ImageImageImageImage

Official 2021 NBA Draft Thread Part 2

Moderators: Knightro, SOUL, Def Swami, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, UCF, ChosenSavior

User avatar
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
Posts: 45,845
And1: 26,591
Joined: Dec 11, 2006
Location: 트와이스
     

Re: Official 2021 NBA Draft Thread Part 2 

Post#1041 » by SOUL » Mon Jun 7, 2021 2:22 am

Read on Twitter


Garuba's defense looks REALLY good. It's a shame his offense isn't good. But if he's in the right situation, I can see him being in a Thybulle sort of role for a team that can use him specifically for that.
User avatar
RookieStar
RealGM
Posts: 11,637
And1: 2,572
Joined: Jul 01, 2009
 

Re: Official 2021 NBA Draft Thread Part 2 

Post#1042 » by RookieStar » Mon Jun 7, 2021 3:21 am

Ok I just read from hooshyoe that GSW was holding a workout/interview for projected 2nd roundera like Tate, Hauser and etc. Why cant wr do that?
User avatar
KillMonger
RealGM
Posts: 12,325
And1: 6,054
Joined: Oct 13, 2012
     

Re: Official 2021 NBA Draft Thread Part 2 

Post#1043 » by KillMonger » Tue Jun 8, 2021 4:00 am

Read on Twitter
Image

FREE MO BAMBA......R.I.P DMX ....... FREE MO BAMBA......R.I.P DMX
User avatar
RookieStar
RealGM
Posts: 11,637
And1: 2,572
Joined: Jul 01, 2009
 

Re: Official 2021 NBA Draft Thread Part 2 

Post#1044 » by RookieStar » Tue Jun 8, 2021 4:28 am

KillMonger wrote:
Read on Twitter


Is this the dude who'se knock was that he isnt atheltic enough and only 6'5? Or was that another player? I get confused with this tier of d.mitch, duarte, mann, et etc
User avatar
tiderulz
RealGM
Posts: 31,069
And1: 11,537
Joined: Jun 16, 2010
Location: Atlanta
 

Re: Official 2021 NBA Draft Thread Part 2 

Post#1045 » by tiderulz » Tue Jun 8, 2021 12:22 pm

RookieStar wrote:
KillMonger wrote:
Read on Twitter


Is this the dude who'se knock was that he isnt atheltic enough and only 6'5? Or was that another player? I get confused with this tier of d.mitch, duarte, mann, et etc

and the video, the guy guarding him looks 2 inches shorter than him.
User avatar
RookieStar
RealGM
Posts: 11,637
And1: 2,572
Joined: Jul 01, 2009
 

Re: Official 2021 NBA Draft Thread Part 2 

Post#1046 » by RookieStar » Tue Jun 8, 2021 8:16 pm

tiderulz wrote:
RookieStar wrote:
KillMonger wrote:
Read on Twitter


Is this the dude who'se knock was that he isnt atheltic enough and only 6'5? Or was that another player? I get confused with this tier of d.mitch, duarte, mann, et etc

and the video, the guy guarding him looks 2 inches shorter than him.


TBF, he is doing what all prospects since the beginning of time has been doing. Releasing videos of them dominating against short, undersized, overweight amateur defenders/trainers. LOL

I never saw a prospect release video of the going up against ex/current NBA players in the gym.
User avatar
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
Posts: 23,245
And1: 8,510
Joined: Jun 26, 2009
Location: Orlando, FL.
     

Re: Official 2021 NBA Draft Thread Part 2 

Post#1047 » by Blue_and_Whte » Tue Jun 8, 2021 8:51 pm

RookieStar wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
RookieStar wrote:
Is this the dude who'se knock was that he isnt atheltic enough and only 6'5? Or was that another player? I get confused with this tier of d.mitch, duarte, mann, et etc

and the video, the guy guarding him looks 2 inches shorter than him.


TBF, he is doing what all prospects since the beginning of time has been doing. Releasing videos of them dominating against short, undersized, overweight amateur defenders/trainers. LOL

I never saw a prospect release video of the going up against ex/current NBA players in the gym.

Ive watched his games against college players. He isn’t athletic and a little undersized. He’s twitchy and quick but not fast. Don’t fall for the video guys.
User avatar
RookieStar
RealGM
Posts: 11,637
And1: 2,572
Joined: Jul 01, 2009
 

Re: Official 2021 NBA Draft Thread Part 2 

Post#1048 » by RookieStar » Tue Jun 8, 2021 9:15 pm

Blue_and_Whte wrote:
RookieStar wrote:
tiderulz wrote:and the video, the guy guarding him looks 2 inches shorter than him.


TBF, he is doing what all prospects since the beginning of time has been doing. Releasing videos of them dominating against short, undersized, overweight amateur defenders/trainers. LOL

I never saw a prospect release video of the going up against ex/current NBA players in the gym.

Ive watched his games against college players. He isn’t athletic and a little undersized. He’s twitchy and quick but not fast. Don’t fall for the video guys.


Oh I know... that;s why he isn't even on my radar with our two top-picks.
User avatar
RookieStar
RealGM
Posts: 11,637
And1: 2,572
Joined: Jul 01, 2009
 

Re: Official 2021 NBA Draft Thread Part 2 

Post#1049 » by RookieStar » Tue Jun 8, 2021 9:18 pm

Ok so Im looking at NBA rumors/news and it seems other teas are already working out draftees. Why aren't we doing it? Even the Celts are working out EJ Onu already and the GSW have like a tryout for the 2nd rounders.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 24,296
And1: 9,943
Joined: Apr 10, 2001
     

Re: Official 2021 NBA Draft Thread Part 2 

Post#1050 » by Bensational » Tue Jun 8, 2021 10:14 pm

RookieStar wrote:Ok so Im looking at NBA rumors/news and it seems other teas are already working out draftees. Why aren't we doing it? Even the Celts are working out EJ Onu already and the GSW have like a tryout for the 2nd rounders.


Our team has always been tight-lipped about workouts. We often find out later that we ran more than we knew about.
User avatar
RookieStar
RealGM
Posts: 11,637
And1: 2,572
Joined: Jul 01, 2009
 

Re: Official 2021 NBA Draft Thread Part 2 

Post#1051 » by RookieStar » Tue Jun 8, 2021 10:34 pm

Bensational wrote:
RookieStar wrote:Ok so Im looking at NBA rumors/news and it seems other teas are already working out draftees. Why aren't we doing it? Even the Celts are working out EJ Onu already and the GSW have like a tryout for the 2nd rounders.


Our team has always been tight-lipped about workouts. We often find out later that we ran more than we knew about.


Really? So you are saying that we could have had guys already working out for us? Hard to imagine that news isnt leaked by the other party ( the player/agent/momma/etc)
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 24,296
And1: 9,943
Joined: Apr 10, 2001
     

Re: Official 2021 NBA Draft Thread Part 2 

Post#1052 » by Bensational » Tue Jun 8, 2021 11:05 pm

RookieStar wrote:
Bensational wrote:
RookieStar wrote:Ok so Im looking at NBA rumors/news and it seems other teas are already working out draftees. Why aren't we doing it? Even the Celts are working out EJ Onu already and the GSW have like a tryout for the 2nd rounders.


Our team has always been tight-lipped about workouts. We often find out later that we ran more than we knew about.


Really? So you are saying that we could have had guys already working out for us? Hard to imagine that news isnt leaked by the other party ( the player/agent/momma/etc)


I really don’t know what they’re doing, I just know a bunch of names pop up as having previously worked out for us - sometimes multiple times - right around draft night. There’s a lot of posturing on both sides at this time, but no real advantage for players to announce who they’re working out for without a confirmed draft order, unless they get an opportunity with a team they didn’t expect.
User avatar
KillMonger
RealGM
Posts: 12,325
And1: 6,054
Joined: Oct 13, 2012
     

Re: Official 2021 NBA Draft Thread Part 2 

Post#1053 » by KillMonger » Wed Jun 9, 2021 11:46 am

i'm starting to come around to the idea of josh giddey as i would love to have another playmaker other than the lead guard but i keep wondering how he plays off ball? got to do more dd....i mean research

Image

FREE MO BAMBA......R.I.P DMX ....... FREE MO BAMBA......R.I.P DMX
User avatar
drsd
RealGM
Posts: 29,791
And1: 5,287
Joined: Mar 16, 2003
     

Re: Official 2021 NBA Draft Thread Part 2 

Post#1054 » by drsd » Wed Jun 9, 2021 11:57 am

Just two more weeks to the lottery !
User avatar
drsd
RealGM
Posts: 29,791
And1: 5,287
Joined: Mar 16, 2003
     

Re: Official 2021 NBA Draft Thread Part 2 

Post#1055 » by drsd » Wed Jun 9, 2021 12:16 pm

A really nice "nobody is perfect" editorial:
BR link: Strengths and Weaknesses for Every Projected Lottery Pick

The first thing I noticed is that the top-5 players in this draft perfectly compliment each other.

Imagine this starting five:
Suggs
Green
Cunningham
Kuminga
Mobley
Holy crap would that be fun.

Anyhow, and interesting and thoughtful critique for the players coming in to the NBA.

..
Nyce_1
RealGM
Posts: 11,385
And1: 5,156
Joined: Jun 29, 2009
Location: Tampa
 

Re: Official 2021 NBA Draft Thread Part 2 

Post#1056 » by Nyce_1 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 10:47 pm

RookieStar wrote:
Nyce_1 wrote:What happens if Cade and his agent duck teams and hold medical info to Hopefully drop 1 or 2 spots. Would it be effective?


You mean likr what Bamba did to us but we ended up drafting him anyway?

Hopefully teams saw that and elect to pass on Cade out of fear of him being the next Bamba :lol:
Image
basketballRob
RealGM
Posts: 13,684
And1: 5,576
Joined: May 05, 2014
     

Re: Official 2021 NBA Draft Thread Part 2 

Post#1057 » by basketballRob » Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:15 am

KillMonger wrote:i'm starting to come around to the idea of josh giddey as i would love to have another playmaker other than the lead guard but i keep wondering how he plays off ball? got to do more dd....i mean research

Here's his FIBA stats. I like how he racked up the steals, I know Suggs racked them up in FIBA also.


https://www.fiba.basketball/oceania/u17/2019/player/Joshua-Giddey

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
User avatar
KillMonger
RealGM
Posts: 12,325
And1: 6,054
Joined: Oct 13, 2012
     

Re: Official 2021 NBA Draft Thread Part 2 

Post#1058 » by KillMonger » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:22 am

basketballRob wrote:
KillMonger wrote:i'm starting to come around to the idea of josh giddey as i would love to have another playmaker other than the lead guard but i keep wondering how he plays off ball? got to do more dd....i mean research

Here's his FIBA stats. I like how he racked up the steals, I know Suggs racked them up in FIBA also.


https://www.fiba.basketball/oceania/u17/2019/player/Joshua-Giddey

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app

I like that as well...just seems to be an all around player....for me a prospect always gets elevated just a tad if they're playing against grown men....just another player to consider for our second pick
Image

FREE MO BAMBA......R.I.P DMX ....... FREE MO BAMBA......R.I.P DMX
pepe1991
RealGM
Posts: 14,338
And1: 11,745
Joined: Jan 10, 2016
   

Re: Official 2021 NBA Draft Thread Part 2 

Post#1059 » by pepe1991 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:21 am

basketballRob wrote:
KillMonger wrote:i'm starting to come around to the idea of josh giddey as i would love to have another playmaker other than the lead guard but i keep wondering how he plays off ball? got to do more dd....i mean research

Here's his FIBA stats. I like how he racked up the steals, I know Suggs racked them up in FIBA also.


https://www.fiba.basketball/oceania/u17/2019/player/Joshua-Giddey

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app



Bro, that's u 17, Ocenia championship. Against Guam, New Zeland and Tahiti.
Guam has population of 160 000 people :lol: It's miracle they fan find 10 kids under age of 17 standing taller than 5'0

Suggs played u 19 world cup. Completley different level of talent due age AND talent perspective.
Hell, Suggs played World cup where his teammate was non other than Halliburton himself.
Prediction day after Vuc, Gordon, Evan departure - most fans who are celebrating birth of new rebuild will be crying how rebuild is painful before 2022-23 season ends.
Date of writeup: March 26th, 2021.
User avatar
drsd
RealGM
Posts: 29,791
And1: 5,287
Joined: Mar 16, 2003
     

Re: Official 2021 NBA Draft Thread Part 2 

Post#1060 » by drsd » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:34 am

pepe1991 wrote:Bro, that's u 17, Ocenia championship. Against Guam, New Zeland and Tahiti.
Guam has population of 160 000 people :lol: It's miracle they fan find 10 kids under age of 17 standing taller than 5'0

Suggs played u 19 world cup. Completley different level of talent due age AND talent perspective.
Hell, Suggs played World cup where his teammate was non other than Halliburton himself.


Giddey has great physical measurements for the PG position; almost to Magic Johnson levels. And he has been playing basketball since he was a tadpole (actually as his mother is a former basketball player, so, since he was a zygote).

For me the point is that i) the PG position is the hardest to play in basketball and thus all NBA rookies PG suck - universally, and then add, ii) Giddey will take noticeably longer than the average entry to the NBA to potentially excel, given his competition limitation, including the ones you make above.

I would think that Giddey would first be a competent starting PG in year 4: that is the 2024/25 season. And that's an if as all new players have a potential to flame out (or get injured).

Sum that up: where is he on the risk/reward wheel to determine a draft slot? Many would have him in the 10-15 range, and others in the 12-25 range. As he is far from a need, I would take a pass on him as there are equal upside players in his range that are more of a positional fit for Orlando: Wagner for example.
..

Return to Orlando Magic