ImageImageImageImage

Official 2021 NBA Draft Thread Part 2

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,112

Re: Official 2021 NBA Draft Thread Part 2 

Post#101 » by tiderulz » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:25 pm

RookieStar wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
RookieStar wrote:
Oh dont get me wrong, I def like Kispert as a player as well. Im just saying its a wash between him and Wagner in their position both in the game and in the draft. Kisperts maturity and shooting is balanced by Wagners potential and skill.

So im not gonna be mad if our FO would use a coin flip to choose betweent the 2.

Again my opinion will change after the intwrview/workout and combine though.

i just cant see them as a wash right now. Kispert is an elite 3 pt shooter. also not a lock down defender but the effort is there and he fills up the box score, rebounds, assists, steals, etc. Franz looks to fill out the box score too, but not a good 3 pt shooter yet.

Volume shooting I think has Kispert in the lead but WAgner has youth and higher ceiling ( plus "supposedly" better athelticism ) on him.

more than volume, Kispert shot 44% from 3 the past 2 years. Wagner, who is 2 years younger and can always improve, shot 31% his first year and 34% this past year. Kispert is elite in something, Wagner is not. and Wagner's athleticism is dinged against him by some
Weaknesses: Wagner may struggle to create his own shot in the NBA due to his lack of explosiveness getting to the hoop and lack of great foot speed to gain separation … Was an excellent finisher in college, but with much better athletes in the NBA, he may have difficulty matching that success rate

i just have Kispert a little ahead of Wagner
The Effect
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 2,053

Post#102 » by The Effect » Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:02 pm

i hope our decision with the bulls pick isnt actually between Kispert and Wagner

I mean i like kispert, but i dont have either of those guys as top 10 picks
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,454

Post#103 » by Bensational » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:02 am

As a prospect, Giddy seems like a cross between Poku and LaMelo, but with on-ball skills closer to the Poku end of the scale. They've both shown to be very worthwhile investments.

I like Giddy as a glue-guy for a team with his passing and playmaking at his size. I have high confidence in him developing a respectable if not good 3pt shot. With that he can be a Turkoglu/Ingles/Middleton kind of impact guy. I think he's got a high chance to keep developing and building upon his already strong on-ball skills for his height.

He'd fit great along a pure scorer like Green. I wonder how he'd fit with Cade, or Suggs? Or Keon Johnson, or Ziaire Williams?
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#104 » by Bensational » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:05 am

The Effect wrote:i hope our decision with the bulls pick isnt actually between Kispert and Wagner

I mean i like kispert, but i dont have either of those guys as top 10 picks

Kispert looks like a waste of a pick that high. I have him in the Doug McDermott kind of impact level, but guys like Joe Harris, Duncan Robinson, Trent Jr are proving you can acquire those guys with much less valuable assets like 2nd round picks or MLE contracts.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,833

Post#105 » by RookieStar » Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:06 am

tiderulz wrote:
RookieStar wrote:
tiderulz wrote:i just cant see them as a wash right now. Kispert is an elite 3 pt shooter. also not a lock down defender but the effort is there and he fills up the box score, rebounds, assists, steals, etc. Franz looks to fill out the box score too, but not a good 3 pt shooter yet.

Volume shooting I think has Kispert in the lead but WAgner has youth and higher ceiling ( plus "supposedly" better athelticism ) on him.

more than volume, Kispert shot 44% from 3 the past 2 years. Wagner, who is 2 years younger and can always improve, shot 31% his first year and 34% this past year. Kispert is elite in something, Wagner is not. and Wagner's athleticism is dinged against him by some
Weaknesses: Wagner may struggle to create his own shot in the NBA due to his lack of explosiveness getting to the hoop and lack of great foot speed to gain separation … Was an excellent finisher in college, but with much better athletes in the NBA, he may have difficulty matching that success rate

i just have Kispert a little ahead of Wagner

Fair enough and I agree. Player for player right now Kispert is a little bit ahead of Wagner. Then I thought to myself when those 2 will play ( probably December ) and remembered that Wagner is 3 years younger than Kispert and IMO has a higher ceiling... with Summer of NBA training/camp... both balances out.
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,960

Post#106 » by Xatticus » Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:41 am

Bensational wrote:As a prospect, Giddy seems like a cross between Poku and LaMelo, but with on-ball skills closer to the Poku end of the scale. They've both shown to be very worthwhile investments.

I like Giddy as a glue-guy for a team with his passing and playmaking at his size. I have high confidence in him developing a respectable if not good 3pt shot. With that he can be a Turkoglu/Ingles/Middleton kind of impact guy. I think he's got a high chance to keep developing and building upon his already strong on-ball skills for his height.

He'd fit great along a pure scorer like Green. I wonder how he'd fit with Cade, or Suggs? Or Keon Johnson, or Ziaire Williams?

The biggest selling point for Giddey to me is his age and development in the NBL. When someone that young is figuring out how to contribute and get better in a league of that caliber, they have something going for them. It's the same reason I like Sengun.

Giddey's resume is far more impressive than was Hampton's. Adelaide isn't good, but they are competitive. It's really easy to pick Giddey apart. He isn't a good athlete. He's not hopeless, but he isn't good. The shot isn't good, but I think you can work with it and I'd bet it will be alright in the long run. He isn't really a scorer. All of that said though, I think he is going to be just fine.

I don't know that I would have him in consideration for our picks though unless we move down some. I'd feel much more comfortable picking him in the middle of the first round than in the middle of the lottery.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#107 » by Bensational » Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:34 am

Xatticus wrote:I don't know that I would have him in consideration for our picks though unless we move down some. I'd feel much more comfortable picking him in the middle of the first round than in the middle of the lottery.

Yeah, I’d be happy with him from 10 onwards in terms of perceived value on the board. But if that. Bull’s pick ends up 6-8 like it currently is I’d be looking at Keon or Ziaire at this point. Or if Giddey is ‘the guy’ we want, trade down for him and pick up some future picks along the way.

So many unknown variables right now. It’s exciting not knowing the direction we’re going to be heading in.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,298

Post#108 » by pepe1991 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:10 am

zaymon wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:i'll hold my reservations over players that come from Australia and New Zealand, Lamelo was projected lottery pick when he was 14 years old kid .His father's attemp to create basketball league and pulling him away from college just made it that much hared for him to play anywhere.

I'm looking at this Giddey guy, and he does not have single nba ready skill.
Evan in his highlights you have dunk where he fails to hang on rim and falls -face first at the floor, than you have clear double dribble "spin" , looks like he has no speed at all, guy shoots 30,8% for 3 , so no jumpshot to tlak about today.
I remember Dante Exum hype despite videos showing him taking 15 years old girls off the dribble and him dribbling against chair.

Poor man Dario Saric imo.

This draft turns into such a sh*t fest after top 5 that it's hilarious.

Exum was all tools while Giddey is all skill. He has a long way to go athletically but thats a huge room for improvement also. Saric is not half of the passer Giddey is. We need some passers on our team. I am done watching Ross and Hampton really.

Saric was excellent passer in europe and played Euroleague, this kid plays below G league level competition and other than passing there is no saving grace about his game right now.
And standing at 6'8 without much athletic burst, he won't be running point guard in nba - ever.
Don't draft player who's only skill can't implement. No jumpshot Joe Ingles won't lead you anywhere.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,930

Post#109 » by drsd » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:22 am

Bensational wrote:Kispert looks like a waste of a pick that high. I have him in the Doug McDermott kind of impact level, but guys like Joe Harris, Duncan Robinson, Trent Jr are proving you can acquire those guys with much less valuable assets like 2nd round picks or MLE contracts.

And this is why I like Kispert. A super efficient bench player would be a nice pick in the 9 range.

Yes if this pick goes 7 there is a chance Orlando is drafting a future starter (and thus this pick is not Kispert or Wagner).

My dream is that Moody is available with the Bulls pick. If he is not, the Orlando probably ends up with Kuminga, Barnes, or Johnson. I am super excited about none of those three. Please let it be Moody!

zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,160

Post#110 » by zaymon » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:28 am

pepe1991 wrote:
zaymon wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:i'll hold my reservations over players that come from Australia and New Zealand, Lamelo was projected lottery pick when he was 14 years old kid .His father's attemp to create basketball league and pulling him away from college just made it that much hared for him to play anywhere.

I'm looking at this Giddey guy, and he does not have single nba ready skill.
Evan in his highlights you have dunk where he fails to hang on rim and falls -face first at the floor, than you have clear double dribble "spin" , looks like he has no speed at all, guy shoots 30,8% for 3 , so no jumpshot to tlak about today.
I remember Dante Exum hype despite videos showing him taking 15 years old girls off the dribble and him dribbling against chair.

Poor man Dario Saric imo.

This draft turns into such a sh*t fest after top 5 that it's hilarious.

Exum was all tools while Giddey is all skill. He has a long way to go athletically but thats a huge room for improvement also. Saric is not half of the passer Giddey is. We need some passers on our team. I am done watching Ross and Hampton really.

Saric was excellent passer in europe and played Euroleague, this kid plays below G league level competition and other than passing there is no saving grace about his game right now.
And standing at 6'8 without much athletic burst, he won't be running point guard in nba - ever.
Don't draft player who's only skill can't implement. No jumpshot Joe Ingles won't lead you anywhere.

Ingles at 23 y.o shot 23% from 3, Giddey is 18. Yes he is not a finished product and can fail but when you watch his tape, he takes a lot of difficult 3s off the dribble. I think passing is a skill you can implement even if you are not a lead ball handler. Yes you need shooting to unlock it, but Giddey has some soft touch.
Player who cant implement half of his skills right now is Hampton. Some creation skills he should never use right now.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,930

Post#111 » by drsd » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:35 am

Knightro wrote:I think there are a lot of teams who will pick Mobley 2nd if they end up there.

Don't expect the Magic to be one of them, but I think there's a strong chance the Magic could still get one of the guys they really want even if they end up 4th.

If Orlando drafts 2, there is a strong narrative that Orlando drafts Mobley and then trades down for Green (or Suggs).

For example, if the Cavs draft three, with Garland, Sexton, and Okoro as their foundation, I could see Cleveland getting behind a trade swap and adding a 2023 FRP to make it so.

Orlando gets the guard it needs and an additional asset for doing so.

Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,362

Post#112 » by Knightro » Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:40 pm

drsd wrote:If Orlando drafts 2, there is a strong narrative that Orlando drafts Mobley and then trades down for Green (or Suggs).

For example, if the Cavs draft three, with Garland, Sexton, and Okoro as their foundation, I could see Cleveland getting behind a trade swap and adding a 2023 FRP to make it so.

Orlando gets the guard it needs and an additional asset for doing so.

If another team is willing to do this, then sure. It's an easy call for the Magic.

Not sure how willing anyone would be, but if the Magic end up with the 2nd pick, they should at least explore what the team slotted 3 and 4 are interested in doing.

If there's no workable deal, then you just pick the guy you want at 2. If there is, then hey I'm all for getting additional assets.
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,239

Post#113 » by Blue_and_Whte » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:04 pm

I worry about kisperts age aligning with out timeline but he’d be solid pick at 10.
And Giddey....I just worry about the comp he played with and against.
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#114 » by tiderulz » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:33 pm

Blue_and_Whte wrote:I worry about kisperts age aligning with out timeline but he’d be solid pick at 10.

Kispert is 22. what is wrong with his age and our timeline?
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,362

Post#115 » by Knightro » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:08 pm

Read on Twitter
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,960

Post#116 » by Xatticus » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:30 pm

tiderulz wrote:
Blue_and_Whte wrote:I worry about kisperts age aligning with out timeline but he’d be solid pick at 10.

I'm not even considering Kispert with our picks. I don't see it. Pick up a late first and snag Duarte instead. Kispert might be Joe Harris. He might be Luke Kennard. How valuable are these guys? Due to his size, I don't think he will flame out as so many other one-dimensional players do, but I think he will always be a liability at the defensive end and I don't think his shooting makes up for his deficiencies. He isn't a dynamic offensive player. He isn't a creator. He is just a shooter. He did what you expect a 22 year old to do against younger opponents.

He'll probably get into an NBA rotation earlier than a lot of other guys in his draft and so he will be proclaimed a success, but I just don't see much upside here. I'd be very interested in him if I were running the Lakers or 76ers, but he doesn't make sense for us. We have the playing time available to develop talent and build value. We don't have to draft someone that can slot in and fill an immediate need.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#117 » by tiderulz » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:34 am

Xatticus wrote:
tiderulz wrote:

I'm not even considering Kispert with our picks. I don't see it. Pick up a late first and snag Duarte instead. Kispert might be Joe Harris. He might be Luke Kennard. How valuable are these guys? Due to his size, I don't think he will flame out as so many other one-dimensional players do, but I think he will always be a liability at the defensive end and I don't think his shooting makes up for his deficiencies. He isn't a dynamic offensive player. He isn't a creator. He is just a shooter. He did what you expect a 22 year old to do against younger opponents.

He'll probably get into an NBA rotation earlier than a lot of other guys in his draft and so he will be proclaimed a success, but I just don't see much upside here. I'd be very interested in him if I were running the Lakers or 76ers, but he doesn't make sense for us. We have the playing time available to develop talent and build value. We don't have to draft someone that can slot in and fill an immediate need.

a lot of 22 yr olds dont do what he did with his shooting. and i think he can defend better than people will give him credit for. at least enough to not be a liability. but he specifically called out Kispert, his age and timeline. i was just wondering why
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#118 » by RookieStar » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:39 am

Xatticus wrote:
tiderulz wrote:

Just curious, despite JJ being only 6'4 with average/short wingspan, he became a good quality NBA player. He worked on his D when he was with us.

Why couldnt Kispert do the same? Like grind and work on his D like JJ? He probably has better tools already cuz he is taller than JJ for his spot.
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#119 » by RookieStar » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:47 am

tiderulz wrote:

Yeah... a mature 22 yr old rookie fits perfectly in our timeline. He already knows how to position amd shoot. His rookie year wherr he will be 22-23 coincides with an experienced 22/23 yr old Chuma Mo and WCJ. Sprinkled with mid-20s Fultz and JI and mentored by near-30 harris and ross...

Next season we will probably fight gor a play-in or just anywhere from 7-10th spot. 2 years we are ready for the 5th-6th spot. they will all be mid-20s then except for Cole RJ and Cade lol
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#120 » by Bensational » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:18 am

RookieStar wrote:
Xatticus wrote:
tiderulz wrote:Kispert is 22. what is wrong with his age and our timeline?

Just curious, despite JJ being only 6'4 with average/short wingspan, he became a good quality NBA player. He worked on his D when he was with us.

Why couldnt Kispert do the same? Like grind and work on his D like JJ? He probably has better tools already cuz he is taller than JJ for his spot.

There just doesn’t seem to be enough high upside potential in him. Even JJ at his ceiling was less impact than you’d hope for from an asset as valuable as a top 10 pick. Still a great and valuable player, but a commodity which has been moving around the league a lot lately, and often cheaply. Fournier was just moved for a couple of 2nd round picks and cap space, for example.

Maybe I’m wrong and he can become a new gen Klay alongside a new gen Curry, but I’d rather take a punt on someone with elite playmaking and creation skills with room to improve scoring efficiency than someone with great efficiency but much less potential to become a creator. At this point in our rebuild, anyway.

There’s always a balance to be struck. We don’t want too many raw prospects like Hampton, and guys like Ingles/Harris/Robinson/JJ are good stabilisers on the court and in a locker room. Just have to make sure we don’t overpay for them with our best assets at this point in the rebuild.

Return to Orlando Magic