ImageImageImageImage

The Official Jalen Suggs Thread

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,828

Re: WELCOME TO ORLANDO JALEN SUGGS!!!! 

Post#481 » by RookieStar » Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:25 am

SOUL wrote:
Bensational wrote:
SOUL wrote:It's their drama to deal with. Both players will be fine. On one hand you will have people tired about hearing about Suggs which makes sense, and then you have people that hate him for no reason.

Yeah, but fans should love and celebrate everyone the way we do Bamba, Cole and Wagner. It’s a shame they can’t be as classy as us. 8-)

Definitely no drama here, ever 8-)

pepe has entered the chat
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,706

Post#482 » by thelead » Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:48 am

thelead wrote:Image

Over a week since I posted this and I still feel the same way. I just can’t believe we landed Suggs :lol:
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,292

Post#483 » by pepe1991 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:12 am

RookieStar wrote:
SOUL wrote:
Bensational wrote:
Yeah, but fans should love and celebrate everyone the way we do Bamba, Cole and Wagner. It’s a shame they can’t be as classy as us. 8-)

Definitely no drama here, ever 8-)

pepe has entered the chat

I'm more than happy we finally landed player with actual basketball skills and talent. My draft board was always Cade, Mobley, Green, Suggs ,where i could easly see Suggs being top 3 , or even top 2.
But i didn't expect him to fall...

I don't really create "drama", i have opinions that are not popular among fans. I got attacked, i defend it, we move on. I'm sure lot of other people have too, but they don't say it in fear of being ridiculed. Go on reddit and you will see worst of the worst. Bunch of pre puberty 15 yeras old in D measurment contest who will be bigger over a top Stan of player. Type of fans who would buy used socks of Iwundu for $15000 and who will argue year in and year our how Bamba is better than Gobert already and how Mo Wagner has Dirk potential.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,107

Post#484 » by tiderulz » Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:05 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:Are you guys paying attention to the Toronto summer league thread? They are not handling the Suggs success well.

its expected and i dont even go over there anymore.
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,501

Post#485 » by MagicFan101 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:57 pm

tiderulz wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:Are you guys paying attention to the Toronto summer league thread? They are not handling the Suggs success well.

What’s crazy is Barnes is not playing poorly and has had some moments which are absolutely ungodly. If those moments become the norm for him … it’s over. He is the #1 best player from this class and likely a true franchise NBA Super Star.

They are freaking out waaaaaaay too early.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,107

Post#486 » by tiderulz » Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:39 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:

What’s crazy is Barnes is not playing poorly and has had some moments which are absolutely ungodly. If those moments become the norm for him … it’s over. He is the #1 best player from this class and likely a true franchise NBA Super Star.

ehh, i cant say that. that assumes that no other top player is also developing more. People were already putting a ceiling on Suggs, saying he wasnt a scorer and isnt a true PG. the kid is 20, he could easily develop those skills. Skills that he already has and maybe just didnt use as much based on his coaches strategy in college, etc. And Green looks like he can score, maybe he develops better defense and passing over the next few years and becomes Tracy McGrady?

I agree its way too early for judgements on any player, but especially saying that Barnes would be the #1 player of the class and disregarding any other player getting better also.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,958

Post#487 » by MagicMatic » Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:45 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:

Agreed. He might not be a superstar ever, but he’s going to be a good player. I think they botched the pick tbh, but we won’t know for years.

A majority of this forum since the lotto were talking about moving up or back to avoid being stuck with selecting Barnes or Kuminga.

There were only a handful of posters that were A-O-K taking Barnes if they weren’t “settling” with the fact that it was a forgone conclusion after nearly every mock draft had the same order.

They did us a favor.

I just don’t get the mental gymnastics they are making about the two players. They are vastly different and obviously Masai valued what Barnes theoretically brings to the table years from now.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,625

Post#488 » by Skybox » Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:55 pm

MagicMatic wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:its expected and i dont even go over there anymore.

Agreed. He might not be a superstar ever, but he’s going to be a good player. I think they botched the pick tbh, but we won’t know for years.

A majority of this forum since the lotto were talking about moving up or back to avoid being stuck with selecting Barnes or Kuminga.

There were only a handful of posters that were A-O-K taking Barnes if they weren’t “settling” with the fact that it was a forgone conclusion after nearly every mock draft had the same order.

They did us a favor.

I just don’t get the mental gymnastics they are making about the two players. They are vastly different and obviously Masai valued what Barnes theoretically brings to the table years from now.

We can all agree that this draft class looks unusually strong...and, arguably, ORL won the draft :nod:
MagicFan101
RealGM

Post#489 » by MagicFan101 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:57 pm

tiderulz wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:its expected and i dont even go over there anymore.

ehh, i cant say that. that assumes that no other top player is also developing more. People were already putting a ceiling on Suggs, saying he wasnt a scorer and isnt a true PG. the kid is 20, he could easily develop those skills. Skills that he already has and maybe just didnt use as much based on his coaches strategy in college, etc. And Green looks like he can score, maybe he develops better defense and passing over the next few years and becomes Tracy McGrady?

I agree its way too early for judgements on any player, but especially saying that Barnes would be the #1 player of the class and disregarding any other player getting better also.

That’s completely incorrect.

My comment in no way assumes others are not also improving. It is just a fact that Barnes is massive while also having a fineness to his game that you don’t see. Combine that with his fire and passion and it’s a rare combo. If some of those offensive flash’s he showcased become common for him then he is going to unstoppable … similar to how Giannis is can really only be slowed by his own poor shooting.

… with all that said, Suggs looks ready to be a star today. I’m quite happy with our pick. I’m just rolling my eyes at the Raptor fans ready to jump off a roof.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,359

Post#490 » by Knightro » Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:22 pm

Barnes is going to be fine. I obviously think very highly of him. Toronto has a good track record of developing players too. I wouldn't be too worried about him if I were them.

But at the same time, I won't lie and say it isn't a little fun to be on the other side of the "oh we were just one pick off!" discussion like the Magic were in 2014 and 2015.
MAGICian619
Bench Warmer
And1: 888

Post#491 » by MAGICian619 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:39 pm

Suggs is already the best player the Magic have had in more than a decade.
swarlesbarkley
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,153

Post#492 » by swarlesbarkley » Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:51 pm

Knightro wrote:Barnes is going to be fine. I obviously think very highly of him. Toronto has a good track record of developing players too. I wouldn't be too worried about him if I were them.

But at the same time, I won't lie and say it isn't a little fun to be on the other side of the "oh we were just one pick off!" discussion like the Magic were in 2014 and 2015.

I don't know about that. His shot is sooo bad. His misses sometimes barely hit the backboard. He's likely going to be unplayable in close games down the stretch for many years - it would make sense if TOR bailed on Siakam and FVV, but I don't think they are in rebuilding mode at all yet.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,719

Post#493 » by basketballRob » Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:58 pm

pepe1991
RealGM

Post#494 » by pepe1991 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:10 pm

Barnes can't shoot and his ballhandling was always overrated. I kept repeating same thing over and over again: he is ballpasser, not playmaker. Vučević vs Jokic is best example of it, Jokic makes plays form nothing, Vučević passes ball on already drawn and executed plays.

All things we knew before draft. He is player who's stock skyrocket AFTER season ended. Witch is always funny to me. I mean how execlly he went from some 8-12 projected pick to 4th? Because he interviewed well? Being well spoken isn't basketball skill.

People are desparate for 6'8 ballhandlers to the point they project things that aren't there. Barnes spent his whole basketball career, from any serious competition ( national team 2017 - present day) as "big". Now he is in nba and people think he will be perimeter player. He won't . It's not his strenght.
His scoring numbers in half court at college was putrid. His pick&roll on set defense made him below average ballhandler by college level.

I'm sure that down the road he will find his role and be fine, but for time being, he really isn't anything more than overhyped Thad Young type prospect. Player that can't really shoot, can make some little plays, will play PF , can pass but isn't playmaker.

He lacks any shooting touch, it's best viewed through contested layups at college, he had plays where he was airballing 5 footers.
D J C
Pro Prospect
And1: 516

Post#495 » by D J C » Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:19 pm

The hype is real.

SL is tricky.. in '12-'13 you had Dame at 26ppg, Kawhi at 25ppg.. ok both superstars showing out.. and then Josh Selby with 24ppg on 56/64/89 shooting splits over 5 games. There's a dozen examples like this.

But I think he's definitely passed the eye test. His energy, aggressiveness, and defense have especially stood out. He seems like that 'alpha' type, that type that just has 'it'. And I know it's cliche and intangible, but I really feel like it's different this time with him.

I'll admit, I wasn't the highest on him pre-draft, but have been all-in since we drafted him. Now I'm thinking he can be our Donovan Mitchell/Jamal Murray.
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#496 » by pepe1991 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:45 pm

D J C wrote:The hype is real.

SL is tricky.. in '12-'13 you had Dame at 26ppg, Kawhi at 25ppg.. ok both superstars showing out.. and then Josh Selby with 24ppg on 56/64/89 shooting splits over 5 games. There's a dozen examples like this.

But I think he's definitely passed the eye test. His energy, aggressiveness, and defense have especially stood out. He seems like that 'alpha' type, that type that just has 'it'. And I know it's cliche and intangible, but I really feel like it's different this time with him.

I'll admit, I wasn't the highest on him pre-draft, but have been all-in since we drafted him. Now I'm thinking he can be our Donovan Mitchell/Jamal Murray.

I'm just using SL to see how skills translate tbh.
Can player beat people off dribble, do they struggle with different range than college/FIBA one, how they make decisons on fly and how they handle more athletic opponents.
Only downside of SL is fact that guards always look better because teams have no interior defense whatsoever so it's layup and transition galore.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,359

Post#497 » by Knightro » Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:18 pm

One of the more interesting/encouraging things that has stood out to me with Suggs so far is how hard he plays on both ends of the floor, but particularly defensively.

So many rookies and young guys are indifferent or outright bad defensively and Suggs has really shown nice competitiveness on both ends.
MagicFan101
RealGM

Post#498 » by MagicFan101 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:33 pm

Knightro wrote:One of the more interesting/encouraging things that has stood out to me with Suggs so far is how hard he plays on both ends of the floor, but particularly defensively.

So many rookies and young guys are indifferent or outright bad defensively and Suggs has really shown nice competitiveness on both ends.

There have been a few plays which had me thinking he needs to chill out a bit! I love the hard work but not every play is worth it … especially in summer league! Don’t get hurt dude! We can sign some dudes to do the real dirty work for you!
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 10,011

Post#499 » by KillMonger » Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:14 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:

That’s completely incorrect.

My comment in no way assumes others are not also improving. It is just a fact that Barnes is massive while also having a fineness to his game that you don’t see. Combine that with his fire and passion and it’s a rare combo. If some of those offensive flash’s he showcased become common for him then he is going to unstoppable … similar to how Giannis is can really only be slowed by his own poor shooting.

… with all that said, Suggs looks ready to be a star today. I’m quite happy with our pick. I’m just rolling my eyes at the Raptor fans ready to jump off a roof.

Difference between Giannis and Barnes is that Giannis is actually explosive...he doesn't need a full head of steam to get by his man in the halfcourt...that is what is going to hold Barnes back, he has an average first step and to add to that he doesn't have the kind of handle to break down his man off the dribble, that just isn't his game. He did show a nice turnaround the other day which was nice so there is some hope there but watching that past game he was consistently having issues getting by somebody like kuminga who i wouldn't say is a good defender....he's not a side to side guy, at least at this point...he's north to south if they can get him going north to south he can be tough to stop but that leads to a different issue....he's not finishing as strong as he should around the basket....when he gets there it's some kind of finesse layup instead of a power move....happened quite a bit in college and so far i still see it happening now

The plus side is the jumpshot still needs a lot of work but it isn't as broken as some people will tell you...although i've yet to see him take an off the dribble shot other than that turnaround so maybe that isn't in his bag just yet...the flashes are there though....but Giannis? not quite my guy...think Giannis if he moved like Kyle Anderson
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,828

Post#500 » by RookieStar » Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:14 pm

Skybox wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:

They did us a favor.

We can all agree that this draft class looks unusually strong...and, arguably, ORL won the draft :nod:

Well.. HOU might have a word but YES...yes we did LOL

Return to Orlando Magic