ImageImageImageImage

2020-2021 Regular Season Game 41: Brooklyn Nets (28-13) at Orlando Magic (13-27)

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Nyce_1
RealGM
And1: 5,975

Re: 2020-2021 Regular Season Game 41: Brooklyn Nets (28-13) at Orlando Magic (13-27) 

Post#121 » by Nyce_1 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:29 am

tiderulz wrote:
89Magicfan wrote:AG is entering his prime. He may put it all together the next season or two.

A GOOD young player...I agree.

i dont know any player that took 8-9 years to put it all together
Lowry?
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,104

Re: 2020-2021 Regular Season Game 41: Brooklyn Nets (28-13) at Orlando Magic (13-27) 

Post#122 » by tiderulz » Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:31 am

Nyce_1 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
89Magicfan wrote:AG is entering his prime. He may put it all together the next season or two.

Lowry?

he started showing it 5 years in
jonbob17
Analyst
And1: 1,317

Post#123 » by jonbob17 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:50 am

Nyce_1 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:

Lowry?

Birch?
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,399

Post#124 » by Bensational » Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:12 am

tiderulz wrote:
fklt wrote:I think it's too early to write AG off as a finished product. but even if not, being this eager to make judgement calls about players, this confidently always feels weird to me still. the guy came really early into the league, and while I'll admit he was a lot less mature than I hoped he would be, that also means he still has lots of opportunities to grow wiser. unfortunately for us, it might take moving to a different mindset and probably a different team.

hope we trade him to somewhere more structured like golden state where he can assume a more defined role and curb his worst instincts.

7 years into the NBA isnt too early to call what AG is.

It's true that it seems like a safe bet to say he's no lead offensive option star in the waiting, but what AG could ultimately be and where he could fit will depend on where he ends up. He's definitely going to have at least one career year in the next 4 years.

I don't think Millsap's prime is a bad comp for AG's potential. Millsap was part of a freak regular season super team with Horford, Korver, Teague and DeMarre Carroll. Now Millsap is the ultimate role player for Denver, he's just too far past his prime to fulfil it. Gordon would flourish there, no doubt.

His skill set doesn't need to improve dramatically for him to be a Millsap or even Igoudala type impact glue-guy on a winning team, but the value of his impact would look noticeably better under that spotlight.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,104

Post#125 » by tiderulz » Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:34 am

Bensational wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
fklt wrote:I think it's too early to write AG off as a finished product. but even if not, being this eager to make judgement calls about players, this confidently always feels weird to me still. the guy came really early into the league, and while I'll admit he was a lot less mature than I hoped he would be, that also means he still has lots of opportunities to grow wiser. unfortunately for us, it might take moving to a different mindset and probably a different team.

hope we trade him to somewhere more structured like golden state where he can assume a more defined role and curb his worst instincts.

7 years into the NBA isnt too early to call what AG is.

It's true that it seems like a safe bet to say he's no lead offensive option star in the waiting, but what AG could ultimately be and where he could fit will depend on where he ends up. He's definitely going to have at least one career year in the next 4 years.

I don't think Millsap's prime is a bad comp for AG's potential. Millsap was part of a freak regular season super team with Horford, Korver, Teague and DeMarre Carroll. Now Millsap is the ultimate role player for Denver, he's just too far past his prime to fulfil it. Gordon would flourish there, no doubt.

His skill set doesn't need to improve dramatically for him to be a Millsap or even Igoudala type impact glue-guy on a winning team, but the value of his impact would look noticeably better under that spotlight.

I dont disagree he can carve out a continuing role. but these people that think he is going to morph into some consistent all-star is just silly to me
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,017

Post#126 » by fendilim » Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:56 am

AG is a 3&D guy.
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,959

Post#127 » by Xatticus » Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:08 am

tiderulz wrote:
Bensational wrote:
tiderulz wrote:7 years into the NBA isnt too early to call what AG is.

I dont disagree he can carve out a continuing role. but these people that think he is going to morph into some consistent all-star is just silly to me

Is this a debate that we are actually having? I thought that was just one of pepe's strawmen?

I have little doubt that AG could have been an All-Star by now if that were the mission. You could play him 35 minutes a night and pump up his usage to 30ish and you have Julius Randle. Wonderful. Does that make us any better? Maybe? I just couldn't give a **** less if someone is an All-Star or not. If that's a product of building a competitive team... wonderful, but it's no substitute for actually being competent.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,908

Post#128 » by drsd » Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:12 am

Bensational wrote:Vucevic didn’t arrive until he was 28 and in his 8th season and under his 6th coach.

This is incorrect. Vučević had a typical rookie year, a year 2 were he did too much (for Orlando) (13/2/12), a year 3 were he stabilized into the player he will always be (14/1/11).

He has a scoring bump in year 4 that has led to a fairly level stat line since (19/2/11). This compares to the stat aline you mention (21/4/12).

Two major developments occurred from year 4 to who he is today; i) a linear improvement in passing and ii) a newly developed 3-ball.

These are the "skills" I mentioned. But fans here have clamped on for 6 years that, for one example of many, Vučević is not a rim protector. The point is that Vučević has fundamentally been the same player over his Magic career.

With on exception: in years 1-5, he did not shoot three-pointers, in year-6 he took one a game, and from years 7-10, he has been fitting away. That is the one area Vučević has dramatically evolved. (And that has correlated with a reduction in offensive rebounds).

drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,908

Post#129 » by drsd » Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:51 am

fendilim wrote:AG is a 3&D guy.

One can dream.

But in fairness to him, his three-ball is well above the Mendoza line this year at 41%.

Return to Orlando Magic