ImageImageImageImage

Orlando Magic Trade Thread?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

The Effect
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 2,052

Re: Orlando Magic Trade Thread? 

Post#121 » by The Effect » Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:46 pm

zaymon wrote:
MasterGMer wrote:Siakam is on the trading block. Should Magic make a play for him?

You mean 27 y.o Siakam who cant be first or second option on championship contender playing same position as our best young players?

I dont know about that part
Id say he was the 2nd best player on the raptors during their championship (maybe lowry, but i value lowry much lower than most), and he was the the best player on the raptors last year when they finish with the second best record in the NBA (53-19)

I think he could be a great #2 to a championship team, and potentially a lower tier 1 if the supporting cast is elite
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,464

Post#122 » by Skybox » Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:50 pm

I love how Siakim and Ben Simmons are suddenly "undesirable" because they're not perfect.

You mean Siakim whose team went from 2nd best in the East to lottery without him?
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,048

Post#123 » by tiderulz » Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:59 pm

Skybox wrote:I love how Siakim and Ben Simmons are suddenly "undesirable" because they're not perfect.

You mean Siakim whose team went from 2nd best in the East to lottery without him?

its mainly because of their max deals they are signed to
Skybox
RealGM

Post#124 » by Skybox » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:05 pm

tiderulz wrote:
Skybox wrote:I love how Siakim and Ben Simmons are suddenly "undesirable" because they're not perfect.

I get that and that probably makes both undesirable for THIS team at this time, but they're both max players, IMO, even with some recent warts. The tone many take lately is that they're scrubs.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,246

Post#125 » by Bensational » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:18 pm

Agreed. People are getting real snobby about some seriously great players because they’re not scoring leaders. I get it, we’ve been starved of a great scorer for so long now. But if you can get these guys for pennies on the dime jump on it.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,048

Post#126 » by tiderulz » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:18 pm

Skybox wrote:
tiderulz wrote:

I get that and that probably makes both undesirable for THIS team at this time, but they're both max players, IMO, even with some recent warts. The tone many take lately is that they're scrubs.

Im not sure i see either of them as max deal players. Simmons is at least elite on defense, as bad as he is on offense. Siakam i see more in the mid-$20mil range of a player, not $33mil-$38mil over the next 3 years
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,557

Post#127 » by RookieStar » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:41 pm

You meant that team that was "fined" by the league because they were so blatant and didn't know how to stealth tank like us?
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,557

Post#128 » by RookieStar » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:42 pm

tiderulz wrote:

Agreed. With their kind of contracts those should be go-to-scorers not secondary ones.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,788

Post#129 » by drsd » Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:57 am

The Effect wrote:
zaymon wrote:
MasterGMer wrote:Siakam is on the trading block. Should Magic make a play for him?

You mean 27 y.o Siakam who cant be first or second option on championship contender playing same position as our best young players?

Id say he was the 2nd best player on the raptors during their championship (maybe lowry, but i value lowry much lower than most), and he was the the best player on the raptors last year when they finish with the second best record in the NBA (53-19)

I think he could be a great #2 to a championship team, and potentially a lower tier 1 if the supporting cast is elite

Siakam next to Curry, Thompson and Green would be something.

zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,106

Post#130 » by zaymon » Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:52 am

The Effect wrote:
zaymon wrote:

Ok maybe he can be number 2 option. What i wanted to say is that he is not on our timeline and he is not good enough to build around him.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
Skybox
RealGM

Post#131 » by Skybox » Fri Jul 9, 2021 11:51 am

I'm all about upside at pick #5, but at #8 I'd really like something a little more solid-preferably starting with solid 3pt shooting and defensive length...I look at Mikael Bridges as a perfect example.

Would it be possible or desirable to trade for Devin Vassell from San Antonio? He really hasn't gotten off the ground yet and they are well-stocked with young wings. Perhaps they would consider #8 for Vassell (we finally have cap space and/or a large TPE). DV seems like exactly the guy we'd be looking to pick...he's longer than Moody and there's no guarantee Moody will deliver in the NBA or even be there at 8. DV is still very young, so that's not an issue. I'd like to believe he just hasn't gotten his time on stage yet and that's not a reflection on upside. A new defensive and developmentally-focused coach might love a versatile, switchable, long guy that can shoot and defend 1-4, while disrupting passing lanes and sneaky blocks like a slightly smaller Isaac.

Another angle could be Bamba or WCJ straight up for Vassell, considering SAS' roster. We could look at Nerlens Noel or similar FA to platoon with our remaining young center (along with Wagner & some Isaac minutes). I think Hampton, Okeke, and Cole should not be offered and, despite what we've seen so far, I'm team (please wake up) Bamba, so I'd say WCJ would be my offer.

Would POP consider taking another shot at the draft or a solid young C over DV?
MasterGMer
Veteran
And1: 571

Post#132 » by MasterGMer » Fri Jul 9, 2021 6:24 pm

Is Magic interested at trading up?
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,512

Post#133 » by basketballRob » Fri Jul 9, 2021 6:33 pm

drsd wrote:
The Effect wrote:
zaymon wrote:

Siakam next to Curry, Thompson and Green would be something.

Hopefully he can overcome his attitude and torn labrum.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,246

Post#134 » by Bensational » Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:17 am

Would you do this trade:

ORL - #1 pick
DET - #5 + #8 + 2022 pick swap + CHI pick

?

I think a pick swap could be a reasonable move that has an inbuilt safety net. We’d still get a pick in return from another bottom 3 team’s odds. Basically giving up #1 if you get it, but you still have reasonable odds of getting a good pick in return.

Then you get Cade as an early centrepiece for the rebuild at least. Can probably move WCJ for a mid 1st and nab another guard.
The Effect

Post#135 » by The Effect » Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:03 am

Skybox wrote:I'm all about upside at pick #5, but at #8 I'd really like something a little more solid-preferably starting with solid 3pt shooting and defensive length...I look at Mikael Bridges as a perfect example.

Would it be possible or desirable to trade for Devin Vassell from San Antonio? He really hasn't gotten off the ground yet and they are well-stocked with young wings. Perhaps they would consider #8 for Vassell (we finally have cap space and/or a large TPE). DV seems like exactly the guy we'd be looking to pick...he's longer than Moody and there's no guarantee Moody will deliver in the NBA or even be there at 8. DV is still very young, so that's not an issue. I'd like to believe he just hasn't gotten his time on stage yet and that's not a reflection on upside. A new defensive and developmentally-focused coach might love a versatile, switchable, long guy that can shoot and defend 1-4, while disrupting passing lanes and sneaky blocks like a slightly smaller Isaac.

Another angle could be Bamba or WCJ straight up for Vassell, considering SAS' roster. We could look at Nerlens Noel or similar FA to platoon with our remaining young center (along with Wagner & some Isaac minutes). I think Hampton, Okeke, and Cole should not be offered and, despite what we've seen so far, I'm team (please wake up) Bamba, so I'd say WCJ would be my offer.

Vassell didn't even go top 8 in a weaker draft and didn't do anything as a rookie why would we make that trade?

Only player on SA I'd give up 8 for is Murray and with that we would also have to trade a big contract. Like I'd do Harris and 8 for murray
The Effect

Post#136 » by The Effect » Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:07 am

Bensational wrote:Would you do this trade:

ORL - #1 pick

?

I think a pick swap could be a reasonable move that has an inbuilt safety net. We’d still get a pick in return from another bottom 3 team’s odds. Basically giving up #1 if you get it, but you still have reasonable odds of getting a good pick in return.

Then you get Cade as an early centrepiece for the rebuild at least. Can probably move WCJ for a mid 1st and nab another guard.

It's alot to give up, but if you think Cade is prime Grant Hill, then yeah you make that trade (although last time we traded with the pistons for prime Grant Hill.....well let's not go there). I would hate yo give up that much but franchise players are worth it (again if you assume he's a franchise player which I think we all do)

I would probably try to include the denver pick instead of bulls, but whatever works
Nyce_1
RealGM
And1: 5,962

Post#137 » by Nyce_1 » Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:17 am

Bensational wrote:Would you do this trade:

ORL - #1 pick

?

Without hesitation. Those trade-deadline draft assets were acquired to help our future. Cashing in those chips for Cade is an easy yes for me.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#138 » by Skybox » Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:13 pm

The Effect wrote:
Skybox wrote:I'm all about upside at pick #5, but at #8 I'd really like something a little more solid-preferably starting with solid 3pt shooting and defensive length...I look at Mikael Bridges as a perfect example.

Vassell didn't even go top 8 in a weaker draft and didn't do anything as a rookie why would we make that trade?

Only player on SA I'd give up 8 for is Murray and with that we would also have to trade a big contract. Like I'd do Harris and 8 for murray

We have more than enough Murray in Fultz and Hampton. We need some shooting too
Nyce_1
RealGM
And1: 5,962

Post#139 » by Nyce_1 » Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:17 pm

love Vassell and really wish we grabbed him last draft (really thought/hoped we had a deal with PHX and their pick for AG). Spurs are high on him and doubt they trade him this soon.

I'd easily do #8 for him.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#140 » by Skybox » Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:36 pm

Could we pile up enough contracts to acquire John Wall’s 90m/2 yrs? Obviously picks as well to get to #2, but ditching Wall’s deal would be a significant asset for HOU. They should be as patient as us in their rebuild but supposedly their owner may have money issues.

Gary Harris (expiring) is $20
Evan’s TPE is $17
A young asset like Hampton or Okeke (I know, I like them too)
2021 #5
2023 Chicago frp (top 4 protected)
2023 Orlando frp (top 5 protected?)

For 2021 #2

That’s a LOT of financial flexibility given away + a young buck under contract + 3 strong picks

Maybe too much but it’s what you do for a guy you think is a star. Figure we still have #8 and our 2022 pick while we ride out Wall’s deal. I don’t care if we buy him out, perhaps he’d humbly buy into rebuilding his image or maybe he’s a jerk who thinks he’s still a top 5 guy…he’s not the point, on the court at least.

Return to Orlando Magic