ImageImageImageImage

Magic sign G Devin Cannady to a 10-Day Contract

Moderators: Howard Mass, UCF, ChosenSavior, Knightro, SOUL, Def Swami, UCFJayBird

User avatar
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
Posts: 10,052
And1: 11,659
Joined: Dec 18, 2010
Location: Orlando, FL
 

Magic sign G Devin Cannady to a 10-Day Contract 

Post#1 » by Knightro » Tue Apr 6, 2021 3:07 pm

Read on Twitter


G-League Finals MVP.
zaymon
Analyst
Posts: 3,006
And1: 1,653
Joined: Jul 01, 2015
   

Re: Magic sign G Devin Cannady to a 10-Day Contract 

Post#2 » by zaymon » Tue Apr 6, 2021 3:22 pm

I like him but do we need more guards ? Maybe we want to show him some respect. Wouldnt be mad to sign him on a two way next year.
Goodbye Vucevic, welcome lotttery picks !!!
Happysad.
User avatar
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
Posts: 10,052
And1: 11,659
Joined: Dec 18, 2010
Location: Orlando, FL
 

Re: Magic sign G Devin Cannady to a 10-Day Contract 

Post#3 » by Knightro » Tue Apr 6, 2021 3:36 pm

zaymon wrote:I like him but do we need more guards ? Maybe we want to show him some respect. Wouldnt be mad to sign him on a two way next year.


If Randle is too hurt to play and Harris/Anthony aren't quite ready to come back, I can understand it.

It's only a 10 day.
User avatar
drsd
RealGM
Posts: 29,266
And1: 5,078
Joined: Mar 16, 2003
     

Re: Magic sign G Devin Cannady to a 10-Day Contract 

Post#4 » by drsd » Tue Apr 6, 2021 4:38 pm

I guess a 10-day means a G-leauger can be sent to Lakeland, thus filling another roster slot .
User avatar
drsd
RealGM
Posts: 29,266
And1: 5,078
Joined: Mar 16, 2003
     

Re: Magic sign G Devin Cannady to a 10-Day Contract 

Post#5 » by drsd » Tue Apr 6, 2021 4:41 pm

Devin Cannady also has a girlfriend taller than he is; is this three straight G-league call ups where this was the case?
basketballRob
RealGM
Posts: 12,955
And1: 5,375
Joined: May 05, 2014
     

Re: Magic sign G Devin Cannady to a 10-Day Contract 

Post#6 » by basketballRob » Tue Apr 6, 2021 4:50 pm

I like it. We need more bad players.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
User avatar
thelead
RealGM
Posts: 26,918
And1: 14,785
Joined: Apr 08, 2008
 

Re: Magic sign G Devin Cannady to a 10-Day Contract 

Post#7 » by thelead » Tue Apr 6, 2021 5:01 pm

Let's sign a few more and roll with them the rest of the way. I'm tired of this treadmill and would like to get off of it ASAP
Image
basketballRob
RealGM
Posts: 12,955
And1: 5,375
Joined: May 05, 2014
     

Re: Magic sign G Devin Cannady to a 10-Day Contract 

Post#8 » by basketballRob » Tue Apr 6, 2021 5:08 pm

Cannaday can fill in for Ross, so he can rest his ankle for the rest of the season.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
User avatar
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
Posts: 24,690
And1: 13,335
Joined: Aug 04, 2008
Location: Escalator to Somewhere?
Contact:
     

Re: Magic sign G Devin Cannady to a 10-Day Contract 

Post#9 » by Def Swami » Tue Apr 6, 2021 5:40 pm

I think the Magic had to do this. They had to reward the guy with a chance after leading the Lakeland Magic to the G League Championship and winning MVP. I doubt he'll stick, but he earned the opportunity to at least participate in practice and maybe get a few minutes in games.
User avatar
drsd
RealGM
Posts: 29,266
And1: 5,078
Joined: Mar 16, 2003
     

Re: Magic sign G Devin Cannady to a 10-Day Contract 

Post#10 » by drsd » Tue Apr 6, 2021 8:27 pm

Def Swami wrote:I think the Magic had to do this. They had to reward the guy with a chance after leading the Lakeland Magic to the G League Championship and winning MVP. I doubt he'll stick, but he earned the opportunity to at least participate in practice and maybe get a few minutes in games.


A 10-day constrict is worth 10/177 or the league minima salary, which is $50,751.98. As Cannady would have made $35,000 in the G-league*, these 10 days will more than double his annual salary!
(( * = he would have gotten some small bonuses for the G-league playoffs ))


..
User avatar
RookieStar
RealGM
Posts: 10,836
And1: 2,314
Joined: Jul 01, 2009
 

Re: Magic sign G Devin Cannady to a 10-Day Contract 

Post#11 » by RookieStar » Tue Apr 6, 2021 9:31 pm

So he is a Randle replacement?
ogmagicfan
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,270
And1: 642
Joined: Mar 30, 2014
     

Re: Magic sign G Devin Cannady to a 10-Day Contract 

Post#12 » by ogmagicfan » Wed Apr 7, 2021 12:28 am

drsd wrote:
Def Swami wrote:I think the Magic had to do this. They had to reward the guy with a chance after leading the Lakeland Magic to the G League Championship and winning MVP. I doubt he'll stick, but he earned the opportunity to at least participate in practice and maybe get a few minutes in games.


A 10-day constrict is worth 10/177 or the league minima salary, which is $50,751.98. As Cannady would have made $35,000 in the G-league*, these 10 days will more than double his annual salary!
(( * = he would have gotten some small bonuses for the G-league playoffs ))


..


Well deserved, happy for him. Should show more love to some of the G-Leaguers on Lakeland for winning the chip and showcase them for ourselves & other teams.
User avatar
drsd
RealGM
Posts: 29,266
And1: 5,078
Joined: Mar 16, 2003
     

Re: Magic sign G Devin Cannady to a 10-Day Contract 

Post#13 » by drsd » Wed Apr 7, 2021 9:16 am

RookieStar wrote:So he is a Randle replacement?


Two-way players do not need to be active. So Randle does not per se need to be waived.

We will see how Cannady performs over the next two weeks. Recall that Anthony will soon return and Orlando will not carry 4 PGs rotationally.
User avatar
RookieStar
RealGM
Posts: 10,836
And1: 2,314
Joined: Jul 01, 2009
 

Re: Magic sign G Devin Cannady to a 10-Day Contract 

Post#14 » by RookieStar » Wed Apr 7, 2021 9:56 am

drsd wrote:
RookieStar wrote:So he is a Randle replacement?


Two-way players do not need to be active. So Randle does not per se need to be waived.

We will see how Cannady performs over the next two weeks. Recall that Anthony will soon return and Orlando will not carry 4 PGs rotationally.


I thought Cole would play against the Wiz? Wasnt it said that he will be back after the road trip?
User avatar
drsd
RealGM
Posts: 29,266
And1: 5,078
Joined: Mar 16, 2003
     

Re: Magic sign G Devin Cannady to a 10-Day Contract 

Post#15 » by drsd » Wed Apr 7, 2021 11:05 am

RookieStar wrote:I thought Cole would play against the Wiz? Wasnt it said that he will be back after the road trip?


He is upgraded to "Questionable", which is a 50/50 kind of thing.

Apparently how he feels in practice will dictate if he plays, and if he plays, he will start.

But is Cannady ready as well? I would think he needs to learn the system and is for now simply a practice-squad player.


..
User avatar
Xatticus
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,720
And1: 5,296
Joined: Feb 18, 2016
Location: the land of the blind
         

Re: Magic sign G Devin Cannady to a 10-Day Contract 

Post#16 » by Xatticus » Wed Apr 7, 2021 5:27 pm

drsd wrote:
RookieStar wrote:I thought Cole would play against the Wiz? Wasnt it said that he will be back after the road trip?


He is upgraded to "Questionable", which is a 50/50 kind of thing.

Apparently how he feels in practice will dictate if he plays, and if he plays, he will start.

But is Cannady ready as well? I would think he needs to learn the system and is for now simply a practice-squad player.


..


I don't know that learning the system is a requisite for driving a tank.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991

Return to Orlando Magic