ImageImageImageImage

Official Spec Thread: Heart and Hustle Magic 2.0

Moderators: ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami

Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,705

Re: Official Spec Thread: Heart and Hustle Magic 2.0 

Post#1461 » by Knightro » Sat Jan 8, 2022 4:34 pm

pepe1991 wrote:Unpopular opinion: Jabari Smith is overrated prospect.

He is 6'10 jumpshooter in fashion of Markannen, Galinari or post injuries Porzingis, just isn't white to be pushed into that box.
He is mediocre rebounder ( last 2 games he collected 5 rebounds total ) he isn't much of a passer and he isn't really all that skilled once he puts ball on the floor, his team just lets him cross half court with ball for gimmicky "draft stock" reasons, not because there is really any value in it.
But he is elite catch& shoot shooter who from time to time can get his own shot, but it's fry cry from players who actually create offense for themselfs.

There are some ludacris KD, GIannis comparisons flying around and they simply have no ground in reality.

He will probably be very good shooter in nba. I'm not sure what else execlly he will do at elite level where he should be 1# pick.

Or it feeds right into narrative of not so strong draft, where teams decide between self centric- me first- Banchero, 195 pounds center and 3 and D PF.

I don't love Smith's ball handling either and I do think that is the main thing that is keeping him from being an elite prospect. He's certainly nowhere close to a Giannis/Durant level player without that ability to get all the way to the rim and either finish or get fouled.

That said...

I do think there's some real passing/creation chops in there already and I think there's legitimate defensive potential too.

Smith is at 4.4 AST/100, 3.2 STL/100, 1.8 BLK/100 with a 15.5 AST%, 3.2 STL%, 3.6 BLK%. Those are all very good numbers for a power forward, especially one who is going to be 18 his entire freshman season of college.

If he's Markkanen offensively with way better passing and defense, that's a really good player.
BCS
Sixth Man
And1: 683

Post#1462 » by BCS » Sat Jan 8, 2022 4:54 pm

All young players have their flaws. The reason Jabari is ranked so high is his upside and potential similar to Chet.

In regards to this draft everything can change within the next few months that is how unclear this draft is but there are at least a good solid 8 or more prospects with potential. It will be up to the FO to figure out who that is.

I personally at this moment have Jabari #1 for the reasons I mentioned but still want to see more before I would draft him #1. At this moment I like Mathurin the best for our team. If we get a top 3 pick I would be very open to trade down for example with the Pacers or OKC if we can end up with Mathurin and more assets. But that is now, ask me after college season ends and my views might be completely different.

Sent from my SM-A716U using RealGM mobile app
PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,456

Post#1463 » by PrimeThyme » Sat Jan 8, 2022 5:22 pm

Knightro wrote:If he's Markkanen offensively with way better passing and defense, that's a really good player.

I think he’s an infinitely better shooter than lauri. The problem with markkanen is his college shooting percentages were deceiving. In the NBA he’s been a high volume inefficient shooter his entire career. Even this year he’s shooting 30% from 3.

Smith is one of the best shooters at 6’10 I’ve ever seen. I’m confident he will be well above average in the NBA.

The handle definitely limits what he’s able to do at this stage, but I think the high end comp for him is somebody like Paul George who had many of the same questions/limitations offensively coming out of Fresno state and just worked relentlessly to improve them.

Personally, I see a lot of Rashard Lewis && if that’s your floor you are still ecstatic to get a player like that. This kid is just a straight up better shooter than the other names I’ve seen mentioned.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#1464 » by Knightro » Sat Jan 8, 2022 6:14 pm

PrimeThyme wrote:I think he’s an infinitely better shooter than lauri. The problem with markkanen is his college shooting percentages were deceiving. In the NBA he’s been a high volume inefficient shooter his entire career. Even this year he’s shooting 30% from 3.

Smith is one of the best shooters at 6’10 I’ve ever seen. I’m confident he will be well above average in the NBA.

The handle definitely limits what he’s able to do at this stage, but I think the high end comp for him is somebody like Paul George who had many of the same questions/limitations offensively coming out of Fresno state and just worked relentlessly to improve them.

Personally, I see a lot of Rashard Lewis && if that’s your floor you are still ecstatic to get a player like that. This kid is just a straight up better shooter than the other names I’ve seen mentioned.

I think it's a little unfair to say Markkanen has been an inefficient shooter his entire career. He was a 37% 3PT, 85% FT guy for Chicago before this season. 40% 3PT just last year.

I dunno how much I would read into this year's struggles for Markkanen either. He's on a new team in a new role. He had COVID with symptoms and missed 3 weeks.

All that said, I agree with you on Smith's shooting ability. It looks like it's really going to be a high end skill for him at the next level.

I just think you could make the case that play style offensive that Smith and Markkanen are pretty similar. A lot of jumpers. Not a lot of shots at the rim or free throw attempts.

But Smith looks like he's an even better shooter and appears to clearly more ability and willingness to pass and create shots for other than Lauri ever did.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#1465 » by Knightro » Sat Jan 8, 2022 6:15 pm

Weltman and Hammond calling in the code red for tonight's game!

Read on Twitter
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,188

Post#1466 » by zaymon » Sat Jan 8, 2022 6:47 pm

PrimeThyme wrote:
Knightro wrote:If he's Markkanen offensively with way better passing and defense, that's a really good player.

I think he’s an infinitely better shooter than lauri. The problem with markkanen is his college shooting percentages were deceiving. In the NBA he’s been a high volume inefficient shooter his entire career. Even this year he’s shooting 30% from 3.

I dont see Lewis fluidity in Smith but if that comp is true we could have finals Magic reincarnated

Anthony (Nelson)/ whatever rookie (Lee)/ Wagner (Turkoglu)/ Smith (Lewis)/ Carter ( Howard lol but both 6'10)
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,188

Post#1467 » by zaymon » Sat Jan 8, 2022 6:50 pm

Knightro wrote:Weltman and Hammond calling in the code red for tonight's game!

Read on Twitter

What a blatant tank move, Weltman is not hiding anymore. I feel a little bit disgusted but also a little bit pleased....
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
The Effect
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 2,053

Post#1468 » by The Effect » Sat Jan 8, 2022 7:21 pm

zaymon wrote:
PrimeThyme wrote:

I dont see Lewis fluidity in Smith but if that comp is true we could have finals Magic reincarnated

Anthony (Nelson)/ whatever rookie (Lee)/ Wagner (Turkoglu)/ Smith (Lewis)/ Carter ( Howard lol but both 6'10)

Suggs=lee
PrimeThyme
RealGM

Post#1469 » by PrimeThyme » Sat Jan 8, 2022 7:32 pm

Knightro wrote:I just think you could make the case that play style offensive that Smith and Markkanen are pretty similar. A lot of jumpers. Not a lot of shots at the rim or free throw attempts.

Yeah, I mean he's shot under league average from 3 (37%) 4/5 seasons of his career so far. I certainly don't mean to say that he's a bad 3 pt shooter, but I think there is this perception that he's a great one and his percentages just don't line up with that. That's more what I was attempting to get at.

I think Jabari's rim running and pull-up mid-range game separates him pretty significantly offensively from Markkanen as well. I see the comparison in terms of the volume of jumpers and lack of shots at the rim, but the mid-range is why I see much more sweet Lew than I do Lauri. I also think he will be a well above average shooter from 10-26 feet.

Regardless, it seems like we are both high on him as a prospect. Where is he on your board atm?
jvdas
Sophomore
And1: 89

Post#1470 » by jvdas » Sat Jan 8, 2022 7:42 pm

so we go for frazier/harris/okeke/schofield/gillespie? worst lindup ever.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,895

Post#1471 » by RookieStar » Sat Jan 8, 2022 8:56 pm

Guys, if last draft ( and previous ) taught us anything its that expect a player on the 4-9 range that we arw looking at to drop to the 12-18 range and those players in the 8-15 right now cpuld activate level 9000 in the Ncaat and go to top 4-6
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 10,114

Post#1472 » by KillMonger » Sat Jan 8, 2022 9:17 pm

Not official, I believe CBS sports injury report

Sent from my KB2003 using RealGM mobile app
MasterGMer
Veteran
And1: 591

Post#1473 » by MasterGMer » Sat Jan 8, 2022 9:35 pm

Jabari Smith reminds me of LaMarcus Aldridge a little bit. Great mid range game with limited ball handling skills. But I think Chet or Banchero has a higher ceiling than him. And I prefer Banchero
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,872

Post#1474 » by basketballRob » Sat Jan 8, 2022 10:57 pm

Franz is playing.

Read on Twitter
?t=5XstfGC2u23FYwjra-rSww&s=19

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM Forums mobile app
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,872

Post#1475 » by basketballRob » Sat Jan 8, 2022 11:04 pm

I saw Wendell warning up.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM Forums mobile app
JTG_92940618
Rookie
And1: 472

Post#1476 » by JTG_92940618 » Sat Jan 8, 2022 11:18 pm

Cole and Franz in. Wendell didn't prove his fitness and is out.
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,159

Post#1477 » by Def Swami » Sun Jan 9, 2022 5:03 pm

Gary Harris over his last 17 games, since December 2020:

17.8 ppg, 2.9 rpg, 1.9 apg, 48% FG, 42.6% 3FG, 85.2% FT, 62.6% TS, :onfire:

Harris breaking out of what feels like a 4 year slump is a pleasant development to this season. As a player on the team and as a trade asset, it could be a win for the Magic front office.
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 10,114

Post#1478 » by KillMonger » Sun Jan 9, 2022 5:18 pm

Def Swami wrote:Gary Harris over his last 17 games, since December 2020:

Harris breaking out of what feels like a 4 year slump is a pleasant development to this season. As a player on the team and as a trade asset, it could be a win for the Magic front office.

should be interesting, we will definitely be getting calls for him and Ross
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,261

Post#1479 » by Optimus_Steel » Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:40 pm

Trade deadline!!!!!! Make it happen WeHam.
aka: prorl
PrimeThyme
RealGM

Post#1480 » by PrimeThyme » Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:41 pm

It's very reminiscent of the Aaron Afflalo/JJ situations from our last rebuild. Let's see if we can cash in both Harris/Ross for similar unproven young players (Tobias/Evan).

Return to Orlando Magic