ImageImageImageImage

Orlando Magic Trade Thread?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,048

Re: Orlando Magic Trade Thread? 

Post#141 » by tiderulz » Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:46 pm

Skybox wrote:Could we pile up enough contracts to acquire John Wall’s 90m/2 yrs? Obviously picks as well to get to #2, but ditching Wall’s deal would be a significant asset for HOU. They should be as patient as us in their rebuild but supposedly their owner may have money issues.

Gary Harris (expiring) is $20
Evan’s TPE is $17
A young asset like Hampton or Okeke (I know, I like them too)
2021 #5
2023 Chicago frp (top 4 protected)
2023 Orlando frp (top 5 protected?)

For 2021 #2

That’s a LOT of financial flexibility given away + a young buck under contract + 3 strong picks

Maybe too much but it’s what you do for a guy you think is a star. Figure we still have #8 and our 2022 pick while we ride out Wall’s deal. I don’t care if we buy him out, perhaps he’d humbly buy into rebuilding his image or maybe he’s a jerk who thinks he’s still a top 5 guy…he’s not the point, on the court at least.

i dont believe you can combine a TPE with a player for a trade.
Ducklett
Head Coach
And1: 4,937

Post#142 » by Ducklett » Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:13 pm

Nyce_1 wrote:
Skybox wrote:I'm all about upside at pick #5, but at #8 I'd really like something a little more solid-preferably starting with solid 3pt shooting and defensive length...I look at Mikael Bridges as a perfect example.

Would it be possible or desirable to trade for Devin Vassell from San Antonio? He really hasn't gotten off the ground yet and they are well-stocked with young wings. Perhaps they would consider #8 for Vassell (we finally have cap space and/or a large TPE). DV seems like exactly the guy we'd be looking to pick...he's longer than Moody and there's no guarantee Moody will deliver in the NBA or even be there at 8. DV is still very young, so that's not an issue. I'd like to believe he just hasn't gotten his time on stage yet and that's not a reflection on upside. A new defensive and developmentally-focused coach might love a versatile, switchable, long guy that can shoot and defend 1-4, while disrupting passing lanes and sneaky blocks like a slightly smaller Isaac.

Another angle could be Bamba or WCJ straight up for Vassell, considering SAS' roster. We could look at Nerlens Noel or similar FA to platoon with our remaining young center (along with Wagner & some Isaac minutes). I think Hampton, Okeke, and Cole should not be offered and, despite what we've seen so far, I'm team (please wake up) Bamba, so I'd say WCJ would be my offer.

Would POP consider taking another shot at the draft or a solid young C over DV?

love Vassell and really wish we grabbed him last draft (really thought/hoped we had a deal with PHX and their pick for AG). Spurs are high on him and doubt they trade him this soon.

I'd easily do #8 for him.

You know I like you Nyce, but yall FSU fans are on some wild drugs man.
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,498

Post#143 » by MagicFan101 » Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:20 am

Nyce_1
RealGM
And1: 5,962

Post#144 » by Nyce_1 » Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:25 am

Ducklett wrote:
Nyce_1 wrote:
Skybox wrote:I'm all about upside at pick #5, but at #8 I'd really like something a little more solid-preferably starting with solid 3pt shooting and defensive length...I look at Mikael Bridges as a perfect example.

Would it be possible or desirable to trade for Devin Vassell from San Antonio? He really hasn't gotten off the ground yet and they are well-stocked with young wings. Perhaps they would consider #8 for Vassell (we finally have cap space and/or a large TPE). DV seems like exactly the guy we'd be looking to pick...he's longer than Moody and there's no guarantee Moody will deliver in the NBA or even be there at 8. DV is still very young, so that's not an issue. I'd like to believe he just hasn't gotten his time on stage yet and that's not a reflection on upside. A new defensive and developmentally-focused coach might love a versatile, switchable, long guy that can shoot and defend 1-4, while disrupting passing lanes and sneaky blocks like a slightly smaller Isaac.

Another angle could be Bamba or WCJ straight up for Vassell, considering SAS' roster. We could look at Nerlens Noel or similar FA to platoon with our remaining young center (along with Wagner & some Isaac minutes). I think Hampton, Okeke, and Cole should not be offered and, despite what we've seen so far, I'm team (please wake up) Bamba, so I'd say WCJ would be my offer.

love Vassell and really wish we grabbed him last draft (really thought/hoped we had a deal with PHX and their pick for AG). Spurs are high on him and doubt they trade him this soon.

Lol don't do me like that. I was really high (no pun) on Devin last draft. He won't be a star but neither will #8. Vassell is who I hope Moody can be but Moses won't have the elite defensive instincts. 1 year in SAS developmental program also makes him better. Kid is going to be good, man.

If there's a player you think can be star, then take him #8. If you want a player that'll be really really REALLY good, trade for Vassell.

And just to note, me being an alumni never factors into my basketball evaluation of who I want for the Magic. I always want the best player for us, regardless of school.
The Effect
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 2,052

Post#145 » by The Effect » Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:43 am

Ducklett wrote:
Nyce_1 wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

yeah man, every year come draft time...........I almost wish i could just mute FSU fans haha
What was funny was last year everyone hyping Vassell like he was the second coming of Kawhi, and then on draft day, it was actually patrick williams who went high, not vassel
Ducklett
Head Coach
And1: 4,937

Post#146 » by Ducklett » Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:01 am

Nyce_1 wrote:
Ducklett wrote:
Nyce_1 wrote:love Vassell and really wish we grabbed him last draft (really thought/hoped we had a deal with PHX and their pick for AG). Spurs are high on him and doubt they trade him this soon.

Lol don't do me like that. I was really high (no pun) on Devin last draft. He won't be a star but neither will #8. Vassell is who I hope Moody can be but Moses won't have the elite defensive instincts. 1 year in SAS developmental program also makes him better. Kid is going to be good, man.

If there's a player you think can be star, then take him #8. If you want a player that'll be really really REALLY good, trade for Vassell.

And just to note, me being an alumni never factors into my basketball evaluation of who I want for the Magic. I always want the best player for us, regardless of school.

I only (mostly) say you are on drugs because you like the 'Noles over the Gators. In this case, I wouldn't be mad about getting Vassell. I think that 8 is about 8x (pun intended) too much for him. If they want something like 33 + future pick considerations, then I would be happy to bring him along. You are right that he seems like a smart kid and a good defender. I think you are selling Moody pretty short, as all of the scouts and draft heads have him going 7 because GSW would be fools to pass up the best 3+D prospect in the draft (and a lot of the drafts guys think he has the ability to be a 3-level scorer). If Moody falls to 8, you best believe we should and would grab him in a heartbeat and thank the gods he did.

The Effect wrote:
Ducklett wrote:
Nyce_1 wrote:love Vassell and really wish we grabbed him last draft (really thought/hoped we had a deal with PHX and their pick for AG). Spurs are high on him and doubt they trade him this soon.

yeah man, every year come draft time...........I almost wish i could just mute FSU fans haha
What was funny was last year everyone hyping Vassell like he was the second coming of Kawhi, and then on draft day, it was actually patrick williams who went high, not vassel

YOOOO I might trade 8 for Pat Will. Boy is he a lot better than I gave him credit for.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,512

Post#147 » by basketballRob » Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:42 pm

How about TRoss and the 33rd for Jeremy Lamb and the 13th. Lamb is expiring.

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
DiplomaticMagic
Head Coach
And1: 2,411

Post#148 » by DiplomaticMagic » Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:51 pm

basketballRob wrote:How about TRoss and the 33rd for Jeremy Lamb and the 13th. Lamb is expiring.

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app

Sure but why would Indiana do that? Ross isnt 20 picks better than Lamb.
Stop playing Fultz
DiplomaticMagic
Head Coach
And1: 2,411

Post#149 » by DiplomaticMagic » Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:52 pm

I do love this draft but we have to stop talking about trading for more picks. 5 and 8 and possibly 33 is already a lot of rookies. And with all the sophomores we going to have
Stop playing Fultz
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,246

Post#150 » by Bensational » Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:31 am

MIN: Simmons
CLE: Edwards
PHI: Sexton + Beasley

Cleveland then wants a solid forward to go with that back court, meaning Mobley, Kuminga or Barnes. If Green is still there and Mobley gone it might open the door for us to trade up.
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,166

Post#151 » by cedric76 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:16 am

We need to move up and get green
Grayson or Monk? Bring the cheapest

unleash Jett next seaon
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,246

Post#152 » by Bensational » Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:08 am

The conversation we want happening is:

DET: happy to take Cade, but also happy to take Green/Mobley plus other assets (#8).

CLE: Would prefer Cade, but after him they want Kuminga/Barnes.

ORL: We want Cade, we’ll give up 5 (Kuminga/Barnes) and 8. Can include WCJ or Fultz if he tips the scales.
Slim Charless
General Manager
And1: 6,087

Post#153 » by Slim Charless » Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:46 am

The Effect wrote:
Ducklett wrote:

What's going on guys. Suns fan here wandering in on the conversation.

I've had a few different talks with guys in the Suns forum over Mikal. I'm of the opinion that Robert Sarver (our owner) won't green light the kinda big deal that Bridges will want. We're gonna have Booker, CP3 and Ayton all making 30M+ a year and I don't see us paying another 20-30M that Mikal will want.

I think he's an awesome player who is almost the perfect 3 and D in today's game and will likely make an all defense team as soon as next year. He also can hit the 3 and a great clip. You guys seem to need a SF, so I wanted to see what the opinion was for trading him for your #5?

The Suns would be hoping that Suggs is there to be our CP3 replacement and to help carry the 2nd unit when he sits.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,788

Post#154 » by drsd » Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:59 am

Bensational wrote:The conversation we want happening is:

DET: happy to take Cade, but also happy to take Green/Mobley plus other assets (#8).

CLE: Would prefer Cade, but after him they want Kuminga/Barnes.

ORL: We want Cade, we’ll give up 5 (Kuminga/Barnes) and 8. Can include WCJ or Fultz if he tips the scales.

For Cunningham, I suspect Management would trade #5, #8, and Carter without blinking.

basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,512

Post#155 » by basketballRob » Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:02 am

Slim Charless wrote:
The Effect wrote:
Ducklett wrote:

I've had a few different talks with guys in the Suns forum over Mikal. I'm of the opinion that Robert Sarver (our owner) won't green light the kinda big deal that Bridges will want. We're gonna have Booker, CP3 and Ayton all making 30M+ a year and I don't see us paying another 20-30M that Mikal will want.

I think he's an awesome player who is almost the perfect 3 and D in today's game and will likely make an all defense team as soon as next year. He also can hit the 3 and a great clip. You guys seem to need a SF, so I wanted to see what the opinion was for trading him for your #5?

The Suns would be hoping that Suggs is there to be our CP3 replacement and to help carry the 2nd unit when he sits.
Bridges is a good player and his stock is at an all time high right now, but no I wouldn't do that trade. We already have Okeke who's numbers were pretty comparable to Bridges at 22.

https://stathead.com/basketball/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&player_id1=okekech01&p1yrfrom=2021&player_id2=bridgmi01&p2yrfrom=2019
Nyce_1
RealGM
And1: 5,962

Post#156 » by Nyce_1 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:19 pm

Slim Charless wrote:
The Effect wrote:
Ducklett wrote:

Loved Mikal his draft and a few of us wanted to draft him over Bamba that summer. I counter your offer with #8?

with the dilemma you guys are in, any talks about letting CP leave and maybe rolling with Payne and keeping Mikal?
drsd
RealGM

Post#157 » by drsd » Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:03 pm

tiderulz wrote:
Skybox wrote:Could we pile up enough contracts to acquire John Wall’s 90m/2 yrs? Obviously picks as well to get to #2, but ditching Wall’s deal would be a significant asset for HOU. They should be as patient as us in their rebuild but supposedly their owner may have money issues.

Evan’s TPE is $17
2021 #5

For 2021 #2

That’s a LOT of financial flexibility given away + a young buck under contract + 3 strong picks

Maybe too much but it’s what you do for a guy you think is a star. Figure we still have #8 and our 2022 pick while we ride out Wall’s deal. I don’t care if we buy him out, perhaps he’d humbly buy into rebuilding his image or maybe he’s a jerk who thinks he’s still a top 5 guy…he’s not the point, on the court at least.

Yes and no.

A TPE cannot be combined with another player's salary in a trade. But linked trades can be allowed. For example TPE for x where that is contingent on the separate trade of player-y for z.

In the above example, this does not work, as Hampton or Okeke and Harris is not bought for Wall. What does work is Ross and Harris for Wall, and then the TPE could be for Eric Gordon; and those two trades could be linked. All the draft picks could be added to either trade.

p.s. I am not advocating this.

Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,464

Post#158 » by Skybox » Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:52 pm

drsd wrote:
tiderulz wrote:

Evan’s TPE is $17
2021 #5

For 2021 #2

Yes and no.

A TPE cannot be combined with another player's salary in a trade. But linked trades can be allowed. For example TPE for x where that is contingent on the separate trade of player-y for z.

In the above example, this does not work, as Hampton or Okeke and Harris is not bought for Wall. What does work is Ross and Harris for Wall, and then the TPE could be for Eric Gordon; and those two trades could be linked. All the draft picks could be added to either trade.

p.s. I am not advocating this.

Makes sense and me neither. Wall, in particular, crushes your cap for two years AND is likelier to be a locker room conflict (although I wouldn’t blame him for wanting a big role). If we took Wall, I wouldn’t want to throw too many picks along with it. I really want Green (or Cade) and a HOU trade would lock us in.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,464

Post#159 » by Skybox » Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:13 pm

Thinking realistically about what you hope for at 8…name a 1 or 2 year vet you’d trade for. Perhaps a guy who is suddenly buried on the depth chart or just hasn’t busted out yet, for whatever reason. I like a somewhat proven commodity if I can over a 18 or 19 yr old project…obviously, there are limits to the compromise but…

If SGA is in any way available, I’d throw a bunch of picks - he’s a star.
I’d happily trade 8 for NAW
I’d take a hard look at Vassell for 8
I’d send 8 for Saddiq Bey in a second if DET had a wild hair
I’d do some investigation into Cam Reddish for 8 (my Biyombo playoff crush :wink: )
Is there more to Nesmith than BOS has seen? What could they add?

Any others in this category?
Remember, you can value additional year(s) of rookie scale but dont undervalue someone else spending a year or two of breaking these babies into the NBA reality- they might be ready to bloom.
drsd
RealGM

Post#160 » by drsd » Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:40 pm

Skybox wrote:Thinking realistically about what you hope for at 8…name a 1 or 2 year vet you’d trade for. Perhaps a guy who is suddenly buried on the depth chart or just hasn’t busted out yet, for whatever reason. I like a somewhat proven commodity if I can over a 18 or 19 yr old project…obviously, there are limits to the compromise but…

If SGA is in any way available, I’d throw a bunch of picks - he’s a star.
I’d happily trade 8 for NAW
I’d take a hard look at Vassell for 8
I’d send 8 for Saddiq Bey in a second if DET had a wild hair
I’d do some investigation into Cam Reddish for 8 (my Biyombo playoff crush :wink: )
Is there more to Nesmith than BOS has seen? What could they add?

Any others in this category?
Remember, you can value additional year(s) of rookie scale but dont undervalue someone else spending a year or two of breaking these babies into the NBA reality- they might be ready to bloom.

If the Magic does not draft a shooter with #8, I am pleased if the tream trades for a shooter with #8.

Orlando needs reliable scoring from behind the arc off of the bench. There must be more than just Ross there.

Return to Orlando Magic