ImageImageImageImage

Official Speculation Thread '20-'21 VII: Magic Expected To Retain Core

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

swarlesbarkley
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,153

Re: Official Speculation Thread '20-'21 VII: Magic Expected To Retain Core 

Post#1901 » by swarlesbarkley » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:04 pm

PrimeThyme wrote:I think you could make a legitimate argument that we won the trade deadline when you look around at some of the deals that were made. Again, I despise the FO as much as the next person but it's hard to deny that they did well today.

Time to embrace the youth movement and buckle in for another long rebuild.

While I don't think we won, WeHam clearly sat on 2 assets too long (Gordon and Fournier) and there probably wasn't a huge market for Vuc as a top 5 center in the league. Plus, this whole "culture of winning" in Orlando means nothing for players in terms of making Orlando an attractive destination. All of those things considered (even blaming WeHam for some of the problems), I think we made out OK. Better than where we were after D12.

Fultz and Isaac are still uber-talented and either or both could become all-stars. Those guys are the 2 clear cornerstones of the franchise to build with and I don't disagree with Fultz/Isaac as guys to build with and Anthony/Okeke as solid role guys.
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,090

Post#1902 » by yoyojw17 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:13 pm

Skin wrote:
MartinsIzAfraud wrote:ohhh man Marc Daniels (96.9) now saying Cliff can't be happy with this and he didn't sign up for it. Could see that being an issue at the end of the year

Shows the selfish side of Cliff that I knew was there ALL ALONG. He's Skiles in a mask.

Sounds like opinion and not fact. THough it could still be. lol.

but i think Cliff might be happy as there are pieces for him to work in.... and possibly more talent than what he was dealing with in charlotte.
Nyce_1
RealGM
And1: 5,975

Post#1903 » by Nyce_1 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:16 pm

thelead wrote:
PrimeThyme wrote:I think you could make a legitimate argument that we won the trade deadline when you look around at some of the deals that were made. Again, I despise the FO as much as the next person but it's hard to deny that they did well today.

Time to embrace the youth movement and buckle in for another long rebuild.

It wasn't as terrible as other deals, yes :lol:

The hardest part is not having a healthy Fultz and JI to get through the rest of the games this year.

having them would make our pick worse. I agree, but I'm very interested in seeing RJ/OK/WCJ and finally...Mo play for us. just let the kids run wild and to see what we really have.

when he returns, give me this lineup to finish the season:
Cole/Hampton/Otto/Okeke/Bamba or WCJ
swarlesbarkley
Assistant Coach

Post#1904 » by swarlesbarkley » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:19 pm

Cliff probably gonna run out a line-up of

Ennis
Okeke
Birch
WCjr
Bamba

With Otto and Ross coming off the bench lol.
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,234

Post#1905 » by Blue_and_Whte » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:23 pm

Skin wrote:
MartinsIzAfraud wrote:ohhh man Marc Daniels (96.9) now saying Cliff can't be happy with this and he didn't sign up for it. Could see that being an issue at the end of the year

Shows the selfish side of Cliff that I knew was there ALL ALONG. He's Skiles in a mask.

He said “Cliff can’t be happy” not “Cliff is not happy.” He was sharing an opinion.
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,234

Post#1906 » by Blue_and_Whte » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:26 pm

yoyojw17 wrote:
Skin wrote:

Sounds like opinion and not fact. THough it could still be. lol.

but i think Cliff might be happy as there are pieces for him to work in.... and possibly more talent than what he was dealing with in charlotte.

Even if he isn’t, it doesn’t prove that he’s selfish. No coach would be happy with their best players being traded away. The coaches and players job is to win. It’s the FOs job to tank if that’s what they want to do.
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,688

Post#1907 » by basketballRob » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:28 pm

Draftnet has us taking Bouknight with the 12th pick. I really like Kispert if he falls.

https://www.nbadraft.net/nba-mock-drafts/
Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,632

Post#1908 » by Skin » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:28 pm

Howard Mass wrote:My takes on the deals...........

Vucevic: I don't like it at all. Wendell Carter has not panned out, the firsts will likely be mid-first round and are Top-4 protected. I just have too much faith in the Lavine/Vucevic pairing along with Coach Billy Donovan that these picks will be much although there is a chance Chicago could end up in the late lottery this year if they lose in the play in. Dumping Aminu's contract is nice but trading Nikola Vucevic for this haul (I don't care if people think it is market value) is a bad move.

Fournier: His and Oladipo's deals show how little value players on expiring deals have. I would have loved Romeo Langford or a late first of some kind but it was not going to happen.

Gordon: I like this move a lot. I wanted a young player and a future first for him. They also got a good role player in Gary Harris who could regain his form from a few years ago. The main piece I like is R.J. Hampton. He's who I wanted The Magic to take at #15 when Vassell, Haliburton and Kira Lewis Jr. were off the board. Now, The Magic have both him and Cole Anthony. That first down the line could be good as it is only top-5 protected and you never what will happen 4 years down the line.

All in all, I'm happy about the Gordon deal, meh on The Fournier deal but HATE The Vucevic deal.

Nikola Vucevic could have been kept and helped next season with the return of Issac and Fultz, the addition of a high draft pick and a rebuild wing position.

I appreciate the honestly. Sometimes I read your posts and I think.... man, it must suck having to play the role of the good guy all the time in defending the Magic's moves.

The biggest key to this rebuild still lays in the hands of the basketball Gods in allowing us to get a top 3 pick. Any one of Cade, Suggs, Green being in a Magic uniform next year is one of the most exciting thoughts I have had for the Magic in a long time.

Yesterday, I made a sad and jealous post about how the Suns turned their team around into the 2nd best team in the West when they had been side by side for us in the lottery for so many years. They made mistakes like Len, Bender, Jackson... but hit on Booker, Bridges, Ayton... Having 3 young studs attracted CP3 and getting Crowder was easy rounding out their starting 5.

The Sixers were bottoming out too and we were alongside them... they whiffed on several picks as well... MCW, Okafor, Fultz... they actually drafted and then traded Mikal Bridges to PHX for Zaire Smith and pick coming to them this year. woof. But they hit on Simmons, Embiid and then brought in Tobias... now they're the #1 team in the East.

Miami did the same last year and got to the Finals... Hitting on Adebayo, Herro, bringing in Butler and bam, pretender to contender that quick.

The Magic can be right there with them now that they made these moves. It's a short term sacrifice for a long term chance at a higher level of success. With Fultz, Isaac, Cade/Suggs/Green... they have the chance at forming that young trio of up and coming studs that a veteran star could want to join. ...and most importantly, we'll have the cap space to do it! If any of Hampton, Carter, Bamba, Okeke, Anthony break out... now we would REALLY be cooking! I'm SO EXCITED about the Magic's future and WeHam have totally REVIVED my faith and confidence in them.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
Furinkazan
General Manager
And1: 3,533

Post#1909 » by Furinkazan » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:30 pm

KillMonger wrote:
MoGrAdY wrote:
Furinkazan wrote:I wish we traded AG for LeVert as it was rumored that was on the table earlier this season :/
At least we would have a scorer

Ross is about to average 40.

attempts

And avg 19 pts
IllMagic04
Analyst
And1: 1,799

Post#1910 » by IllMagic04 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:31 pm

Howard Mass wrote:My takes on the deals...........

Vucevic: I don't like it at all. Wendell Carter has not panned out, the firsts will likely be mid-first round and are Top-4 protected. I just have too much faith in the Lavine/Vucevic pairing along with Coach Billy Donovan that these picks will be much although there is a chance Chicago could end up in the late lottery this year if they lose in the play in. Dumping Aminu's contract is nice but trading Nikola Vucevic for this haul (I don't care if people think it is market value) is a bad move.

Fournier: His and Oladipo's deals show how little value players on expiring deals have. I would have loved Romeo Langford or a late first of some kind but it was not going to happen.

Gordon: I like this move a lot. I wanted a young player and a future first for him. They also got a good role player in Gary Harris who could regain his form from a few years ago. The main piece I like is R.J. Hampton. He's who I wanted The Magic to take at #15 when Vassell, Haliburton and Kira Lewis Jr. were off the board. Now, The Magic have both him and Cole Anthony. That first down the line could be good as it is only top-5 protected and you never what will happen 4 years down the line.

All in all, I'm happy about the Gordon deal, meh on The Fournier deal but HATE The Vucevic deal.

Nikola Vucevic could have been kept and helped next season with the return of Issac and Fultz, the addition of a high draft pick and a rebuild wing position.
I agree with you for the most part. I will say its possible they told Vuc they were moving Evan and Gordon and asked if hed wanna go through another rebuild and he declined. To be real I wouldnt want Vuc to spend his entire prime losing. He deserves to go play competitive playoff basketball. As for the deal itself its ok. I don't love it. The Bulls arent gonna be a top 3 team in the East the pick will probally end up around 15-18 Theres value there. Also you cant forget about the addition by substraction. We are gonna lose alot the rest of the year. No reason we shouldnt be able to lock in the 4 spot in the lottery odds with Vuc gone. Not a fan of WCJr but no real risk there. Otto Porter is a salary dump. Id prefer we waive him but I dont think they will.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,688

Post#1911 » by basketballRob » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:31 pm

Furinkazan wrote:
KillMonger wrote:
MoGrAdY wrote:
Ross is about to average 40.

attempts

And avg 19 pts
I think Ross will sit a lot with minor injuries. He knows we're tanking. Same with Porter.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,224

Post#1912 » by pepe1991 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:55 pm

Don't pretend that we are now locked to draft Cade or Suggs.

Sitting at 4th worst record gives us 42% chance to end up with 5th or 6th pick.

And there is only 28-30 games to play, T wolves and Detroit is lock for 2 worst records.

Trade grades are wild .From people crying in joy to people crying in anger. Truth is in between.

Magic didn't really get anything major, picks are huge unknown,but odds are, non of them will end up in lottery regardless.

It's a rebuild. Most of the time it's nothing but live- casting for some imaginary future " good roster" . ( not really, almost always once you get star, almost all "assets" are traded ,but it's easier to sell it to fans notion of casting ).
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
Hoopslife
Senior
And1: 77

Post#1913 » by Hoopslife » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:58 pm

The title of this thread is pretty fitting now. Haha
Magicfanatic82
Junior
And1: 200

Post#1914 » by Magicfanatic82 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:00 pm

Jabari Parker, Kabengili getting released. We might need a PF for depth
swarlesbarkley
Assistant Coach

Post#1915 » by swarlesbarkley » Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:03 pm

Magicfanatic82 wrote:Jabari Parker, Kabengili getting released. We might need a PF for depth

Kabengele seems like a guy WeHam would like.
Skin
RealGM

Post#1916 » by Skin » Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:22 pm

pepe1991 wrote:Don't pretend that we are now locked to draft Cade or Suggs.

Sitting at 4th worst record gives us 42% chance to end up with 5th or 6th pick.

And there is only 28-30 games to play, T wolves and Detroit is lock for 2 worst records.

Trade grades are wild .From people crying in joy to people crying in anger. Truth is in between.

Magic didn't really get anything major, picks are huge unknown,but odds are, non of them will end up in lottery regardless.

It's a rebuild. Most of the time it's nothing but live- casting for some imaginary future " good roster" . ( not really, almost always once you get star, almost all "assets" are traded ,but it's easier to sell it to fans notion of casting ).

Are you a Magic fan or are you going to transition to the Bulls forum?

We are sitting at 4th worse NOW, but I doubt we win another game the rest of the year. As long as we are just ONE of the bottom 3 teams then we will have an EQUAL CHANCE as any of the other 2 to get the top pick.

Lastly, I'd take Green ahead of Cade and Suggs, but that's my personal preference.
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
MoMM
RealGM
And1: 1,715

Post#1917 » by MoMM » Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:22 pm

So we got Jeff Teague from the Celtics too?
Skin
RealGM

Post#1918 » by Skin » Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:25 pm

MoMM wrote:So we got Jeff Teague from the Celtics too?

Magic told him not to fly over. They are waiving him.
Skin
RealGM

Post#1919 » by Skin » Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:26 pm

I have Okeke, Hampton, Harris available in my fantasy league. If I can only add one, who should I pick up?
MoMM
RealGM
And1: 1,715

Post#1920 » by MoMM » Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:28 pm

Skin wrote:I have Okeke, Hampton, Harris available in my fantasy league. If I can only add one, who should I pick up?

Harris for sure.

Return to Orlando Magic