ImageImageImageImage

Official 2021 NBA Draft Thread Part 4

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

bigdogdylan5
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,078

Re: Official 2021 NBA Draft Thread Part 4 

Post#161 » by bigdogdylan5 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:52 pm

Knightro wrote:Not only is Ziaire Williams an active bad prospect, but who picking in the lottery besides Orlando is banging down the doors for that guy?

Could easily get him in a trade back scenario, right?

Possibly I think that would make sense but trades up or down I feel are always easier to pull off in theory. If you believe in Zaire's talent and feel like his Stanford season was so crazy (which it was) that it affected him and that wasn't the very best he could be, then just take him at 8.
Fine print disclaimer for Fultz:
I am high on Markelle Fultz. Yes I understand he is not perfect and needs to shoot more and better and turn the ball over less. I would really like to see him play one more year… and I did and he sucks time to move on.
djguevara114
Junior
And1: 95

Post#162 » by djguevara114 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:57 pm

The only thing that makes sense to me in this drafting Williams talk is we have a trade with Houston that nets us one of their later 1st Round… Drafting Williams at 8 might be the official breaking point of me being a fan… I’m ok with conviction on a player when it’s in a certain range but that would be idiotic to take him at 8.

I’m still hoping for some genius…

Harris, WCJ, 8, Denver Pick, Pick Swap for Love and 3 (Mobley)

5 take Suggs or Barnes

Bamba/Mobley
Isaac/Love
Okeke/Barnes
Hampton/Ross
Fultz/Anthony
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,924

Post#163 » by drsd » Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:58 pm

JBSouthpaw wrote:But maybe the 2nd rookie is the #33 pick?

I have been thinking about this. Would Green/Mobley and Mr. #33 be a good fit for this draft class?

Weltman basically stated that he would trade #33 unless an attractive player was available (the context being a plyer above some threshold for the Magic depth chart of the draft). But he also said the Magic would come out with two rookies. He also said a lot about European players that were not vetted as being worth consideration.

So if the Magic trade #5 and #8 for Mobley and Garuba were to slide to #33, those wold be an interesting pair to bring in to the Magic family.

drsd
RealGM

Post#164 » by drsd » Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:00 pm

cedric76 wrote:swap 8 by cole or future 1st and you have a deal

we need 8 to get Moody

Green+ moody would be a great draft

If the Magic could pair any future 1st (their own, Denver or Chicago) to #5 to move to #3, I would absolutely love that trade!
Heck I am all for adding a couple of those to #5 to move to #3. Who wouldn't go for a lottery-protected Magic first in 2024 and the Nuggets pick with #5 to get Green/Mobley? It's a lot to pay but for the asset obtained, I think it's a great outcome.

And yes to Moody at #8.

Nyce_1
RealGM
And1: 5,975

Post#165 » by Nyce_1 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:02 pm

Knightro wrote:Not only is Ziaire Williams an active bad prospect, but who picking in the lottery besides Orlando is banging down the doors for that guy?

read on a memphis forum that they also like Ziaire a lot. I wouldn't be surprised if with him going 10th.
PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,380

Post#166 » by PrimeThyme » Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:02 pm

Williams's shot selection is cringe-worthy, his percentages are awful, the playmaking/court vision is not there, && he struggles mightily to finish at the rim with any sort of contact. He's going to struggle big time at the next level.
drsd
RealGM

Post#167 » by drsd » Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:03 pm

Magic_Kingdom wrote:Weltman would do this trade, or something very close to it, to get the #3 pick. His face told us that on lottery night. We can't focus on the fact that it is "only moving up two spots". Trae Young was taken one spot ahead of Bamba in 2018. Doncic was taken three spots ahead of Bamba. If the talent difference between the spots is that great, then you give up what is necessary to move up.

I would almost guarantee that the reason Weltman is saying we will have two rookies is because he has already offered the 5 and the 8 for the #3 and it's a no. Weltman would absolutely do this deal to add Suggs or Mobley, either one of whom could change the trajectory of this team, vs. adding Kuminga and Moody, neither of whom will have much impact at all beyond "potential" for quite some time.

I agree with this narrative. Really it is this question, would you trade Kuminga and Moody for Green/Mobley? The answer really need to be a yes.

GelbeWand09
Rookie
And1: 1,414

Post#168 » by GelbeWand09 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:08 pm

PrimeThyme wrote:
Williams's shot selection is cringe-worthy, his percentages are awful, the playmaking/court vision is not there, && he struggles mightily to finish at the rim with any sort of contact. He's going to struggle big time at the next level.

Never seen him play because he was never in our draft region but those turnovers in your clip are hilarious :lol:
Whole video is like Shaqtin a fool one player edition :lol:
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,439

Post#169 » by WuTang_OG » Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:12 pm

bigdogdylan5 wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:
bigdogdylan5 wrote:Lol you and I have different definitions of hospitality apparently. I apologize if you took it that way. I have had nothing but negative interactions on this board with Raptor fans on this site. You made your point I voiced my opinion about your point.

Yeah, not sure you get it. *Hostility.

I apologize it was wrong for me to project my past interactions with raptor fans onto you. I think we all agree Suggs or Mobley would be the best fit for your team especially if you are moving on from Lowry. Going to be a fun draft!

All good. Go raps and MAgic
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,711

Post#170 » by thelead » Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:19 pm

PrimeThyme wrote:

just terrible
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,960

Post#171 » by Xatticus » Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:21 pm

Knightro wrote:Not only is Ziaire Williams an actively bad prospect, but who picking in the lottery besides Orlando is banging down the doors for that guy?

It's a lot of noise about one guy. Chad Ford seems to be the catalyst. I feel like this is an agent trying to drum up interest.

I have a difficult time believing that our front office is seriously considering using the number 8 pick on Williams.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,360

Post#172 » by Knightro » Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:24 pm

Ziaire Williams is Jonathan Kuminga without the strength and physical frame.

I don't see it at all. Fleeting glimpses of skill here and there, but mostly bad play and a bad body.
The Effect
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 2,053

Post#173 » by The Effect » Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:24 pm

MartinsIzAfraud wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:
Read on Twitter

IF you guys get Suggs and Moody. Yikes.

Suggs is going 4 just think Raptors are doing HW to make sure he’s the guy. Only worry right now is OKC takes Bouk and GSW takes Moody. Sengun at 8 would really be tough to deal with.

Barnes and Sengun would be ultimate meh draft reaction

Well how would you feel about a Barnes\kuminga draft? Because if the draft plays out like that, I don't see us paint in Kuminga twice. If he's there at 8, I'll bet anyone almost anything he's the pick
The Effect
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 2,053

Post#174 » by The Effect » Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:29 pm

Knightro wrote:Not only is Ziaire Williams an actively bad prospect, but who picking in the lottery besides Orlando is banging down the doors for that guy?

There's no way to know that
Not like teams are broadcasting "hey we're taking ziaire if he's there at our pick"

I mean as magic fans we should know that, I mean who saw okeke coming? Was anyone needing down the door for him in the lead up to the draft?
And with Isaac, we didn't even bring him in

Teams want to be as private as possible when it comes to draft rankings

Not saying I would pick him at 8, but he does check alot of weham boxes and it wouldn't surprise me if we are interested
MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,118

Post#175 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:35 pm

The Effect wrote:
MartinsIzAfraud wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:
Read on Twitter

Suggs is going 4 just think Raptors are doing HW to make sure he’s the guy. Only worry right now is OKC takes Bouk and GSW takes Moody. Sengun at 8 would really be tough to deal with.

Well how would you feel about a Barnes\kuminga draft? Because if the draft plays out like that, I don't see us paint in Kuminga twice. If he's there at 8, I'll bet anyone almost anything he's the pick

It would be the final nail in the coffin for me and this FO. They will have solidified the idea that they don't know how today's NBA works and the saying Long Lengthy Athletic but can't shoot will be facts and not just a joke.

Luckily they don't seem to be that foolish and everything Weltman has said and shown makes me believe he's trying hard to move into 3. I really think Love will be in Orlando post draft night.
A scoring guard.. never heard of one. :roll:
Magic Mops
Junior
And1: 83

Post#176 » by Magic Mops » Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:35 pm

The potential is surely there.
OrlandoMagic
Lead Assistant
And1: 435

Post#177 » by OrlandoMagic » Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:42 pm

If we end up with Suggs I wouldn’t be opposed in selecting Kispert with the 8th pick. Chemistry with two rookies going into a new season sounds better than no chemistry at all.
rcklsscognition
RealGM
And1: 7,141

Post#178 » by rcklsscognition » Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:44 pm

I like Ziaire and think I put him in my top 10 prospects list. He has the tools to be a talented player the percentages aren't great though. I think he is a workout riser, someone is going to see something in him during a workout and draft him. I think in the eventual look back on the draft, he's a top 10 talent for sure. I wouldn't be surprised if we take him at 8.

He can pass, quite well. He can get separation for a shot. Can play defense, has great footwork and length. Main concerns are consistency with his shot which has looked quite good at times, even when not dropping. His handle is fairly good but he is not great at getting somewhere after a first step, relies on his stepback too much. Not great around the rim likely due to very little reps because he shot a lot.

If he refined his shot a bit, got his role simplified, I think he becomes a good player.
LDNMagic90
Bench Warmer
And1: 858

Post#179 » by LDNMagic90 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:49 pm

Read on Twitter

Since we are likely to trade our 33rd, how would we feel about 33rd pick and Culver. Or a future 2nd for Culver?

Not that sold on him but if its for a future second theres not too much harm in experimenting?
Magic#1
General Manager
And1: 1,108

Post#180 » by Magic#1 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:54 pm

The Effect wrote:
MartinsIzAfraud wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:
Read on Twitter

I don't care who we take at 5, if Kuminga is there at 8, I don't think you can pass on him. There would have to be some real unknown red flags for us to pass on him there. His potential is a steal at 8. If by some miracle we do get Suggs at 5 and Kuminga is still on the board at 8? We win the draft IMO. I don't see it happening but if the Raps really do love Barnes, it might be possible.

Return to Orlando Magic