ImageImageImageImage

Around the NBA- 2020/2021 Edition

Moderators: ChosenSavior, UCF, UCFJayBird, Knightro, Howard Mass, SOUL, Def Swami

tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 12,138

Re: Around the NBA- 2020/2021 Edition 

Post#861 » by tiderulz » Wed Sep 1, 2021 1:13 pm

sChOlaRlY_Magi wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
sChOlaRlY_Magi wrote:What a bad situation with Simmons. Someone posted an interesting question that wasn't answered at the time.

"Is there a precedent for a player demanding a trade with 4 years left on their contract?" :o

If there is, I'd like to know the outcome of that!

This could be legit worse than the Dwightmare...

Also where do people think he will end up?

He wants one of the 3 Cali teams, can't see how that happens at this point.

i dont know if it was a demand, or maybe behind the scenes. How many years were on his deal when Melo wanted to leave Denver for NY?

My memory sucks these days, but I don't think he did it publicly where it ended up on the wiretap.

This seems unprecedented, and could lead to some real ish down the road. I don't see owners handing out 150 million dollar contracts, only to have to trade that player the following year...

Then again this was so botched that I kinda get it from Ben's perspective. Kinda, I'm not a primadonna. Yet players only have so many years in the league and usually the 1st 8 are with the team that drafted you.

my memory was bad too. He wanted his full money, but wanted sign and trade. and he was public about being moved.

https://www.slamonline.com/archives/carmelo-anthony-glad-he-forced-a-trade-out-of-denver/
sChOlaRlY_Magi
Sixth Man
And1: 292

Post#862 » by sChOlaRlY_Magi » Wed Sep 1, 2021 1:45 pm

tiderulz wrote:
sChOlaRlY_Magi wrote:
tiderulz wrote:i dont know if it was a demand, or maybe behind the scenes. How many years were on his deal when Melo wanted to leave Denver for NY?

My memory sucks these days, but I don't think he did it publicly where it ended up on the wiretap.

This seems unprecedented, and could lead to some real ish down the road. I don't see owners handing out 150 million dollar contracts, only to have to trade that player the following year...

Then again this was so botched that I kinda get it from Ben's perspective. Kinda, I'm not a primadonna. Yet players only have so many years in the league and usually the 1st 8 are with the team that drafted you.

my memory was bad too. He wanted his full money, but wanted sign and trade. and he was public about being moved.

https://www.slamonline.com/archives/carmelo-anthony-glad-he-forced-a-trade-out-of-denver/

Well damn... Thanks for looking that up. It seems weird to me. I remember Melo coming out of college a year after Lebron, and rumblings that he may be better than him... What a weird trajectory for him since then. I didn't remember the public demand, but I do remember him wasting away in NYK, and then bouncing around as a Journeyman. Whereas Lebron has bounced around by choice and got a Space Jam deal out of it...

I wonder if the public demand gave him some sort of league backlash...

I also know that he faded athletically, but again what a strange juxtaposition between the two of them.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 12,138

Post#863 » by tiderulz » Wed Sep 1, 2021 1:58 pm

sChOlaRlY_Magi wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
sChOlaRlY_Magi wrote:

Well damn... Thanks for looking that up. It seems weird to me. I remember Melo coming out of college a year after Lebron, and rumblings that he may be better than him... What a weird trajectory for him since then. I didn't remember the public demand, but I do remember him wasting away in NYK, and then bouncing around as a Journeyman. Whereas Lebron has bounced around by choice and got a Space Jam deal out of it...

I also know that he faded athletically, but again what a strange juxtaposition between the two of them.

it did. remember, there were rumblings it was his wife Layla that wanted back in NY, for her music and TV career. Also, instead of just waiting and signing with NY, he had to go a year early, which meant NY had to send value back. instead of just adding to that team, they had to subtract value to get him.

The core of the deal involved Danilo Gallinari, Wilson Chandler, Raymond Felton, Timofey Mozgov, a 2014 first-round pick, and a 2016 pick swap going to Denver for Anthony and Chauncey Billups

not earth shattering talent, but it left NY kinda bare
89Magicfan
Junior
And1: 240

Post#864 » by 89Magicfan » Wed Sep 1, 2021 2:28 pm

Creativetran wrote:
89Magicfan wrote:Shocker. Never understood why people wanted to make him the face of the NBA where his entire attitude shows he shouldn’t be.

What are you talking about? As a self proclaimed Lebron hater, I will admit he has been a role model. He doesn't get arrest, doesn't have groupie news, is generally viewed as a good family man.

I think alot of the Lebron hate is geared towards his stance on a lot of social views but as a sports person he's a hella lot better than someone like Jordan.

Sure he’s a family man. I never mentioned him as a bad man. He says a lot about things he knows very little of.
sChOlaRlY_Magi
Sixth Man

Post#865 » by sChOlaRlY_Magi » Wed Sep 1, 2021 9:51 pm

tiderulz wrote:
sChOlaRlY_Magi wrote:
tiderulz wrote:my memory was bad too. He wanted his full money, but wanted sign and trade. and he was public about being moved.

it did. remember, there were rumblings it was his wife Layla that wanted back in NY, for her music and TV career. Also, instead of just waiting and signing with NY, he had to go a year early, which meant NY had to send value back. instead of just adding to that team, they had to subtract value to get him.

The core of the deal involved Danilo Gallinari, Wilson Chandler, Raymond Felton, Timofey Mozgov, a 2014 first-round pick, and a 2016 pick swap going to Denver for Anthony and Chauncey Billups

not earth shattering talent, but it left NY kinda bare

Oh yeah,I remember the first part, but not the trade. Probably because it didn't impact the Magic.

At least until we traded for Mozgov! Lol.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 12,081

Post#866 » by pepe1991 » Thu Sep 2, 2021 10:49 am

Lebron's players agency clownshow is taking new turn, now his buddy Paul wants both Simmons and Maxey out of Philly, even cannecled some community work that Maxey was scheaduled to do for city of Phily.
Prediction day after Vuc, Gordon, Evan departure - most fans who are celebrating birth of new rebuild will be crying how rebuild is painful before 2022-23 season ends.
Date of writeup: March 26th, 2021.
sChOlaRlY_Magi
Sixth Man

Post#867 » by sChOlaRlY_Magi » Fri Sep 3, 2021 7:29 pm

Man, weren't Dunn & Lavine both back to back picks from the Wolves originally? What a juxtaposition on those 2 as well!
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 8,641

Post#868 » by Blue_and_Whte » Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:34 am

Jahill Okafor waived… yet another example of why you don’t make a center a high draft pick anymore
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#869 » by pepe1991 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:37 pm

Blue_and_Whte wrote:Jahill Okafor waived… yet another example of why you don’t make a center a high draft pick anymore

Especially if his purpose on defense is to camp below rim at college level...
In general centers don't work in nba without elite guards, at least vast majority of them.
Prediction day after Vuc, Gordon, Evan departure - most fans who are celebrating birth of new rebuild will be crying how rebuild is painful before 2022-23 season ends.
sChOlaRlY_Magi
Sixth Man

Post#870 » by sChOlaRlY_Magi » Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:02 pm

Whoa, now Marc Gasol as well! Did I just blink and miss his career? I thought he was the younger G. This makes me feel old...
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#871 » by pepe1991 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:05 pm

sChOlaRlY_Magi wrote:Whoa, now Marc Gasol as well! Did I just blink and miss his career? I thought he was the younger G. This makes me feel old...

Pushing 37, HOF guy, as former 48th pick and living in shadow of brother early on. What a career, from mid second round pick being chubby guy, to allstar, DPOY, 2 world cup championship, Olympic silvers .
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 8,641

Post#872 » by Blue_and_Whte » Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:31 am

jonbob17 wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:complete off topic, what are your toughts on Afganistan fiasco and pretty much Seigon 2021 scenario?

The Taliban basically surrendered back in 2001 in order just to survive. The US thought they could just squash the Taliban out completely, and turned down their peace offering. Everything since has been a complete disaster from a US perspective. There was a near zero chance that this would have ended any other way, short of the US sending more troops and becoming the permanent police.

It's a shame and a tragedy, but was a miscalculation in the initial plan and the refusal to negotiate peace just weeks into the war. This is all assuming the US was in the right to be there in the first place, which is a different discussion all together.
If he followed protocol it would’ve been very different. But nobody puts blood on Biden’s hands of course. Blows up a random car full of innocent people, including children, and water bottles and everyone’s good now.
Skybox
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,410

Post#873 » by Skybox » Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:15 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
sChOlaRlY_Magi wrote:Whoa, now Marc Gasol as well! Did I just blink and miss his career? I thought he was the younger G. This makes me feel old...

Pushing 37, HOF guy, as former 48th pick and living in shadow of brother early on. What a career, from mid second round pick being chubby guy, to allstar, DPOY, 2 world cup championship, Olympic silvers .

Greatest irony is that when LAL traded rights to some fat kid named Gasol and more to MEM for P. Gasol, it was universally mocked as "Here we go again, the rich get richer" "the whole thing is rigged" "NBA favors the Lakers", etc...kind of the same vein as when the Chris Paul trade was blocked by the league...noone ever came back and said, "hey Marc is better than Pau - we were wrong".
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#874 » by pepe1991 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:34 pm

Skybox wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:

Greatest irony is that when LAL traded rights to some fat kid named Gasol and more to MEM for P. Gasol, it was universally mocked as "Here we go again, the rich get richer" "the whole thing is rigged" "NBA favors the Lakers", etc...kind of the same vein as when the Chris Paul trade was blocked by the league...noone ever came back and said, "hey Marc is better than Pau - we were wrong".

Imo Pau was way better basketball player tho.
Pau's career stats are not something amazing but his impact, kind a like Duncan's goes beyond counting stats. Guy should have been finals MVP in 2010 and his Eurobasket 2015 is one of most epic- one man shows in basketball.

I like Marc, and he will probably get into HOF eventually, but Pau is first ballot HoF
jonbob17
Rookie
And1: 513

Post#875 » by jonbob17 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:58 pm

Blue_and_Whte wrote:If he followed protocol it would’ve been very different. But nobody puts blood on Biden’s hands of course. Blows up a random car full of innocent people, including children, and water bottles and everyone’s good now.

In fairness, Biden has gotten and continues to get killed over the Afghanistan withdrawal. He has seen his overall approval rating drop from 55% to 45%. That is a huge move in such a short period of time. A nearly 20% change in the matter of weeks.

The NY Times story you referenced is the cautionary tale of US drone strikes, and also an example of fair and independent reporting, which seems to be what you are suggesting is missing. The Pentagon refutes, but we will see where the blame lands, it doesn't sound good for the US.

As for the overall withdrawal, nothing was going to change the outcome. The Afghan security forces outnumbered the Taliban some 4 to 1, and had even larger advantages in both funding and arms. This was an unavoidable **** show, unless the US was willing to police Afghanistan permanently.
My curiosity is more around the Americans and other (visa) eligible folks that chose to stick around after the withdrawal, even after given 18 months advance notice of the plan.
magicman112
Head Coach
And1: 1,879

Post#876 » by magicman112 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:07 pm

Aaron Gordon gets paid

Read on Twitter
?s=19
OrlMagic05
Bench Warmer
And1: 751

Post#877 » by OrlMagic05 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:23 pm

magicman112 wrote:Aaron Gordon gets paid

Read on Twitter
?s=19

I know Denver most likely will match any offer thrown at MPJ, but they are going to have to get creative in order to keep him. With AG's signing they have 126Mil committed without resigning MPJ next summer. Jokic becomes a free agent the following year. I say we thrown a max contract out to MPJ and see if Denver matches.

If we or someone else throws a max contract at MPJ they will have about 137 million dollars committed to 5 players in 2023.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 5,892

Post#878 » by basketballRob » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:38 pm

OrlMagic05 wrote:

Read on Twitter
?s=19

I know Denver most likely will match any offer thrown at MPJ, but they are going to have to get creative in order to keep him. With AG's signing they have 126Mil committed without resigning MPJ next summer. Jokic becomes a free agent the following year. I say we thrown a max contract out to MPJ and see if Denver matches.

If we or someone else throws a max contract at MPJ they will have about 137 million dollars committed to 5 players in 2023.
Denver has always made trades and let players go when they get close to the luxury tax. No way do I think the keep MPJ, Murray, and Jokic next season.

Murray will likely be out for the year. I'd trade for him and pair him with Suggs, if they'd be willing to let him go. We could trade Cole, Fultz, TRoss, and a couple picks for him. We could sit Murray for the year and tank.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM Forums mobile app
OrlMagic05
Bench Warmer
And1: 751

Post#879 » by OrlMagic05 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:40 pm

basketballRob wrote:
OrlMagic05 wrote:

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Denver has always made trades and let players go when they get close to the luxury tax. No way do I think the keep MPJ, Murray, and Jokic next season.

Murray will likely be out for the year. I'd trade for him and pair him with Suggs, if they'd be willing to let him go. We could trade Cole, Fultz, TRoss, and a couple picks for him. We could sit Murray for the year and tank.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM Forums mobile app

I'd love to get MPJ. He is a player that would thrive on this team.
paperboymafia
Analyst
And1: 543

Post#880 » by paperboymafia » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:40 pm

that's a lot of money. his agent is good at his job.

Return to Orlando Magic