ImageImageImageImage

Magic/Bally Sports APP: $19.99/month/ League Pass $14.99+

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,501

Re: Fox Sports Florida- Youtube TV-HULU Blackout- Updates 

Post#41 » by thelead » Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:06 am

thelead wrote:
Driguez wrote:
thelead wrote:
Yup. Diehards like us will come right back but we likely make up less than 1% of all fans. They need to figure this out quickly.

In the meantime, I signed up for Spectrum's choice tv package which let's you pick 10 cable channels and includes local channels like Fox Sports Florida for ~45 a month. It a terrible value but it will get me by while I figure out what my next move is.

Way too of my time is going to figuring this ish out.

Make sure you're actually getting fox sports FL and not fox sports 1.

I’ll double check tonight but I’m fairly sure I have both Fox Sports Florida and Sun.

I can confirm that I was able to stream the game just fine with my Apple TV with the spectrum app. You do need to make sure that the streaming package includes the ‘local’ channels though. Here is some good info about the choice tv streaming package that I have for now:

https://www.buytvinternetphone.com/blog/spectrum-tv-choice-channels-packages

It’s listed as ‘24.99’ but after broadcast fees, other fees and taxes, it’s around $44.
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,133

Post#42 » by Optimus_Steel » Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:51 am

To the Central Florida fans regarding blackout issues, while you can't watch the game live you can get the NBA leagues pass for one team for $18 a month and watch a recording of the game 3 days afterwards...that is the next best solution other than paying $80 to At&t's streaming service, paying $45 for Spectrum's 10 channel streaming service or getting the pirate streams.

LOCAL BLACKOUT – NBA LEAGUE PASS AND NBA TV

Based on your current location, you are unable to view MAGIC games LIVE via NBA League Pass and NBA TV.

NBA League Pass: An archive of any game that is locally blacked out will be available 3 days after the broadcast for NBA League Pass subscribers. NBA League Pass subscribers can also listen to these games live.

Please consult your local TV and radio broadcaster schedules for where to find broadcasts in your area.

https://watch.nba.com/streaming-subscriptions?cid=nba:leaguepass:institutional:nbacom:domsites:leaguepass:rd
aka: prorl
Driguez
General Manager
And1: 2,016

Post#43 » by Driguez » Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:43 pm

thelead wrote:
thelead wrote:
Driguez wrote:

Make sure you're actually getting fox sports FL and not fox sports 1.

I’ll double check tonight but I’m fairly sure I have both Fox Sports Florida and Sun.

I can confirm that I was able to stream the game just fine with my Apple TV with the spectrum app. You do need to make sure that the streaming package includes the ‘local’ channels though. Here is some good info about the choice tv streaming package that I have for now:

https://www.buytvinternetphone.com/blog/spectrum-tv-choice-channels-packages

It’s listed as ‘24.99’ but after broadcast fees, other fees and taxes, it’s around $44.

Roku users would have to wait (you can still cast) as the app was removed off their store while they renegotiate their contract so for now you can stream it thru roku as long as you already have the app, Samsung smart tvs, Apple tvs, Xbox and you can also cast the app to your TV. Choice includes all locals plus 10 channels of your liking. Btw if you're switching to Spectrum or have internet only you can get a promo for internet + cable (select) for about $111 before taxes (FL are around $8 or so) cable and choice gets you to around 120-130 before taxes if you already have cable ;)
"We all we got"- SVG
Optimus_Steel
RealGM

Post#44 » by Optimus_Steel » Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:38 pm

What I did over the weekend for league pass ($18 one team version) was get a good VPN and use my phone's browser, go to the NBA website, but it has to be the desktop version of the website (not mobile version and do not use the NBA app because it tracks your GPS location) and I was able to watch the games with no restriction. Took a couple of times as one of the VPN servers was slow but I switched and it worked fine after that. The desktop version is not user friendly at all but this is hopefully a good short term solution.

The bilal reddit stream site works too for live streaming if you want to go that route. Thank you to the person who suggested it.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using RealGM mobile app
Popsicle1228
Junior
And1: 326

Post#45 » by Popsicle1228 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:57 pm

Really the blackout rules need to stop. Especially during Covid when arenas are not allowed to be filled. They need eyes on their product right now more than ever. I’m not even watching right now because of all the Fox regional drops with streaming services and I’m done being made to feel like a sucker by Spectrum’s pricing models.
Optimus_Steel
RealGM

Post#46 » by Optimus_Steel » Fri May 28, 2021 1:35 pm

Update from Sinclair:

Are you willing to pay $25-$30 a month in the Orlando area to watch the Magic? To me that's a hell no but that's what industry analysts are suggesting. Also they keep pushing back the direct to consumer release, first it was late 2021, now it's mid 2022, what a disaster this is for sports fans all around. At this point it's easier to move on to some else than to sit there and be held hostage by carriers:

“We will give pricing protection to the distributors to preserve the concept of wholesale pricing into bundled offerings versus retail pricing,” Ripley said. “There will be significant difference there in terms of what the value proposition is for distributors.”

Some analysts have predicted that a direct to consumer offering that included all of the games would have to be priced as high as $25 to $30 per month, more than four times what Sinclair charges monthly for its priciest RSN, Bally Sports Detroit, which costs distributors about $6.85 per subscriber, according to Kagan, a unit of S&P Global Market Intelligence. 

But according to sports consultant Lee Berke, president and CEO of LHB Sports, Entertainment & Media, even at that price point, Sinclair fails to address the main issue – attracting new subscribers to combat the shrinking pay TV universe for RSNs along with the loss of most vMVPD distribution.

https://www-nexttv-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.nexttv.com/amp/news/sinclair-ceo-chris-ripley-says-bally-sports-dtc-offering-will-include-full-slate-of-games?amp_gsa=1&amp_js_v=a6&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA%3D#amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&aoh=16222047408058&csi=1&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexttv.com%2Fnews%2Fsinclair-ceo-chris-ripley-says-bally-sports-dtc-offering-will-include-full-slate-of-games

drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,893

Post#47 » by drsd » Fri May 28, 2021 4:19 pm

Optimus_Steel wrote:Update from Sinclair:

Are you willing to pay $25-$30 a month in the Orlando area to watch the Magic?

Given that the NBA league pass is less than that, and at about USD$100 in the UK for all Magic games, yes that is a terrible deal.

In the States, what is the maxed out NBA League pass cost? Probably less than USD$200, which would provide every single game and all playoff games for about the same cost line as your question.

BDill012
Senior
And1: 273

Post#48 » by BDill012 » Fri May 28, 2021 5:35 pm

drsd wrote:

Are you willing to pay $25-$30 a month in the Orlando area to watch the Magic?

Given that the NBA league pass is less than that, and at about USD$100 in the UK for all Magic games, yes that is a terrible deal.

In the States, what is the maxed out NBA League pass cost? Probably less than USD$200, which would provide every single game and all playoff games for about the same cost line as your question.

I can get the entire league for that much a month. Fortunately, I am not in Central Florida anymore so I can watch the games in the here in the Carolinas without blackouts, with exception of the games against the Hornets.
thelead
RealGM

Post#49 » by thelead » Fri May 28, 2021 5:38 pm

Are you willing to pay $25-$30 a month in the Orlando area to watch the Magic? To me that's a hell no but that's what industry analysts are suggesting. Also they keep pushing back the direct to consumer release, first it was late 2021, now it's mid 2022, what a disaster this is for sports fans all around. At this point it's easier to move on to some else than to sit there and be held hostage by carriers:

“We will give pricing protection to the distributors to preserve the concept of wholesale pricing into bundled offerings versus retail pricing,” Ripley said. “There will be significant difference there in terms of what the value proposition is for distributors.”

Some analysts have predicted that a direct to consumer offering that included all of the games would have to be priced as high as $25 to $30 per month, more than four times what Sinclair charges monthly for its priciest RSN, Bally Sports Detroit, which costs distributors about $6.85 per subscriber, according to Kagan, a unit of S&P Global Market Intelligence. 

But according to sports consultant Lee Berke, president and CEO of LHB Sports, Entertainment & Media, even at that price point, Sinclair fails to address the main issue – attracting new subscribers to combat the shrinking pay TV universe for RSNs along with the loss of most vMVPD distribution.

https://www-nexttv-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.nexttv.com/amp/news/sinclair-ceo-chris-ripley-says-bally-sports-dtc-offering-will-include-full-slate-of-games?amp_gsa=1&amp_js_v=a6&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA%3D#amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&aoh=16222047408058&csi=1&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexttv.com%2Fnews%2Fsinclair-ceo-chris-ripley-says-bally-sports-dtc-offering-will-include-full-slate-of-games

:lol:

They are out of their minds. Napster taught these guys nothing.
Optimus_Steel
RealGM

Post#50 » by Optimus_Steel » Fri May 28, 2021 6:22 pm

thelead wrote:

The idiots took out loans to stupidly buy the Fox Sports regional sports networks for around $10B I believe as people are actively cutting the cord.....unfortunately local sports fans are the big losers.
thelead
RealGM

Post#51 » by thelead » Fri May 28, 2021 7:12 pm

Optimus_Steel wrote:
thelead wrote:

The idiots took out loans to stupidly buy the Fox Sports regional sports networks for around $10B I believe as people are actively cutting the cord.....unfortunately local sports fans are the big losers.

Good lord.... they took out a $10B loan for the acquisition??? They truly are out of their minds :lol:
Local sports fans are the big losers but not those that are tech savvy. I've been too lazy to set it up but it looks like I need to start working on my split-tunnel vpn to route my apple tv's through a vpn in another country and purchase an international league pass to match... which is also cheaper than what Americans pay.

Maybe I'll create a post on how to do so if I have to go that route.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,688

Post#52 » by basketballRob » Fri May 28, 2021 10:30 pm

Delete
thelead
RealGM

Post#53 » by thelead » Fri May 28, 2021 10:37 pm

basketballRob wrote:
thelead wrote:
Optimus_Steel wrote:

Good lord.... they took out a $10B loan for the acquisition??? They truly are out of their minds
Local sports fans are the big losers but not those that are tech savvy. I've been too lazy to set it up but it looks like I need to start working on my split-tunnel vpn to route my apple tv's through a vpn in another country and purchase an international league pass to match... which is also cheaper than what Americans pay.

Just get a fire stick for $30 and follow directions to build kodi. That's the ticket for everything to watch in the world.

I've looked into this in the past but am concerned that with illegitimate links/streams that there will be games that don't work. I want reliability and don't mind the upfront work to get it.

Can anyone here chime in on stream reliability with this?
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,688

Post#54 » by basketballRob » Fri May 28, 2021 10:38 pm

Delete
Optimus_Steel
RealGM

Post#55 » by Optimus_Steel » Sat May 29, 2021 12:57 am

thelead wrote:
Optimus_Steel wrote:
thelead wrote:

Good lord.... they took out a $10B loan for the acquisition??? They truly are out of their minds

Look it up, it was $9.6B and approx 75% was borrowed.

Optimus_Steel
RealGM

Re: Bally Sports RSN- Youtube TV-HULU Blackout- Update: Sinclair headed for Bankruptcy! 

Post#56 » by Optimus_Steel » Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:38 pm

Update on Sinclair and their potential standalone streaming service. MLB and NBA commissioners and industry analysts pretty much crapped on Sinclair's claim they will have a viable streaming app as they appear headed to bankruptcy:

https://www.nexttv.com/news/its-gameover-for-sinclairs-rsn-streaming-plan-analyst-says

https://awfulannouncing.com/sinclair/****.html

Quotes:

LightShed Media Partners analyst Richard Greenfield has described a decidedly bleak prospect for Sinclair Broadcast Group successfully transitioning its debt-ridden Bally Sports-branded regional sports networks into a direct-to-consumer streaming service.

It‘s “#GameOver” for that gambit, Greenfield said in a posting this morning.

Also read: Sinclair Streaming RSN Plan Slammed by MLB Commissioner Rob Manfred

“Sinclair has tried to convince investors that it can avoid a Diamond Sports bankruptcy by transforming its 14 RSNs from being locked into the legacy MVPD/vMVPDs bundles to a direct-to-consumer, over-the-top streaming service … and that there is a robust sports betting opportunity for the Diamond Sports RSNs to take advantage of,” Greenfield wrote.

But Greenfield appears spot on when he said that the whole pitch appears based on a “fabrication:” That is, all 14 Major League Baseball teams that have linear TV licensing deals with Bally Sports RSNs are willing to also license their DTC/streaming rights to Diamond Sports.

Last week, MLB Commissioner Rob Manfred damned the plan — and perhaps, Diamond Sports into eventual bankruptcy — when he said simply that Sinclair doesn‘t “have the rights” it needs to pull off an ambitious DTC plan revealed to investors over the spring.

Extrapolating further, Greenfield described MLB as being philosophically similar to the NBA in terms of how it manages digital rights. The MLB did decide in 2019 to let its teams negotiate their digital rights themselves. To date, however, only four of the 14 MLB teams that Sinclair partners with have offered up their OTT rights: the Miami Marlins, the Tampa Bay Rays, the Kansas City Royals and the Milwaukee Brewers.

Ultimately, Greenfield believes, MLB and NBA teams will work with their respective league and a third-party technology vendor to make their own DTC services, re-negotiating with pay TV operators to preserve whatever revenue is left from the linear ecosystem.

And Sinclair very likely won't be a part of those forward-looking enterprises, he said.

”Sinclair has no expertise in digital or streaming, has never built a direct-to-consumer subscription business and only covers a portion of the U.S.,” Greenfield added. “Sinclair is actually one of the worst possible choices for the leagues to partner with in digital.”

Sinclair bought the Fox Sports RSNs from Disney, as well as the Marquee Network and YES Network, in August 2019 for $9.6 billion, putting them under the control of a separate company it owns, Diamond Sports, and selling the naming rights to the channels.

Much as they did in 2015, when AT&T paid $49 billion for DirecTV, analysts questioned what the heck Sinclair management was thinking paying a such a huge sum of money amid declines for the multichannel video programming distributor business.

Sinclair was left trying to pay off nearly $10 billion in debt with an RSN business that has annually escalating costs in the form of team contracts, but declining EBITDA from pay TV customers continuing to exit the ecosystem.

“After Sinclair purchased the Fox RSNs from Disney, we wrote that we expected the newly renamed Diamond Sports RSN group’s EBITDA of $1.6 billion to turn negative by 2025,” Greenfield noted.

1- The Sinclair RSNs could be headed into bankruptcy. This is something I’m quite sure Ourand would not share if this wasn’t a very real possibility. And it’s entirely plausible when you borrow $8 billion dollars to pay for something that is worth somewhere around $5-$6 billion dollars now.

2- The second- and third-largest RSN owners are themselves trying to sell (these rumors have been out there for a bit).

So basically everyone wants to sell, and the last company to actually buy is perceived to be heading into bankruptcy for doing so. Could things get any worse?

Yes….

Tuesday marked the first day of SBJ’s World Congress of Sports. And the comments about RSNs have been as pessimistic as you can imagine.

While none of this is really new, it’s just bad and getting worse quickly. The vast majority of viewership of RSNs come from NBA and MLB games. Here you have both of those commissioners being pretty brutally honest that the RSN model is in deep ****. That’s especially true around particularly Sinclair, who at this point is beginning to sound like a grenade with the pin pulled out given their debt situation.

At the heart of the matter is that RSNs are a beefy portion of your cable and satellite bill that everyone pays for but few people actually watch. Cable, satellite, and alternatives (including virtual MVPDs like of YouTube TV, Sling, and others) are much more willing to drop these channels as compared to ESPN, which has the bulk of Disney and the rest of the Disney cable channels behind it. This is an easier fight for cable and satellite providers to win, and one that drops customers’ cable bills while pissing off fewer customers.

That’s why Sinclair’s RSN subsidiary (Diamond) is potentially headed to bankruptcy, Comcast and AT&T are hoping someone else will buy their RSNs for some bargain price so it won’t be their problem to solve, and why commissioners are sounding the alarm now and doing it very publicly. The business model is broken and the money is going to start drying up. Urgency has arrived because everyone seems like they have a ticket on the Titanic on this one. That is, except for Fox, who must be loving seeing their former counterparts squirm while they sold at the apex.

What does this means for us fans? 1) There will most likely not be a streaming service for local Magic fans to watch the games unless they have legacy cable anytime soon. 2) Could Sinclair relent and lower their demands and allow YoutubeTV and HULU to carry games again? 3) Watching games will be an issue atleast thru this season, maybe more...
thelead
RealGM

Re: Bally Sports RSN- Youtube TV-HULU Blackout- Update: Sinclair headed for Bankruptcy! 

Post#57 » by thelead » Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:43 pm

That's unsurprising given their $10 billion loan to acquire the RSNs. I doubt YoutubeTV and Hulu would bring them much money. Fans will likely have to wait until they sell the RSNs to yet another company. I wonder how this affects the large contract the NBA is expecting on the next TV deal.
Optimus_Steel
RealGM

Post#58 » by Optimus_Steel » Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:55 pm

thelead wrote:That's unsurprising given their $10 billion loan to acquire the RSNs. I doubt YoutubeTV and Hulu would bring them much money. Fans will likely have to wait until they sell the RSNs to yet another company. I wonder how this affects the large contract the NBA is expecting on the next TV deal.

One of the articles was saying that the other 2 large RSN's are selling and no one is buying as they see it as dyeing business, so no one is lineup up to buy. They just aren't any takers and there is the massive debt for Sinclair RSNs. The option may be for the leagues to wait out Bally until they file bankruptcy and then they themselves buyout the carcass and start streaming themselves? But that may take years.
magicorlando12
Freshman
And1: 20

Re: Bally Sports RSN- Youtube TV-HULU Blackout- Update: Bally Sports headed for Bankruptcy! 

Post#59 » by magicorlando12 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:27 pm

so in other words if you pay for the league pass on YouTube TV in monthly installments you can still see the games, right?
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,234

Re: Bally Sports RSN- Youtube TV-HULU Blackout- Update: Bally Sports headed for Bankruptcy! 

Post#60 » by Blue_and_Whte » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:12 pm

I’m not paying anyone to watch this team, at least not this season. I’ll figure out a way to find a stream, and if I don’t. Highlights it is.
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt

Return to Orlando Magic