ImageImageImageImage

Official 2021 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: Howard Mass, UCF, ChosenSavior, Knightro, SOUL, Def Swami, UCFJayBird

JBSouthpaw
Starter
Posts: 2,231
And1: 818
Joined: Mar 01, 2011

Re: Official 2021 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1661 » by JBSouthpaw » Wed Apr 7, 2021 12:27 pm

tiderulz wrote:
Knightro wrote:
tiderulz wrote:can we take yet another PG?


Giddey? Probably not. His skill set isn't quite different enough from the guys already here to justify it.

Suggs? Absolutely.

Neither Fultz or Anthony are good enough/proven enough to justify passing on Suggs if you believe he can be a top tier point guard.

yes, of course if we get Cade as a PG or Suggs then we take him, i just cant see taking another PG in the 2nd round


I just want a shooter in the 2nd, I don't care what position, I'd prefer a senor, someone who can come in right a way and add the value of shooting. Garza, Duarte, Grimes, whoever it takes.

Let me ask you this,

Do you view Cole as a PG?
How about Hampton?
I think I view RJ as a PG over Cole, but way early to tell.
How do you call a PG vs. SG guard? By who they guard? or Lead ball handler?
Right now, it seems like we have a good balance, (when healthy) Fultz is our lead ball handler, but Cole and RJ both can get by.
Fultz and RJ can guard both positions, (MCW too, but not counting him).
So, Fultz may be lead ball handler, he may guard the other team's SG if paired with Cole, but not if paired with Harris.
User avatar
tiderulz
RealGM
Posts: 30,785
And1: 11,391
Joined: Jun 16, 2010
Location: Atlanta
 

Re: Official 2021 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1662 » by tiderulz » Wed Apr 7, 2021 12:29 pm

JBSouthpaw wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
Knightro wrote:
Giddey? Probably not. His skill set isn't quite different enough from the guys already here to justify it.

Suggs? Absolutely.

Neither Fultz or Anthony are good enough/proven enough to justify passing on Suggs if you believe he can be a top tier point guard.

yes, of course if we get Cade as a PG or Suggs then we take him, i just cant see taking another PG in the 2nd round


I just want a shooter in the 2nd, I don't care what position, I'd prefer a senor, someone who can come in right a way and add the value of shooting. Garza, Duarte, Grimes, whoever it takes.

Let me ask you this,

Do you view Cole as a PG?
How about Hampton?
I think I view RJ as a PG over Cole, but way early to tell.
How do you call a PG vs. SG guard? By who they guard? or Lead ball handler?
Right now, it seems like we have a good balance, (when healthy) Fultz is our lead ball handler, but Cole and RJ both can get by.
Fultz and RJ can guard both positions, (MCW too, but not counting him).
So, Fultz may be lead ball handler, he may guard the other team's SG if paired with Cole, but not if paired with Harris.

I think its too early to call what Cole will be. He may be a Lou Williams type of player. I agree its hard to call a PG vs SG. I would say the PG initiates the offense. Not sure ive seen enough of RJ to say what i think his true role should be. Shoot, the front office may be looking at the guards like they look at the forwards, interchangeable. Have all the guards being able to handle the ball whenever needed.
User avatar
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
Posts: 10,052
And1: 11,659
Joined: Dec 18, 2010
Location: Orlando, FL
 

Re: Official 2021 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1663 » by Knightro » Wed Apr 7, 2021 1:08 pm

I know I'm higher on Barnes as a prospect than most people. But like I said, I wouldn't pick him over Suggs or Green or even Kuminga.

The earliest I'd take him is probably 6th.

I just adore his defense. When I watch him play, I can see a guy with the length, recovery speed, lateral quickness and high motor to legitimately defend all sorts of guards, wings and some fours.

Offensively there's legitimate point guard caliber feel as a passer and creator for others. I wouldn't play him at PG necessarily, but his ability to handle the ball and find teammates at his size is very intriguing. We've all see how much a guy like Okeke can be effective just being a good and willing passer at the 3/4 and Barnes is way past that at a much younger age.

The problem is he needs to be a dominant defender and a high end shot creator for others immediately because his shooting needs a *lot* of work.

If he could shoot well right now, he'd be the No. 1 overall pick without a doubt in my mind, but you just can't ignore it in an offensive minded league. The lack of shooting is what's going to make him be picked somewhere between 6 and 15.
Nyce_1
RealGM
Posts: 11,297
And1: 5,117
Joined: Jun 29, 2009
Location: Tampa
 

Re: Official 2021 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1664 » by Nyce_1 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 1:46 pm

Knightro wrote:
If he could shoot well right now, he'd be the No. 1 overall pick without a doubt in my mind, but you just can't ignore it. The lack of shoot is what's going to make him be picked somewhere between 6 and 15.

this is what Weltman is thinking too. Scottie identifies as the type of players our FO prefers; long, athletic, versatile, defensive-minded, high-skill. Jeff is thinking "he'll learn to shoot".

I would not be surprised 1 bit if Barnes is our pick.

side note: shout out to my Noles!

Isaac
Mann
Vassell
P.Williams
Beasley
Bacon

and soon Barnes. Program has turned the corner and is putting out quality players with the same reliable skillsets. That alone alone gives me comfort in the thought taking Barnes with either pick.

I remember clamoring to trade for Beasley when Den put him on the block. He'd be so nice here with our group (*on the court* - off court is a different story, lol).
Image
User avatar
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
Posts: 10,052
And1: 11,659
Joined: Dec 18, 2010
Location: Orlando, FL
 

Re: Official 2021 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1665 » by Knightro » Wed Apr 7, 2021 2:01 pm

Nyce_1 wrote:this is what Weltman is thinking too. Scottie identifies as the type of players our FO prefers; long, athletic, versatile, defensive-minded, high-skill. Jeff is thinking "he'll learn to shoot".


The question with Barnes and the Magic obviously comes down to fit.

The Magic already have Okeke and Isaac who they appear ready to move forward with as frontcourt players. Barnes is probably going to have to play in the frontcourt as well.

A 3-man rotation of Isaac/Okeke/Barnes at the two forward spots would be interesting, but it wouldn't address the clear issues the Magic face with shot creation from the backcourt and on the wing. Because of that, the Magic would almost certainly need to go another direction with their first pick, provided other players are also still available.

As far as the "learn to shoot" thing, the argument that someone like Weltman would presumably make...

What's easier to teach a player? Shooting or court vision? Shoot or defensive instincts?

Theoretically shooting can be developed with intense repetition that ultimately become muscle memory.

Passing, instincts, basketball IQ aren't really things you truly develop. They are all really more of a feel thing that you either have naturally or you don't.
User avatar
D J C
Senior
Posts: 641
And1: 300
Joined: Feb 27, 2007

Re: Official 2021 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1666 » by D J C » Wed Apr 7, 2021 2:05 pm

Anyone else super high on Alperen Sengun? He's one of my top realistic choices for the Chicago pick at the moment.

What he's doing at 18 years old in the third best league in the world outside of the NBA has been incredibly impressive.

Stats (rank in league):
19.3 PPG (2nd)
9.3 RPG (2nd)
1.6 BPG (2nd)
1.3 SPG (16th)
69% TS (1st)
64.5% EFG (1st)
80.6% FT on 6+ FTA/G
26.42 PER (1st / 2nd place coming in at 21.44)

A big knock on him has been his size. He measured in at 6'9 with a 7'1 wingspan at 17 y/o.. I think he comes in at 6'10+ at the combine and thats definitely enough size to play in the interior in the game today.

His athleticism has been questioned too, but watching tape its not really a concern right now. He's up to 240-lb already and carries the weight well. He's light on his feet, has a bit of bounce, more than guys like Hansborough and Kanter who I've seen him compared to.

Watching his tape vs Sweden in February you get a good glimpse of his overall game. You see the hustle on boards and on defense. He shows a few nice post moves. A few good passes, from out of the post and from the perimeter. There's a few good drives where he shows a solid handle and beats his guy to the rim. He even shows good form and hits a step back 3, which isnt in his consistent arsenal yet but if he expands his range out there it takes his game to the next level.

He's a guy i'd take a chance on, and outside of the consensus top 5 I think you can make the argument for him over anyone.
User avatar
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
Posts: 10,052
And1: 11,659
Joined: Dec 18, 2010
Location: Orlando, FL
 

Re: Official 2021 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1667 » by Knightro » Wed Apr 7, 2021 2:23 pm

D J C wrote:Anyone else super high on Alperen Sengun? He's one of my top realistic choices for the Chicago pick at the moment.

What he's doing at 18 years old in the third best league in the world outside of the NBA has been incredibly impressive.

Stats (rank in league):
19.3 PPG (2nd)
9.3 RPG (2nd)
1.6 BPG (2nd)
1.3 SPG (16th)
69% TS (1st)
64.5% EFG (1st)
80.6% FT on 6+ FTA/G
26.42 PER (1st / 2nd place coming in at 21.44)

A big knock on him has been his size. He measured in at 6'9 with a 7'1 wingspan at 17 y/o.. I think he comes in at 6'10+ at the combine and thats definitely enough size to play in the interior in the game today.

His athleticism has been questioned too, but watching tape its not really a concern right now. He's up to 240-lb already and carries the weight well. He's light on his feet, has a bit of bounce, more than guys like Hansborough and Kanter who I've seen him compared to.

Watching his tape vs Sweden in February you get a good glimpse of his overall game. You see the hustle on boards and on defense. He shows a few nice post moves. A few good passes, from out of the post and from the perimeter. There's a few good drives where he shows a solid handle and beats his guy to the rim. He even shows good form and hits a step back 3, which isnt in his consistent arsenal yet but if he expands his range out there it takes his game to the next level.

He's a guy i'd take a chance on, and outside of the consensus top 5 I think you can make the argument for him over anyone.


Yes, I think he's fantastic. I have him 8th overall on my big board.

He's going to win MVP of a *really good* Turkish Super League at 18 years old. Extreme production against top competition at a very young age. I'm certainly not saying he's Luka Doncic (he's not), but dominating a good European League as a teenager is something only Doncic has really done until Sengun.

Every team is geared up to stop him and they just aren't able to. He overpowers smaller defenders *and* out quicks bigger defenders. So he's winning multiple ways. And now as teams have resigned themselves to just sending double teams at him and he's been beating people with his passing and court vision. An 18 year old center averaging 2.5 APG on top of his scoring and rebounding? Oh yes.

The one thing he doesn't do right now is make threes, but he's almost 80% from the line. I don't think his shot is broken, it's just not developed out to 23 feet yet.

The glaring issue obviously is how do you get him on the floor? It appears he can only play center and the Magic already have 21 and 22 year-old former lotto pick centers on the roster.

Now if you think Sengun is going to better than WCJ and Bamba, then it's no real issue. You just pick him and trade those guys away or whatever.

But if you think he's comparable to WCJ, then how can you pick him? Because you can't play those guys together and everyone right now is understandably high on what WCJ has brought to the table thus far.
User avatar
thelead
RealGM
Posts: 26,918
And1: 14,785
Joined: Apr 08, 2008
 

Re: Official 2021 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1668 » by thelead » Wed Apr 7, 2021 2:32 pm

I'm not worried about defense at the moment. It would be great to find a two-way star but what we've been missing for a very long time is a walking bucket. That is why I have Green and Cade in their own tier right now. It's 2021 and offense is king in the NBA right now. We have enough defensive pieces to make Cade or Green work if they can become efficient 25ppg+ scorers.
Image
User avatar
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
Posts: 10,052
And1: 11,659
Joined: Dec 18, 2010
Location: Orlando, FL
 

Re: Official 2021 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1669 » by Knightro » Wed Apr 7, 2021 2:49 pm

thelead wrote:I'm not worried about defense at the moment. It would be great to find a two-way star but what we've been missing for a very long time is a walking bucket. That is why I have Green and Cade in their own tier right now. It's 2021 and offense is king in the NBA right now. We have enough defensive pieces to make Cade or Green work if they can become efficient 25ppg+ scorers.


Can't disagree with you here.

My board specifically for the Magic is 1. Cunningham, 2. Suggs, 3. Green and 4. Trade up for one of the three.

I do think there are other guys who are going to be damn good pros if they get in the right system and get the right coaching, but in terms of just pure fit, these three are definitely ahead of everyone else for the Magic.

And if you believe in Okeke, Isaac and WCJ as complimentary pieces to move forward with, then the desire for one of the three guys listed goes up even more.
User avatar
thelead
RealGM
Posts: 26,918
And1: 14,785
Joined: Apr 08, 2008
 

Re: Official 2021 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1670 » by thelead » Wed Apr 7, 2021 2:54 pm

Knightro wrote:
thelead wrote:I'm not worried about defense at the moment. It would be great to find a two-way star but what we've been missing for a very long time is a walking bucket. That is why I have Green and Cade in their own tier right now. It's 2021 and offense is king in the NBA right now. We have enough defensive pieces to make Cade or Green work if they can become efficient 25ppg+ scorers.


Can't disagree with you here.

My board specifically for the Magic is 1. Cunningham, 2. Suggs, 3. Green and 4. Trade up for one of the three.

I do think there are other guys who are going to be damn good pros if they get in the right system and get the right coaching, but in terms of just pure fit, these three are definitely ahead of everyone else for the Magic.

And if you believe in Okeke, Isaac and WCJ as complimentary pieces to move forward with, then the desire for one of the three guys listed goes up even more.

That's where I'm at right now as well. If we don't get lucky, we're going to need to try to trade up to grab our scorer. I'm not sure about Suggs scoring abilities but that's another topic altogether. Not that I don't think he can score, more of 'can he be the walking bucket when needed?'
Image
User avatar
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
Posts: 10,052
And1: 11,659
Joined: Dec 18, 2010
Location: Orlando, FL
 

Re: Official 2021 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1671 » by Knightro » Wed Apr 7, 2021 3:09 pm

thelead wrote:That's where I'm at right now as well. If we don't get lucky, we're going to need to try to trade up to grab our scorer. I'm not sure about Suggs scoring abilities but that's another topic altogether. Not that I don't think he can score, more of 'can he be the walking bucket when needed?'


I think that's a legitimate question and one that I've asked myself a lot.

Did Jalen Suggs willingly set up shop as No. 3 in the Gonzaga pecking order because his team was so stacked? They went 31-2 without him last year and were going to be a 1 seed/title contender before COVID. Plus they clearly didn't need him to dominate their shot attempts and usage to still win.

Or did he blend in because that's just the kind of player he is and he'll struggle to adjust in the NBA when a team inevitably asks him to be the No. 1 focal point of their offense?

I've talked myself into thinking it's the former and Suggs won't have much of an issue taking on a bigger role in the NBA, but there's a little bit of wonder in the back of mind how he'll handle it.
User avatar
MoMM
General Manager
Posts: 9,402
And1: 1,249
Joined: Jan 08, 2002
Location: Brazilian living in Berlin
Contact:
       

Re: Official 2021 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1672 » by MoMM » Wed Apr 7, 2021 3:17 pm

Knightro wrote:
D J C wrote:Anyone else super high on Alperen Sengun? He's one of my top realistic choices for the Chicago pick at the moment.

What he's doing at 18 years old in the third best league in the world outside of the NBA has been incredibly impressive.

Stats (rank in league):
19.3 PPG (2nd)
9.3 RPG (2nd)
1.6 BPG (2nd)
1.3 SPG (16th)
69% TS (1st)
64.5% EFG (1st)
80.6% FT on 6+ FTA/G
26.42 PER (1st / 2nd place coming in at 21.44)

A big knock on him has been his size. He measured in at 6'9 with a 7'1 wingspan at 17 y/o.. I think he comes in at 6'10+ at the combine and thats definitely enough size to play in the interior in the game today.

His athleticism has been questioned too, but watching tape its not really a concern right now. He's up to 240-lb already and carries the weight well. He's light on his feet, has a bit of bounce, more than guys like Hansborough and Kanter who I've seen him compared to.

Watching his tape vs Sweden in February you get a good glimpse of his overall game. You see the hustle on boards and on defense. He shows a few nice post moves. A few good passes, from out of the post and from the perimeter. There's a few good drives where he shows a solid handle and beats his guy to the rim. He even shows good form and hits a step back 3, which isnt in his consistent arsenal yet but if he expands his range out there it takes his game to the next level.

He's a guy i'd take a chance on, and outside of the consensus top 5 I think you can make the argument for him over anyone.


Yes, I think he's fantastic. I have him 8th overall on my big board.

He's going to win MVP of a *really good* Turkish Super League at 18 years old. Extreme production against top competition at a very young age. I'm certainly not saying he's Luka Doncic (he's not), but dominating a good European League as a teenager is something only Doncic has really done until Sengun.

Every team is geared up to stop him and they just aren't able to. He overpowers smaller defenders *and* out quicks bigger defenders. So he's winning multiple ways. And now as teams have resigned themselves to just sending double teams at him and he's been beating people with his passing and court vision. An 18 year old center averaging 2.5 APG on top of his scoring and rebounding? Oh yes.

The one thing he doesn't do right now is make threes, but he's almost 80% from the line. I don't think his shot is broken, it's just not developed out to 23 feet yet.

The glaring issue obviously is how do you get him on the floor? It appears he can only play center and the Magic already have 21 and 22 year-old former lotto pick centers on the roster.

Now if you think Sengun is going to better than WCJ and Bamba, then it's no real issue. You just pick him and trade those guys away or whatever.

But if you think he's comparable to WCJ, then how can you pick him? Because you can't play those guys together and everyone right now is understandably high on what WCJ has brought to the table thus far.

Do you think that Alperen will come to NBA next season or he will remain in Europe for 1-2 years?
User avatar
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
Posts: 10,052
And1: 11,659
Joined: Dec 18, 2010
Location: Orlando, FL
 

Re: Official 2021 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1673 » by Knightro » Wed Apr 7, 2021 3:42 pm

MoMM wrote:Do you think that Alperen will come to NBA next season or he will remain in Europe for 1-2 years?


Sounds like he wants to come over immediately.

“Some people say for me: ‘Let him gain 1-2 more years of experience’ and some say ‘let him go as soon as possible and develop there. Actually, I want to go there as soon as possible and develop there,” Sengun said to Turkish Anadolu News Agency.

https://www.eurohoops.net/en/nba-news/1185751/alperen-sengun-i-want-to-go-the-nba-as-soon-as-possible/
User avatar
thelead
RealGM
Posts: 26,918
And1: 14,785
Joined: Apr 08, 2008
 

Re: Official 2021 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1674 » by thelead » Wed Apr 7, 2021 3:44 pm

Why isn't efficiency not an important factor to a lot of big boards? Looking through who could be available with the bulls pick, I found Jaden Springer being available in the late teens... He's shooting 47/44/81 as a freshman on a good team. And then I go look at his highlights and I see this:



So far, this is my guy with the bulls pick
Image
The Effect
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
Posts: 3,411
And1: 1,332
Joined: Jul 09, 2004

Re: Official 2021 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1675 » by The Effect » Wed Apr 7, 2021 3:51 pm

The more and more i watch (youtube scouting ftw :lol: ) the more i think Green is my #1

I love cade and suggs, (my 2 and 3), but i think their biggest strengths (playmaking) arent AS needed on this team as Greens scoring ability because of Fultz ability to run the offense, along with Cole and RJ. Yes i know that Cade and Suggs are probably better at running the offense long term, and believe me ill be very happy if they are picked, but i really think we need a scorer, a potential 25ppg guy, basically bradley beal level scorer who can score from anywhere on the court and can put the team on his back and take over games. Cade\suggs can do that too, but maybe not on Greens level
Skin
RealGM
Posts: 16,120
And1: 7,657
Joined: Jul 03, 2009
   

Re: Official 2021 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1676 » by Skin » Wed Apr 7, 2021 4:06 pm

thelead wrote:Why isn't efficiency not an important factor to a lot of big boards? Looking through who could be available with the bulls pick, I found Jaden Springer being available in the late teens... He's shooting 47/44/81 as a freshman on a good team. And then I go look at his highlights and I see this:



So far, this is my guy with the bulls pick

If the pick is in the Top 10 then I just have other guys ahead of him. Springer loves to score in the key and I don't think he'll get away with it as much in the NBA. I love his handle, but he plays below the rim and doesn't seem to have much length. Can also get a little chaotic at times. I see some duplication between him and what we already have.
Markelle Fultz, Jalen Green, Chuma Okeke, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr.
Cole Anthony, RJ Hampton, Corey Kispert, Mo Bamba. LET'S GO!
User avatar
thelead
RealGM
Posts: 26,918
And1: 14,785
Joined: Apr 08, 2008
 

Re: Official 2021 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1677 » by thelead » Wed Apr 7, 2021 4:12 pm

Skin wrote:
thelead wrote:Why isn't efficiency not an important factor to a lot of big boards? Looking through who could be available with the bulls pick, I found Jaden Springer being available in the late teens... He's shooting 47/44/81 as a freshman on a good team. And then I go look at his highlights and I see this:



So far, this is my guy with the bulls pick

If the pick is in the Top 10 then I just have other guys ahead of him. Springer loves to score in the key and I don't think he'll get away with it as much in the NBA. I love his handle, but he plays below the rim and doesn't seem to have much length. Can also get a little chaotic at times. I see some duplication between him and what we already have.

We have shooters though? His jumper is wet and the stats back it up. And I haven't really scouted him defensively but his comp on nbadraft is Marcus Smart and is rated a 9/10 defensively. I don't need a sure-fire star with the bulls pick if we have a top 5 pick of our own. Plus, I see a little bit of Booker in his play. I just love efficient players. Especially when they're freshmen.
Image
User avatar
D J C
Senior
Posts: 641
And1: 300
Joined: Feb 27, 2007

Re: Official 2021 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1678 » by D J C » Wed Apr 7, 2021 4:13 pm

Knightro wrote:
Now if you think Sengun is going to better than WCJ and Bamba, then it's no real issue. You just pick him and trade those guys away or whatever.

But if you think he's comparable to WCJ, then how can you pick him? Because you can't play those guys together and everyone right now is understandably high on what WCJ has brought to the table thus far.


Glad someone else sees it with him! For playing time, I think Bamba's a wash at this point. Maybe he puts it together with someone else but I dont think its going to happen here. I think Alperen would sit behind WCJ for a year or two and then be an All Star big shortly after he takes over the starting job. Similar career projection to Sabonis if we're looking at recent examples.

thelead wrote:Why isn't efficiency not an important factor to a lot of big boards? Looking through who could be available with the bulls pick, I found Jaden Springer being available in the late teens... He's shooting 47/44/81 as a freshman on a good team. And then I go look at his highlights and I see this:


Super high on Springer as well for the reasons you outlined. On top of that he looks like he can be great on D. I think he's a surefire top 10 pick imo and would love him with the Bulls pick.

The Effect wrote:The more and more i watch (youtube scouting ftw :lol: ) the more i think Green is my #1

I love cade and suggs, (my 2 and 3), but i think their biggest strengths (playmaking) arent AS needed on this team as Greens scoring ability because of Fultz ability to run the offense, along with Cole and RJ. Yes i know that Cade and Suggs are probably better at running the offense long term, and believe me ill be very happy if they are picked, but i really think we need a scorer, a potential 25ppg guy, basically bradley beal level scorer who can score from anywhere on the court and can put the team on his back and take over games. Cade\suggs can do that too, but maybe not on Greens level


I still got Cade #1 because I think he's the second coming of B Roy, but I would not be disappointed with Green at all. His offensive skillset is something we haven't had in a long, long time. Hell, the league hasn't seen a pure SG with his skills at his age come out of the draft in quite a bit.

We really did pick a great year to finally bottom out again
User avatar
tiderulz
RealGM
Posts: 30,785
And1: 11,391
Joined: Jun 16, 2010
Location: Atlanta
 

Re: Official 2021 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1679 » by tiderulz » Wed Apr 7, 2021 4:25 pm

D J C wrote:Anyone else super high on Alperen Sengun? He's one of my top realistic choices for the Chicago pick at the moment.

What he's doing at 18 years old in the third best league in the world outside of the NBA has been incredibly impressive.

Stats (rank in league):
19.3 PPG (2nd)
9.3 RPG (2nd)
1.6 BPG (2nd)
1.3 SPG (16th)
69% TS (1st)
64.5% EFG (1st)
80.6% FT on 6+ FTA/G
26.42 PER (1st / 2nd place coming in at 21.44)

A big knock on him has been his size. He measured in at 6'9 with a 7'1 wingspan at 17 y/o.. I think he comes in at 6'10+ at the combine and thats definitely enough size to play in the interior in the game today.

His athleticism has been questioned too, but watching tape its not really a concern right now. He's up to 240-lb already and carries the weight well. He's light on his feet, has a bit of bounce, more than guys like Hansborough and Kanter who I've seen him compared to.

Watching his tape vs Sweden in February you get a good glimpse of his overall game. You see the hustle on boards and on defense. He shows a few nice post moves. A few good passes, from out of the post and from the perimeter. There's a few good drives where he shows a solid handle and beats his guy to the rim. He even shows good form and hits a step back 3, which isnt in his consistent arsenal yet but if he expands his range out there it takes his game to the next level.

He's a guy i'd take a chance on, and outside of the consensus top 5 I think you can make the argument for him over anyone.

honestly, never heard of him. And looking at reports on him, he is a center. I just cant see this front office drafting another center right now when we need offensive players at the wing spots
Skin
RealGM
Posts: 16,120
And1: 7,657
Joined: Jul 03, 2009
   

Re: Official 2021 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1680 » by Skin » Wed Apr 7, 2021 4:26 pm

thelead wrote:
Skin wrote:
thelead wrote:Why isn't efficiency not an important factor to a lot of big boards? Looking through who could be available with the bulls pick, I found Jaden Springer being available in the late teens... He's shooting 47/44/81 as a freshman on a good team. And then I go look at his highlights and I see this:



So far, this is my guy with the bulls pick

If the pick is in the Top 10 then I just have other guys ahead of him. Springer loves to score in the key and I don't think he'll get away with it as much in the NBA. I love his handle, but he plays below the rim and doesn't seem to have much length. Can also get a little chaotic at times. I see some duplication between him and what we already have.

We have shooters though? His jumper is wet and the stats back it up. And I haven't really scouted him defensively but his comp on nbadraft is Marcus Smart and is rated a 9/10 defensively. I don't need a sure-fire star with the bulls pick if we have a top 5 pick of our own. Plus, I see a little bit of Booker in his play. I just love efficient players. Especially when they're freshmen.

Not really a shooter though. 1.8 3PA per game is what I would call an opportunistic shooter, but not a stone cold assassin.

Look at Quentin Grimes. 40% 3pt shooter who took 8.3 3PA per game. There's a player that I know if we brought in, he could be counted on to stretch the floor.
Markelle Fultz, Jalen Green, Chuma Okeke, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr.
Cole Anthony, RJ Hampton, Corey Kispert, Mo Bamba. LET'S GO!

Return to Orlando Magic