ImageImageImageImage

Dust settling...what’s the vision?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Re: Dust settling...what’s the vision? 

Post#81 » by Skin » Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:45 pm

I'm still a bit shell shocked that WeHam finally flipped Henny's assets and turned this team over onto a new path in their vision.

Before this season started I just harped over and over again that they needed to do 3 things.

1) Get rid of Henny's guys and build this team in their image
2) Clear cap
3) Tank

Now that we are on this path, I've been floating on cloud 9 the last few days.

Here's the funny thing though... They got rid of Henny's guys, they cleared cap, but I still think the Magic are a little too strong for their own good. We are going to win a few more games and that will be somewhat heartbreaking.

Having defensive Centers really is a real game changer. Between Bamba and Carter they really changed the dynamic of our playing style. We'll have to see how it plays out, but holding the Lakers scoring under 100 points in our latest game was unexpected as we have hardly held teams to under 100 points all season and I think we were all expecting to be blown out. But Bamba had a defensive rating of 130. Carter showed hustle and nice flashes for his first game (including 7 FT attemps!). When was the last time we had a Center go to the line that much? Single-handedly they did not make up for the loss of Vuc, but together in 35 mins, it wasn't all that bad. 19 pts, 15 reb, 3 ast, 3 blks, 9 FTA, 1 3pt. That'd be a nice line for Vuc. But we were able to show defense. The soft label that has cursed us might already be gone!
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
Last Guardian
RealGM
And1: 3,935

Post#82 » by Last Guardian » Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:00 pm

Skin wrote:I'm still a bit shell shocked that WeHam finally flipped Henny's assets and turned this team over onto a new path in their vision.

Before this season started I just harped over and over again that they needed to do 3 things.

2) Clear cap
3) Tank

Here's the funny thing though... They got rid of Henny's guys, they cleared cap, but I still think the Magic are a little too strong for their own good. We are going to win a few more games and that will be somewhat heartbreaking.

Having defensive Centers really is a real game changer. Between Bamba and Carter they really changed the dynamic of our playing style. We'll have to see how it plays out, but holding the Lakers scoring under 100 points in our latest game was unexpected as we have hardly held teams to under 100 points all season and I think we were all expecting to be blown out. But Bamba had a defensive rating of 130. Carter showed hustle and nice flashes for his first game (including 7 FT attemps!). When was the last time we had a Center go to the line that much? Single-handedly they did not make up for the loss of Vuc, but together in 35 mins, it wasn't all that bad. 19 pts, 15 reb, 3 ast, 3 blks, 9 FTA, 1 3pt. That'd be a nice line for Vuc. But we were able to show defense. The soft label that has cursed us might already be gone!

I think thats what so many of us enjoyed about the last two games. As expected, they are pretty terrible on offense. But they are not soft anymore.
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,156

Post#83 » by zaymon » Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:22 pm

jonbob17 wrote:
zaymon wrote:
I like Ross but he has his flaws. He is not exactly a two way player and his offense is one dimensional. If i had to choose between him and Harris i propably pick Harris.
Its hard to make multiple moves in one day. Maybe we run out of time to trade Ross. He will also retain his full value in the offseason. I am curious if Clifford will start him.
In the end our guard rotation will be tight. Do you prefer to retain Ross or get frp for him and have playing time for Hampton ? Maybe we will decide after we evaluate our new players. I have a feeling Weltman wants to compete sooner than later.

I don't think Ross can get a first. If he could he would have been moved. Since he is under contract for 2 more years, I don't think they would move a shooter, which we sorely lack, for a 2nd or two.

Ross is fine at what he does. he hits tough 3s off movement. It's valuable, but it's sort of what his contract is worth. He's not providing a bunch of surplus value. Guys like him get signed to similar deals every offseason.

I dont know if there will be room for Ross depending how this season ends. Fultz, Harris, Hampton Anthony thats your guard rotation. If we talk about wings i prefer Porter over Ross. It will propably come down to Ross vs resiging Porter.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
penny_nz
Analyst
And1: 1,546

Post#84 » by penny_nz » Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:22 pm

Skin wrote:I'm still a bit shell shocked that WeHam finally flipped Henny's assets and turned this team over onto a new path in their vision.

2) Clear cap
3) Tank

I know what you mean, but that's always going to be the reality, even teams like Detroit are picking up wins. I'm just remaining comfortable that we're still banged up and have a brutal schedule ahead.
I still believe in Magic! Welcome to the Franz & Paolo era
Skin
RealGM

Post#85 » by Skin » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:17 pm

zaymon wrote:
jonbob17 wrote:
zaymon wrote:
I like Ross but he has his flaws. He is not exactly a two way player and his offense is one dimensional. If i had to choose between him and Harris i propably pick Harris.
Its hard to make multiple moves in one day. Maybe we run out of time to trade Ross. He will also retain his full value in the offseason. I am curious if Clifford will start him.
In the end our guard rotation will be tight. Do you prefer to retain Ross or get frp for him and have playing time for Hampton ? Maybe we will decide after we evaluate our new players. I have a feeling Weltman wants to compete sooner than later.

I don't think Ross can get a first. If he could he would have been moved. Since he is under contract for 2 more years, I don't think they would move a shooter, which we sorely lack, for a 2nd or two.

Ross is fine at what he does. he hits tough 3s off movement. It's valuable, but it's sort of what his contract is worth. He's not providing a bunch of surplus value. Guys like him get signed to similar deals every offseason.

I dont know if there will be room for Ross depending how this season ends. Fultz, Harris, Hampton Anthony thats your guard rotation. If we talk about wings i prefer Porter over Ross. It will propably come down to Ross vs resiging Porter.

I don't think that we will resign Porter. Even if he takes a 50% pay cut, he'll still be expensive and be wanting to start. We got him because he's an expiring contract 1st and foremost.

Ross has been loyal so it's harder, but if some team wants him for even at late 1st or 2 2nds, you gotta make the move. His price tag is not great... not bad either, but yeah not great.

Harris can be the veteran voice in the locker room picking up where Ross leaves off... if he left.

Might come down to Ross or Bacon. Bacon's contract is unguaranteed. But I would certainly rather pay Bacon $1.6M than Ross $13.5M.

OR.... NEITHER?!

If we draft Cunningham, Green or Kuminga, plus the CHI pick... we'll have a full deck.
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,156

Post#86 » by zaymon » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:35 pm

Skin wrote:
zaymon wrote:
jonbob17 wrote:

I don't think that we will resign Porter. Even if he takes a 50% pay cut, he'll still be expensive and be wanting to start. We got him because he's an expiring contract 1st and foremost.

Ross has been loyal so it's harder, but if some team wants him for even at late 1st or 2 2nds, you gotta make the move. His price tag is not great... not bad either, but yeah not great.

Harris can be the veteran voice in the locker room picking up where Ross leaves off... if he left.

Might come down to Ross or Bacon. Bacon's contract is unguaranteed. But I would certainly rather pay Bacon $1.6M than Ross $13.5M.

OR.... NEITHER?!

If we draft Cunningham, Green or Kuminga, plus the CHI pick... we'll have a full deck.

Resigning Porter and late frp for Ross seems better than Ross alone.
We need another offensive forward next to Isaac. Porter seems perfect. Okeke is great and my favourite player with JI but maybe he can be super sub ? I heard Gortat interview that Porter is a great guy and one of his closest friends.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
Skin
RealGM

Post#87 » by Skin » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:44 pm

zaymon wrote:
Skin wrote:
zaymon wrote:

OR.... NEITHER?!

We need another offensive forward next to Isaac. Porter seems perfect. Okeke is great and my favourite player with JI but maybe he can be super sub ? I heard Gortat interview that Porter is a great guy and one of his closest friends.

I would way rather have Okeke starting over Porter. Okeke is already better and he is just getting his feet wet. Porter is overrated and expensive. He'll want more money than a backup deserves, plus I imagine he'd want a starting job wherever he signs.

It's almost a nightmare resigning similar to Aminu. That was a bad deal and Porter would be too.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,818

Post#88 » by RookieStar » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:56 pm

2) Clear cap
3) Tank

Im not worried, we played POR without Dame, played LA without LBJ and AD...

As much as I love Vuc here, I will be the first to admit that we " MAYBE " won those games with the new roster and him. So bad for my "Fade for Cade" campaign.
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#89 » by RookieStar » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:58 pm

zaymon wrote:
Skin wrote:
zaymon wrote:

OR.... NEITHER?!

Depending how much OPJ wants, Im down for high-character vets that can mention our young guys. This cannot be stated enough, we need MENTORS, good class act poper etc VETS that our young guys listen to and emulate going forward. We don't want them picking up bad habit on and off the court during their time here with us.
MasterGMer
Veteran
And1: 584

Post#90 » by MasterGMer » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:39 pm

Magic should not trade Ross, because he provides shooting and fire in the 2nd unit. Which is our weakness. btw we won't get much either. But I hope Ross stays on the team.
Skin
RealGM

Post#91 » by Skin » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:56 pm

MasterGMer wrote:Magic should not trade Ross, because he provides shooting and fire in the 2nd unit. Which is our weakness. btw we won't get much either. But I hope Ross stays on the team.

Well, we also have Gary Harris who compliments shooting with defense. ...and he's 26 vs 30. I don't know about extending him, but it will be tough to find minutes for everyone, especially depending on how our draft pans out as well.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,715

Post#92 » by basketballRob » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:08 pm

Harris will probably start and Ross will come off the bench. If they were going to trade Ross they would've already did it. It's not worth a couple second rounders for a guy that leads your second unit.

I have no doubt this FO will start the season trying to make the playoffs.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#93 » by RookieStar » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:36 am

basketballRob wrote:Harris will probably start and Ross will come off the bench. If they were going to trade Ross they would've already did it. It's not worth a couple second rounders for a guy that leads your second unit.

I have no doubt this FO will start the season trying to make the playoffs.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app

Which I agree and support. Our young guys must want to win and do whatever it takes to do so. Only when all hope is lost do we concentrate on their development instead of wins
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,916

Post#94 » by drsd » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:17 am

Nyce_1 wrote:You forgot to include the player we take with Chi's pick in your projected roster (or explain what we do with that pick). So as you see, bringing in 3 rookies is not likely with so many other players still needing development. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to take as many bites of the apple as possible, and there will be some good 2nd round options, but we have to be realistic.

Also, seeing how this FO has done with 2nd round picks, i wouldn't expect anything good anyway, lol.

Well I would not have constructed a roster that Bamba starts and Carter does not.

For me I like Green, Kispert, and Timme in the draft leading to this roster on starting night:
(I see Bacon being re-upped; and Birch being resigned on a V-shaped 3-year 13 million deal: 6-3-4)

Anthony/Carter-Williams/Hampton
Harris/Green/Bacon
Isaac/Ross/Kispert
Carter/Okeke
Bamba/Timme/Birch

With Fultz as the 15th man on the roster who will take over starting around the all-star-break.

This leads to a really nice set of players for the 2022/23 season:

Fultz/Anthony
Green/Ross/Hampton
Isaac/Kispert
Carter/Okeke
Bamba/Timme/Birch

Perhaps there is a block-buster trade to (re)develop within. But those 13 players, adding the 2022 FRP-rookie, looks like a balanced roster that can grow together.

Return to Orlando Magic