ImageImageImageImage

Coaching search

Moderators: Knightro, SOUL, Def Swami, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, UCF, ChosenSavior

User avatar
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
Posts: 23,259
And1: 8,526
Joined: Jun 26, 2009
Location: Orlando, FL.
     

Coaching search 

Post#1 » by Blue_and_Whte » Wed Jun 9, 2021 5:10 pm

I’m not going to go into a deep dive of every candidate. Just wanted to get the conversation going in its own Thread.

David Vanterpool - widely respected around the league. He interviewed with the Magic twice. Lillard and McCoullum both credited him for their development. Known as a development coach.

Terry Stotts- IMO Clifford but on offense. His ability to make in game roster changes is a knock on him, but a good coach.

Pat Delaney - admittedly I don’t know much about him other than he’s Cliffs assistant. Would provide continuity but I think we need a proper overhaul at this point.
User avatar
BDill012
Junior
Posts: 314
And1: 144
Joined: Feb 12, 2019
         

Re: Coaching search 

Post#2 » by BDill012 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 5:21 pm

I like what I have read about Vanterpool.
Nyce_1
RealGM
Posts: 11,406
And1: 5,175
Joined: Jun 29, 2009
Location: Tampa
 

Re: Coaching search 

Post#3 » by Nyce_1 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 5:25 pm

Image
User avatar
drsd
RealGM
Posts: 29,827
And1: 5,313
Joined: Mar 16, 2003
     

Re: Coaching search 

Post#4 » by drsd » Wed Jun 9, 2021 7:34 pm

For perspective in the search time, Frank Vogel was fired around April 12, 2018 and Steve Clifford was hired around May 30, 2018. So a six week search and negotiation time.
User avatar
drsd
RealGM
Posts: 29,827
And1: 5,313
Joined: Mar 16, 2003
     

Re: Coaching search 

Post#5 » by drsd » Wed Jun 9, 2021 7:37 pm



Interesting:

ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski asked Erik Spoelstra and Doc Rivers to name an opposing head coach for whom it was particularly tough to prepare. Both coaches cited Dave Joerger for his creativity and game management. There are competing books on Joerger, who spent three seasons each in Memphis and Sacramento. Either he's a strong tactician with some jagged edges, or he's a basketball savant who was unceremoniously fired by two notoriously dysfunctional front offices. Several executives and veteran head coaches say they're curious to see how Joerger could perform in a more stable situation.
User avatar
drsd
RealGM
Posts: 29,827
And1: 5,313
Joined: Mar 16, 2003
     

Re: Coaching search 

Post#6 » by drsd » Wed Jun 9, 2021 7:40 pm

When Becky Hammon gets a head coaching job, it will be a Orlando-type market that employs her.
GelbeWand09
Senior
Posts: 717
And1: 968
Joined: Apr 17, 2018
       

Re: Coaching search 

Post#7 » by GelbeWand09 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 7:44 pm

I hope we don't choose the next Jacque Vaughn again instead of the next Quin Snyder & Mike Malone. :lol:
User avatar
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
Posts: 23,259
And1: 8,526
Joined: Jun 26, 2009
Location: Orlando, FL.
     

Re: Coaching search 

Post#8 » by Blue_and_Whte » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:41 am

drsd wrote:


Interesting:

ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski asked Erik Spoelstra and Doc Rivers to name an opposing head coach for whom it was particularly tough to prepare. Both coaches cited Dave Joerger for his creativity and game management. There are competing books on Joerger, who spent three seasons each in Memphis and Sacramento. Either he's a strong tactician with some jagged edges, or he's a basketball savant who was unceremoniously fired by two notoriously dysfunctional front offices. Several executives and veteran head coaches say they're curious to see how Joerger could perform in a more stable situation.

I totally forgot about Joerger. That is an interesting take on his coaching style and strength that we haven't seen in any of our recent coaching hires.
I just keep finding positive things about vanterpool as a coach and a mentor to young players. He'll lay the foundation for a strong defense obviously so the guy can coach which is first and foremost the most important thing but if he can be a guy the players can gravitate to and grow their game that would be huge especially for someone like Bamba.
User avatar
drsd
RealGM
Posts: 29,827
And1: 5,313
Joined: Mar 16, 2003
     

Re: Coaching search 

Post#9 » by drsd » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:47 am

Blue_and_Whte wrote:I just keep finding positive things about vanterpool as a coach and a mentor to young players.


Vanterpool's name was rumoured in 2018 as well.

OPP link from 2018: Magic to interview David Vanterpool

..
User avatar
KillMonger
RealGM
Posts: 12,365
And1: 6,089
Joined: Oct 13, 2012
     

Re: Coaching search 

Post#10 » by KillMonger » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:49 am

Vanterpool
Ime Udoka
Brian Shaw
Adrian Griffin
Becky Hammond
Jerry Stackhouse
Kenny Ackitson

Honestly we should end up with someone we should like because i like a lot of these names
Image

FREE MO BAMBA......R.I.P DMX ....... FREE MO BAMBA......R.I.P DMX
User avatar
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
Posts: 23,259
And1: 8,526
Joined: Jun 26, 2009
Location: Orlando, FL.
     

Re: Coaching search 

Post#11 » by Blue_and_Whte » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:09 pm

drsd wrote:
Blue_and_Whte wrote:I just keep finding positive things about vanterpool as a coach and a mentor to young players.


Vanterpool's name was rumoured in 2018 as well.

OPP link from 2018: Magic to interview David Vanterpool

..
yeah he interviewed twice with Orlando I think
User avatar
RookieStar
RealGM
Posts: 11,763
And1: 2,624
Joined: Jul 01, 2009
 

Re: Coaching search 

Post#12 » by RookieStar » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:20 pm

Blue_and_Whte wrote:
drsd wrote:
Blue_and_Whte wrote:I just keep finding positive things about vanterpool as a coach and a mentor to young players.


Vanterpool's name was rumoured in 2018 as well.

OPP link from 2018: Magic to interview David Vanterpool

..
yeah he interviewed twice with Orlando I think


Third time's the charm?
Nyce_1
RealGM
Posts: 11,406
And1: 5,175
Joined: Jun 29, 2009
Location: Tampa
 

Re: Coaching search 

Post#13 » by Nyce_1 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:31 am

give me Atkinson, Vanterpool, or Delaney and i'm straight.
Image
pepe1991
RealGM
Posts: 14,357
And1: 11,766
Joined: Jan 10, 2016
   

Re: Coaching search 

Post#14 » by pepe1991 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:20 am

Sources: Michigan’s Juwan Howard continues to tell NBA teams he's not interested in even a discussion on leaving Ann Arbor. Teams are also calling to gather intel on Memphis coach Penny Hardaway's work. He's going to get offers to interview for openings in this NBA job cycle.
Prediction day after Vuc, Gordon, Evan departure - most fans who are celebrating birth of new rebuild will be crying how rebuild is painful before 2022-23 season ends.
Date of writeup: March 26th, 2021.
ARandomStranger
Sophomore
Posts: 106
And1: 86
Joined: Oct 20, 2017
   

Re: Coaching search 

Post#15 » by ARandomStranger » Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:06 pm

I know I might be in the minority here, but if we are going to get a former player to come coach us I would rather have a guy who has some coaching experience at least an assistant level in the NBA. Armstrong would be a good pick, he has been an assistant coach under Carlisle, who isn't a bad coach, and I wouldn't mind bringing him in.

Then again, I'm all for bringing in any coach that can develop, and help us sift through the roster to find who fits and who doesn't. Either way, we can't just bring in some green guy off the side of the road, those barely pan out, and those that do usually get locked down as long term coaches for the teams that find them. If people are thinking they are going to find a Nurse type coach who is willing to come her, please...we are the worse of the two sunshine state teams and if we land Cade that might just be our only drawing piece. Everyone on this roster is raw or needs some of aspect of their game tweaked. That is not to say the job isn't attractive, but that is all dependent on the draft lottery.

If by some voodoo black magic we get 1 and 5, then this job will be impossible to decline. You would basically be able to have a center piece and a corner stone that you could develop whichever way you want. But I digress, too many variable in this coaching search, and I have no clue who will land the job. The only thing I can say is we need a younger and hungry coach who is willing to motivate and teach. That is all I can really think of.
User avatar
drsd
RealGM
Posts: 29,827
And1: 5,313
Joined: Mar 16, 2003
     

Re: Coaching search 

Post#16 » by drsd » Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:14 pm

ARandomStranger wrote: If by some voodoo black magic we get 1 and 5, .....


It actually would take an act of God, as it is mathematically impossible for Orlando to have the 1 and the 5.
(Orlando's pick could go 5, but if Chicago's does, it does not convey; ir Orlando's pick goes #1, the highest the Bulls pick can be is #8).
TDJacksonville
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,137
And1: 214
Joined: Jun 29, 2012
Location: Your girlfriends panties

Re: Coaching search 

Post#17 » by TDJacksonville » Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:23 am

All in on Becky cuz she's a good coach and as a former professional player has relatability.
I would laugh if we hired Tim Duncan
Trailblazers
PG:
SG:
F:
F:
C:
Wzajan89 @ gmail . com
User avatar
tiderulz
RealGM
Posts: 31,126
And1: 11,565
Joined: Jun 16, 2010
Location: Atlanta
 

Re: Coaching search 

Post#18 » by tiderulz » Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:50 am

ARandomStranger wrote:I know I might be in the minority here, but if we are going to get a former player to come coach us I would rather have a guy who has some coaching experience at least an assistant level in the NBA. Armstrong would be a good pick, he has been an assistant coach under Carlisle, who isn't a bad coach, and I wouldn't mind bringing him in.

Then again, I'm all for bringing in any coach that can develop, and help us sift through the roster to find who fits and who doesn't. Either way, we can't just bring in some green guy off the side of the road, those barely pan out, and those that do usually get locked down as long term coaches for the teams that find them. If people are thinking they are going to find a Nurse type coach who is willing to come her, please...we are the worse of the two sunshine state teams and if we land Cade that might just be our only drawing piece. Everyone on this roster is raw or needs some of aspect of their game tweaked. That is not to say the job isn't attractive, but that is all dependent on the draft lottery.

If by some voodoo black magic we get 1 and 5, then this job will be impossible to decline. You would basically be able to have a center piece and a corner stone that you could develop whichever way you want. But I digress, too many variable in this coaching search, and I have no clue who will land the job. The only thing I can say is we need a younger and hungry coach who is willing to motivate and teach. That is all I can really think of.

we cant get these. Best we can do is #1 and #8.
User avatar
Anti Chalmers
Veteran
Posts: 2,727
And1: 2,459
Joined: Jul 25, 2009
Location: :)
 

Re: Coaching search 

Post#19 » by Anti Chalmers » Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:49 am

I’ll be fine with Hammon. Pop seems to speak highly of her. Rookie HC with a rebuilding young team to grow with. Just hope we don’t hire another Jacque Vaughn.
User avatar
RookieStar
RealGM
Posts: 11,763
And1: 2,624
Joined: Jul 01, 2009
 

Re: Coaching search 

Post#20 » by RookieStar » Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:52 am

Anti Chalmers wrote:I’ll be fine with Hammon. Pop seems to speak highly of her. Rookie HC with a rebuilding young team to grow with. Just hope we don’t hire another Jacque Vaughn.



Wait.. I just realized something. JV and Hammon both came from Pop's coaching tree right?

Return to Orlando Magic