base whilst proving to be a team that can transcend it's talent.

I agree! When we added Tracy McGrady and Grant Hill in 2000, it was no accident!

Also I find it interesting that we haven't extended Fultz and Jonathan Isaac yet!

Unless Isaac can accept some low priced deal, I would wait to see how his knee progresses. We don't need to be in a situation where we are tied to an injured player who is a shell of his former self for years strapping the cap. As far as Fultz is concerned, it may be a negotiation. He hasn't earned a high priced deal by far, but may be seeking one so they could be at a stalemate until a deal that works for both sides is accomplished.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,912

Post#33 » by drsd » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:31 pm

I do think the Heat will be a contender for him.
dc
Head Coach
And1: 8,592

Post#34 » by dc » Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:05 am

You need to line up 2 MAX salary slots 1-2 years in advance and then have Shaq and some additional big names (Penny/Dwight) talking about what a great experience their years in Orlando were and what a great organization it is.

That's essentially what happened in 2000. Clean up the perception of the organization and it can happen again. You guys have the tax situation and weather that NBA players love. It just seems that ever since Lebron took his talents to South Beach, that Miami took over the mantle of being the Florida FA destination that Orlando once occupied.
Brian Geltzeiler: You see Mark Jackson getting a head coaching job as early as next year?

Adrian Wojnarowski: Not if people make calls on him. Not if an organization is doing their homework and knows all the things he brings with him.
Bonafide89
Junior
And1: 160

Post#35 » by Bonafide89 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:00 am

Anti Chalmers wrote:Maybe on 2k
Ha

Sent from my SM-G930V using RealGM mobile app
Flannerz
Pro Prospect
And1: 499

Post#36 » by Flannerz » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:24 pm

Magic_Johnny12
RealGM
And1: 8,454

Post#37 » by Magic_Johnny12 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:42 pm

I'm genuinely impressed with your subtle trolling.
PM me if you can help a brotha finally get an AVI.
T-Cat
Sixth Man

Post#38 » by T-Cat » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:31 am

Flannerz wrote:Image

I'll remember this tweet! :nod:
Flannerz
Pro Prospect
And1: 499

Post#39 » by Flannerz » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:09 pm

T-Cat wrote:
Flannerz wrote:Image

I'll remember this tweet! :nod:

I would like nothing more than for you to say "I told you so"!
Message Boar
Veteran
And1: 1,689

Post#40 » by Message Boar » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:34 pm

No.

Return to Orlando Magic