ImageImageImageImage

Nikola Vučević and Al-Farouq Aminu traded to Chicago for Wendell Carter Jr and 2021/2023 1st Round Picks

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,373

Re: Nikola Vučević and Al-Farouq Aminu traded to Chicago for Wendell Carter Jr and 2021/2023 1st Round Picks 

Post#302 » by PrimeThyme » Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:10 pm

Spoiler:
Magic: A-

Blowing it up has been the right call in Orlando for a while. It's finally happening now.

Vucevic is fantastic, but he has limitations as a franchise's best player. The Magic never surrounded him with the co-star necessary to be more than a semi-middling playoff team. Moving him allows them to formulate a more gradual vision with a higher peak almost from scratch. Jonathan Isaac, who is out for the season with a torn left ACL, projects as this rebuild's focal point, but Orlando is no longer beholden to its stagnant place in the league's pecking order.

Getting two first-round picks from a could-be playoff team seems unimpressive on its face. The Bulls currently have the 10th-best lottery odds and should only get better with Vucevic. That 2021 first may, if not probably will, convey outside the lottery.

Chicago's 2023 first remains a potential golden ticket no matter what by virtue of post-dating LaVine's current contract. Carter might qualify as one himself. His passing and range haven't shined during his time with the Bulls, but he's battled injuries and restrictive opportunities. Orlando has the runway to let him play through whatever and plumb the depths of his offensive volume. His defensive mobility will be put to good use under head coach Steve Clifford.

The Magic have now also positioned themselves to be cap-space players over the summer. They've cut $27.3 million off next season's payroll (so far) by exchanging salaries for Vooch and Aminu with WCJ's negligible cap hit and Porter's expiring salary. Orlando is not an available-superstar destination, but this frees up the front office to take on unwanted contracts attached to assets or get mega-aggressive on offer sheets for restricted free agents.

From bleacher report. My thoughts exactly. Everyone outside of our fanbase seems to think we made out pretty well today. I have to agree, particularly with this trade.

I think there is just still a lot of attachment to these guys, but we have to stop viewing them through these lenses. This Vuc trade was a very good move in my opinion.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,282

Re: Nikola Vučević and Al-Farouq Aminu traded to Chicago for Wendell Carter Jr and 2021/2023 1st Round Picks 

Post#303 » by pepe1991 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:10 pm

Skin wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:Before Skin's eraction errupts, Wendell made no progress in year one to year to nor in year two to year three.
Esencially, Wendell, 3 years into his nba career is copy past same player he was at college.

It's also important to note guy is kind a fatty, 6'10- 270 pounds. His numbers are mostly all around negative, on both ends. And i was reading something about him month ago, that he is type of dude who gets depressed if he makes mistakes and just mentally checks out of a game.

He's lihgt years ahead of where Vuc was at the same age. Not fatty at all.

and before you talk about his health, Vuc was a walking crutch early ...actually throughout his career as well.

This is factually false, actually all of it :lol: But comming from you, i never expect anything less but bias, false informations and opinons treated like facts.

Vuc in second season averaged 13 ppg ( that's more than 3 years Wendell ever menaged) and 12 rebounds( again, more than Wendel menaged in 3), Vuc averaged 1,0 block ( witch is also more than Wendell and his wingspan ever did ) on top of that , in 2 years Vuc played 128 of possible 164 games. Wendell Carter jr in 2 and half years played 119 of possible 208 games. I hope we passed second grade math and you can carculate Vuc played more games in 2 seasons than Wendell in almost 3 seasons.

But let's not get into Wendell vs Vuc rabbithole. Bulls just traded Wendell away because Vuc gives them better chance to win games. Magic traded Vuc for opposite desire. By just looking into direcitons this teamas are headed ,it's not really hard to even biggest hater to understand diffeence in quality between players exchanged.

Anyway,Wendell at least isn't as terrible as Bamba and is player that is menagable and workable and player that should be able to improve. But for start, he needs to be in better shape.
i don't hate Wendell, i think he can be some Al Horford- lite if he works hard.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
Gomagic44
Head Coach
And1: 2,187

Post#304 » by Gomagic44 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:14 pm

Wow!!!!! Thank God! I'm interested in this franchise again!

Sent from my HD1900 using RealGM mobile app
PrimeThyme
RealGM

Post#305 » by PrimeThyme » Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:18 pm

I love how Chicago fans are talking about Orlando being in a "perpetual rebuild" as if Chicago hasn't been in the exact same position since Jordan left.

I really don't see how a Vuc/Lavine pairing is going to get them off the treadmill either. Whatever, not my business I suppose.
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Post#306 » by Skin » Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:19 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
Skin wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:Before Skin's eraction errupts, Wendell made no progress in year one to year to nor in year two to year three.
Esencially, Wendell, 3 years into his nba career is copy past same player he was at college.

It's also important to note guy is kind a fatty, 6'10- 270 pounds. His numbers are mostly all around negative, on both ends. And i was reading something about him month ago, that he is type of dude who gets depressed if he makes mistakes and just mentally checks out of a game.

He's lihgt years ahead of where Vuc was at the same age. Not fatty at all.

and before you talk about his health, Vuc was a walking crutch early ...actually throughout his career as well.

This is factually false, actually all of it :lol: But comming from you, i never expect anything less but bias, false informations and opinons treated like facts.

Vuc in second season averaged 13 ppg ( that's more than 3 years Wendell ever menaged) and 12 rebounds( again, more than Wendel menaged in 3), Vuc averaged 1,0 block ( witch is also more than Wendell and his wingspan ever did ) on top of that , in 2 years Vuc played 128 of possible 164 games. Wendell Carter jr in 2 and half years played 119 of possible 208 games. I hope we passed second grade math and you can carculate Vuc played more games in 2 seasons than Wendell in almost 3 seasons.

But let's not get into Wendell vs Vuc rabbithole. Bulls just traded Wendell away because Vuc gives them better chance to win games. Magic traded Vuc for opposite desire. By just looking into direcitons this teamas are headed ,it's not really hard to even biggest hater to understand diffeence in quality between players exchanged.

Anyway,Wendell at least isn't as terrible as Bamba and is player that is menagable and workable and player that should be able to improve. But for start, he needs to be in better shape.

Lol I said same age... when Vuc was 21 years old, he was a Rookie averaging 5.5 ppg.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#307 » by pepe1991 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:26 pm

Skin wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
Skin wrote:He's lihgt years ahead of where Vuc was at the same age. Not fatty at all.

Lol I said same age... when Vuc was 21 years old, he was a Rookie averaging 5.5 ppg.

And at age of 20 MJ averaged 0,0 ppg witch means Kwame was better :D
PrimeThyme
RealGM

Post#308 » by PrimeThyme » Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:29 pm

If WCJ can turn into even a quality starting level center it will be a huge win. With the picks included and getting off Aminu's contract, that's all he needs to become for this to be a huge win. He doesn't need to be Vuc.
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Post#309 » by Skin » Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:29 pm

PrimeThyme wrote:I love how Chicago fans are talking about Orlando being in a "perpetual rebuild" as if Chicago hasn't been in the exact same position since Jordan left.

I really don't see how a Vuc/Lavine pairing is going to get them off the treadmill either. Whatever, not my business I suppose.

Chicago is now the old us. Fooling themselves if they think with this move that they are now going to contend for a championship. They'll be lucky if they make it out of round 1. They're in an abyss but they don't know it yet.

This new Magic team is on its way to new hopes and new progress. Now gimme that Top 3 pick baby!!! :D
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
Audi
Analyst
And1: 2,776

Post#310 » by Audi » Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:31 pm

Skin wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
Skin wrote:He's lihgt years ahead of where Vuc was at the same age. Not fatty at all.

Lol. All that reaction over failed reading comprehension.
Abra Cadabra, Razzmatazz, Slam-Dunk Sesame, Hocus Pocus, Alacazam, Gonna set the spirit free
Keeping The Original Orlando Magic Theme Song Alive
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,551

Post#311 » by SOUL » Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:31 pm

I'm pretty meh on WCJ but I do like that it gives two guys that need a bit of motivation to compete for a spot WCJ/Bamba (assuming Bamba isn't moved).

The rest of the picks I'll speak on once we make our picks with those, but I'm just glad we got some assets out of guys that we clearly aren't going anywhere with. Vuc is going to eat in Chicago.
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,145

Post#312 » by Def Swami » Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:31 pm

This is my biggest concern with this trade. Bottoming out is a risky game. I always thought the Magic landing a top 4 pick and bringing Fultz, Isaac, and Vucevic back next year would have been a nice blend of veterans and young players and allowed for a bridge to the next iteration of the Orlando Magic. This is a full blow rebuild that will probably take at least 3 years to crawl out of. And oftentimes, it will take longer.
Read on Twitter
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#313 » by pepe1991 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:32 pm

Skin wrote:
PrimeThyme wrote:I love how Chicago fans are talking about Orlando being in a "perpetual rebuild" as if Chicago hasn't been in the exact same position since Jordan left.

Chicago is now the old us. Fooling themselves if they think with this move that they are now going to contend for a championship. They'll be lucky if they make it out of round 1. They're in an abyss but they don't know it yet.

This new Magic team is on its way to new hopes and new progress. Now gimme that Top 3 pick baby!!! :D

I swear,we traded Dwight and same thing people said to Lakers fans about Dwight.
And in some crazy way, Dwight still ended up being great center of Lakers championship, and Magic in mean time won 0 playoff series and 2 playoff games - 11 years later.

So let's not say stupid things, they always bite us in a**
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,551

Post#314 » by SOUL » Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:34 pm

Def Swami wrote:This is my biggest concern with this trade. Bottoming out is a risky game. I always thought the Magic landing a top 4 pick and bringing Fultz, Isaac, and Vucevic back next year would have been a nice blend of veterans and young players and allowed for a bridge to the next iteration of the Orlando Magic. This is a full blow rebuild that will probably take at least 3 years to crawl out of. And oftentimes, it will take longer.
Read on Twitter

Bringing two guys in from big time injuries means we had to work them in slowly though, and even then, I don't know, Fournier is gone and we probably don't have much of a ceiling beyond 7th like usual.
neuraldarwinism
Sixth Man
And1: 1,051

Post#315 » by neuraldarwinism » Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:35 pm

the forever rebuild narrative is hilarious because we tanked max, 1 full season, and have been obsessively chasing the playoffs ever since.

the magic always sucking is constantly mischaracterized and reframed as us tanking or giving young players too much leeway by our fan base and media. the inevitable conclusion from this inaccurate assessment is we must stay the course because we've seen what has happened to this franchise in the recent past when we were purposely bad.
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,150

Post#316 » by Optimus_Steel » Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:37 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
Skin wrote:

I swear,we traded Dwight and same thing people said to Lakers fans about Dwight.
And in some crazy way, Dwight still ended up being great center of Lakers championship, and Magic in mean time won 0 playoff series and 2 playoff games - 11 years later.

So let's not say stupid things, they always bite us in a**

Come on you know that's is not the same, Dwight won a title being a min salary player type...
aka: prorl
PrimeThyme
RealGM

Post#317 » by PrimeThyme » Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:37 pm

Def Swami wrote:This is my biggest concern with this trade. Bottoming out is a risky game. I always thought the Magic landing a top 4 pick and bringing Fultz, Isaac, and Vucevic back next year would have been a nice blend of veterans and young players and allowed for a bridge to the next iteration of the Orlando Magic. This is a full blow rebuild that will probably take at least 3 years to crawl out of. And oftentimes, it will take longer.

Vuc is 30 years old with only 2 years left on his contract. His absolute peak trade value was today. I was on board with keeping him, but I'm also on board with this as well.

Keeping Vuc and remaining in no man's land is a risky game as well that we've been playing for years now. Sure, it doesn't come along with the possibility of completely sinking into the abyss, but it doesn't give any hope of becoming something more than what you are either. It's NBA purgatory.

This to me may be the harder and riskier move to make, but it was also the right one imo. We couldn't play the bridge game any longer. We had to commit to a path.
Rainwater
General Manager
And1: 5,586

Post#318 » by Rainwater » Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:38 pm

PrimeThyme wrote:
Spoiler:
Magic: A-

Blowing it up has been the right call in Orlando for a while. It's finally happening now.

Vucevic is fantastic, but he has limitations as a franchise's best player. The Magic never surrounded him with the co-star necessary to be more than a semi-middling playoff team. Moving him allows them to formulate a more gradual vision with a higher peak almost from scratch. Jonathan Isaac, who is out for the season with a torn left ACL, projects as this rebuild's focal point, but Orlando is no longer beholden to its stagnant place in the league's pecking order.

Getting two first-round picks from a could-be playoff team seems unimpressive on its face. The Bulls currently have the 10th-best lottery odds and should only get better with Vucevic. That 2021 first may, if not probably will, convey outside the lottery.

Chicago's 2023 first remains a potential golden ticket no matter what by virtue of post-dating LaVine's current contract. Carter might qualify as one himself. His passing and range haven't shined during his time with the Bulls, but he's battled injuries and restrictive opportunities. Orlando has the runway to let him play through whatever and plumb the depths of his offensive volume. His defensive mobility will be put to good use under head coach Steve Clifford.

The Magic have now also positioned themselves to be cap-space players over the summer. They've cut $27.3 million off next season's payroll (so far) by exchanging salaries for Vooch and Aminu with WCJ's negligible cap hit and Porter's expiring salary. Orlando is not an available-superstar destination, but this frees up the front office to take on unwanted contracts attached to assets or get mega-aggressive on offer sheets for restricted free agents.

From bleacher report. My thoughts exactly. Everyone outside of our fanbase seems to think we made out pretty well today. I have to agree, particularly with this trade.

I think there is just still a lot of attachment to these guys, but we have to stop viewing them through these lenses. This Vuc trade was a very good move in my opinion.

Man, the magic did a fantastic job, lol. But the easy part was breaking it down, the hard part is rebuilding.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,713

Post#319 » by basketballRob » Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:40 pm

I was a big WCJ fan in the draft and think he has potential. With Clark, Aminu, and AG gone, I'm sure we'll see some Mo and WCJ lineups.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,145

Post#320 » by Def Swami » Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:41 pm

SOUL wrote:
Read on Twitter

Bringing two guys in from big time injuries means we had to work them in slowly though, and even then, I don't know, Fournier is gone and we probably don't have much of a ceiling beyond 7th like usual.

I don't disagree with it. I think there's merit to this. And I'm glad the front office finally chose a path forward after four years. They're clearly prioritizing young players and draft picks.

I also think this path requires a lot of luck. The Magic have to hit on the pick this year. This is all worth it and makes sense if it's for Cunningham, Suggs, Mobley, Green. But, all this just to end up with Bouknight would be rough. Young players rarely win in the NBA. I think Isaac is worthy of building with. I actually really like Carter Jr too. But having a generational talent is one of the few ways to grind out of the doldrums of the NBA and I'm hoping, praying, begging the gods to bless us with some good fortune.

Return to Orlando Magic