ImageImageImageImage

Official 2021 NBA Draft Thread Part 2

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,788

Re: Official 2021 NBA Draft Thread Part 2 

Post#1181 » by RookieStar » Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:48 am

basketballRob wrote:
RookieStar wrote:
basketballRob wrote:Does anyone think Jalen Green could be an Iverson type. I was trying to think of a two guard as thin as Green and AI was the only player I could think of.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app

You want a thin SG with that hops? You forgot our very own JRich?
I think Green has a better handle.

Maybe... tbf i never remembered us using him to create. its usually pass to him to either slash or shoot the 3 only.
Nyce_1
RealGM
And1: 5,975

Post#1182 » by Nyce_1 » Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:43 pm

cedric76 wrote:i want Cade so bad
+1
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 9,971

Post#1183 » by KillMonger » Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:37 pm

Nyce_1 wrote:
cedric76 wrote:i want Cade so bad
+1

+1000000000
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,498

Post#1184 » by MagicFan101 » Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:51 pm

I have a really bad itch in the back of my head which says Cade has a very hard cap on his potential which is going to make him no better than the 3rd or 4th best player from this class when all is said and done.

Now, I’m super high on this class so “3rd or 4th” is enough to be a multi-season All-Star and a fantastic NBA pro. However, there will be at least one cornerstone franchise talent in this class and I struggle to see Cade being it. Something just doesn’t click for me …

With that said, nothing about him is a true negative. Sure, there are spots to improve as with all prospects but he is a true do it all NBA ready guard. He is destined for success. It’s hard to say no to Cade if we end up #1 unless we can be like he Celtics in 2017 and trade down a spot or two to grab Suggs / Green + another asset.
lotteryluck4ORL
Ballboy
And1: 7

Post#1185 » by lotteryluck4ORL » Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:56 pm

Let’s go guys
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,366

Post#1186 » by Bensational » Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:26 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:I have a really bad itch in the back of my head which says Cade has a very hard cap on his potential which is going to make him no better than the 3rd or 4th best player from this class when all is said and done.

Now, I’m super high on this class so “3rd or 4th” is enough to be a multi-season All-Star and a fantastic NBA pro. However, there will be at least one cornerstone franchise talent in this class and I struggle to see Cade being it. Something just doesn’t click for me …

With that said, nothing about him is a true negative. Sure, there are spots to improve as with all prospects but he is a true do it all NBA ready guard. He is destined for success. It’s hard to say no to Cade if we end up #1 unless we can be like he Celtics in 2017 and trade down a spot or two to grab Suggs / Green + another asset.

Interesting because I’ve felt kind of similar. Tatum/Ingram is the vibe I’m getting, unless he can return to being regarded as an elite playmaker again.

But, like either of those two above, I’d still be very happy with him. I’m also not trying to dismiss him because I let myself sleep on Edwards and Ball last draft over similar concerns, and they both look great.

Suggs, for example, looks like a guy who has winning and being part of a winning team built into him. Green I can’t get a strong feel for his ceiling. So all of my interest has fallen into players projected to go later in the draft.
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,498

Post#1187 » by MagicFan101 » Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:35 pm

Bensational wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:I have a really bad itch in the back of my head which says Cade has a very hard cap on his potential which is going to make him no better than the 3rd or 4th best player from this class when all is said and done.

Interesting because I’ve felt kind of similar. Tatum/Ingram is the vibe I’m getting, unless he can return to being regarded as an elite playmaker again.

But, like either of those two above, I’d still be very happy with him. I’m also not trying to dismiss him because I let myself sleep on Edwards and Ball last draft over similar concerns, and they both look great.

Suggs, for example, looks like a guy who has winning and being part of a winning team built into him. Green I can’t get a strong feel for his ceiling. So all of my interest has fallen into players projected to go later in the draft.

Right. “Settling” for Cade / Tatum / Ingram is a very good problem to have. Still, I’m just saying I don’t quite see a future #1 guy who dominates the league the way some are talking about him. This class however is so stacked that someone will rise up and ultimately be better than Cade. If we have 2 top 10 picks and no pressure to win now … why can’t we be the team to find that guy?
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1188 » by Bensational » Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:44 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:
Bensational wrote:

Right. “Settling” for Cade / Tatum / Ingram is a very good problem to have. Still, I’m just saying I don’t quite see a future #1 guy who dominates the league the way some are talking about him. This class however is so stacked that someone will rise up and ultimately be better than Cade. If we have 2 top 10 picks and no pressure to win now … why can’t we be the team to find that guy?

Well depending on lottery results we might *have* to be that team if we don’t land #1.

The problem I see is that the bulk of the names from 5-14 that come up in most mocks are the guys who I think will flop relative to draft position. There’s definitely a couple potential big studs in there, but most seem really overrated to me at this point (as far as ‘star potential’) like Bouknight and Barnes.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1189 » by Bensational » Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:05 pm

Bensational wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:
Bensational wrote:

Well depending on lottery results we might *have* to be that team if we don’t land #1.

The problem I see is that the bulk of the names from 5-14 that come up in most mocks are the guys who I think will flop relative to draft position. There’s definitely a couple potential big studs in there, but most seem really overrated to me at this point (as far as ‘star potential’) like Bouknight and Barnes.

Actually, despite any niggling doubts in the back of my mind, every time I watch Cade I still don’t question taking him #1. He just looks like a man playing amongst boys. His physical profile and the way he dictates his own pace whilst surveying the floor from the perimeter is very LeBron-ish to me. The passing itself isn’t anywhere near as on point, but he seems to make good reads overall.

I dunno, maybe he’s going to explode to an even higher level this season. He used college to crush any concerns about his 3pt shooting. If he comes in with a focus on his passing and upping his inside scoring he could still be a superstar.
Edrock
Rookie
And1: 210

Post#1190 » by Edrock » Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:13 pm

Bensational wrote:The problem I see is that the bulk of the names from 5-14 that come up in most mocks are the guys who I think will flop relative to draft position.. .

It's up to the FO to figure that part out... Unfortunately their track record w/high draft picks hasn't been all that good. :banghead:
The Effect
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 2,053

Post#1191 » by The Effect » Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:34 pm

Bensational wrote:

If hes gonna be the next tatum, im trading both our picks and a future pick to get him if we dont get #1
Tatum is going to be a top 5 player in the league for a LONG LONG time. I really believe, he along with Luka, Mitchell, Booker and zion (or maybe lamelo) are going to be the face of the nba once Lebron, Kd and curry retire
Edrock
Rookie
And1: 210

Post#1192 » by Edrock » Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:20 am

The Effect wrote:... If hes gonna be the next tatum...
Tatum is going to be a top 5 player in the league for a LONG LONG time.

If Tatum is Cade's ceiling, I concur... Is Tatum not seen as a franchise cornerstone? 2-way wing, 3 level scorer, all of those buzzwords!
nicnac215
Sixth Man
And1: 536

Post#1193 » by nicnac215 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:39 am

Edrock wrote:

If Tatum is Cade's ceiling, I concur... Is Tatum not seen as a franchise cornerstone? 2-way wing, 3 level scorer, all of those buzzwords!

I think Tatum is Cade’s floor tbh. I don’t think Tatum will ever be a top 5 player either.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1194 » by Bensational » Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:49 am

Edrock wrote:

I think Tatum is great as a lead scorer but not a lead playmaker, and a lot of great teams have those two roles in the one player.

Same way CP3 helped Booker transcend, I think Tatum needs a similar presence to help him and the C’a get to the next level.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,788

Post#1195 » by RookieStar » Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:36 am

Anyone have insider info what our FO is doing? Some teams are already working out late FRP to SRP talent already.. while we are...what?
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,224

Post#1196 » by pepe1991 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:25 am

RookieStar wrote:Anyone have insider info what our FO is doing? Some teams are already working out late FRP to SRP talent already.. while we are...what?

Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,008

Post#1197 » by fendilim » Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:39 am

RookieStar wrote:
basketballRob wrote:
RookieStar wrote:
You want a thin SG with that hops? You forgot our very own JRich?
I think Green has a better handle.

Maybe... tbf i never remembered us using him to create. its usually pass to him to either slash or shoot the 3 only.

Yup. Jrich is just a shooter and not a scorer. Even worse than tross as a scorer.
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,008

Post#1198 » by fendilim » Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:40 am

RookieStar wrote:Anyone have insider info what our FO is doing? Some teams are already working out late FRP to SRP talent already.. while we are...what?

I’ll just rely on WARP. Pretty much the first available player on that list will be our pick. Similar to what they’ve been doing since Isaac pick.
OrlChamps2030
General Manager
And1: 4,153

Post#1199 » by OrlChamps2030 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:54 pm

Part of Cade’s value is his floor.. it’s hard to see him not being a good NBA player. Much higher floor than Green, Suggs, and Mobley. But I will concede that one could argue Green has a higher ceiling than Cade.

And For what it’s worth, I see Tatum as a #1 guy in today’s NBA
jonbob17
Analyst
And1: 1,317

Post#1200 » by jonbob17 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:36 pm

I see people say Cade is more of a Tatum or a Paul George than a generational talent. I mean if you can draft someone whose likely outcome is that kind of player, you draft them #1 and laugh about how lucky you were.

Could there be guys that turn into better players than that in this draft? Sure, but the likelihood is probably small that their development takes that path.

It is also possible that Cade's development track skews higher and he eventually ends up closer to a lead ball handling 6'*8" wing who is a top 5-10 player in this league. We already know the defense is real, he can shoot, and he can make some obscene passes, even if he made a lot of bad passes too. I don't think you have to have incredible athleticism if you have so many other skills working for you.

Return to Orlando Magic