ImageImageImageImage

Official 2021 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,298

Re: Official 2021 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1941 » by pepe1991 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:03 am

Josh Christopher, anybody? 6'5 very athletic strong shooting gaurd who, prior college was looked as plus shooter. Ofc not with Magic pick, but Bulls pick in that 9-14 range ( depending where it lands ) should be high risk-high reward pick
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
DiplomaticMagic
Head Coach
And1: 2,516

Post#1942 » by DiplomaticMagic » Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:50 am

Trust me I am freaking out too, but I think its funny that we are freaking out about the Bulls pick not conveying and the Magic pick falling out the top 5.

If you think Bulls can get top 4 pick. Why cant we? Haha my heart is going to be in my stomach when they reveal the draft order.

I am probably being naive and just optimistic for wrong reasons but I got a good feeling about this year.
STOP PLAYING FULTZ
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,719

Post#1943 » by basketballRob » Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:40 am

Moody and Zaire play the same position, have the same measurements, but Moody is a more physical player. Plus he seems to have more scoring moves and he's younger.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,924

Post#1944 » by drsd » Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:10 am

DiplomaticMagic wrote:Trust me I am freaking out too, but I think its funny that we are freaking out about the Bulls pick not conveying and the Magic pick falling out the top 5.

If you think Bulls can get top 4 pick. Why cant we? Haha my heart is going to be in my stomach when they reveal the draft order.

I am probably being naive and just optimistic for wrong reasons but I got a good feeling about this year.

Orlando going top-4 is valuable no matter what. If Chicago also goes top-4, the question we fans need to ask is whether the Bulls looks like a playoff-team next year.

The media is in love with LaVine, but for me he is a ESPN highlight real and not a player to ask to win games. Vučević is being misused, and maybe there is a course correction with a pre-season. I am not buying that. And then there would be the reality of the Bulls playing a rookie for major minutes; that is not a path to actually winning games.

I am OK with Orlando getting a Cunningham or a Green this year and then rolling the dice on the Bulls being not-good next year for a good 7-10 range FRP in the 2022 draft.

What would suck is the Bulls going top-4 without the Magic winning in the lottery. As it means Orlando would be drafting about 6 in this loaded draft.

Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,627

Post#1945 » by Skybox » Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:20 am

The greatest upside, of course, is Bulls dropping way down and getting "unlucky" and getting bounced to #5 in the lotto. It's not the likeliest outcome, but we could end up with 2 top 5 picks...losing helps A LOT, but the lottery is where generational decisions get made. Fingers crossed. Like CHI coming home with Pippen and Horace Grant in one night...aim high-it's out of our hands anyway.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,828

Post#1946 » by RookieStar » Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:23 am

basketballRob wrote:Moody and Zaire play the same position, have the same measurements, but Moody is a more physical player. Plus he seems to have more scoring moves and he's younger.

??? theres a big difference between 6'6 and 6'9. Plus someone who moves like Harden and someone who likes to jump a lot. As to the offense, yeah Moody has it.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,719

Post#1947 » by basketballRob » Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:43 am

RookieStar wrote:
basketballRob wrote:Moody and Zaire play the same position, have the same measurements, but Moody is a more physical player. Plus he seems to have more scoring moves and he's younger.

??? theres a big difference between 6'6 and 6'9. Plus someone who moves like Harden and someone who likes to jump a lot. As to the offense, yeah Moody has it.
In USA basketball Williams is listed at 6'7" and Moody 6'6". Moody has 10 lbs on him and his frame looks like it'll fill out more. Plus Moody has a couple inches longer wingspan.

Haven't seen any Harden like moves from Williams.

BCS
Sixth Man
And1: 675

Post#1948 » by BCS » Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:03 pm

drsd wrote:
DiplomaticMagic wrote:Trust me I am freaking out too, but I think its funny that we are freaking out about the Bulls pick not conveying and the Magic pick falling out the top 5.

Orlando going top-4 is valuable no matter what. If Chicago also goes top-4, the question we fans need to ask is whether the Bulls looks like a playoff-team next year.

The media is in love with LaVine, but for me he is a ESPN highlight real and not a player to ask to win games. Vučević is being misused, and maybe there is a course correction with a pre-season. I am not buying that. And then there would be the reality of the Bulls playing a rookie for major minutes; that is not a path to actually winning games.

I am OK with Orlando getting a Cunningham or a Green this year and then rolling the dice on the Bulls being not-good next year for a good 7-10 range FRP in the 2022 draft.

What would suck is the Bulls going top-4 without the Magic winning in the lottery. As it means Orlando would be drafting about 6 in this loaded draft.

The stuff of nightmares...us getting punched in the gut on lottery night as they announce the pick where the Bulls are slotted at the time....and the Magic logo pops up meaning we dropped and Bulls got a top 4....all in one go....ahhh

Sent from my SM-A716U using RealGM mobile app
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,110

Post#1949 » by tiderulz » Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:11 pm

pepe1991 wrote:Josh Christopher, anybody? 6'5 very athletic strong shooting gaurd who, prior college was looked as plus shooter. Ofc not with Magic pick, but Bulls pick in that 9-14 range ( depending where it lands ) should be high risk-high reward pick

seems more athlete than player right now. not a good shooter in college when he wasnt taller than his opponents.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,110

Post#1950 » by tiderulz » Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:17 pm

isnt Moody 6'6 and Williams 6'8? also, only 8 months younger, that isnt anything to worry about. Moody does seem a bit more advanced than Williams right now. wouldnt complain about either.
Nyce_1
RealGM
And1: 5,975

Post#1951 » by Nyce_1 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:20 pm

basketballRob wrote:ESPN has Green going 4th and Barnes 10th.

https://www.espn.com/nba/draft/bestavailable

If we walked away with this combo, it would be a home run.

Cade + whoever is the grandslam.
OhioRock3
Sophomore
And1: 103

Post#1952 » by OhioRock3 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:44 pm

[/quote]The stuff of nightmares...us getting punched in the gut on lottery night as they announce the pick where the Bulls are slotted at the time....and the Magic logo pops up meaning we dropped and Bulls got a top 4....all in one go....ahhh

Sent from my SM-A716U using RealGM mobile app[/quote]

omg this is pure evil lol
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 10,013

Post#1953 » by KillMonger » Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:22 pm

My issue with moody is he doesn’t have much shake to his game.....he doesn’t even have Zaire Williams kind of shake and Zaire isn’t all that shifty.....moody is like a stiff version of devin booker

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,360

Post#1954 » by Knightro » Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:07 pm

KillMonger wrote:My issue with moody is he doesn’t have much shake to his game.....he doesn’t even have Zaire Williams kind of shake and Zaire isn’t all that shifty.....moody is like a stiff version of devin booker

The lack of athletic burst is a legitimate concern of mine with Moody too, but I like him a lot more than Zaire still. Moody's production wasn't out of this world great, but it was still much better than Zaire's.

There's just a tipping point level of production you have to be able to hit for me to take you seriously as a top 10 pick. You get into the 20s and 30s and everyone is a lotto ticket anyway so it matters a lot less. But if I'm gonna use a high lotto pick on somebody, I need a baseline of production to look at and say ok there's *something* here.

A look at a kid like Zaire and I see a kid who was bigger, longer and a smoother/better athlete than probably 80-90% of the guys who were defending him. Yet he still only managed to shoot 37% from the floor?

When these highly touted high school prospects struggle in college, guys like Cole Anthony, Cam Reddish, Nasir Little, Zaire Williams and many others, I feel like far too often as fans we're too willing to chalk up a guy's struggles to factors out of his control. I've done it myself over the years.

"His coaching was bad."

"His teammates couldn't shoot or were selfish."

"College spacing is terrible."

But most of the time the player just isn't as good as people thought he was and those things that were issues in college are even bigger issues in the pros when the competition is all bigger, faster, stronger and more intense.

I would have a really difficult time supporting the decision to take Zaire with either first round pick. There are going to be several other guys available at both picks that I'm much more confident are going to contribute.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,958

Post#1955 » by MagicMatic » Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:26 pm

pepe1991 wrote:Josh Christopher, anybody? 6'5 very athletic strong shooting gaurd who, prior college was looked as plus shooter. Ofc not with Magic pick, but Bulls pick in that 9-14 range ( depending where it lands ) should be high risk-high reward pick

Im glad somebody else here notices this guy.

He was WAY higher ranked prior to college. He’s also really good friends with Green fwiw. If we landed both it would be great.

He’s definitely a dark horse candidate once he starts working out for teams.
JBSouthpaw
Analyst
And1: 1,273

Post#1956 » by JBSouthpaw » Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:33 pm

thelead wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:if this front office takes Mobley, i see this place burning down

That might have been true before all the trades but now that Vuc and AG are gone, if we are looking at a draft position where Cade, Suggs and Green are gone and Mobley is available I think many will be wise enough to accept him as the BPA for this new roster.

Mobley is a much better prospect than Mo but if we miss out on another Doncic (who just hit another buzzer beater 3 for the win 2 minutes ago) and draft another big that isn't much of a difference maker, most of the fanbase is going to disappear.

That said, drafting Mobley wouldn't be the end of the world. Especially if we can land a guard with the bulls pick.

What is the difference between Mobley, and Isaiah Jackson? Mobley had much more PT, is there really that much difference?
Mobley better Offensively, Jackson better on Defense. I'd argue Jackson is better suited to play a switching defense, he is quite agile.
One is top 4, the other rd 2.
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 10,013

Post#1957 » by KillMonger » Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:44 pm

Knightro wrote:
KillMonger wrote:My issue with moody is he doesn’t have much shake to his game.....he doesn’t even have Zaire Williams kind of shake and Zaire isn’t all that shifty.....moody is like a stiff version of devin booker

The lack of athletic burst is a legitimate concern of mine with Moody too, but I like him a lot more than Zaire still. Moody's production wasn't out of this world great, but it was still much better than Zaire's.

There's just a tipping point level of production you have to be able to hit for me to take you seriously as a top 10 pick. You get into the 20s and 30s and everyone is a lotto ticket anyway so it matters a lot less. But if I'm gonna use a high lotto pick on somebody, I need a baseline of production to look at and say ok there's *something* here.

A look at a kid like Zaire and I see a kid who was bigger, longer and a smoother/better athlete than probably 80-90% of the guys who were defending him. Yet he still only managed to shoot 37% from the floor?

When these highly touted high school prospects struggle in college, guys like Cole Anthony, Cam Reddish, Nasir Little, Zaire Williams and many others, I feel like far too often as fans we're too willing to chalk up a guy's struggles to factors out of his control. I've done it myself over the years.

"His coaching was bad."

But most of the time the player just isn't as good as people thought he was and those things that were issues in college are even bigger issues in the pros when the competition is all bigger, faster, stronger and more intense.

I would have a really difficult time supporting the decision to take Zaire with either first round pick. There are going to be several other guys available at both picks that I'm much more confident are going to contribute.

That’s fair however for me I’m not so caught up on what he is but what he could be....I think it’s suffice to say that in general prospects like Keon and moody are better but for me Zaire’s ceiling is higher than those guys and pretty much anyone in that 6-12 range.....to me after the top 5 the talent level is sort of nebulous

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#1958 » by RookieStar » Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:00 pm

basketballRob wrote:
RookieStar wrote:

In USA basketball Williams is listed at 6'7" and Moody 6'6". Moody has 10 lbs on him and his frame looks like it'll fill out more. Plus Moody has a couple inches longer wingspan.

Haven't seen any Harden like moves from Williams.

Check out other mock boards and other college groups. With shoes, they say Moody is just around 6'6 while Zaire is around 6'9. But yeah.. we will get the true measurements during the combine. With eye test and comparing during games Zaire is really hovering above the 6'8 area.

Moody is the one being compared to Harden not Zaire. I really dont have any player to compare Zaire right now. Moody was talked about doing HArden moves with the way how slow, deliberate and hitting defenders in their body going to the hoop. lol
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Post#1959 » by Skin » Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:06 pm

Which posters fall into this category of believing the Bulls will get a Top 4 pick and Magic won't? Not me.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#1960 » by RookieStar » Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:11 pm

Knightro wrote:

"His coaching was bad."

Thing is though, those guys (cole,Cam,Little) had a chance to play for almost a whole NCAA season. A guy like Zaire, motorcycle (i think) injury before the season = missed games.. then when he got going a death in the family = missed games, covid protocol = missed games.

That is what frustrated me with Zaire, not because of any production or what, but I couldn't even see him play consistently.

Those "college spacing" and "bad teammates" I think can be used on Bouknight.

Return to Orlando Magic