ImageImageImageImage

Revisit Trade with Warriors

Moderators: Howard Mass, UCF, ChosenSavior, Knightro, SOUL, Def Swami, UCFJayBird

jonbob17
Junior
Posts: 413
And1: 194
Joined: Jul 01, 2020

Revisit Trade with Warriors 

Post#1 » by jonbob17 » Fri Jan 8, 2021 2:35 pm

All that speculation last year of the Magic trading with the Warriors, now might be the time to get something done.

Golden State is in the middle of the pack and paying huge tax. That Minnesota pick they own is going be extremely valuable. Even if Minnesota finishes dead last there is 60% chance they get the 4/5 pick. The pick is almost certainly a top 10 pick, and if were to end up protected then it is unprotected next year.

Something along the lines of Vuc + Ross for Wiggins + Looney/Bazemore should be enough to pry that pick away, while also making the Magic one of the worst teams in the league this year, and probably giving the Warriors a real shot of contending the next few years while their window is still open.

The Magic would probably get 2 top ten picks in a remarkable draft.

Another option would be to replace Wiggins with Klay Thompson. Personally that contract looks even more toxic. The point is Golden State should be looking to win while they can and make the most out their guys' good years. We would be cashing in Vuc's good years while they are still very valuable, and resetting our long-term fortunes.
The Effect
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
Posts: 3,033
And1: 1,045
Joined: Jul 09, 2004

Re: Revisit Trade with Warriors 

Post#2 » by The Effect » Fri Jan 8, 2021 3:38 pm

Why would warriors want vuc after drafting Wiseman?
jonbob17
Junior
Posts: 413
And1: 194
Joined: Jul 01, 2020

Re: Revisit Trade with Warriors 

Post#3 » by jonbob17 » Fri Jan 8, 2021 5:57 pm

Because Vuc is actually good right now. Very good, and the Warriors window is rapidly closing There is no reason they could not trade Wiseman in another deal, or I suppose change out Wiseman for the Minnesota pick, which should be less appealing to the Magic imo.
jonbob17
Junior
Posts: 413
And1: 194
Joined: Jul 01, 2020

Re: Revisit Trade with Warriors 

Post#4 » by jonbob17 » Fri Jan 8, 2021 6:05 pm

I guess the argument is a team with Steph Curry, Kelly Oubre, Terrence Ross, Draymond Green, and Nikola Vucevic good enough to win the championship?
If not then, we have serious problems here in Orlando.
The Effect
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
Posts: 3,033
And1: 1,045
Joined: Jul 09, 2004

Re: Revisit Trade with Warriors 

Post#5 » by The Effect » Fri Jan 8, 2021 7:09 pm

jonbob17 wrote:Because Vuc is actually good right now. Very good, and the Warriors window is rapidly closing There is no reason they could not trade Wiseman in another deal, or I suppose change out Wiseman for the Minnesota pick, which should be less appealing to the Magic imo.

If the warriors were only worried about winning in 2021, they would of traded that #2 overall pick for a proven star instead of using it on wiseman, who BTW is going to be one of the top 2-3 centers in the NBA in the not so distant future
jonbob17
Junior
Posts: 413
And1: 194
Joined: Jul 01, 2020

Re: Revisit Trade with Warriors 

Post#6 » by jonbob17 » Fri Jan 8, 2021 7:25 pm

The Effect wrote:
jonbob17 wrote:Because Vuc is actually good right now. Very good, and the Warriors window is rapidly closing There is no reason they could not trade Wiseman in another deal, or I suppose change out Wiseman for the Minnesota pick, which should be less appealing to the Magic imo.

If the warriors were only worried about winning in 2021, they would of traded that #2 overall pick for a proven star instead of using it on wiseman, who BTW is going to be one of the top 2-3 centers in the NBA in the not so distant future


Maybe. That team is going to be stuck with a lot of contract anchors in a couple/few years. Curry has 2 years left, and then they have Klay for 4, Wiggins for 3 and Draymond for 4. Those latter 3 are going to be brutal towards the end.

The idea would be to go for it now, improving the team and disposing Wiggins, instead of trying to transition through uncertainty and into a new era. I think they took Wiseman as a trade asset, possibly to package with the Minnesota pick for another star. We'll see, I guess. If it is on the table we should explore, probably the only high pick out there for this years draft that could possibly be up for grabs.
User avatar
drsd
RealGM
Posts: 28,642
And1: 4,758
Joined: Mar 16, 2003
     

Re: Revisit Trade with Warriors 

Post#7 » by drsd » Sat Jan 9, 2021 9:58 am

jonbob17 wrote:Something along the lines of Vuc + Ross for Wiggins + Looney/Bazemore should be enough to pry that pick away, while also making the Magic one of the worst teams in the league this year, and probably giving the Warriors a real shot of contending the next few years while their window is still open.


If Orlando trades Vučević and Ross for Wiggins and Bazemore, then the team might as well trade Fournier to Boston for picks.

At that point, this is Orlando's 2020/21 rooster:

Anthony/Carter-Williams/Bone
Bacon/Mané
Wiggins/Bazemore/Ennis
Gordon/Okeke/Clark
Birch/Bamba/Aminu

That team would win 2 out of every 10 games.

And next year when all the picks start getting used, most of Orlando's roster will be below 26 years old. (i.e. it will suck).

The Tank does not work as building assets is not just about getting young players. It is also about upgrading the veterans. Vučević and Ross are not upgradable.

Gordon and Fournier for Wiggins and the pick would be a better outcome for Orlando.


..
jonbob17
Junior
Posts: 413
And1: 194
Joined: Jul 01, 2020

Re: Revisit Trade with Warriors 

Post#8 » by jonbob17 » Sat Jan 9, 2021 2:12 pm

drsd wrote:
jonbob17 wrote:Something along the lines of Vuc + Ross for Wiggins + Looney/Bazemore should be enough to pry that pick away, while also making the Magic one of the worst teams in the league this year, and probably giving the Warriors a real shot of contending the next few years while their window is still open.


If Orlando trades Vučević and Ross for Wiggins and Bazemore, then the team might as well trade Fournier to Boston for picks.

At that point, this is Orlando's 2020/21 rooster:

Anthony/Carter-Williams/Bone
Bacon/Mané
Wiggins/Bazemore/Ennis
Gordon/Okeke/Clark
Birch/Bamba/Aminu

That team would win 2 out of every 10 games.

And next year when all the picks start getting used, most of Orlando's roster will be below 26 years old. (i.e. it will suck).

The Tank does not work as building assets is not just about getting young players. It is also about upgrading the veterans. Vučević and Ross are not upgradable.

Gordon and Fournier for Wiggins and the pick would be a better outcome for Orlando.


..


Gordon and Fournier do not make the Warriors a championship level team, and are not nearly enough to get that pick.

Winning 2 out of 10 games is part of the appeal of this move. Getting two high picks in a a deep, talented draft is not something that is usually feasible.

I agree, I doubt we could upgrade Vuc. I guess some people think Wiseman could be an upgrade. Ross is plenty upgradeable. He is off to a hot start this year but we know what he is, and it’s a 6th man role.
User avatar
drsd
RealGM
Posts: 28,642
And1: 4,758
Joined: Mar 16, 2003
     

Re: Revisit Trade with Warriors 

Post#9 » by drsd » Sat Jan 9, 2021 8:42 pm

jonbob17 wrote:Ross is plenty upgradeable. He is off to a hot start this year but we know what he is, and it’s a 6th man role.


I meant upgradable from his role as a 6th man. Overall, Ross unwillingness to play good defence cripples him as a starter.


,,

Return to Orlando Magic