ImageImageImageImage

Who are you eyeing with the Chicago pick?

Moderators: Knightro, SOUL, Def Swami, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, UCF, ChosenSavior

pepe1991
RealGM
Posts: 14,338
And1: 11,745
Joined: Jan 10, 2016
   

Re: Who are you eyeing with the Chicago pick? 

Post#201 » by pepe1991 » Wed May 19, 2021 6:42 am

RookieStar wrote:
The Effect wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
I don't really get why. His brother plays for us now, his brother should be better player due bigger, stronger frame, despite that, he is on exit doors of nba after 3 seasons.

Yeah i dont get it either
Michigan is my 2nd favorite college team and i REALLY dont get the hype. Hes good, but not top 10 pick good....I MUST be missing something


Maybe because he is 6'9-ish SF that gives them Gordon Hayward vibes? Plus he is young enough that he still has the dreaded "potential" factor.


Hayward as frashmen shot 45% for 3 :lol: his shooting did dip a lot in year two, and even in nba it was shaky as he was changing short arch i think, but he was always viewed as plus shooter.
Wagner for 2 years shot 31% and 34% for 3.
He is very good FT shooter but his 3s simply don't go in at great rate.

I also really struggle to see how execlly he will be able to defend SFs.

Shot just under 38% on two point jumpers this season, reinforcing that he will not be much of a shooter, at least without years of development … Was only assisted on 7.7% of his two-point jumpers, and can get baited into shooting jumpers rather than getting to the lane … Averaged 12.5 points per game this season, with only six games that he recorded at least 20 points, showing he will be a limited offensive threat


You are getting guy who isn't elite athlete, who isn't elite shooter, who is unremarkable college scorer despite 2 years of experience and who probably won't be able to be plus defender.
And there is his 7 foot brother who also happends to be incapable of defending without fouling and his "shooting" that should have kept him in nba , simply does not hold up,despite most of his shots being wide open?

It's a no for me. To me this yells Hezonja.
Prediction day after Vuc, Gordon, Evan departure - most fans who are celebrating birth of new rebuild will be crying how rebuild is painful before 2022-23 season ends.
Date of writeup: March 26th, 2021.
User avatar
zaymon
Analyst
Posts: 3,089
And1: 1,696
Joined: Jul 01, 2015
   

Re: Who are you eyeing with the Chicago pick? 

Post#202 » by zaymon » Wed May 19, 2021 7:06 am

pepe1991 wrote:
RookieStar wrote:
The Effect wrote:Yeah i dont get it either
Michigan is my 2nd favorite college team and i REALLY dont get the hype. Hes good, but not top 10 pick good....I MUST be missing something


Maybe because he is 6'9-ish SF that gives them Gordon Hayward vibes? Plus he is young enough that he still has the dreaded "potential" factor.


Hayward as frashmen shot 45% for 3 :lol: his shooting did dip a lot in year two, and even in nba it was shaky as he was changing short arch i think, but he was always viewed as plus shooter.
Wagner for 2 years shot 31% and 34% for 3.
He is very good FT shooter but his 3s simply don't go in at great rate.

I also really struggle to see how execlly he will be able to defend SFs.

Shot just under 38% on two point jumpers this season, reinforcing that he will not be much of a shooter, at least without years of development … Was only assisted on 7.7% of his two-point jumpers, and can get baited into shooting jumpers rather than getting to the lane … Averaged 12.5 points per game this season, with only six games that he recorded at least 20 points, showing he will be a limited offensive threat


You are getting guy who isn't elite athlete, who isn't elite shooter, who is unremarkable college scorer despite 2 years of experience and who probably won't be able to be plus defender.
And there is his 7 foot brother who also happends to be incapable of defending without fouling and his "shooting" that should have kept him in nba , simply does not hold up,despite most of his shots being wide open?

It's a no for me. To me this yells Hezonja.


Maybe Hezonja as a shooter but definetly not as a defender. Mario had no idea what he was doing on defende while Wagner is smart, quick and great with his technique. Franz is also a lot better as a passer and finisher. They are not similar to me at all outside their size.
Goodbye Vucevic, welcome lotttery picks !!!
Happysad.
User avatar
drsd
RealGM
Posts: 29,791
And1: 5,287
Joined: Mar 16, 2003
     

Re: Who are you eyeing with the Chicago pick? 

Post#203 » by drsd » Wed May 19, 2021 7:12 am

tiderulz wrote:if we draft at 4, and someone else picks Green(?) at 4, we would draft Kuminga at 5 plus #9 to move up? im a little lost


Mis-typed the key number.


If the Magic draft FIVE and whoever at 4 picks Green, I would hope that the Kuminga's rights at 5 and the Bulls pick at a probable 9 would be enough to move up a slot.

As this is the Bulls thread, I am simply be hopeful that 5 + 9 = 4.


..
User avatar
drsd
RealGM
Posts: 29,791
And1: 5,287
Joined: Mar 16, 2003
     

Re: Who are you eyeing with the Chicago pick? 

Post#204 » by drsd » Wed May 19, 2021 7:16 am

Skybox wrote:I still like Kispert here...he didn't have a great tourney but he's a REAL shooter and he's got a solid, athletic frame and mindset for defense. Unlimited ceiling with our first pick, high floor with our second.


I feel the same. Kispert screams "the next Dan Majerle" to me. At 9 or 10, that is an excellent, value selection.

..
User avatar
RookieStar
RealGM
Posts: 11,637
And1: 2,572
Joined: Jul 01, 2009
 

Re: Who are you eyeing with the Chicago pick? 

Post#205 » by RookieStar » Wed May 19, 2021 7:24 am

drsd wrote:
Skybox wrote:I still like Kispert here...he didn't have a great tourney but he's a REAL shooter and he's got a solid, athletic frame and mindset for defense. Unlimited ceiling with our first pick, high floor with our second.


I feel the same. Kispert screams "the next Dan Majerle" to me. At 9 or 10, that is an excellent, value selection.

..


He doesnt scream "Doug McDermott" or bigger " Jimmy"?
User avatar
RookieStar
RealGM
Posts: 11,637
And1: 2,572
Joined: Jul 01, 2009
 

Re: Who are you eyeing with the Chicago pick? 

Post#206 » by RookieStar » Wed May 19, 2021 7:28 am

pepe1991 wrote:
RookieStar wrote:
The Effect wrote:Yeah i dont get it either
Michigan is my 2nd favorite college team and i REALLY dont get the hype. Hes good, but not top 10 pick good....I MUST be missing something


Maybe because he is 6'9-ish SF that gives them Gordon Hayward vibes? Plus he is young enough that he still has the dreaded "potential" factor.


Hayward as frashmen shot 45% for 3 :lol: his shooting did dip a lot in year two, and 9even in nba it was shaky as he was changing short arch i think, but he was always viewed as plus shooter.
Wagner for 2 years shot 31% and 34% for 3.
He is very good FT shooter but his 3s simply don't go in at great rate.

I also really struggle to see how execlly he will be able to defend SFs.

Shot just under 38% on two point jumpers this season, reinforcing that he will not be much of a shooter, at least without years of development … Was only assisted on 7.7% of his two-point jumpers, and can get baited into shooting jumpers rather than getting to the lane … Averaged 12.5 points per game this season, with only six games that he recorded at least 20 points, showing he will be a limited offensive threat


You are getting guy who isn't elite athlete, who isn't elite shooter, who is unremarkable college scorer despite 2 years of experience and who probably won't be able to be plus defender.
And there is his 7 foot brother who also happends to be incapable of defending without fouling and his "shooting" that should have kept him in nba , simply does not hold up,despite most of his shots being wide open?

It's a no for me. To me this yells Hezonja.


Hayward might be the better shooter during their college careers but thats not to say they will have the same improvement arc and timeline.

Remember some analytics/scouts can already predict if you are gonna be a good shooter based on your FT form/rate ( thats what i read anyway) and as you said he is already a good FT shooter.

Its not in the realm of impossibility that Franz can improve faster and greater than Haywards arc.
User avatar
drsd
RealGM
Posts: 29,791
And1: 5,287
Joined: Mar 16, 2003
     

Re: Who are you eyeing with the Chicago pick? 

Post#207 » by drsd » Wed May 19, 2021 7:33 am

RookieStar wrote:
drsd wrote:
Skybox wrote:I still like Kispert here...he didn't have a great tourney but he's a REAL shooter and he's got a solid, athletic frame and mindset for defense. Unlimited ceiling with our first pick, high floor with our second.


I feel the same. Kispert screams "the next Dan Majerle" to me. At 9 or 10, that is an excellent, value selection.

..


He doesnt scream "Doug McDermott" ...


If Kispert is the next McDermott, yes the Magic should draft him.


Majerle vs. McDermott comparison

They are very similar players. Majerle's percentages are held down by his era (here defense was battle-ball).


..
User avatar
tiderulz
RealGM
Posts: 31,069
And1: 11,537
Joined: Jun 16, 2010
Location: Atlanta
 

Re: Who are you eyeing with the Chicago pick? 

Post#208 » by tiderulz » Wed May 19, 2021 12:15 pm

drsd wrote:
RookieStar wrote:
drsd wrote:
I feel the same. Kispert screams "the next Dan Majerle" to me. At 9 or 10, that is an excellent, value selection.

..


He doesnt scream "Doug McDermott" ...


If Kispert is the next McDermott, yes the Magic should draft him.


Majerle vs. McDermott comparison

They are very similar players. Majerle's percentages are held down by his era (here defense was battle-ball).


..

using these picks to try and strike a little gold, i would hope for a player with a higher ceiling than comparing to McDermott.
GelbeWand09
Senior
Posts: 712
And1: 960
Joined: Apr 17, 2018
       

Re: Who are you eyeing with the Chicago pick? 

Post#209 » by GelbeWand09 » Wed May 19, 2021 1:09 pm

drsd wrote:
RookieStar wrote:
drsd wrote:
I feel the same. Kispert screams "the next Dan Majerle" to me. At 9 or 10, that is an excellent, value selection.

..


He doesnt scream "Doug McDermott" ...


If Kispert is the next McDermott, yes the Magic should draft him.


Majerle vs. McDermott comparison

They are very similar players. Majerle's percentages are held down by his era (here defense was battle-ball).


..


McDermott plays his 1st solid season at age 29 and was traded 4 times in the last 5 years. Not really the value i hope for at 7-10.

About the Majerle comparisons. Havent seen enough of Kispert (but dont see the defense or passing) but the only thing McDermott & Thunder Dan got in common is they are both white & shoot 3's :lol:
Majerle was a high level 3 & D player with + passing ability. He was in the All-Defensive 2nd team 2x & a 3x All-Star.
User avatar
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
Posts: 10,486
And1: 12,309
Joined: Dec 18, 2010
Location: Orlando, FL
 

Re: Who are you eyeing with the Chicago pick? 

Post#210 » by Knightro » Wed May 19, 2021 3:44 pm

RookieStar wrote:I have a gut feeling due to us having a lack of PFs we pick jalen johnson especially after the interview they see nothing wrong with him. Jalen is a PF and our FO can fool us saying he is a wing lol


Isaac isn't a PF?
User avatar
Xatticus
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,903
And1: 5,558
Joined: Feb 18, 2016
Location: the land of the blind
         

Re: Who are you eyeing with the Chicago pick? 

Post#211 » by Xatticus » Wed May 19, 2021 4:57 pm

GelbeWand09 wrote:
drsd wrote:
RookieStar wrote:
He doesnt scream "Doug McDermott" ...


If Kispert is the next McDermott, yes the Magic should draft him.


Majerle vs. McDermott comparison

They are very similar players. Majerle's percentages are held down by his era (here defense was battle-ball).


..


McDermott plays his 1st solid season at age 29 and was traded 4 times in the last 5 years. Not really the value i hope for at 7-10.

About the Majerle comparisons. Havent seen enough of Kispert (but dont see the defense or passing) but the only thing McDermott & Thunder Dan got in common is they are both white & shoot 3's :lol:
Majerle was a high level 3 & D player with + passing ability. He was in the All-Defensive 2nd team 2x & a 3x All-Star.


And Majerle wasn’t Majerle at the same age. He played center in college and had only just begun to shoot threes. He didn’t really become a 3-point shooter until the Barkley trade because he knew his role was going to change due to the departure of Hornacek. The comp doesn’t make sense.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
User avatar
drsd
RealGM
Posts: 29,791
And1: 5,287
Joined: Mar 16, 2003
     

Re: Who are you eyeing with the Chicago pick? 

Post#212 » by drsd » Wed May 19, 2021 5:23 pm

GelbeWand09 wrote:McDermott plays his 1st solid season at age 29 and was traded 4 times in the last 5 years.


I respectfully disagree. From year 2, McDermott has been a solid NBA backup.

Not really the value i hope for at 7-10.


As this pick is likely to go 9 or 10, I think a solid multi-year backup is a very good value for this pick.


.
User avatar
RookieStar
RealGM
Posts: 11,637
And1: 2,572
Joined: Jul 01, 2009
 

Re: Who are you eyeing with the Chicago pick? 

Post#213 » by RookieStar » Wed May 19, 2021 8:20 pm

Knightro wrote:
RookieStar wrote:I have a gut feeling due to us having a lack of PFs we pick jalen johnson especially after the interview they see nothing wrong with him. Jalen is a PF and our FO can fool us saying he is a wing lol


Isaac isn't a PF?


Isaac and who? Wagner? Chuma? They aren't full-time PFs One is a SF trying to play-up the other is a 3rs string big that can probably give you spot minutes at PF.

That's what I meant by lack of PFs. Its only the oft-injured JI that is our "real" PF.
User avatar
RookieStar
RealGM
Posts: 11,637
And1: 2,572
Joined: Jul 01, 2009
 

Re: Who are you eyeing with the Chicago pick? 

Post#214 » by RookieStar » Wed May 19, 2021 8:23 pm

Xatticus wrote:
GelbeWand09 wrote:
drsd wrote:
If Kispert is the next McDermott, yes the Magic should draft him.


Majerle vs. McDermott comparison

They are very similar players. Majerle's percentages are held down by his era (here defense was battle-ball).


..


McDermott plays his 1st solid season at age 29 and was traded 4 times in the last 5 years. Not really the value i hope for at 7-10.

About the Majerle comparisons. Havent seen enough of Kispert (but dont see the defense or passing) but the only thing McDermott & Thunder Dan got in common is they are both white & shoot 3's :lol:
Majerle was a high level 3 & D player with + passing ability. He was in the All-Defensive 2nd team 2x & a 3x All-Star.


And Majerle wasn’t Majerle at the same age. He played center in college and had only just begun to shoot threes. He didn’t really become a 3-point shooter until the Barkley trade because he knew his role was going to change due to the departure of Hornacek. The comp doesn’t make sense.


Granted, I didn't really know much about Dan except the very few times I saw him with MIA. I never saw him play at PHO. So I think that comparison is they are both white, 6'7ish shooters with questionable lateral quickness??? That's the only similarity I can make.
ogmagicfan
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,311
And1: 672
Joined: Mar 30, 2014
     

Re: Who are you eyeing with the Chicago pick? 

Post#215 » by ogmagicfan » Thu May 20, 2021 1:51 am

Moses Moody is my favorite option. He had a .482 FTAR while shooting a good clip from 3 that will translate to the NBA (near 40% before his rough games to end the season.

With a 7 ft wingspan and ability to play the 2 or 3, he should have a high ceiling, and could be a serious scorer in the NBA once he puts it all together. Biggest weakness is creating for others.

Keon Johnson would be my 2nd choice, I love his athletic ability and explosiveness, and if he develops a jump shot, look out.

Both of them are also on the young end compared to other draft prospects. I feel as they have the best chance among the 5-10 range to be players we look back at saying “How did we miss him”... that is if we don’t draft them/they’re already picked
User avatar
tiderulz
RealGM
Posts: 31,069
And1: 11,537
Joined: Jun 16, 2010
Location: Atlanta
 

Re: Who are you eyeing with the Chicago pick? 

Post#216 » by tiderulz » Thu May 20, 2021 2:06 am

ogmagicfan wrote:Moses Moody is my favorite option. He had a .482 FTAR while shooting a good clip from 3 that will translate to the NBA (near 40% before his rough games to end the season.

With a 7 ft wingspan and ability to play the 2 or 3, he should have a high ceiling, and could be a serious scorer in the NBA once he puts it all together. Biggest weakness is creating for others.

Keon Johnson would be my 2nd choice, I love his athletic ability and explosiveness, and if he develops a jump shot, look out.

Both of them are also on the young end compared to other draft prospects. I feel as they have the best chance among the 5-10 range to be players we look back at saying “How did we miss him”... that is if we don’t draft them/they’re already picked

6'5 though. he would be a small SF
ogmagicfan
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,311
And1: 672
Joined: Mar 30, 2014
     

Re: Who are you eyeing with the Chicago pick? 

Post#217 » by ogmagicfan » Thu May 20, 2021 2:23 am

tiderulz wrote:
ogmagicfan wrote:Moses Moody is my favorite option. He had a .482 FTAR while shooting a good clip from 3 that will translate to the NBA (near 40% before his rough games to end the season.

With a 7 ft wingspan and ability to play the 2 or 3, he should have a high ceiling, and could be a serious scorer in the NBA once he puts it all together. Biggest weakness is creating for others.

Keon Johnson would be my 2nd choice, I love his athletic ability and explosiveness, and if he develops a jump shot, look out.

Both of them are also on the young end compared to other draft prospects. I feel as they have the best chance among the 5-10 range to be players we look back at saying “How did we miss him”... that is if we don’t draft them/they’re already picked

6'5 though. he would be a small SF


I’ve only seen him listed at 6’6. The 7 ft wingspan should help makeup for the couple inches. Just needs to add some weight like most young players.
User avatar
RookieStar
RealGM
Posts: 11,637
And1: 2,572
Joined: Jul 01, 2009
 

Re: Who are you eyeing with the Chicago pick? 

Post#218 » by RookieStar » Thu May 20, 2021 2:38 am

ogmagicfan wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
ogmagicfan wrote:Moses Moody is my favorite option. He had a .482 FTAR while shooting a good clip from 3 that will translate to the NBA (near 40% before his rough games to end the season.

With a 7 ft wingspan and ability to play the 2 or 3, he should have a high ceiling, and could be a serious scorer in the NBA once he puts it all together. Biggest weakness is creating for others.

Keon Johnson would be my 2nd choice, I love his athletic ability and explosiveness, and if he develops a jump shot, look out.

Both of them are also on the young end compared to other draft prospects. I feel as they have the best chance among the 5-10 range to be players we look back at saying “How did we miss him”... that is if we don’t draft them/they’re already picked

6'5 though. he would be a small SF


I’ve only seen him listed at 6’6. The 7 ft wingspan should help makeup for the couple inches. Just needs to add some weight like most young players.


I think you guys are not talking about the same players. The 6'5 is probably Keon ( supposedly 6'3-1/2 to 6'4 barefoot) and the 6'6 is supposedly Moody ( some has him.at 6'7 depending on what shoes he is wearing lol )
User avatar
tiderulz
RealGM
Posts: 31,069
And1: 11,537
Joined: Jun 16, 2010
Location: Atlanta
 

Re: Who are you eyeing with the Chicago pick? 

Post#219 » by tiderulz » Thu May 20, 2021 3:24 am

RookieStar wrote:
ogmagicfan wrote:
tiderulz wrote:6'5 though. he would be a small SF


I’ve only seen him listed at 6’6. The 7 ft wingspan should help makeup for the couple inches. Just needs to add some weight like most young players.


I think you guys are not talking about the same players. The 6'5 is probably Keon ( supposedly 6'3-1/2 to 6'4 barefoot) and the 6'6 is supposedly Moody ( some has him.at 6'7 depending on what shoes he is wearing lol )

https://www.nbadraft.net/players/moses-moody/

Strengths: 6’5 wing with a 7-foot wingspan… Good athlete


maybe its 6'6 in shoes.
User avatar
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
Posts: 10,486
And1: 12,309
Joined: Dec 18, 2010
Location: Orlando, FL
 

Re: Who are you eyeing with the Chicago pick? 

Post#220 » by Knightro » Thu May 20, 2021 3:38 am

RookieStar wrote:Isaac and who? Wagner? Chuma? They aren't full-time PFs One is a SF trying to play-up the other is a 3rs string big that can probably give you spot minutes at PF.

That's what I meant by lack of PFs. Its only the oft-injured JI that is our "real" PF.


I know some people will disagree with this, but I think Okeke is a more of an undersized PF who is, unfortunately, a bad rebounder more than he is a natural wing.

I feel comfortable with Isaac as the starting power forward next year and Okeke working as a backup 3/4 playing 20-25 MPG.

Return to Orlando Magic