ImageImageImageImage

Who are you eyeing with the Chicago pick?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,360

Re: Who are you eyeing with the Chicago pick? 

Post#81 » by Knightro » Wed May 12, 2021 12:22 pm

basketballRob wrote:I'd keep Ross, Ennis, and Otto. Get rid of Hall, Iggy, and the second round pick. Plus the salary floor is 109m this year, and I only counted up like 100m in that lineup.

For what it’s worth, the salary floor is a myth for all intents and purposes.

The only thing that happens if you don’t reach the salary floor is the money difference is spread out evenly to the players on the roster.

So like if the floor is 109 and the Magic spend 100, that extra 9M would be split among the 15 players on the roster in 600K increments.

There’s no actual penalty otherwise.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,829

Post#82 » by RookieStar » Wed May 12, 2021 8:40 pm

Knightro wrote:
basketballRob wrote:I'd keep Ross, Ennis, and Otto. Get rid of Hall, Iggy, and the second round pick. Plus the salary floor is 109m this year, and I only counted up like 100m in that lineup.

For what it’s worth, the salary floor is a myth for all intents and purposes.

The only thing that happens if you don’t reach the salary floor is the money difference is spread out evenly to the players on the roster.

So like if the floor is 109 and the Magic spend 100, that extra 9M would be split among the 15 players on the roster in 600K increments.

There’s no actual penalty otherwise.

True. But I think he means we can get a quality player because we have/can afford it? Compared to before the TD when we were handicapped with our existing player's salaries
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Post#83 » by Skin » Wed May 12, 2021 9:22 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
Skin wrote:
Xatticus wrote:
He's a three. Clifford calls him a four and uses him as a four and it doesn't work. He is smaller than everyone he matches up with and he has an 8.3 rebound rate. That's lower than Ennis and Anthony. We've been a really bad rebounding team when he has been on the floor. This shortcoming can be mitigated if we just slide him up one position.

Why is Clifford so dense? Okeke is definitely a 3. Part time-small ball 4..? ...ok.

How Clifford treats Okeke going forward will make or break him. We saw how good he was when he was part of the game plan and we've seen how he disappears when he's not.

To me Okeke is PF, just needs to have good rebounding center next to him. He does not create shots for himself nor he draws many fouls or drives at rim all that much. Only 15% of all his FGA are at rim.

I assume our projected next year' starting 5 ,depending who we draft should be:
Fultz / Cole / Hampton
Harris /Ross / Hampton
drafted player/ FA signing
Isaac / Okeke
Carter/ Bamba (if one of them is not traded )

We have good rebounding Centers. Okeke is a 3 and he needs a good isolation PG and SG next to him. Fultz and Jalen Green (PLEASE). He can play off ball, space the floor, distribute, and provide tough defense.

Fultz / Anthony / Hampton
Green / Hampton / Harris
Okeke / Ross / CHI pick
Isaac / Moritz
Carter / Bamba
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 15,654

Post#84 » by Howard Mass » Thu May 13, 2021 9:10 am

Knightro wrote:How's this for a scenario...

Magic pick: Cade Cunningham
Bulls pick: Franz Wagner
2nd round pick: Joel Ayayi

Resign Moritz Wagner, Ignas Brazdeikis and Donta Hall for the minimum to fill out your third string. Do not resign Ennis, Porter Jr, Randle, Thornwell or Bacon. Punt Ross into someone's cap space for a 2022 1st.

2021-2022 rotation

PG: Markelle Fultz/Cole Anthony/Michael Carter-Williams
SG: Gary Harris/RJ Hampton/Joel Ayayi
SF: Cade Cunningham/Chuma Okeke/Ignas Brazdeikis
PF: Jonathan Isaac/Franz Wagner/Moritz Wagner
C: Wendell Carter/Mo Bamba/Donta Hall

I could deal with it.

I'd love Cade Cunningham and that Lottery luck that would come with it.

I'm undecided on The Bulls pick. Hopefully, it conveys.

As for the high 2nd, with two rookies already coming in, I'd weigh trading down for future 2nds and getting someone who would be more likely to sign outright with Lakeland or on a Two-Way deal.

If the right guy is there at #33 or #34 though, sign him to a team favorable 4 year rookie deal given to high 2nds and see what you got. It's about options.

I think The Magic will at least pick up Bacon's option. Wagner should also return.

I'd be flexible with the other roster spots (Brazdeikis and Hall) and The Magic might take back someone in a Ross trade.

Again, I'm undecided on The Bulls pick and we don't know who will be there with the high 2nd (If it's right player, don't trade down), but this is a solid plan.
R.I.P. Dharam Raghubir (A.K.A. Magnumt)

:beer:
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 15,654

Post#85 » by Howard Mass » Thu May 13, 2021 9:27 am

On Chuma Okeke, I think he will eventually play more 3. I have him slotted as backup PF next year.

As for the salary floor, you can always use the room in between to accumulate some more assets.
R.I.P. Dharam Raghubir (A.K.A. Magnumt)

:beer:
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,092

Post#86 » by yoyojw17 » Thu May 13, 2021 1:58 pm

Howard Mass wrote:On Chuma Okeke, I think he will eventually play more 3. I have him slotted as backup PF next year.

As for the salary floor, you can always use the room in between to accumulate some more assets.

I already slotted him in as the starting 3. lol

I would love to see what the combination of ball movement and defense between a lineup of

Fultz/Harris/Chuma/Isaac/Carter would be.
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Post#87 » by Skin » Thu May 13, 2021 5:30 pm

Howard Mass wrote:On Chuma Okeke, I think he will eventually play more 3. I have him slotted as backup PF next year.

The wide opinions on Chuma have changed. He showed us that he's more than ready to play starters minutes. Even on nights when he didn't have high scoring numbers, he showed that he could provide value on the floor in other areas. That's his ticket. He hits open 3s, plays an unselfish brand of basketball, makes the right reads and plays tough defense. That's a round peg in a round hole type of fit for us.

The only way I don't see him starting is if we draft Cade or Kuminga. ...and even in Kuminga's case, Chuma will force coach to have to make a tough decision.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,829

Post#88 » by RookieStar » Thu May 13, 2021 9:34 pm

Skin wrote:

The wide opinions on Chuma have changed. He showed us that he's more than ready to play starters minutes. Even on nights when he didn't have high scoring numbers, he showed that he could provide value on the floor in other areas. That's his ticket. He hits open 3s, plays an unselfish brand of basketball, makes the right reads and plays tough defense. That's a round peg in a round hole type of fit for us.

The only way I don't see him starting is if we draft Cade or Kuminga. ...and even in Kuminga's case, Chuma will force coach to have to make a tough decision.

Yikes. Another reason to hope we draft Cade over Kuminga then. Next season, I think Chuma will be the starting SF UNLESS we either draft Cade or somehow acquire a star SF through trade/sign. If we draft Suggs/Green then they will star at SG over anyone we have here unless they get outworked at practices.
Gomagic44
Head Coach
And1: 2,187

Post#89 » by Gomagic44 » Fri May 14, 2021 12:40 am

Yes please!
yoyojw17 wrote:

I already slotted him in as the starting 3. lol

I would love to see what the combination of ball movement and defense between a lineup of

Fultz/Harris/Chuma/Isaac/Carter would be.

Sent from my HD1900 using RealGM mobile app
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,971

Post#90 » by MagicMatic » Fri May 14, 2021 12:46 am

If I’m following my personal rule of “don't draft bigs in the lottery unless they are sure-fire elite talent.”

I’d look at these players;

Keon Johnson
Franz Wagner
Corey Kispert
Josh Giddey
Moses Moodey
Tre Mann
James Bouknight

Basically, no thanks to throwback big Vucevic 2.0, that’ll never see minutes, or another PF that will prevent Isaac from finally playing his natural position. Get some wings that can either distribute the ball, create offense, or stretch the floor. Anything else isn’t worth spending their pick on.
nicnac215
Sixth Man
And1: 536

Post#91 » by nicnac215 » Fri May 14, 2021 2:17 am

If our pick lands top 3 we are selecting one of Cade, Green, or Suggs and I would trade Chi pick. If we land 4 and those 3 go top 3 and Mobley drops to us then I pick him 4th and Bouknight with Chi pick or try to trade up to top 3. If our pick isnt top 4 I want to trade for a top 3 pick using however many future 1st it takes
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#92 » by Knightro » Fri May 14, 2021 3:10 am

MagicMatic wrote:Basically, no thanks to throwback big Vucevic 2.0.

If you believe that Sengun’s free throw rate is something that will translate to the next level, then there’s really no concern with him being Vucevic 2.0.

Hell, if Vucevic himself had the ability to get to the FT line like Embiid and Jokic do, he’d have never been traded because he'd be one of the best offensive players in basketball.

A lot of people will say that the main issue with Vucevic was his defense. His defense wasn’t very good, but the Magic were still able to field a few highly ranked defenses with him playing a lot.

The biggest issue with Vucevic was the fact that it was extremely difficult to have an efficient offense with him as the highest usage player. Because despite the fact he was incredibly skilled, he’s simply wasn’t as efficient as other comparably high usage players around the league. And that entirely stemmed from the fact he has always had a minuscule free throw rate.

If Sengun can draw fouls at a high rate in the NBA like he did this year in Turkey, that alone would separate him from Vucevic in a significant way.
MagicMatic
RealGM

Post#93 » by MagicMatic » Fri May 14, 2021 3:17 am

Knightro wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:Basically, no thanks to throwback big Vucevic 2.0.

If you believe that Sengun’s free throw rate is something that will translate to the next level, then there’s really no concern with him being Vucevic 2.0.

Hell, if Vucevic himself had the ability to get to the FT line like Embiid and Jokic do, he’d have never been traded because he'd be one of the best offensive players in basketball.

A lot of people will say that the main issue with Vucevic was his defense. His defense wasn’t very good, but the Magic were still able to field a few highly ranked defenses with him playing a lot.

The biggest issue with Vucevic was the fact that it was extremely difficult to have an efficient offense with him as the highest usage player. Because despite the fact he was incredibly skilled, he’s simply wasn’t as efficient as other comparably high usage players around the league. And that entirely stemmed from the fact he has always had a minuscule free throw rate.

If Sengun can draw fouls at a high rate in the NBA like he did this year in Turkey, that alone would separate him from Vucevic in a significant way.

It’s all about style of play. It’s a lose-lose either way in my opinion.

If he’s even as skilled as Vuc, or even Sabonis, in an ideal scenario is Orlando constructing an offense for the future playing half court basketball with basically 3 7footers that can’t stretch the floor? The answer is no.

If he isn’t that, then is he coming off the bench for WCJr or Isaac? The Bamba pick should be exhibit A to why it’s a stupid idea.

If they want to take a swing on a big in the second round, go bananas.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#94 » by Knightro » Fri May 14, 2021 3:29 am

MagicMatic wrote:It’s all about style of play. It’s a lose-lose either way in my opinion.

If he’s even as skilled as Vuc, or even Sabonis, in an ideal scenario is Orlando constructing an offense for the future playing half court basketball with basically 3 7footers that can’t stretch the floor? The answer is no.

If he isn’t that, then is he coming off the bench for WCJr or Isaac? The Bamba pick should be exhibit A to why it’s a stupid idea.

To me, it’s all about adding the best overall talent. I personally think Sengun can be a much better pro than WCJ and Bamba and would have zero issue trading them both away this summer if Sengun was drafted with the Bulls pick.

Not to mention that in this hypothetical scenario, Sengun is the *second* of two lottery picks made with the first one ideally being a high usage wing/guard like Cunningham/Suggs/Green.

I think a lot of people are really stuck on the idea that some of the younger guys that are already here are locked into rotation spots next year and either can’t or won’t be moved and the Magic have to draft new guys with those existing guys in mind.

I don’t feel that way. Everyone on the roster is replaceable.

If the Magic draft Suggs, I’d move on from Fultz in short order.

If the Magic draft Mobley (who I think is a center) or Sengun, I’d move on from Carter and/or Bamba in short order.
MagicMatic
RealGM

Post#95 » by MagicMatic » Fri May 14, 2021 3:37 am

Knightro wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:It’s all about style of play. It’s a lose-lose either way in my opinion.

To me, it’s all about adding the best overall talent. I personally think Sengun can be a much better pro than WCJ and Bamba and would have zero issue trading them both away this summer if Sengun was drafted with the Bulls pick.

Not to mention that in this hypothetical scenario, Sengun is the *second* of two lottery picks made with the first one ideally being a high usage wing/guard like Cunningham/Suggs/Green.

I think a lot of people are really stuck on the idea that some of the younger guys that are already here are locked into rotation spots next year and either can’t or won’t be moved and the Magic have to draft new guys with those existing guys in mind.

I don’t feel that way. Everyone on the roster is replaceable.

If the Magic draft Suggs, I’d move on from Fultz in short order.

If the Magic draft Mobley (who I think is a center) or Sengun, I’d move on from Carter and/or Bamba in short order.

Yeah, the idea of drafting BPA and waiting 2 years to see if the pick even pans out “evaluating”, and then banking on some hypothetical scenario that Orlando’s assets are moved for equal to greater value... no thanks. pass.

Or you can draft the next Bamba or Bagley overhyped big and get pennies for the dollar. Costly mistake for trading Vucevic and bottoming out.
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 10,013

Post#96 » by KillMonger » Fri May 14, 2021 3:38 am

you can't tell me you can't see the potential here
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#97 » by Knightro » Fri May 14, 2021 3:49 am

MagicMatic wrote:Yeah, the idea of drafting BPA and waiting 2 years to see if the pick even pans out “evaluating”, and then banking on some hypothetical scenario that Orlando’s assets are moved for equal to greater value... no thanks. pass.

Or you can draft the next Bamba or Bagley overhyped big and get pennies for the dollar. Costly mistake for trading Vucevic and bottoming out.

I mean isn’t everyone the Magic could draft a risk? There’s no can’t miss LeBron caliber guys in this draft. Guys like Bouknight have just as much bust potential (and probably more) than guys like Sengun.

I don’t really care at all about getting “equal value” back for Carter or Bamba or any other player on the roster at this point. They’re all just guys. There’s no superstars here. There’s no one we can’t live without. If the Magic picked Sengun, I’d move on from WCJ and/or Bamba (probably both of them candidly) immediately.

If some of the guys here right now end up being positive contributors, great! But this is going to be a long and painful process and I’m not sure people have fully grasped that yet.

The Magic don’t have a sure-fire long term solution at any position right now.

The only focus should be adding the best possible players moving forward regardless of position. Balance the roster with trades as necessary.
MagicMatic
RealGM

Post#98 » by MagicMatic » Fri May 14, 2021 3:57 am

Knightro wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:Yeah, the idea of drafting BPA and waiting 2 years to see if the pick even pans out “evaluating”, and then banking on some hypothetical scenario that Orlando’s assets are moved for equal to greater value... no thanks. pass.

I mean isn’t everyone the Magic could draft a risk? There’s no can’t miss LeBron caliber guys in this draft. Guys like Bouknight have just as much bust potential (and probably more) than guys like Sengun.

I don’t really care at all about getting “equal value” back for Carter or Bamba or any other player on the roster at this point. They’re all just guys. There’s no superstars here. There’s no one we can’t live without. If the Magic picked Sengun, I’d move on from WCJ and/or Bamba (probably both of them candidly) immediately.

If some of the guys here right now end up being positive contributors, great! But this is going to be a long and painful process and I’m not sure people have fully grasped that yet.

The Magic don’t have a sure-fire long term solution at any position right now.

The only focus should be adding the best possible players moving forward regardless of position. Balance the roster with trades as necessary.

You would think it was that easy...

Then you watch lineups of AG,Isaac, and Vucevic for years with a front office believing it was the “best possible talent” they could muster with predictably terrible results. But sure, go ahead and vouch for BPA believing that roster construction turns over quickly and players don’t rot on rosters for years, losing value and accomplishing nothing.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#99 » by Knightro » Fri May 14, 2021 4:23 am

MagicMatic wrote:You would think it was that easy...

Then you watch lineups of AG,Isaac, and Vucevic for years with a front office believing it was the “best possible talent” they could muster with predictably terrible results. But sure, go ahead and vouch for BPA believing that roster construction turns over quickly and players don’t rot on rosters for years, losing value and accomplishing nothing.

I mean for better or worse the circumstances are significantly different now than they were the previous two years.

I don’t think it makes sense to cite how the front office approached roster building the last two years when the goal was clearly to prioritize winning games and making the playoffs over developing young players.

And rosters *can* turn over in an instant if a front office wants them to. The Magic’s front office didn’t change much up the previous two years because ownership really wanted to field at competitive playoff team, so that’s what the front office tried to do.

But now? This is a full blown rebuild. It’s all about talent acquisition above all else. The Magic aren’t going to be good for a while without some significant draft luck.

The one thing the front office hopefully will not do is get attached to young players who aren’t stars. Until this team finds a legitimate building block talent, they should and hopefully will be willing to shuffle everyone else around.
MagicMatic
RealGM

Post#100 » by MagicMatic » Fri May 14, 2021 4:49 am

Knightro wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:You would think it was that easy...

I mean for better or worse the circumstances are significantly different now than they were the previous two years.

I don’t think it makes sense to cite how the front office approached roster building the last two years when the goal was clearly to prioritize winning games and making the playoffs over developing young players.

And rosters *can* turn over in an instant if a front office wants them to. The Magic’s front office didn’t change much up the previous two years because ownership really wanted to field at competitive playoff team, so that’s what the front office tried to do.

But now? This is a full blown rebuild. It’s all about talent acquisition above all else. The Magic aren’t going to be good for a while without some significant draft luck.

The one thing the front office hopefully will not do is get attached to young players who aren’t stars. Until this team finds a legitimate building block talent, they should and hopefully will be willing to shuffle everyone else around.

I’m aware this rebuild will take a long time.

All the more reason to nail the picks and use them on player archetypes that have better chances of becoming elite game-changing talent. Think about what kind of players in this era draw the more talent and are considered “building blocks”.

Hint: it’s not bigs. Even with Jokic or Embiid playing MVP level basketball, nobody is beating down the door to join Philly or Denver. Chances are high that Orlando doesn’t land at the top of the lotto next season with a potentially healthy Isaac, Fultz, and a bunch of tanking teams. Might as well spend the lottery picks on impactful players that we’d never land via trade or free agency.

Unless you’d rather watch a revolving door of the Bacons and Ennis’ of the world while we have a stacked talent front court, contrary to the rest of the league.

Return to Orlando Magic