ImageImageImageImage

New Mock Draft

Moderators: Knightro, SOUL, Def Swami, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, UCF, ChosenSavior

User avatar
MagicFan101
RealGM
Posts: 10,206
And1: 5,858
Joined: Jul 04, 2012
 

Re: New Mock Draft 

Post#81 » by MagicFan101 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 2:38 am

MagicMatic wrote:
JF5 wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:
100%


I don't like the narratives being spun without full context.

1. Kevin Durant is one of the best offensive players ever and in general.
2. He's playing on arguably the most offensively talented teams ever.
3. Giannis doesn't necessarily have a secondary scorer on his team like Kyrie Irving or Dame Lillard. He has Middleton but he's a 3rd option at best with a whole bunch of other guys who are average scorers.

Also, Joker just won MVP and he's without Jamal Murray who is the teams 2nd Offensive Option. If Murray plays there is a very real threat with Joker as the main guy.

Also, Jokic just defeated a Perimeter Heavy offensive team in Portland with Dame and CJ (With MPJ as his Second Option while missing other key rotations players on a pretty much overhauled roster) and they made the WCF with him as the best player last year.

I agree you need great offensive Wing men to balance out the roster. That's always been the case throughout NBA history. But to say that especially now with guys like Embiid and Jokic being lead guys on contending teams puts this argument to bed.

This argument is similar to how people thought in the 70s/80s that a perimeter guy couldn't be your best player to win a championship. The guys like Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, and Michael Jordan happened. Then also people believed you couldn't win by shooting the 3 ball an insane amount of times. Then Stephen Curry and Klay Thompson happened.

If you choose a perimeter player over a big man because of a trend rather than talent, then you're the same type of guy that wouldn't select Doncic over Ayton because he's "a European player". Its very nearsighted and not logical.


That’s nowhere near the same argument.

Also, I love how the case to spend a top 5 pick on a big comes down to Jokic - pick #41 in 2014. Who by all measures has a skill set the nba has never seen at this level. Not the greatest example when there are more that prove to not be the case. Also, Mobley is nowhere close to Embiid or Jokic as a player.

The argument isn’t about taking “guards that shoot”.

The argument is that the league is run by playmakers, which Orlando has zero. Turk was the last true SF we had that was anywhere capable of that title.

Having a go-to guy that can draw players to Orlando is the goal. That’s never going to happen if they continue to draft bigs and never embrace how the game is played now, whether fans love it or hate it.

The “narrative” has context. You just don’t like it. You simply don’t draft complimentary players if you have the opportunity to draft a go-to primary option with a top 5 pick. There doesn’t even need to be an example to point to with that logic.

Did you not just watch the last 7 years of Orlando featuring a big without a clearly defined primary playmaker?


There is truth to both sides here.

In a vacuum one side is always right. In reality both sides are half right. For Orlando, the other side is more right.

It’s probably a debate best tabled until after the lottery. If we have a top 3 pick and a guaranteed choice of a top guard then we can hopefully forget this. If we have the #4 or 5 pick it becomes interesting. If we sadly fall to #6 or 7 we can have a much more difficult conversation.
Rainwater
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,902
And1: 2,305
Joined: Apr 02, 2017

Re: New Mock Draft 

Post#82 » by Rainwater » Wed Jun 9, 2021 4:30 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:
JF5 wrote:
I don't like the narratives being spun without full context.

1. Kevin Durant is one of the best offensive players ever and in general.
2. He's playing on arguably the most offensively talented teams ever.
3. Giannis doesn't necessarily have a secondary scorer on his team like Kyrie Irving or Dame Lillard. He has Middleton but he's a 3rd option at best with a whole bunch of other guys who are average scorers.

Also, Joker just won MVP and he's without Jamal Murray who is the teams 2nd Offensive Option. If Murray plays there is a very real threat with Joker as the main guy.

Also, Jokic just defeated a Perimeter Heavy offensive team in Portland with Dame and CJ (With MPJ as his Second Option while missing other key rotations players on a pretty much overhauled roster) and they made the WCF with him as the best player last year.

I agree you need great offensive Wing men to balance out the roster. That's always been the case throughout NBA history. But to say that especially now with guys like Embiid and Jokic being lead guys on contending teams puts this argument to bed.

This argument is similar to how people thought in the 70s/80s that a perimeter guy couldn't be your best player to win a championship. The guys like Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, and Michael Jordan happened. Then also people believed you couldn't win by shooting the 3 ball an insane amount of times. Then Stephen Curry and Klay Thompson happened.

If you choose a perimeter player over a big man because of a trend rather than talent, then you're the same type of guy that wouldn't select Doncic over Ayton because he's "a European player". Its very nearsighted and not logical.


That’s nowhere near the same argument.

Also, I love how the case to spend a top 5 pick on a big comes down to Jokic - pick #41 in 2014. Who by all measures has a skill set the nba has never seen at this level. Not the greatest example when there are more that prove to not be the case. Also, Mobley is nowhere close to Embiid or Jokic as a player.

The argument isn’t about taking “guards that shoot”.

The argument is that the league is run by playmakers, which Orlando has zero. Turk was the last true SF we had that was anywhere capable of that title.

Having a go-to guy that can draw players to Orlando is the goal. That’s never going to happen if they continue to draft bigs and never embrace how the game is played now, whether fans love it or hate it.

The “narrative” has context. You just don’t like it. You simply don’t draft complimentary players if you have the opportunity to draft a go-to primary option with a top 5 pick. There doesn’t even need to be an example to point to with that logic.

Did you not just watch the last 7 years of Orlando featuring a big without a clearly defined primary playmaker?


There is truth to both sides here.

In a vacuum one side is always right. In reality both sides are half right. For Orlando, the other side is more right.

It’s probably a debate best tabled until after the lottery. If we have a top 3 pick and a guaranteed choice of a top guard then we can hopefully forget this. If we have the #4 or 5 pick it becomes interesting. If we sadly fall to #6 or 7 we can have a much more difficult conversation.


I agree with you I think both perspectives are correct.
Rainwater
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,902
And1: 2,305
Joined: Apr 02, 2017

Re: New Mock Draft 

Post#83 » by Rainwater » Wed Jun 9, 2021 4:47 pm

thelead wrote:Giannis vs KD is proving, yet again, that elite off the dribble shooting/scoring is king. Mobley cannot be the pick. Mobley is who you draft when you already have Luka or Booker (and the future Luka and Booker are off the table).


I will admit I can't predict the future and the idea of who is the best player in the draft is subjective but what if Mobley is the best player in the draft, you still wouldn't draft him? I know the magic need is a guard, and they do need to select one guard with at least one of their picks, but would you select need over BPA? I would chose BPA.

I have been very clear that the magic need to draft a playmaker; however, I believe there is good chance that Mobley might be the best player in the draft. With a team with no great players should the magic pass up on the best player in the draft to draft a lesser player based off need?
User avatar
MagicFan101
RealGM
Posts: 10,206
And1: 5,858
Joined: Jul 04, 2012
 

Re: New Mock Draft 

Post#84 » by MagicFan101 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 5:03 pm

Rainwater wrote:
thelead wrote:Giannis vs KD is proving, yet again, that elite off the dribble shooting/scoring is king. Mobley cannot be the pick. Mobley is who you draft when you already have Luka or Booker (and the future Luka and Booker are off the table).


I will admit I can't predict the future but what if Mobley is the best player in the draft, you still wouldn't draft him? I know the magic need is a guard, and they do need to select one guard with at least one of their picks, but would you select need over BPA? I would chose BPA.

I have been very clear that the magic need to draft a playmaker; however, I believe there is good chance that Mobley might be the best player in the draft. With a team with no great players should the magic pass up on the best player in the draft to draft a lesser player based off need?


I am always a supporter of BPA > Need and we need to follow that in this draft as well.

Mobley is impressive and belongs in the top 5 above the rest of the class but I don’t see a clear and obvious BPA in him. If one of those 3 guards is available I don’t see a clear reason to pick Mobley over them. Only time will tell and we don’t have that luxury.

BPA will play a larger role with the Chicago pick in my eyes.
ucfmay2000
Sophomore
Posts: 200
And1: 21
Joined: May 31, 2010

Re: New Mock Draft 

Post#85 » by ucfmay2000 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 5:06 pm

Rainwater wrote:
thelead wrote:Giannis vs KD is proving, yet again, that elite off the dribble shooting/scoring is king. Mobley cannot be the pick. Mobley is who you draft when you already have Luka or Booker (and the future Luka and Booker are off the table).


I will admit I can't predict the future but what if Mobley is the best player in the draft, you still wouldn't draft him? I know the magic need is a guard, and they do need to select one guard with at least one of their picks, but would you select need over BPA? I would chose BPA.

I have been very clear that the magic need to draft a playmaker; however, I believe there is good chance that Mobley might be the best player in the draft. With a team with no great players should the magic pass up on the best player in the draft to draft a lesser player based off need?

They would select Mobley if he is still on the board and Cade is gone, then select a guard with Chicago’s pick( Corey Kispert or Moody). Mobley is too good to pass. Mobley and Kispert would be a good draft. However, Cade, Kispert and Luka Garza would be an awesome draft.
Rainwater
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,902
And1: 2,305
Joined: Apr 02, 2017

Re: New Mock Draft 

Post#86 » by Rainwater » Wed Jun 9, 2021 5:12 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:
Rainwater wrote:
thelead wrote:Giannis vs KD is proving, yet again, that elite off the dribble shooting/scoring is king. Mobley cannot be the pick. Mobley is who you draft when you already have Luka or Booker (and the future Luka and Booker are off the table).


I will admit I can't predict the future but what if Mobley is the best player in the draft, you still wouldn't draft him? I know the magic need is a guard, and they do need to select one guard with at least one of their picks, but would you select need over BPA? I would chose BPA.

I have been very clear that the magic need to draft a playmaker; however, I believe there is good chance that Mobley might be the best player in the draft. With a team with no great players should the magic pass up on the best player in the draft to draft a lesser player based off need?


I am always a supporter of BPA > Need and we need to follow that in this draft as well.

Mobley is impressive and belongs in the top 5 above the rest of the class but I don’t see a clear and obvious BPA in him. If one of those 3 guards is available I don’t see a clear reason to pick Mobley over them. Only time will tell and we don’t have that luxury.

BPA will play a larger role with the Chicago pick in my eyes.


I completely agree with you here. I don't think the issue is necessarily picking between a guard and a big but the issue of picking who is going to be the best player and the subjectivity of the matter. In my opinion there is huge gap after Cade and Mobley but for others like yourself that is not the case.
Rainwater
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,902
And1: 2,305
Joined: Apr 02, 2017

Re: New Mock Draft 

Post#87 » by Rainwater » Wed Jun 9, 2021 5:19 pm

ucfmay2000 wrote:
Rainwater wrote:
thelead wrote:Giannis vs KD is proving, yet again, that elite off the dribble shooting/scoring is king. Mobley cannot be the pick. Mobley is who you draft when you already have Luka or Booker (and the future Luka and Booker are off the table).


I will admit I can't predict the future but what if Mobley is the best player in the draft, you still wouldn't draft him? I know the magic need is a guard, and they do need to select one guard with at least one of their picks, but would you select need over BPA? I would chose BPA.

I have been very clear that the magic need to draft a playmaker; however, I believe there is good chance that Mobley might be the best player in the draft. With a team with no great players should the magic pass up on the best player in the draft to draft a lesser player based off need?

They would select Mobley if he is still on the board and Cade is gone, then select a guard with Chicago’s pick( Corey Kispert or Moody). Mobley is too good to pass. Mobley and Kispert would be a good draft. However, Cade, Kispert and Luka Garza would be an awesome draft.


I agree with you. It's Cade, Mobley, than Green in the order of want with the 3rd pick than a guard with 8th.
TDJacksonville
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,134
And1: 213
Joined: Jun 29, 2012
Location: Your girlfriends panties

Re: New Mock Draft 

Post#88 » by TDJacksonville » Wed Jun 9, 2021 5:49 pm

tiderulz wrote:
TDJacksonville wrote:
tiderulz wrote:bleh on Jackson. PF that has zero range. barely 200 pounds at 6'10. not a good use of the #8 pick. gimme practically any of the next 6-7 picks in that mock than Jackson
at 8 I'd go sengun or Kai jones

Sengun doesnt have range either. not saying an absolute requirement, but with him slightly undersized at Center or PF, just an extra skill to have

Length/size isn't everything. If it really mattered Bamba would be an all-star already.

I'm fine with a big man who doesn't have range. U can gradually work into range and if u don't believe me check Marc gasol.
Trailblazers
PG:
SG:
F:
F:
C:
Wzajan89 @ gmail . com
User avatar
thelead
RealGM
Posts: 27,258
And1: 15,090
Joined: Apr 08, 2008
 

Re: New Mock Draft 

Post#89 » by thelead » Wed Jun 9, 2021 8:23 pm

Rainwater wrote:
ucfmay2000 wrote:
Rainwater wrote:
I will admit I can't predict the future but what if Mobley is the best player in the draft, you still wouldn't draft him? I know the magic need is a guard, and they do need to select one guard with at least one of their picks, but would you select need over BPA? I would chose BPA.

I have been very clear that the magic need to draft a playmaker; however, I believe there is good chance that Mobley might be the best player in the draft. With a team with no great players should the magic pass up on the best player in the draft to draft a lesser player based off need?

They would select Mobley if he is still on the board and Cade is gone, then select a guard with Chicago’s pick( Corey Kispert or Moody). Mobley is too good to pass. Mobley and Kispert would be a good draft. However, Cade, Kispert and Luka Garza would be an awesome draft.


I agree with you. It's Cade, Mobley, than Green in the order of want with the 3rd pick than a guard with 8th.


For me, the big board is:

1A: Cade
1B: Green
3A: Suggs
3B: Mobley

My point was more about not taking Mobley at picks 1-3.
Image
User avatar
MagicMatic
Head Coach
Posts: 7,441
And1: 7,436
Joined: May 30, 2016
 

Re: New Mock Draft 

Post#90 » by MagicMatic » Wed Jun 9, 2021 8:58 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:
Rainwater wrote:
thelead wrote:Giannis vs KD is proving, yet again, that elite off the dribble shooting/scoring is king. Mobley cannot be the pick. Mobley is who you draft when you already have Luka or Booker (and the future Luka and Booker are off the table).


I will admit I can't predict the future but what if Mobley is the best player in the draft, you still wouldn't draft him? I know the magic need is a guard, and they do need to select one guard with at least one of their picks, but would you select need over BPA? I would chose BPA.

I have been very clear that the magic need to draft a playmaker; however, I believe there is good chance that Mobley might be the best player in the draft. With a team with no great players should the magic pass up on the best player in the draft to draft a lesser player based off need?


I am always a supporter of BPA > Need and we need to follow that in this draft as well.

Mobley is impressive and belongs in the top 5 above the rest of the class but I don’t see a clear and obvious BPA in him. If one of those 3 guards is available I don’t see a clear reason to pick Mobley over them. Only time will tell and we don’t have that luxury.

BPA will play a larger role with the Chicago pick in my eyes.


I would get the argument if Mobley was considered head and shoulders better above Suggs and Green. Most scouts are all over the place with the rankings after Cade.

Here’s another way to look at it... If Atlanta won the 2018 draft would they now be better off with Ayton or Bagley than Trae or Doncic? Those guys were considered “BPA” right?

If Orlando lands at 4 or 5 then it’s a no brainer. Selecting him over a true playmaker without a consensus? Nah.
User avatar
MagicFan101
RealGM
Posts: 10,206
And1: 5,858
Joined: Jul 04, 2012
 

Re: New Mock Draft 

Post#91 » by MagicFan101 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 9:27 pm

MagicMatic wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:
Rainwater wrote:
I will admit I can't predict the future but what if Mobley is the best player in the draft, you still wouldn't draft him? I know the magic need is a guard, and they do need to select one guard with at least one of their picks, but would you select need over BPA? I would chose BPA.

I have been very clear that the magic need to draft a playmaker; however, I believe there is good chance that Mobley might be the best player in the draft. With a team with no great players should the magic pass up on the best player in the draft to draft a lesser player based off need?


I am always a supporter of BPA > Need and we need to follow that in this draft as well.

Mobley is impressive and belongs in the top 5 above the rest of the class but I don’t see a clear and obvious BPA in him. If one of those 3 guards is available I don’t see a clear reason to pick Mobley over them. Only time will tell and we don’t have that luxury.

BPA will play a larger role with the Chicago pick in my eyes.


I would get the argument if Mobley was considered head and shoulders better above Suggs and Green. Most scouts are all over the place with the rankings after Cade.

Here’s another way to look at it... If Atlanta won the 2018 draft would they now be better off with Ayton or Bagley than Trae or Doncic? Those guys were considered “BPA” right?

If Orlando lands at 4 or 5 then it’s a no brainer. Selecting him over a true playmaker without a consensus? Nah.


Yes, I’m in agreement here.

I do have my own personal favorites of the three but essentially I just want one of Cade, Green or Suggs. I will be thrilled any way you slice it.

If all are off the board I will not be disappointed “settling” for a great talent in Mobley or Kuminga and finding a scoring guard with the Chicago pick.
basketballRob
RealGM
Posts: 13,684
And1: 5,576
Joined: May 05, 2014
     

Re: New Mock Draft 

Post#92 » by basketballRob » Wed Jun 9, 2021 9:33 pm

Josh Christopher or Cameron Thomas could fall to us in the second round, assuming we're at 33.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
User avatar
RookieStar
RealGM
Posts: 11,637
And1: 2,572
Joined: Jul 01, 2009
 

Re: New Mock Draft 

Post#93 » by RookieStar » Wed Jun 9, 2021 9:51 pm

We all have been talking about our 2 FRP ( and rightly we should ) however, our high SRP can be considered a late FRP. What do you guys wanna do with it assuming we use it?

When Cliff was still our coach I think we won't use it for a player, maybe just an asset down the line. However, with a new coach and a total rebuild, why not another rookie right? lol

So who do you want? Position and player?

I prefer an offensive big like someone who shoots from 3 but can also man the inside. I dont need rim-runners. So the Petrusev Garza or Huff is fine.
Magic Mops
Freshman
Posts: 99
And1: 31
Joined: May 24, 2021
     

Re: New Mock Draft 

Post#94 » by Magic Mops » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:34 am

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/2021-nba-mock-draft-round-1-pick-projections-all-30-teams


Newest Mock from nbcsports.com

Magic draft:
Jalen Green with the 3rd pick
Scottie Barnes with the 8th pick

The Front Office could see Barnes as an insurance to Isaac who already had two severe injuries in his career.
Magic Mops
Freshman
Posts: 99
And1: 31
Joined: May 24, 2021
     

Re: New Mock Draft 

Post#95 » by Magic Mops » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:41 am

RookieStar wrote:We all have been talking about our 2 FRP ( and rightly we should ) however, our high SRP can be considered a late FRP. What do you guys wanna do with it assuming we use it?

When Cliff was still our coach I think we won't use it for a player, maybe just an asset down the line. However, with a new coach and a total rebuild, why not another rookie right? lol

So who do you want? Position and player?

I prefer an offensive big like someone who shoots from 3 but can also man the inside. I dont need rim-runners. So the Petrusev Garza or Huff is fine.

I agree with you.
Huff would be good.

I like also Amir Simms,Johnny Juzang, Josh Christopher, Trey Murphy, Jeremiah Robinson-Earl .

There are some interesting prospects.
Magic Mops
Freshman
Posts: 99
And1: 31
Joined: May 24, 2021
     

Re: New Mock Draft 

Post#96 » by Magic Mops » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:12 am

I really like Trey Murphy.
Can shoot and defend 1 to 4.

6f9 Wing with 7f1 wingspan.

Would be a great pick with the 33rd pick but i think he will get drafted in the first round.







Magic Mops
Freshman
Posts: 99
And1: 31
Joined: May 24, 2021
     

Re: New Mock Draft 

Post#97 » by Magic Mops » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:08 pm




Newest Mock from Cbssports

With the 3rd pickthe Magic select Evan Mobley
With the 10th pick the Magic select Keon Johnson
User avatar
KillMonger
RealGM
Posts: 12,325
And1: 6,054
Joined: Oct 13, 2012
     

Re: New Mock Draft 

Post#98 » by KillMonger » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:56 pm

Magic Mops wrote:


Newest Mock from Cbssports

With the 3rd pickthe Magic select Evan Mobley
With the 10th pick the Magic select Keon Johnson

we pass up Jalen Green for Mobley? doubt that....honestly i'm not sure even Detroit would pass up Mobley at 2 for Suggs....i don't see many mocks selecting suggs 2nd overall
Image

FREE MO BAMBA......R.I.P DMX ....... FREE MO BAMBA......R.I.P DMX
Magic Mops
Freshman
Posts: 99
And1: 31
Joined: May 24, 2021
     

Re: New Mock Draft 

Post#99 » by Magic Mops » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:16 pm

KillMonger wrote:
Magic Mops wrote:


Newest Mock from Cbssports

With the 3rd pickthe Magic select Evan Mobley
With the 10th pick the Magic select Keon Johnson

we pass up Jalen Green for Mobley? doubt that....honestly i'm not sure even Detroit would pass up Mobley at 2 for Suggs....i don't see many mocks selecting suggs 2nd overall

If at 3 the choice is between Suggs and Green , i would choose Suggs
yoyojw17
Analyst
Posts: 3,714
And1: 2,475
Joined: Dec 26, 2011
Location: Gainesville,FL
 

Re: New Mock Draft 

Post#100 » by yoyojw17 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:46 pm

Magic Mops wrote:https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/2021-nba-mock-draft-round-1-pick-projections-all-30-teams


Newest Mock from nbcsports.com

Magic draft:
Jalen Green with the 3rd pick
Scottie Barnes with the 8th pick

The Front Office could see Barnes as an insurance to Isaac who already had two severe injuries in his career.

This would be one of my favorite outcomes!

Both would fit in perfectly with our team.

Return to Orlando Magic