ImageImageImageImage

Official Spec Thread: Heart and Hustle Magic 2.0

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,923

Re: Official Spec Thread: Heart and Hustle Magic 2.0 

Post#581 » by drsd » Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:42 am

Blue_and_Whte wrote:part of me is pumped about Mo having a healthy offseason, and a hopefully a whole season of getting pt with a player of Suggs caliber (assuming he doesn’t bust) he has ZERO reason and made up excuses (Da coach is mean doe.. waaaa)for not showing improvement.

All of me is Pumped for Bamba to do well. If he is an above average rebounder, elite shot-blocker, middling-competent team defender, with one post move and a 36% three-ball, that is enough to be a starter for this team.

I want that.

Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,627

Post#582 » by Skybox » Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:39 pm

drsd wrote:
Blue_and_Whte wrote:part of me is pumped about Mo having a healthy offseason, and a hopefully a whole season of getting pt with a player of Suggs caliber (assuming he doesn’t bust) he has ZERO reason and made up excuses (Da coach is mean doe.. waaaa)for not showing improvement.

All of me is Pumped for Bamba to do well. If he is an above average rebounder, elite shot-blocker, middling-competent team defender, with one post move and a 36% three-ball, that is enough to be a starter for this team.

I want that.

To me, Mo is the biggest X-factor for the rise of this team. If he (still) flops under Mosley, we’re looking for a C in the draft. If he approaches his draft promise (good switching D, elite rim protection, 36%+ from 3 on meaningful volume), a lot of other things can fall quickly into place…he has reasonable excuses (Vuc, Cliff, COVID, no PG, etc) but they’ve all been removed. Suggs, Isaac, Mo (and whoever keeps up) could be an exciting core by the second half of the season…then comes Trade Deadline, cap space etc. if this developmental year gives us Bamba as a legit starter and Cole, RJ, and/or Chuma as solid pieces, it will be a massive success.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,627

Post#583 » by Skybox » Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:46 pm

I really don’t want to waste another minute on WCJ just because he’s currently BPA. Give Bamba the minutes and, if he can’t do better, start over next year at C…I could see 3 bpg, 3 made 3’s per game, 8 rpg (we have good rebounding Guards, we don’t need those gaudy D12, elbow my teammate in the nose rebound stats), and steady intelligent improvement on positioning with the new Coaching staff reaching him…that is not a huge reach if Mo gets it.

It’s a pretty extreme take to say if Mo wakes up, he’s a guy you can build a whole defense around …but if he doesn’t, he could be out of the league at 24. That’s how I see him, no reason to settle for a placeholder like WCJ, IMO, as this team is at square 1 (maybe just jumped to square 2 with the Suggs pick)
drsd
RealGM

Post#584 » by drsd » Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:48 pm

Skybox wrote:To me, Mo is the biggest X-factor for the rise of this team. If he (still) flops under Mosley, we’re looking for a C in the draft. If he approaches his draft promise (good switching D, elite rim protection, 36%+ from 3 on meaningful volume), a lot of other things can fall quickly into place…he has reasonable excuses (Vuc, Cliff, COVID, no PG, etc) but they’ve all been removed. Suggs, Isaac, Mo (and whoever keeps up) could be an exciting core by the second half of the season…then comes Trade Deadline, cap space etc. if this developmental year gives us Bamba as a legit starter and Cole, RJ, and/or Chuma as solid pieces, it will be a massive success.

Suggs/Anthony
Fultz/Hampton
Isaac/Ross
Okeke/F-Wagner
Bamba/Carter

There is a scenario where in 2022/23 this is a Championship contending depth chart. But it means that every Magician immediately rises to their talent potential AND the team works together as one, in harmony on both sides of the ball. The other, more likely, scenario is that Orlando has a 36 win roster with the above in 2022/23.

basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,719

Post#585 » by basketballRob » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:12 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
basketballRob wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:

You're simply wrong about topic buddy
Are those your projections?

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM Forums mobile app

that's from real GM.com

Cap space for 2021-22, 2022-23 and 2023-24 are already set. Salary cap won't exceed $120M mark until 2024-25. So your implications that salary cap will go to $170 in near future is simply data you made up.
MLE won't hit $12M a year mark until at least 2026. You said that MLE will hit $15M soon, by this projections, it won't reach that point until somewhere in 2030.

Regardless, paying Mikal Brdiges $25M in 2022 (119M cap space = 21% cap space) is equal as paying Ryan Anderson /Jabari Parker $20M in 2019. Simply overpay for little they offer.
Ironically here's the link where the salary cap will go up to 171m in 4 years (2025). So I was 1 million off.

The max salary will start at 60m per year and 79m in the final year. My projection about the MLE being 15m will probably be close.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mortenjensen/2021/09/19/with-new-tv-deal-looming-nba-teams-could-spend-big-on-extensions/?sh=74a65c433e85

T-Cat
Sixth Man
And1: 428

Post#586 » by T-Cat » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:15 pm

Read on Twitter

:nod:
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,297

Post#587 » by pepe1991 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:59 am

basketballRob wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
basketballRob wrote:Are those your projections?

that's from real GM.com

Cap space for 2021-22, 2022-23 and 2023-24 are already set. Salary cap won't exceed $120M mark until 2024-25. So your implications that salary cap will go to $170 in near future is simply data you made up.
MLE won't hit $12M a year mark until at least 2026. You said that MLE will hit $15M soon, by this projections, it won't reach that point until somewhere in 2030.

Regardless, paying Mikal Brdiges $25M in 2022 (119M cap space = 21% cap space) is equal as paying Ryan Anderson /Jabari Parker $20M in 2019. Simply overpay for little they offer.
Ironically here's the link where the salary cap will go up to 171m in 4 years (2025). So I was 1 million off.

The max salary will start at 60m per year and 79m in the final year. My projection about the MLE being 15m will probably be close.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mortenjensen/2021/09/19/with-new-tv-deal-looming-nba-teams-could-spend-big-on-extensions/?sh=74a65c433e85

You realise it's one side of a story, right? It's what NBA will ask. 75 billion dollars. Issue,however, is that they don't have sustainable argument for this. Their tv ratings are on decline, including Bucks - Suns nba finals that saw 32% drop in audience among USA fans from year before. And even Heat- Lakers finals in 2020 had horrendus ratings.

And even if they get that deal (and they probably won't) , it still makes no difference for nba 2022 free agency , as nex CBA deal would kickstart at 2025-26 season, as all 4 years contracts signed in 2022 will be expired or expiring by the time it matters.

The last time the cap spiked was in 2016, when the current television deal kicked in. In one offseason, the cap jumped from $70 million all the way up to $94.1 million -- a 32% bump in one offseason. This had two extremely negative consequences for the NBA.

First, it allowed several contending teams to generate cap space without sacrificing players that were already on their cap sheet. Most notably, the Warriors were able to sign Durant while retaining Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson, Draymond Green, Andre Iguodala and Shaun Livingston. The last two players need to be mentioned because the Warriors actually could have signed Durant without the spike, at least in theory. Trading Iguodala and Livingston could have saved Golden State roughly $17 million in space that could have gone to Durant, but the spike allowed them to sign a former MVP without giving up anyone from their core. The Warriors went on to win the next two championships with a roster that many consider the greatest in NBA history.

The second, and other major consequence, was far more universal. NBA teams suddenly had an enormous amount of space that, thanks to the league's 90% salary floor, they had to spend. The problem was that beyond Durant and a few others, there weren't many players that deserved all of that money. Nicolas Batum signed for as much money in 2016 as Carmelo Anthony got two years earlier in 2014. Mike Conley was, for a period, the highest-paid player in NBA history. Several contracts worth north of $50 million -- Ryan Anderson's $80 million deal from the Knicks, Joakim Noah's $72 million pact with the Knicks, Luol Deng's identical contract from the Lakers, and others -- ultimately needed to be waived and stretch because they were so toxic to their team's balance sheets. Others were traded with draft picks attached.

So even if this happends, by 2025, this time around they will be doing cap smoothing, raising salary over 9 years slowly.

Regardless of all this, paying role players $100M in 22 will still be ugly overpay.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
drsd
RealGM

Post#588 » by drsd » Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:37 am

The eventual returns of Isaac and Fultz is something to look forward to.

It’s been over a year since Isaac was last in action. He tore his ACL in his left knee on Aug. 2 in a seeding game against the Sacramento Kings in the Disney bubble. When asked earlier this month how he’s feeling, the 6-foot-10, 230-pounder said he’s “doing great.” Fultz, meanwhile, tore his left ACL on Jan. 6 of last season in a game against the Cleveland Cavaliers. The Magic will continue to be extra cautious with both of them. But the good news is that both are in excellent spirits and haven’t had any setbacks in their rehab work.

NBA.com LINK; 5 Interesting Things About the Orlando Magic Going Into the 2021-22 Season

What is the evidence that neither Isaac nor Fultz has had no setbacks? I have not seen repointing on that. It's great news if true, of course.

drsd
RealGM

Post#589 » by drsd » Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:49 am

Nine of the top 10 teams last year in 3-point percentage, made the playoffs. The last two teams standing last season, the Milwaukee Bucks and Phoenix Suns, both finished in the top half of the league in 3-pointers made per game.

Orlando finished 26th and 27th in these categories.
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#590 » by basketballRob » Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:32 pm

Only 6 days until media day.

KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 10,013

Post#591 » by KillMonger » Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:38 pm

anybody off the top of their heads know if league pass still has the option for a single team? work is about to ramp up full time for me no more remote work sadly
T-Cat
Sixth Man
And1: 428

Post#592 » by T-Cat » Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:24 am

Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,238

Post#593 » by Blue_and_Whte » Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:18 am

T-Cat wrote:
Read on Twitter

I don’t get it. Watch how who switches sides?
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,709

Post#594 » by thelead » Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:18 am

Blue_and_Whte wrote:
T-Cat wrote:
Read on Twitter

I don’t get it. Watch how who switches sides?

It's really not that difficult to comprehend. He's saying 'watch how those that hate on me switch sides to say they love me once I start playing my game again'.

That said, talk is cheap and no one is going to switch sides until he proves he has a reliable 3. He needs his old/quick release to get a lot of people to switch sides.

I'm of the mindset that he still has star potential IF he fixes the 3 but I'm not holding my breath for that. At the end of the day, he will likely be a very solid backup for years to come if he can't fix his shot.
Orl_Magic
Junior
And1: 197

Post#595 » by Orl_Magic » Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:03 am

So whose playing PF and back up PF for us with Isaac out? I see a void there. Okeke will get muscled and Franz Wagner will have trouble guarding anyone with talent. The only one that might work is Mo Wagner maybe.

I dont think playing 2 centers at the same time will work for us. We will get killed on the pick and roll.

This is going to be something for us to monitor and hopefully trade one of our 10 guards for.
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,609

Post#596 » by SOUL » Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:29 am

Orl_Magic wrote:So whose playing PF and back up PF for us with Isaac out? I see a void there. Okeke will get muscled and Franz Wagner will have trouble guarding anyone with talent. The only one that might work is Mo Wagner maybe.

I dont think playing 2 centers at the same time will work for us. We will get killed on the pick and roll.

This is going to be something for us to monitor and hopefully trade one of our 10 guards for.

We're not trading anybody to fill a positional need on a tanking team. And I don't think Isaac will be out that long since he's had a long rehab already, may even play to start the season. If he doesn't, I see him playing within the first month.
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#597 » by basketballRob » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:07 am

If everyone's healthy, I see no reason why anyone should play a B2B or over 30 mpg this season. We saw last year that over playing these guys, equates to more injuries.

That's what Detroit did last season.

thelead
RealGM

Post#598 » by thelead » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:04 pm

If JI isn't ready to start the season, there's a big problem. We don't need him playing 30+mpg but he should be ready to play from day 1.

That said, there is also no urgency to bring him back on day one since we're likely tanking.
The Real Dalic
RealGM
And1: 7,068

Post#599 » by The Real Dalic » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:34 pm

thelead wrote:If JI isn't ready to start the season, there's a big problem. We don't need him playing 30+mpg but he should be ready to play from day 1.

That said, there is also no urgency to bring him back on day one since we're likely tanking.

Imo, we're not tanking, we're just potentially really bad.

I agree with the rest of the statement though.
God. Family. Country. Basketball.
thelead
RealGM

Post#600 » by thelead » Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:49 am

The Real Dalic wrote:
thelead wrote:If JI isn't ready to start the season, there's a big problem. We don't need him playing 30+mpg but he should be ready to play from day 1.

Imo, we're not tanking, we're just potentially really bad.

I agree with the rest of the statement though.

Yeah, I don't think we are going to 'throw' games... especially in the first half of the season but I'll be shocked if we're even remotely close to .500 by midseason with JI and Fultz playing limited roles.

I still don't think Vuc and Evan were all that important other than their shooting. If we have a few surprise players prove that they can shoot, we might be better than expected. For example, if G Harris turns his career around and Franz is actually good on offense, I could see us being a .350 club. If JI and Fultz also play in large roles and show that they can shoot from distance (big if), then we'll surprise a lot of people. I don't expect all of that to happen though.

Return to Orlando Magic