ImageImageImageImage

Is RJ Hampton 6'7 now???

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

jvdas
Sophomore
And1: 88

Re: Is RJ Hampton 6'7 now??? 

Post#21 » by jvdas » Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:23 pm

jonbob17 wrote:
jvdas wrote:Even Matt Lloyd confirmed, that RJ looks like he grew a lot. So there seems to be at least something serious behind it, beside the usual offseason bs talk.

Let's see, but if really grew close to a 6'7 height, then for now he is the player on the squad with the best potential of being a real difference maker. His speed and athleticism is really good, if his 3 pointer gets more consistent, this man could be a real weapon. We will see.

Otherwise he will be Derrick Jones 2.0, high athleticism guy with an awful jumper, like 9/10 Magic players.

And Steve Clifford said Markelle was shooting 3s like he did at Washington. These guys are not going to go out and publicly embarrass these kids.

I am with you, though, if he is even 6'5, he could be dominant with his collection of skills. The more exciting thing to me was Matt Lloyd talking about his shooting, because we know he has been working hard last offseason and this one with Mike Miller. Eventually that hard work pays off.

Yeah I remember that Clifford quote, which threw Markelle under the bus in the end, cause his shot mechanics looked worse then before. He was a good Midrange shooter, silky smooth, but when the season started he was throwing bricks. Don't even need to talk about the 3, those mechanics looked off all the time.

Let's see if there is a new official measurement, I'm really curious about his actual height right now.
Catledge
Starter
And1: 833

Post#22 » by Catledge » Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:42 pm

Don't steroids sometimes make you grow an inch or two? Am I right about that being a thing?
Nyce_1
RealGM
And1: 5,975

Post#23 » by Nyce_1 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:18 pm

that RJ trade just looks better and better.

Thanks Denver.
Kent
Veteran
And1: 1,172

Post#24 » by Kent » Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:24 am

I grew 2 inches from 18 to 20. It's not crazy.

Whether it's true or not won't be a source of disappointment from this Magic fan.

A lot to still look forward to with RJ going forward.
Ryan Anderson = Pat Garrity 10.0
-LBPTarHeel27
jonbob17
Analyst
And1: 1,317

Post#25 » by jonbob17 » Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:51 pm

Catledge wrote:Don't steroids sometimes make you grow an inch or two? Am I right about that being a thing?

I think people have suggested that Human Growth hormone (HGH) has made guys taller. It doesn't. In the case of Barry Bonds it may have made his skull thicker. maybe he gained a half an inch. Kidding, mostly, it does add bone, so guys feet and hands get bigger, and Barry Bonds did end up with a giant melon

HGH does help children grow taller
Bakomagic
Bench Warmer
And1: 893

Post#26 » by Bakomagic » Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:42 pm

Adding some fuel to the fire.

RJ’s skills trainer Tyler Relph “Hoop Dynamic” is heard at 1min 24 seconds of the video commenting after RJ finished a few of the skill drills with dunks saying “He got taller though, he got taller”

jezzerinho
Starter
And1: 1,499

Post#27 » by jezzerinho » Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:19 am

The guy he's playing with, JaKobe Walter, is maybe half an inch shorter than RJ and he's listed at 6'5" (probably generously), so if RJ has grown it's prob an inch at most. All helps!
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,788

Post#28 » by RookieStar » Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:43 pm

jezzerinho wrote:The guy he's playing with, JaKobe Walter, is maybe half an inch shorter than RJ and he's listed at 6'5" (probably generously), so if RJ has grown it's prob an inch at most. All helps!

First: wow... Kobe...

Second : yup I dunno how accurate that is but he is listed at 6'5 and yes RJ is taller than him in some angles.

Third : Alright Magic fans, do your CSI thingy and give me your conclusions!!
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,090

Post#29 » by yoyojw17 » Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:58 pm

Bakomagic wrote:Adding some fuel to the fire.

RJ’s skills trainer Tyler Relph “Hoop Dynamic” is heard at 1min 24 seconds of the video commenting after RJ finished a few of the skill drills with dunks saying “He got taller though, he got taller”

"What the...." to that reverse dunk at the 1:57 mark. RJ looked like he defied the laws of physics for a sec. lol Happy with what i'm seeing and hearing. We may have already been blessed with our SG of the future.
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#30 » by RookieStar » Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:05 pm

yoyojw17 wrote:

"What the...." to that reverse dunk at the 1:57 mark. RJ looked like he defied the laws of physics for a sec. lol Happy with what i'm seeing and hearing. We may have already been blessed with our SG of the future.

Yes.. that's why I kept saying that before the tank moves, I was sooo high on Bouknight but with RJ.. it cooled on me and I wouldn't say no to Wagner. IF RJ is even "just" 6'6 in shoes then he is the SG of the future for us.
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant

Post#31 » by yoyojw17 » Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:11 pm

RookieStar wrote:
yoyojw17 wrote:

Yes.. that's why I kept saying that before the tank moves, I was sooo high on Bouknight but with RJ.. it cooled on me and I wouldn't say no to Wagner. IF RJ is even "just" 6'6 in shoes then he is the SG of the future for us.

Same.... makes me open for them to roll the dice for the best possible prospects available at 5 and 8.... swing for the fences. Whether that's pg... sg.... sf.... pf... c!

and at the 10:14 mark... yeah... he looks 1-2 inches taller than Ja'Kobe.
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#32 » by RookieStar » Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:25 pm

That is assuming Jakobe stat is accurate and he really is 6'5 lol.
swarlesbarkley
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,153

Post#33 » by swarlesbarkley » Thu Aug 5, 2021 1:43 pm

From WCJ's draft night video, RJ looks taller than WCJ:
Last Guardian
RealGM
And1: 3,874

Post#34 » by Last Guardian » Thu Aug 5, 2021 2:13 pm

Tough to tell with an exact height but it is clear he is taller than he was last season. I'm guessing he is 6'5.5 to 6'6 in shoes.

It's funny he is the guy I least pay attention to and he might have best chance to be the star of the team.
bigdogdylan5
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,069

Post#35 » by bigdogdylan5 » Thu Aug 5, 2021 2:29 pm

Last Guardian wrote:Tough to tell with an exact height but it is clear he is taller than he was last season. I'm guessing he is 6'5.5 to 6'6 in shoes.

It's funny he is the guy I least pay attention to and he might have best chance to be the star of the team.

He is listed as 6'-6" on the summer league roster. That is probably pretty accurate.
Fine print disclaimer for Fultz takes:
I am high on Markelle Fultz. Yes I understand he is not perfect and needs to shoot more and better and turn the ball over less. I would really like to see him play one more year.
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant

Post#36 » by yoyojw17 » Thu Aug 5, 2021 2:29 pm

Last Guardian wrote:Tough to tell with an exact height but it is clear he is taller than he was last season. I'm guessing he is 6'5.5 to 6'6 in shoes.

No joke.... i wouldn't be surprised if he is our starting SG for years to come.
CarraT
Senior
And1: 178

Post#37 » by CarraT » Thu Aug 5, 2021 2:34 pm

I dont know. Kind of reminds me of all the hype we gave to Mo Harkless or Andrew Nicholson as our "future All-Stars".
Right now he hasnt even scored 20 point once in a game.
Im not saying he wont be good, but i just don´t get the hype
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,140

Post#38 » by zaymon » Thu Aug 5, 2021 2:35 pm

yoyojw17 wrote:

No joke.... i wouldn't be surprised if he is our starting SG for years to come.

Its funny they are close friends becouse Suggs + Hampton can really work together especially after RJ growth spurt.
Hampton can create initial opening with his blazing speed, and Suggs can attack rotating defense with his mature decision making. With their athletecism being around league average 3 point shooters should be enough.
Defensively its quite big backcourt rotation with one quicker and one stronger guard. Cole as a prototype fits better as spark of the bench.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
jonbob17
Analyst
And1: 1,317

Post#39 » by jonbob17 » Thu Aug 5, 2021 2:42 pm

CarraT wrote:I dont know. Kind of reminds me of all the hype we gave to Mo Harkless or Andrew Nicholson as our "future All-Stars".

The hype is the athleticism, size and skillset. Those are combinations that are generally required to be a really good scorer/initiator in the NBA. Currently, RJ has a lot of holes: defense, shooting, decision making, but most young guys are terrible (compared to veteran nba players) in plenty of categories. You don't come into the NBA as a finished product at 19, you continuously get better until you reach your peak. He's by no means a good player right now, i doubt he will be any good this year, but he has a lot of things going for him and his development.
Last Guardian
RealGM
And1: 3,874

Post#40 » by Last Guardian » Thu Aug 5, 2021 2:48 pm

CarraT wrote:I dont know. Kind of reminds me of all the hype we gave to Mo Harkless or Andrew Nicholson as our "future All-Stars".

He was a rookie last season and really didn't play much until he was traded here.

He started off playing out of control but he slowed down a bit and showed he's comfortable attacking and making plays and made progress as a shooter. He's hyper athletic....and now he's taller!

Return to Orlando Magic