ImageImageImageImage

Was this Coach Clifford's last game as Magic HC?

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,893

Re: Was this Coach Clifford's last game as Magic HC? 

Post#61 » by drsd » Fri Jun 4, 2021 10:05 am

pepe1991 wrote:People need to have great shooting touch in order to become great shooters. Case and point Ray Allen went from being leathal shooter at college to one of best shooters in nba. Simple case of talent, ambition and hard work.
People who worked with Ray Allen ( Avery Bradley, Brandon Bass, Pierce to name a few... ) did improve their jumpshot, but they never reached Ray Allen's level. Making very simple and strong case of my previous point- in order to be great shooter, you have to have talent that isn't teachable to achive greatness.

And-1

Bad shooters do not become good shooters by taking 10,000 three-ball practice shots a week (just ask Aaron Gordon, who does exactly that). But good shooters do become great shooters from such a practice routine.

That said, I am amazed by Joe Harris, Marcus Morris, and Bobby Portis. These three are lights-out shooters. How?

pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,224

Post#62 » by pepe1991 » Fri Jun 4, 2021 10:41 am

drsd wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:People need to have great shooting touch in order to become great shooters. Case and point Ray Allen went from being leathal shooter at college to one of best shooters in nba. Simple case of talent, ambition and hard work.
People who worked with Ray Allen ( Avery Bradley, Brandon Bass, Pierce to name a few... ) did improve their jumpshot, but they never reached Ray Allen's level. Making very simple and strong case of my previous point- in order to be great shooter, you have to have talent that isn't teachable to achive greatness.

And-1

Bad shooters do not become good shooters by taking 10,000 three-ball practice shots a week (just ask Aaron Gordon, who does exactly that). But good shooters do become great shooters from such a practice routine.

That said, I am amazed by Joe Harris, Marcus Morris, and Bobby Portis. These three are lights-out shooters. How?

Kids have practices near my house, literally takes you 2 min to figure out who has good feel for shooting and who doesn't , depiste most of them being 10 years old and practicing for like 3-8 months.
From personal experience and watching nba for many years, my personal take is that people with bigger hands and longer limbs have too many moving parts to be amazing shooters. There are ofc exceptions to this ( Kawhi or Jeremy Lamb for example ) but most ultra long players with huge hands struggle to shoot ( Giannis, Rondo, Drummond, Gobert, Biyombo...) because it's very hard for their body to keep replicating same shooting motion and without overpalming ball.

Westbrook and Rose have unique issue with their jumpshots, where they simply jump too much when they shoot, that's why their FT percentage compared to 3% is way,way off.
On other side of a spectrum, for example, Bojan Bogdanovic, Jokic & Marc Gasol don't even jump during jumpshot motion or they hardly leave ground with 2 feet most of the time.

Shooting in general is very complicated thing, and just shooting 5000 shots a day won't fix it. If it does, every nba player would turn 30 and be elite shooter, and that simply isn't case.

Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,789

Post#63 » by RookieStar » Fri Jun 4, 2021 10:49 am

pepe1991 wrote:
drsd wrote:

And-1

Kids have practices near my house, literally takes you 2 min to figure out who has good feel for shooting and who doesn't , depiste most of them being 10 years old and practicing for like 3-8 months.
From personal experience and watching nba for many years, my personal take is that people with bigger hands and longer limbs have too many moving parts to be amazing shooters. There are ofc exceptions to this ( Kawhi or Jeremy Lamb for example ) but most ultra long players with huge hands struggle to shoot ( Giannis, Rondo, Drummond, Gobert, Biyombo...) because it's very hard for their body to keep replicating same shooting motion and without overpalming ball.

Westbrook and Rose have unique issue with their jumpshots, where they simply jump too much when they shoot, that's why their FT percentage compared to 3% is way,way off.
On other side of a spectrum, for example, Bojan Bogdanovic, Jokic & Marc Gasol don't even jump during jumpshot motion or they hardly leave ground with 2 feet most of the time.

Shooting in general is very complicated thing, and just shooting 5000 shots a day won't fix it. If it does, every nba player would turn 30 and be elite shooter, and that simply isn't case.

Actually I think its more than that. The problem is how to replicate it in the game regarding your 5k shots a day. Remember when I said during the shootaround/warmups Robin Lopez was draining 10 straight 3s from all over the court without a miss. A teammate said during practices RoLo was supposed to be able to do that all the time but during gametime if he does take a 3 it looks like a pile driver.

I guess some are just born to be great shooters with their form and the way they become great is they practice and make sure no one overtakes them in their advantage. Remember that " hard work beats talent every day?" Well Talent with hard work is probably unbeatable.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,893

Post#64 » by drsd » Fri Jun 4, 2021 11:01 am

RookieStar wrote:Actually I think its more than that. The problem is how to replicate it in the game regarding your 5k shots a day. Remember when I said during the shootaround/warmups Robin Lopez was draining 10 straight 3s from all over the court without a miss. A teammate said during practices RoLo was supposed to be able to do that all the time but during gametime if he does take a 3 it looks like a pile driver.

I guess some are just born to be great shooters with their form and the way they become great is they practice and make sure no one overtakes them in their advantage. Remember that " hard work beats talent every day?" Well Talent with hard work is probably unbeatable.

I recall that in practice, Gordon was reported to be hitting 45% of his three-ball attempts. That is winded and with trainers in his face. But come game time, he just wasn't there.

Non-winded, you can get this from an NBA player.

CZ Eddie
Starter
And1: 726

Post#65 » by CZ Eddie » Sat Jun 5, 2021 3:05 am

I wonder if we should worry less about Clifford getting fired and more about Clifford getting poached by another team?
I mean, he's still under contract I think, but not for long enough that leaving won't be too huge of an issue to get past with our FO to let him go.
Keep your politics out of my sports
BDill012
Senior
And1: 273

Post#66 » by BDill012 » Sat Jun 5, 2021 4:42 pm

Yes it was
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 9,971

Post#67 » by KillMonger » Sat Jun 5, 2021 5:09 pm

sure was LMAO
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,789

Post#68 » by RookieStar » Sat Jun 5, 2021 8:53 pm

We got our answer. Lock this thread up. lol

Return to Orlando Magic