ImageImageImageImage

Coaching Search: 7/8 Update - Magic to hire Jamahl Mosley per Woj

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Flannerz
Pro Prospect
And1: 499

Re: Coaching search 

Post#61 » by Flannerz » Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:16 pm

Would the DeVos really sign off on Jason Kidd, a drink driving wife beater?
MasterGMer
Veteran
And1: 578

Post#62 » by MasterGMer » Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:18 pm

G League coaching experience is just total BS. Lakeland Magic former HC Stan Heath won the G League Championship. But it doesn't make him a great coach. He coached USF before and does he deserve to be a NBA HC?
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,133

Post#63 » by Optimus_Steel » Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:46 pm

Does it matter right now? We are going to end up firing this person in about 3 years.
aka: prorl
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,690

Post#64 » by basketballRob » Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:55 pm

tiderulz wrote:
basketballRob wrote:How about JJ Redick as a coach? I remember before Doc took the job here, he was always eloquent in the way he talked about basketball. I feel the same way about JJ. In football, Gruden always gave me that vibe.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app

is Gruden a good coach though? very debatable
Well he did win a Super Bowl when he was with Tampa.

The Effect
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 2,053

Post#65 » by The Effect » Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:00 pm

MasterGMer wrote:What is wrong with Kidd?

Didnt he leave the nets because he wanted more control of the team away from the GM? I know the Bucks (hammond) hired him away he worked out for a few years there, but is that going to be an issue now with weham?

Either way id be fine with this. hes not my #1 choice, but he has been a .500+ coach for his career
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,090

Post#66 » by yoyojw17 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:06 pm

pretty good listen. Was down for Becky Hammond before... and moreso even now.
The Effect

Post#67 » by The Effect » Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:06 pm

OrlandoMagic wrote:My gut feeling is that Hammon will be our next coach. Something that will give the Magic national attention. Get Orlando buzzing again. For good or bad we would get some major coverage.

I dont think she would take the job nor would the league push for her to get THIS job because this is a total rebuild. Not saying she isnt qualified to rebuild the team, but as the first woman coach in NBA history, i dont think it would be a good idea to go to a total rebuild as it would almost guaranteed to end in failure and thats a bad look for the league. I think the league will want her in somewhere like Portland, where its an established team that can be successful next year.

I get the league doesnt make these coaching choiced, but i think that is a reason why she (or any other woman coach) wouldnt end up in our situation (small market rebuilding team)
Bergmaniac
Head Coach
And1: 9,510

Post#68 » by Bergmaniac » Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:36 pm

For me it's the other way around - being on a rebuilding team with no expectations for success anytime soon would be perfect for the first female coach in the league. If the Magic are bad next year or even two years from now, almost nobody would blame the coach.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,098

Post#69 » by tiderulz » Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:48 pm

basketballRob wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
basketballRob wrote:How about JJ Redick as a coach? I remember before Doc took the job here, he was always eloquent in the way he talked about basketball. I feel the same way about JJ. In football, Gruden always gave me that vibe.

is Gruden a good coach though? very debatable
Well he did win a Super Bowl when he was with Tampa.

playing against the team he just left after coaching them for 4 years. and with the 2002 defense which was one of the best ever.

just saying, he hasnt done much since that one year
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,098

Post#70 » by tiderulz » Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:48 pm

Bergmaniac wrote:For me it's the other way around - being on a rebuilding team with no expectations for success anytime soon would be perfect for the first female coach in the league. If the Magic are bad next year or even two years from now, almost nobody would blame the coach.

she can also help set the culture vs having to fight with established players that may try to tune her out
The Effect

Post#71 » by The Effect » Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:11 pm

Bergmaniac wrote:For me it's the other way around - being on a rebuilding team with no expectations for success anytime soon would be perfect for the first female coach in the league. If the Magic are bad next year or even two years from now, almost nobody would blame the coach.

Maybe, maybe not, but the nba is not going to want the first female coach to fail and will likely want to put her in the best situation possible, because even as a small market rebuilding team, if she gets the job, all eyes will be on her.
Im sure the devos family would love the publicity, but from the league, i could see this being a black eye if she fails

NOW, i will say i dont necessary think she would fail because this team is SO young\inexperienced that she would probably have an easier time getting the players to buy in as opposed to an established team. I know it sounds sexist to say, but it wouldnt surprise me if some of the older guys\vets would tune her out, basically for being a woman, whereas I could see guys like RJ, Cole, Mo, WC all buying in right away. Again, that might be all in my head and could be completely wrong about that (and i really hope i am)

Either way, i expect if she takes a job this year (who knows she might wait for pops to retire and take over the spurs), it will be the celtics or maybe even portland. Brad Stevens has commented before about hoping to see a woman coach very soon in the NBA, and its a perfect situation for her. Big market team with a ton of talent and in position to make a serious run
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,790

Post#72 » by RookieStar » Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:17 pm

magicman112 wrote:
RookieStar wrote:
Anti Chalmers wrote:
Yes he was. JV might be my least favorite coach in our history. Did any player blossomed under him?

Well EP managed to fool a lot of teams into extending his contract due to JV's tutelage. LOL

Seriously though, which coach under Pop's coaching tree were successful? Pop maybe a great coach but maybe those under him leave a lot to be desired? Not really his fault, another legendary coach like Coach K probably only had 1 great disciple in Snyder.. others under him are just so-so.

It's like Belichick's assistants that NFL teams hire away. Not many of them have been successful either.

I know. A legendary coaches does not mean you automatically produce good-great coaches as well.
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,395

Post#73 » by SOUL » Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:20 pm

No Kidd please.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,690

Post#74 » by basketballRob » Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:29 pm

Kidd may have the inside track. I haven't heard of him interviewing anywhere else, and he has a relationship with Hammond.

MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,498

Post#75 » by MagicFan101 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:31 pm

basketballRob wrote:Kidd may have the inside track. I haven't heard of him interviewing anywhere else, and he has a relationship with Hammond.

Uh huh. Do you remember how that relationship went last time?
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,498

Post#76 » by MagicFan101 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:34 pm

tiderulz wrote:

she can also help set the culture vs having to fight with established players that may try to tune her out

I 100% agree with you.

I also see how the system could work against her if the powers at be want it to should things not work out well which is the narrative others are worried about. I feel the league has reached a place where this is not a huge issue but it is something I can’t ignore.
The Effect

Post#77 » by The Effect » Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:35 pm

SOUL wrote:No Kidd please.

Any particular reason?

I mean he took over a pretty young Bucks team, got them on the right track and Giannis credits him for his development?

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2755824-giannis-antetokounmpo-says-jason-kidd-firing-made-him-feel-uncomfortable
Antetokounmpo credited Kidd for being instrumental in his development.

"He was a big part of my success," Antetokounmpo said. "He trusted me, he put the ball in my hands, he motivated me on a daily basis, he pushed me to be great and not to be mediocre.

"I was 19 when he came and he said he was going to put the ball in my hands. The first time I wasn't ready. I told him, 'Coach, I'm not ready to create and make plays for the team.' He said, 'OK, we're going to take our time.' The next year, he put the ball in my hands and I was ready.

"But coming from a guy like Jason Kidd is big. He's going to end up—whatever, if he got fired or not—he's going to end up in the Hall of Fame. Having Jason Kidd as our coach was big."

Also, i could see Kidd having a very positive influence on Cole, RJ and Fultz

When cliff stepped down, Kidd was the first guy i envisioned us hiring (because of the WeHam connection), and with him being the first name mentioned, it wouldnt surprise me if hes the guy
Nyce_1
RealGM
And1: 5,975

Post#78 » by Nyce_1 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:37 pm

MasterGMer wrote:Can't stand Atkinson or Udoka. Hope Magic doesn't hire them. Not exciting at all
What don't you like about them?
The Effect

Post#79 » by The Effect » Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:38 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:
basketballRob wrote:Kidd may have the inside track. I haven't heard of him interviewing anywhere else, and he has a relationship with Hammond.

No?
What happened that im missing?
Hammond hired him and they seemed to have a good working relationship and Hammonds replacement, Jon Horst, is the one that fired him
MasterGMer
Veteran
And1: 578

Post#80 » by MasterGMer » Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:42 pm

The Effect wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:

No?
What happened that im missing?
Hammond hired him and they seemed to have a good working relationship and Hammonds replacement, Jon Horst, is the one that fired him

They were worried about the rumor that Kidd got Hommond zoned out at the Bucks, ultimately leading to MIL firing Hommond.

But that is just the rumor.

If they have a bad relationship, why would the Magic FO interview Kidd again with Hommond being the GM? That is my thinking

Return to Orlando Magic