ImageImageImageImage

Magic to Waive C Khem Birch

Moderators: Howard Mass, UCF, ChosenSavior, Knightro, SOUL, Def Swami, UCFJayBird

basketballRob
RealGM
Posts: 12,796
And1: 5,333
Joined: May 05, 2014
     

Re: Magic to Waive C Khem Birch 

Post#61 » by basketballRob » Thu Apr 8, 2021 6:22 pm

The Effect wrote:
MasterGMer wrote:I know it is a semi good move. But it still puzzles me. We spent so much time on Birch and let him develop and we lost him for nothing. Darn man.

I mean Evan, a much better player, got us 2 2nd rounders many years away.....so what was Birch gonna net us, a 2030 2nd rounder? no biggie to me

Hopefully he helps the raptors stay better than us
Hopefully Birch plays tonight against the Bulls. It probably doesn't matter since OG and VanVleet have been suspended for 1 game.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
jonbob17
Senior
Posts: 719
And1: 399
Joined: Jul 01, 2020

Re: Magic to Waive C Khem Birch 

Post#62 » by jonbob17 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 6:25 pm

Excellent decision for both the team and the player. This FO is really growing on me.
Skin
RealGM
Posts: 16,118
And1: 7,654
Joined: Jul 03, 2009
   

Re: Magic to Waive C Khem Birch 

Post#63 » by Skin » Thu Apr 8, 2021 6:30 pm

GREAT JOB WEHAM!!! Keep up the good work!

Appreciated Birch for being an unselfish hard nosed player.
Markelle Fultz, Jalen Green, Chuma Okeke, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr.
Cole Anthony, RJ Hampton, Corey Kispert, Mo Bamba. LET'S GO!
User avatar
MagicFan101
RealGM
Posts: 10,084
And1: 5,788
Joined: Jul 04, 2012
 

Re: Magic to Waive C Khem Birch 

Post#64 » by MagicFan101 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 6:36 pm

Skin wrote:GREAT JOB WEHAM!!! Keep up the good work!

Appreciated Birch for being an unselfish hard nosed player.


Agreed.

I hope my outpouring of excitement isn’t taken as a negative towards Birch directly. He did his job here and played the role of the good soldier in a tough situation. I thank him for being a great professional and all his hard work.

He’s going home to Canada and will have a chance to play in a better environment. He has earned that.

Still, this team NEEDS to invest time into our youth. It makes absolutely no sense at all to give minutes to guys like Birch when we have WCJ and Bamba or MCW when we have Cole and Hampton (and soon Harris). It’s insane.
User avatar
Xatticus
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,702
And1: 5,265
Joined: Feb 18, 2016
Location: the land of the blind
         

Re: Magic to Waive C Khem Birch 

Post#65 » by Xatticus » Thu Apr 8, 2021 6:47 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
Def Swami wrote:Feels like a wasted asset. All that time invested in developing Birch gone for nothing. We sacrificed all those developmental minutes for Bamba to play and start Birch.

Birch is on one of the few guys the front office found off the scrap heaps and developed into a rotation NBA player. I always liked Khem Birch the person and player. Feels weird that they're just ditching one of their "wins" as a front office.

Should have traded him at the deadline.

I'm of 2 minds. They found him for nothing...but did he really develop? seems like the same player now as he was when we first got him. Im guessing the front office wasnt sure what they were getting with WCJ and with the way he has been playing, they are now all-in on a combo of WCJ/Bamba rotation.

and takes out the temptation for Clifford to give development minutes to Birch


It's just royal rumble between them for exstension pass 2022.
There is no point of keeping both of them ,at least not on long term contracts after next year . Pick one, trade other. Paying both is overkill, non of them is really upper tear level of big to be worth cashing in some crazy money.

Not really hard to figure who is front runner to be a keeper for longer time.


I disagree. Neither is going to net you substantial value and neither has proven themselves capable of giving you 2000 minutes worth of production in a season. There are plenty of minutes for both as long as we don't do something stupid like signing another 6'8" center from Europe that Clifford develops a fetish for. I don't think either is going to command a high salary when they hit restricted free agency. There is no sense picking between them until you are forced to do so and both have plenty of development time in front of them before they will be finished products. If they get too expensive when they hit free agency, then you make a decision at that point, but there is no reason why we can't develop both for the time being.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
ogmagicfan
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,264
And1: 642
Joined: Mar 30, 2014
     

Re: Magic to Waive C Khem Birch 

Post#66 » by ogmagicfan » Thu Apr 8, 2021 6:56 pm

Wish Khem the best. Shame we had to wait 3 years for Bamba to get some consistent PT however
User avatar
penny_nz
Pro Prospect
Posts: 842
And1: 532
Joined: Jul 17, 2018
     

Re: Magic to Waive C Khem Birch 

Post#67 » by penny_nz » Thu Apr 8, 2021 7:16 pm

Both excited that WeHam made the move, and sad to be losing Birch from the team. He played with heart and 115% effort every game, but this is the right move to ensure minutes for others
I still believe in Magic!
Okeke / Isaac / WCJ front court for the future.
Ping pong ball god's, please give us Cade!
Skin
RealGM
Posts: 16,118
And1: 7,654
Joined: Jul 03, 2009
   

Re: Magic to Waive C Khem Birch 

Post#68 » by Skin » Thu Apr 8, 2021 8:08 pm

Xatticus wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:I'm of 2 minds. They found him for nothing...but did he really develop? seems like the same player now as he was when we first got him. Im guessing the front office wasnt sure what they were getting with WCJ and with the way he has been playing, they are now all-in on a combo of WCJ/Bamba rotation.

and takes out the temptation for Clifford to give development minutes to Birch


It's just royal rumble between them for exstension pass 2022.
There is no point of keeping both of them ,at least not on long term contracts after next year . Pick one, trade other. Paying both is overkill, non of them is really upper tear level of big to be worth cashing in some crazy money.

Not really hard to figure who is front runner to be a keeper for longer time.


I disagree. Neither is going to net you substantial value and neither has proven themselves capable of giving you 2000 minutes worth of production in a season. There are plenty of minutes for both as long as we don't do something stupid like signing another 6'8" center from Europe that Clifford develops a fetish for. I don't think either is going to command a high salary when they hit restricted free agency. There is no sense picking between them until you are forced to do so and both have plenty of development time in front of them before they will be finished products. If they get too expensive when they hit free agency, then you make a decision at that point, but there is no reason why we can't develop both for the time being.

How am I not surprised that pepe sees the bad in this? Especially with Bamba coming off a nice game?

You're right. There is enough playing time for them both and the balance right now is excellent. If this is the floor, then we should rightfully feel great about our Center position going forward.

Their contracts will work themselves out. Having them both compete is great because they will split minutes and by doing so, "split stats" and that will drive their price tags down because the alternative of one guy being a 35 mpg guy and one guy being a 10 mpg would result in one guy getting a FAT ole contract, and that's what we need to avoid.

I do think WCj will be the starter and get a better deal, but Bamba is finally getting a chance to play without any roadblocks except for himself. Pretty sure pepe is upset mostly because Bamba wasn't supposed to have nights like last night... and if he has more of that, then Bamba will be another player that makes pepe look bad.
Markelle Fultz, Jalen Green, Chuma Okeke, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr.
Cole Anthony, RJ Hampton, Corey Kispert, Mo Bamba. LET'S GO!
Skin
RealGM
Posts: 16,118
And1: 7,654
Joined: Jul 03, 2009
   

Re: Magic to Waive C Khem Birch 

Post#69 » by Skin » Thu Apr 8, 2021 8:10 pm

ogmagicfan wrote:Wish Khem the best. Shame we had to wait 3 years for Bamba to get some consistent PT however

Yeah, I wonder if the Bamba haters will still be out in strong force now. :lol:
Markelle Fultz, Jalen Green, Chuma Okeke, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr.
Cole Anthony, RJ Hampton, Corey Kispert, Mo Bamba. LET'S GO!
User avatar
RookieStar
RealGM
Posts: 10,721
And1: 2,277
Joined: Jul 01, 2009
 

Re: Magic to Waive C Khem Birch 

Post#70 » by RookieStar » Thu Apr 8, 2021 8:18 pm

Im just scared with only WCJ/Mo left we might make a push for Mobley if we get a top5 pick lol
pepe1991
RealGM
Posts: 13,852
And1: 11,449
Joined: Jan 10, 2016
   

Re: Magic to Waive C Khem Birch 

Post#71 » by pepe1991 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 10:12 pm

Skin wrote:
Xatticus wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
It's just royal rumble between them for exstension pass 2022.
There is no point of keeping both of them ,at least not on long term contracts after next year . Pick one, trade other. Paying both is overkill, non of them is really upper tear level of big to be worth cashing in some crazy money.

Not really hard to figure who is front runner to be a keeper for longer time.


I disagree. Neither is going to net you substantial value and neither has proven themselves capable of giving you 2000 minutes worth of production in a season. There are plenty of minutes for both as long as we don't do something stupid like signing another 6'8" center from Europe that Clifford develops a fetish for. I don't think either is going to command a high salary when they hit restricted free agency. There is no sense picking between them until you are forced to do so and both have plenty of development time in front of them before they will be finished products. If they get too expensive when they hit free agency, then you make a decision at that point, but there is no reason why we can't develop both for the time being.

How am I not surprised that pepe sees the bad in this? Especially with Bamba coming off a nice game?

You're right. There is enough playing time for them both and the balance right now is excellent. If this is the floor, then we should rightfully feel great about our Center position going forward.

Their contracts will work themselves out. Having them both compete is great because they will split minutes and by doing so, "split stats" and that will drive their price tags down because the alternative of one guy being a 35 mpg guy and one guy being a 10 mpg would result in one guy getting a FAT ole contract, and that's what we need to avoid.

I do think WCj will be the starter and get a better deal, but Bamba is finally getting a chance to play without any roadblocks except for himself. Pretty sure pepe is upset mostly because Bamba wasn't supposed to have nights like last night... and if he has more of that, then Bamba will be another player that makes pepe look bad.


They are RFA next year. Both are.

Bamba's roadblocks are always same: BBIQ and talent. But if you give monkey unlimited time and pen, over time he might write Hamlet.

Bamba will be another player that makes pepe look bad

At least i'm not homer who is faming over teenagers than proclaim them "bad" after they are removed from my team like most people here do.
Bamba has been trash and still is trash. NBA is league where 19 years old Pokuševski just scored 26 pounds, standing at 7 feet and 180 pounds. Same league where undrafted 5'11 guard TJ McConnell had 19 poins and 15 assist last night.

But to have sense of how nba works, and how often nba nobodies have big nights it would require paying attention to other nba teams. But most of people here just live in their little orlando bubble and can't see anything away from it. Every player that puts string of 4 good games is new future allstar , every player that has 5 double doubles in a season is "cornerstone" to them.

When in reality random dudes like Grayson Allen score 30 a night like it's nothing. If Orlando has somebody like Kevin Porter Jr. half of the board would proclaim him better than Tracy and future Kobe Bryant... And i'm sure most Houston over a top fans do. But for rest of a league its- empty stats on tanking team = cool,but doesn't matter.

Btw who is "other" guy who made me look bad ? Okeke? After victory lap of 4 games sample size, Chuma is averaging 12 points on 12 shots and 13% for 3 in other 4 games. Be good and don't bark too soon, it slapped you in face too many times to count.
Prediction day after Vuc, Gordon, Evan departure - most fans who are celebrating birth of new rebuild will be crying how rebuild is painful before 2022-23 season ends.
Date of writeup: March 26th, 2021.
User avatar
Ducklett
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,225
And1: 2,726
Joined: Jul 17, 2012
 

Re: Magic to Waive C Khem Birch 

Post#72 » by Ducklett » Thu Apr 8, 2021 10:21 pm

I see a lot of people say it was asset mismanagement. While we think of Birch as an okay player, he is an expiring and the Magic didn't want to take money back. Evan only got bad 2nds and many of you thought him an all-star player. Birch was never going to get an asset because guys like him are a dime a dozen.
pepe1991
RealGM
Posts: 13,852
And1: 11,449
Joined: Jan 10, 2016
   

Re: Magic to Waive C Khem Birch 

Post#73 » by pepe1991 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 10:25 pm

Xatticus wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:I'm of 2 minds. They found him for nothing...but did he really develop? seems like the same player now as he was when we first got him. Im guessing the front office wasnt sure what they were getting with WCJ and with the way he has been playing, they are now all-in on a combo of WCJ/Bamba rotation.

and takes out the temptation for Clifford to give development minutes to Birch


It's just royal rumble between them for exstension pass 2022.
There is no point of keeping both of them ,at least not on long term contracts after next year . Pick one, trade other. Paying both is overkill, non of them is really upper tear level of big to be worth cashing in some crazy money.

Not really hard to figure who is front runner to be a keeper for longer time.


I disagree. Neither is going to net you substantial value and neither has proven themselves capable of giving you 2000 minutes worth of production in a season. There are plenty of minutes for both as long as we don't do something stupid like signing another 6'8" center from Europe that Clifford develops a fetish for. I don't think either is going to command a high salary when they hit restricted free agency. There is no sense picking between them until you are forced to do so and both have plenty of development time in front of them before they will be finished products. If they get too expensive when they hit free agency, then you make a decision at that point, but there is no reason why we can't develop both for the time being.


Almost all nba rookie scale contracts, after finishing 3rd year are getting exstensions, if they are any good. And both Wendell and Bamba are finishing their 3rd years.
And if you are not willing to do so, fine, but, both are restricted free agents in year after.
So, at apsolute most, you have one calendar year ( if next year has normal starting point, and it looks it should) to decide who to keep.

As far as them being cheap, Fultz proved nothing in his career, and got 3 years contract with base salary of $16,5M. Isaac has been injury prone and never plays and got $18M base salary. And if you view Wendell as tear below, it's still 10-14M range of money. Add Bamba and whatever you think he is worth for backup, and you will end up paying 2 centers combine salary of 20M.
I really see no reason why commit that money nor keep them both.

Or they could draft Mobley... God no..just not another waste of a pick on a center.
Prediction day after Vuc, Gordon, Evan departure - most fans who are celebrating birth of new rebuild will be crying how rebuild is painful before 2022-23 season ends.
Date of writeup: March 26th, 2021.
basketballRob
RealGM
Posts: 12,796
And1: 5,333
Joined: May 05, 2014
     

Re: Magic to Waive C Khem Birch 

Post#74 » by basketballRob » Thu Apr 8, 2021 10:35 pm

I think Mo gets packaged this offseason or next for a star. Likely the offseason Mo is a free agent, so we can sign and trade. Plus we'll have more cap room. Kind of like when we packaged Ben Wallace for Grant Hill, and opted to keep Bo Outlaw.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
User avatar
RookieStar
RealGM
Posts: 10,721
And1: 2,277
Joined: Jul 01, 2009
 

Re: Magic to Waive C Khem Birch 

Post#75 » by RookieStar » Thu Apr 8, 2021 10:51 pm

basketballRob wrote:I think Mo gets packaged this offseason or next for a star. Likely the offseason Mo is a free agent, so we can sign and trade. Plus we'll have more cap room. Kind of like when we packaged Ben Wallace for Grant Hill, and opted to keep Bo Outlaw.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app


If we do that.. wow we are thin. I mean from a team that boasted the "longbois" of the NBA to only one 7-footer in JI. The next is a 6'10 C and then a 6'7ish PF lol
Skin
RealGM
Posts: 16,118
And1: 7,654
Joined: Jul 03, 2009
   

Re: Magic to Waive C Khem Birch 

Post#76 » by Skin » Thu Apr 8, 2021 11:11 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
Skin wrote:
Xatticus wrote:
I disagree. Neither is going to net you substantial value and neither has proven themselves capable of giving you 2000 minutes worth of production in a season. There are plenty of minutes for both as long as we don't do something stupid like signing another 6'8" center from Europe that Clifford develops a fetish for. I don't think either is going to command a high salary when they hit restricted free agency. There is no sense picking between them until you are forced to do so and both have plenty of development time in front of them before they will be finished products. If they get too expensive when they hit free agency, then you make a decision at that point, but there is no reason why we can't develop both for the time being.

How am I not surprised that pepe sees the bad in this? Especially with Bamba coming off a nice game?

You're right. There is enough playing time for them both and the balance right now is excellent. If this is the floor, then we should rightfully feel great about our Center position going forward.

Their contracts will work themselves out. Having them both compete is great because they will split minutes and by doing so, "split stats" and that will drive their price tags down because the alternative of one guy being a 35 mpg guy and one guy being a 10 mpg would result in one guy getting a FAT ole contract, and that's what we need to avoid.

I do think WCj will be the starter and get a better deal, but Bamba is finally getting a chance to play without any roadblocks except for himself. Pretty sure pepe is upset mostly because Bamba wasn't supposed to have nights like last night... and if he has more of that, then Bamba will be another player that makes pepe look bad.


They are RFA next year. Both are.

Bamba's roadblocks are always same: BBIQ and talent. But if you give monkey unlimited time and pen, over time he might write Hamlet.

Bamba will be another player that makes pepe look bad

At least i'm not homer who is faming over teenagers than proclaim them "bad" after they are removed from my team like most people here do.
Bamba has been trash and still is trash. NBA is league where 19 years old Pokuševski just scored 26 pounds, standing at 7 feet and 180 pounds. Same league where undrafted 5'11 guard TJ McConnell had 19 poins and 15 assist last night.

But to have sense of how nba works, and how often nba nobodies have big nights it would require paying attention to other nba teams. But most of people here just live in their little orlando bubble and can't see anything away from it. Every player that puts string of 4 good games is new future allstar , every player that has 5 double doubles in a season is "cornerstone" to them.

When in reality random dudes like Grayson Allen score 30 a night like it's nothing. If Orlando has somebody like Kevin Porter Jr. half of the board would proclaim him better than Tracy and future Kobe Bryant... And i'm sure most Houston over a top fans do. But for rest of a league its- empty stats on tanking team = cool,but doesn't matter.

Btw who is "other" guy who made me look bad ? Okeke? After victory lap of 4 games sample size, Chuma is averaging 12 points on 12 shots and 13% for 3 in other 4 games. Be good and don't bark too soon, it slapped you in face too many times to count.

Keep talking. You slap yourself in the face every time you do.

I gotta give you credit though, the one prospect you put all your heart in was Hezonja and he F'd you up badly, so I get why you have no balls to get behind anyone young that isn't a star out-of-the-box.

You hate everyone on this team. When are you just gonna leave?
Markelle Fultz, Jalen Green, Chuma Okeke, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr.
Cole Anthony, RJ Hampton, Corey Kispert, Mo Bamba. LET'S GO!
yoyojw17
Analyst
Posts: 3,668
And1: 2,444
Joined: Dec 26, 2011
Location: Gainesville,FL
 

Re: Magic to Waive C Khem Birch 

Post#77 » by yoyojw17 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 11:47 pm

If bamba and WCJ show markable improved... I'd be happy if we could resign both of them for a total of $28 million/year. Would be a great 1-2 combination of bigs!
nymets1
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,923
And1: 1,118
Joined: Apr 18, 2004
Location: Florida
     

Re: Magic to Waive C Khem Birch 

Post#78 » by nymets1 » Fri Apr 9, 2021 12:34 am

I'm glad they waived him because it feels like the Magic were forced to give him playing time if he's healthy and on the radar. Bamba and Carter have more upside than Khem, so we probably have to get rid of him to give both Bamba and Carter 30+ minutes per game.
"Bodysurfing and always drive with the windows down"

"UCF 2017 only undefeated national champions"
User avatar
RookieStar
RealGM
Posts: 10,721
And1: 2,277
Joined: Jul 01, 2009
 

Re: Magic to Waive C Khem Birch 

Post#79 » by RookieStar » Fri Apr 9, 2021 1:03 am

probably wcj dream come true where we are forced to play him as a pf
User avatar
Showbiz Bear
Rookie
Posts: 1,088
And1: 432
Joined: Dec 12, 2011
   

Re: Magic to Waive C Khem Birch 

Post#80 » by Showbiz Bear » Fri Apr 9, 2021 2:59 am

Best news I've read all day. Wish him the best but I'm so glad he's gone now. And we wouldn't have gotten anything of any value for him. I'm fine with waiving him

Sent from my SM-G981U using RealGM mobile app
Image

Return to Orlando Magic