ImageImageImageImage

2020-2021 Regular Season Game 47: Orlando Magic (15-31) at Los Angeles Clippers (32-16)

Moderators: Howard Mass, UCF, ChosenSavior, Knightro, SOUL, Def Swami, UCFJayBird

User avatar
OrlandO
RealGM
Posts: 21,588
And1: 16,370
Joined: May 27, 2009

Re: 2020-2021 Regular Season Game 47: Orlando Magic (15-31) at Los Angeles Clippers (32-16) 

Post#501 » by OrlandO » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:05 am

KillMonger wrote:
Read on Twitter

Final 3 minutes: MCW and Ross combine for 12 points and 3 steals. We let two bench vets win us a meaningless game at the very beginning of a new rebuild :lol:

MCW banged his knee in the previous game, Ross hadn't played in two weeks. We could have shut these guys down for the season in the name of injury prevention and youth development, nobody would question it after the trades we made. But nope... just had to play them.
User avatar
RookieStar
RealGM
Posts: 10,834
And1: 2,314
Joined: Jul 01, 2009
 

Re: 2020-2021 Regular Season Game 47: Orlando Magic (15-31) at Los Angeles Clippers (32-16) 

Post#502 » by RookieStar » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:05 am

Also, lets be realistic. Who here doesnt think its just the trade deadline high experienced bybour players? Not to mention the fact that the 3 teams we played all had their superstars out?

Also, we beat a Clips team that had no pg, morris, ibaka, beverly...
User avatar
Dub_Sax
Rookie
Posts: 1,011
And1: 55
Joined: Jun 22, 2001
Location: Ocoee, FL

Re: 2020-2021 Regular Season Game 47: Orlando Magic (15-31) at Los Angeles Clippers (32-16) 

Post#503 » by Dub_Sax » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:06 am

Is anyone else watching the replay?? :)

Sent from my SM-G955U using RealGM mobile app
User avatar
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
Posts: 10,052
And1: 11,659
Joined: Dec 18, 2010
Location: Orlando, FL
 

Re: 2020-2021 Regular Season Game 47: Orlando Magic (15-31) at Los Angeles Clippers (32-16) 

Post#504 » by Knightro » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:07 am

Skin wrote:What Weltman needs to tell Cliff if he wins another game using vets in the 4th quarter...


There's only 4 young guys healthy - Okeke, Hampton, Bamba and Carter.

Two of them play the same position and aren't going to be on the floor together anyway. Yet the two young bigs still combined to play the entire 4th quarter at center.

The Magic were down 8 points, 86-78, when Okeke checked back in and they proceeded to finish the game on a 25-10 run with he and WCJ in the front court the entire time.

So really the whole "don't play veterans!" thing boils down to Hampton not being out there. And like it or not, there's no way on earth that Clifford is going to play a mistake prone 20-year-old in crunch time over Ross, Bacon, Ennis or MCW.
The Effect
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
Posts: 3,411
And1: 1,332
Joined: Jul 09, 2004

Re: 2020-2021 Regular Season Game 47: Orlando Magic (15-31) at Los Angeles Clippers (32-16) 

Post#505 » by The Effect » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:12 am

OrlandO wrote:
KillMonger wrote:
Read on Twitter

Final 3 minutes: MCW and Ross combine for 12 points and 3 steals. We let two bench vets win us a meaningless game at the very beginning of a new rebuild :lol:

MCW banged his knee in the previous game, Ross hadn't played in two weeks. We could have shut these guys down for the season in the name of injury prevention and youth development, nobody would question it after the trades we made. But nope... just had to play them.

No man, youre crazy, didnt you know that Ross and MCW had **** nights and them being in during crunch time was all part of the tank because they sucked so much today!
The Effect
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
Posts: 3,411
And1: 1,332
Joined: Jul 09, 2004

Re: 2020-2021 Regular Season Game 47: Orlando Magic (15-31) at Los Angeles Clippers (32-16) 

Post#506 » by The Effect » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:15 am

Knightro wrote:So really the whole "don't play veterans!" thing boils down to Hampton not being out there. And like it or not, there's no way on earth that Clifford is going to play a mistake prone 20-year-old in crunch time over Ross, Bacon, Ennis or MCW.

I know right, why let the young guy get crucial minutes in a close game, craziness!
WAY better for the development of this team to let him rot on the bench and watch MCW........
User avatar
Dub_Sax
Rookie
Posts: 1,011
And1: 55
Joined: Jun 22, 2001
Location: Ocoee, FL

Re: 2020-2021 Regular Season Game 47: Orlando Magic (15-31) at Los Angeles Clippers (32-16) 

Post#507 » by Dub_Sax » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:20 am

Maaaan, y'all pro tankers are trippin! The team played hard and won. Would y'all rather them play hard and lose? Or not play hard so they can lose? All these losing seasons since the dwightmare and y'all think the best thing for the team to do is to lose more? C'mooooon maaaan..

Sent from my SM-G955U using RealGM mobile app
GelbeWand09
Senior
Posts: 613
And1: 842
Joined: Apr 17, 2018
       

Re: 2020-2021 Regular Season Game 47: Orlando Magic (15-31) at Los Angeles Clippers (32-16) 

Post#508 » by GelbeWand09 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:24 am

Not sursprised at all. You win games in this leaque with Vets & a highly upgraded defense without Vuc & Evan. We have alot (more than the other tanking teams) defensive minded, high intensity, scrappy, high character vets.
Is one of the reason why i never understood why many people had so much fear of a rebuild. The wins with our former core was easy to repeat anytime if you want. Every east team can play for the 8th spot IF they want. Just add vets, 3+D roleplayers & play defense. Its not like we teared down a 60 win team like the Hawks some years a go. :dontknow:

With Ross back & soon Harris, i think our best case scenario is 5-6th worse record. The cavs gonna pass us for sure & OKC is a good possibility, because there FO gonna do everything to better there odds. I think Toronto gets there act together, when not i expext them to totally shutdown all vets too.
Maybe the new odds help us & we get a top 3 anyway, but people should watch more Barnes & Moody vids for sure :lol:
User avatar
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
Posts: 10,052
And1: 11,659
Joined: Dec 18, 2010
Location: Orlando, FL
 

Re: 2020-2021 Regular Season Game 47: Orlando Magic (15-31) at Los Angeles Clippers (32-16) 

Post#509 » by Knightro » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:27 am

The Effect wrote:I know right, why let the young guy get crucial minutes in a close game, craziness!
WAY better for the development of this team to let him rot on the bench and watch MCW........


You're talking out of both sides here.

On one hand you are upset they won a game you thought they shouldn't have for tanking purposes.

But on the other hand you're upset that a guy who was 1-8 from the floor in the first 46 minutes of the game and also missed a pair of free throws that almost cost them the game beyond just generally being a disaster all night offensively in MCW was the guy who was out there?

If Hampton was out there and did *better* than MCW, the Magic may have won even easier and you'd still be upset.

So really it seems your argument is that Hampton should have been out there to ensure the loss because he would have done worse than MCW did. But ultimately that seems counterproductive to your other argument that Hampton needed to be out there because it would have been good for his positive development.

See how this goes around and around.
ogmagicfan
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,270
And1: 642
Joined: Mar 30, 2014
     

Re: 2020-2021 Regular Season Game 47: Orlando Magic (15-31) at Los Angeles Clippers (32-16) 

Post#510 » by ogmagicfan » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:28 am

Dub_Sax wrote:Maaaan, y'all pro tankers are trippin! The team played hard and won. Would y'all rather them play hard and lose? Or not play hard so they can lose? All these losing seasons since the dwightmare and y'all think the best thing for the team to do is to lose more? C'mooooon maaaan..

Sent from my SM-G955U using RealGM mobile app


Yes I would rather the team shamelessly try to lose and shutdown players like 76ers 2013-2016.

Than win meaningless games at the end of the season like every prior tanking ones that denied us far better picks/players. I want a better finished product. I want to have a team whose ceiling is higher than the 8th seed in the weak Eastern Conference. We had a 9 year rebuild and peaked at .500!
pepe1991
RealGM
Posts: 13,894
And1: 11,504
Joined: Jan 10, 2016
   

Re: 2020-2021 Regular Season Game 47: Orlando Magic (15-31) at Los Angeles Clippers (32-16) 

Post#511 » by pepe1991 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:30 am

Knightro wrote:
The Effect wrote:I know right, why let the young guy get crucial minutes in a close game, craziness!
WAY better for the development of this team to let him rot on the bench and watch MCW........


You're talking out of both sides here.

On one hand you are upset they won a game you thought they shouldn't have for tanking purposes.

But on the other hand you're upset that a guy who was 1-8 from the floor in the first 46 minutes of the game and also missed a pair of free throws that almost cost them the game beyond just generally being a disaster all night offensively in MCW was the guy who was out there?

If Hampton was out there and did *better* than MCW, the Magic may have won even easier and you'd still be upset.

So really it seems your argument is that Hampton should have been out there to ensure the loss because he would have done worse than MCW did. But ultimately that seems counterproductive to your other argument that Hampton needed to be out there because it would have been good for his positive development.

See how this goes around and around.


Tbh rooting for loose so you can win down the line is oxymoron anyway. It's hard to root to lose without getting annoyed at some point. That's why most times, after 2 yeras of tanking, fans lose interest in product.
Prediction day after Vuc, Gordon, Evan departure - most fans who are celebrating birth of new rebuild will be crying how rebuild is painful before 2022-23 season ends.
Date of writeup: March 26th, 2021.
GelbeWand09
Senior
Posts: 613
And1: 842
Joined: Apr 17, 2018
       

Re: 2020-2021 Regular Season Game 47: Orlando Magic (15-31) at Los Angeles Clippers (32-16) 

Post#512 » by GelbeWand09 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:31 am

Dub_Sax wrote:Maaaan, y'all pro tankers are trippin! The team played hard and won. Would y'all rather them play hard and lose? Or not play hard so they can lose? All these losing seasons since the dwightmare and y'all think the best thing for the team to do is to lose more? C'mooooon maaaan..

Sent from my SM-G955U using RealGM mobile app


I'm pro tank but i enjoy the games so far. If we miss out on a top 4, its on WeHam to keep all those vets. If you like it or not but we have positive character vets here, who care & not the tanking vets we had before, like Ben Gordon & Jeff Green.
User avatar
Dub_Sax
Rookie
Posts: 1,011
And1: 55
Joined: Jun 22, 2001
Location: Ocoee, FL

Re: 2020-2021 Regular Season Game 47: Orlando Magic (15-31) at Los Angeles Clippers (32-16) 

Post#513 » by Dub_Sax » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:36 am

ogmagicfan wrote:
Dub_Sax wrote:Maaaan, y'all pro tankers are trippin! The team played hard and won. Would y'all rather them play hard and lose? Or not play hard so they can lose? All these losing seasons since the dwightmare and y'all think the best thing for the team to do is to lose more? C'mooooon maaaan..

Sent from my SM-G955U using RealGM mobile app


Yes I would rather the team shamelessly try to lose and shutdown players like 76ers 2013-2016.

Than win meaningless games at the end of the season like every season including the tanking ones that denied us far better picks/players. I want a better finished product. I want to have a team whose ceiling is higher than the 8th seed in the weak Eastern Conference. We had a 9 year rebuild and peaked at .500!
Cooooorrect! We peaked at. 500 with players who believed it was ok to lose meaningless games and "try" to get a high draft pick.. how'd that work out?? Let's take a different approach this time.. play hard. play to win and let the chips fall where they may..

Sent from my SM-G955U using RealGM mobile app
The Effect
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
Posts: 3,411
And1: 1,332
Joined: Jul 09, 2004

Re: 2020-2021 Regular Season Game 47: Orlando Magic (15-31) at Los Angeles Clippers (32-16) 

Post#514 » by The Effect » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:38 am

Knightro wrote:
The Effect wrote:I know right, why let the young guy get crucial minutes in a close game, craziness!
WAY better for the development of this team to let him rot on the bench and watch MCW........


You're talking out of both sides here.

On one hand you are upset they won a game you thought they shouldn't have for tanking purposes.

But on the other hand you're upset that a guy who was 1-8 from the floor in the first 46 minutes of the game and also missed a pair of free throws that almost cost them the game beyond just generally being a disaster all night offensively in MCW was the guy who was out there?

If Hampton was out there and did *better* than MCW, the Magic may have won even easier and you'd still be upset.

So really it seems your argument is that Hampton should have been out there to ensure the loss because he would have done worse than MCW did. But ultimately that seems counterproductive to your other argument that Hampton needed to be out there because it would have been good for his positive development.

See how this goes around and around.

Yes, im upset that a guy who has no future with the team (isnt he a FA at the end of the season?) is in the game in critical situations over young players, especially when hes known as a great defensive pg (again, we all know his offense sucks, thats never been a question, he hasnt made it this long in the NBA because of his offensive skills) and is a vet....vets are clearly much more likely to get you wins in close games than rookies, i dont even know how thats a question

As for hampton, yes i do think he would of made mistakes and would of likely lost us the game but
a) who cares, losing is clearly in our best interest right now
b) even if he struggles, he gets experience and more importantly, experience in crucial situations
So sure even if we lose because of him, thats fine because that should ultimately make him better going forward. But no, we are given more of the same, Ennis and MCW getting the most PT on the team, and young players sitting. Hell even randle got more playing time than hampton
User avatar
Dub_Sax
Rookie
Posts: 1,011
And1: 55
Joined: Jun 22, 2001
Location: Ocoee, FL

Re: 2020-2021 Regular Season Game 47: Orlando Magic (15-31) at Los Angeles Clippers (32-16) 

Post#515 » by Dub_Sax » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:44 am

GelbeWand09 wrote:
Dub_Sax wrote:Maaaan, y'all pro tankers are trippin! The team played hard and won. Would y'all rather them play hard and lose? Or not play hard so they can lose? All these losing seasons since the dwightmare and y'all think the best thing for the team to do is to lose more? C'mooooon maaaan..

Sent from my SM-G955U using RealGM mobile app


I'm pro tank but i enjoy the games so far. If we miss out on a top 4, its on WeHam to keep all those vets. If you like it or not but we have positive character vets here, who care & not the tanking vets we had before, like Ben Gordon & Jeff Green.
Well I'm anti tank and I'm enjoying the games so far. :)
I just believe if you cheat the game, the game will cheat you.. if we try to lose games to get a high draft pick... it ain't gon happen

Sent from my SM-G955U using RealGM mobile app
User avatar
Showbiz Bear
Rookie
Posts: 1,088
And1: 432
Joined: Dec 12, 2011
   

Re: 2020-2021 Regular Season Game 47: Orlando Magic (15-31) at Los Angeles Clippers (32-16) 

Post#516 » by Showbiz Bear » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:45 am

I wanna see us lose but I'll always be happy when we win. Can't help it. But I do hate the starting lineup still. No reason Birch should be starting over WCJ. And Bacon should be coming off the bench with Ross to provide those sweet ass chucks.

Okeke is the real reason I love watching this team now. Definitely wanna see more RJ as well.

Sent from my SM-G981U using RealGM mobile app
Image
pepe1991
RealGM
Posts: 13,894
And1: 11,504
Joined: Jan 10, 2016
   

Re: 2020-2021 Regular Season Game 47: Orlando Magic (15-31) at Los Angeles Clippers (32-16) 

Post#517 » by pepe1991 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:47 am

People really getting worked out about not playing 24# pick from Nuggets ? :rofl:

We drafted Nicholson 22# in past and guy averaged like 14 mpg or DNP for his Magic career.

It's almost guaranteed that Magic will never play or use him if he is not showing some crazy potential. And guy showed nothing in nba so far. For crying out loud, guy was role player in New zealand. Get a grip about reality.

guy looks like he will break a nack every time he attemps anything.
Prediction day after Vuc, Gordon, Evan departure - most fans who are celebrating birth of new rebuild will be crying how rebuild is painful before 2022-23 season ends.
Date of writeup: March 26th, 2021.
User avatar
thelead
RealGM
Posts: 26,918
And1: 14,785
Joined: Apr 08, 2008
 

Re: 2020-2021 Regular Season Game 47: Orlando Magic (15-31) at Los Angeles Clippers (32-16) 

Post#518 » by thelead » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:48 am

Dub_Sax wrote:
ogmagicfan wrote:
Dub_Sax wrote:Maaaan, y'all pro tankers are trippin! The team played hard and won. Would y'all rather them play hard and lose? Or not play hard so they can lose? All these losing seasons since the dwightmare and y'all think the best thing for the team to do is to lose more? C'mooooon maaaan..

Sent from my SM-G955U using RealGM mobile app


Yes I would rather the team shamelessly try to lose and shutdown players like 76ers 2013-2016.

Than win meaningless games at the end of the season like every season including the tanking ones that denied us far better picks/players. I want a better finished product. I want to have a team whose ceiling is higher than the 8th seed in the weak Eastern Conference. We had a 9 year rebuild and peaked at .500!
Cooooorrect! We peaked at. 500 with players who believed it was ok to lose meaningless games and "try" to get a high draft pick.. how'd that work out?? Let's take a different approach this time.. play hard. play to win and let the chips fall where they may..

Sent from my SM-G955U using RealGM mobile app

I’m not mad at this win but is your argument really: Vuc, Evan, and AG would have been able to compete for championships if we just taught them how to play to win from day 1?
Image
User avatar
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
Posts: 10,052
And1: 11,659
Joined: Dec 18, 2010
Location: Orlando, FL
 

Re: 2020-2021 Regular Season Game 47: Orlando Magic (15-31) at Los Angeles Clippers (32-16) 

Post#519 » by Knightro » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:50 am

The Effect wrote:Yes, im upset that a guy who has no future with the team (isnt he a FA at the end of the season?) is in the game in critical situations over young players, especially when hes known as a great defensive pg (again, we all know his offense sucks, thats never been a question, he hasnt made it this long in the NBA because of his offensive skills) and is a vet....vets are clearly much more likely to get you wins in close games than rookies, i dont even know how thats a question

As for hampton, yes i do think he would of made mistakes and would of likely lost us the game but
a) who cares, losing is clearly in our best interest right now
b) even if he struggles, he gets experience and more importantly, experience in crucial situations
So sure even if we lose because of him, thats fine because that should ultimately make him better going forward. But no, we are given more of the same, Ennis and MCW getting the most PT on the team, and young players sitting. Hell even randle got more playing time than hampton


MCW is under contract for next season. He's also been really good from an on/off perspective for the Magic the last three years.

And also this whole argument is kind of silly because Clifford made it abundantly clear that Hampton is a shooting guard and not a point guard, which I agree with. So he's not fighting MCW or Randle for minutes anyway.

Not all experience is necessarily good experience. If a player is put in a position where he's almost certain to fail because he simply doesn't have the skill set to pull off what would be required of him at that spot, is that going to make him better moving forward? Probably not.
The Effect
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
Posts: 3,411
And1: 1,332
Joined: Jul 09, 2004

Re: 2020-2021 Regular Season Game 47: Orlando Magic (15-31) at Los Angeles Clippers (32-16) 

Post#520 » by The Effect » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:51 am

Dub_Sax wrote:
GelbeWand09 wrote:
Dub_Sax wrote:Maaaan, y'all pro tankers are trippin! The team played hard and won. Would y'all rather them play hard and lose? Or not play hard so they can lose? All these losing seasons since the dwightmare and y'all think the best thing for the team to do is to lose more? C'mooooon maaaan..

Sent from my SM-G955U using RealGM mobile app


I'm pro tank but i enjoy the games so far. If we miss out on a top 4, its on WeHam to keep all those vets. If you like it or not but we have positive character vets here, who care & not the tanking vets we had before, like Ben Gordon & Jeff Green.
Well I'm anti tank and I'm enjoying the games so far. :)
I just believe if you cheat the game, the game will cheat you.. if we try to lose games to get a high draft pick... it ain't gon happen

Sent from my SM-G955U using RealGM mobile app


Worked for the 76ers
Worked out real well for the mavs a few years ago while we played hard and won meaningless games at the end..... The got 5th pick, we got 6th.... They got luka we got no bamba

Return to Orlando Magic