ImageImageImageImage

The Official Jalen Suggs Thread

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,501

Re: WELCOME TO ORLANDO JALEN SUGGS!!!! 

Post#621 » by MagicFan101 » Mon Oct 4, 2021 12:37 am

GameOver25 wrote:
JBSouthpaw wrote:I was afraid of Suggs being the "it" tourney guy, I am to an extent still.
Hey may end up more like Marcus Smart(which isn't bad) than a true shoot/scorer.
I think teams are just going to play off him, and make him shoot.

I think you lost everyone with Marcus Smart? Suggs showed everyone probably in the 1st quarter of Summer League (and NCAA tournament) he's way more offensively gifted than Smart. He's a franchise level player you can build around. Not seeing the Smart comp at all. And I'm honestly being polite in my response I promise.

I’m going to disagree with both of you here.

a) You can’t expect to be taken seriously by comparing Suggs to Marcus Smart. I get the fire and passion on the defensive end but Suggs brings so much more than Smart on the offensive side. You have to see that.

b) I refuse to use the label “franchise player” for anyone until they prove it at the NBA level and do it with some consistency. Suggs is not Marcus Smart offensively but that isn’t saying much. How much better is he really? He needs to be A LOOOOOT better if he is a franchise player. Otherwise he is more a Kyle Lowry level player. Not bad, but not a franchise guy.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,289

Post#622 » by pepe1991 » Mon Oct 4, 2021 6:38 am

Smart is odd comparison.

They don't even play same position.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,158

Post#623 » by zaymon » Mon Oct 4, 2021 7:33 am

pepe1991 wrote:Smart is odd comparison.

They are both kind of combo guards.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,289

Post#624 » by pepe1991 » Mon Oct 4, 2021 8:38 am

zaymon wrote:

Imo Suggs will be primarily PG, where Smart is primarily SG.

I really never saw anything advanced in Smart's playmaking to think he is playmaker. He is used as ballhandler mostly because off ball he brings very little value and because crossing half court with ball in his hands kind a limited chance of him shooting in general.

In season when he shot 36% for 3 there was some interesting data showing how one-dimensional he always was.
He shot 39% for 3 in situations where he held ball less than 2 sec and 25% in any shots if he held ball longer :lol:
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,019

Post#625 » by fendilim » Mon Oct 4, 2021 11:25 am

zaymon wrote:

That’s Smart. :wink:
JBSouthpaw
Analyst
And1: 1,273

Post#626 » by JBSouthpaw » Mon Oct 4, 2021 12:30 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:
GameOver25 wrote:
JBSouthpaw wrote:I was afraid of Suggs being the "it" tourney guy, I am to an extent still.
Hey may end up more like Marcus Smart(which isn't bad) than a true shoot/scorer.
I think teams are just going to play off him, and make him shoot.

I think you lost everyone with Marcus Smart? Suggs showed everyone probably in the 1st quarter of Summer League (and NCAA tournament) he's way more offensively gifted than Smart. He's a franchise level player you can build around. Not seeing the Smart comp at all. And I'm honestly being polite in my response I promise.

a) You can’t expect to be taken seriously by comparing Suggs to Marcus Smart. I get the fire and passion on the defensive end but Suggs brings so much more than Smart on the offensive side. You have to see that.

b) I refuse to use the label “franchise player” for anyone until they prove it at the NBA level and do it with some consistency. Suggs is not Marcus Smart offensively but that isn’t saying much. How much better is he really? He needs to be A LOOOOOT better if he is a franchise player. Otherwise he is more a Kyle Lowry level player. Not bad, but not a franchise guy.

What does Suggs bring that is so different than Smart? Not now Marcus, but 1st year Marcus.
Both have hi BB iq,
Good size
play good tough defense
can handle the ball
Shooting is not their strength
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,719

Post#627 » by basketballRob » Mon Oct 4, 2021 12:41 pm

JBSouthpaw wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:
GameOver25 wrote:

What does Suggs bring that is so different than Smart? Not now Marcus, but 1st year Marcus.
Both have hi BB iq,
Good size
play good tough defense
can handle the ball
I don't think Smart's handle is as good as Suggs. Suggs also has one of the best pull up jumpers, which is the hardest shot to guard. That's a shot that he'll be able to produce whenever he wants. That's why he has a greater offensive potential.

Look at TMac, he didn't shoot a high percentage, but he could pull up and get his shot off at any time. Just getting shots off is a gift.

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM Forums mobile app
MagicFan101
RealGM

Post#628 » by MagicFan101 » Mon Oct 4, 2021 12:46 pm

JBSouthpaw wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:
GameOver25 wrote:

Both have hi BB iq,
Good size
play good tough defense
can handle the ball

Watching games will do more than anything I can write here. But to start, we can just compare raw shooting numbers from college:

Smart in 2 years:
48% 2pt, 29.5% 3pt, 75% ft

Suggs in 1 year:
58.8% 2pt, 34% 3pt, 75% ft

Both played significant minutes and attempted about 4 3s their freshman year. The stats are pretty comparable.

Suggs is a much more EFFECTIVE scorer than Marcus Smart was at the same age at all levels of the court. The modern NBA game seems to be all about “Steph Curry half court 3s” but that is not the only way to score …

If you’re expecting him to be Curry shooting you will be disappointed. If you’re expecting him to be T-Mac as an unstoppable offensive force you will probably be disappointed. Let him be Suggs.
JBSouthpaw
Analyst

Post#629 » by JBSouthpaw » Mon Oct 4, 2021 12:48 pm

basketballRob wrote:
JBSouthpaw wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:

Both have hi BB iq,
Good size
play good tough defense
can handle the ball
I don't think Smart's handle is as good as Suggs. Suggs also has one of the best pull up jumpers, which is the hardest shot to guard. That's a shot that he'll be able to produce whenever he wants. That's why he has a greater offensive potential.

Look at TMac, he didn't shoot a high percentage, but he could pull up and get his shot off at any time. Just getting shots off is a gift.

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Suggs had 1 game where he shot 7-10 in 3s, if you take that game out, he was under 30%.
Under 30% in conf. games too.

Look, I'm not doubting Suggs will grow into a very good player, I believe in him.

I was just commenting that expectations are really growing, without playing a game yet.
Biggest difference between the 2 players, Suggs won't have Brown and Tatum next to him.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,107

Post#630 » by tiderulz » Mon Oct 4, 2021 12:54 pm

JBSouthpaw wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:
GameOver25 wrote:

Both have hi BB iq,
Good size
play good tough defense
can handle the ball

i'd say shot selection. though Smart seems to have stopped shooting his team out of games like he would do early in his career. Suggs seems a good playmaker though, Smart not as much but is a better defender and with his wingspan can guard multiple positions that Suggs cant
JBSouthpaw
Analyst

Post#631 » by JBSouthpaw » Mon Oct 4, 2021 1:26 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:
JBSouthpaw wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:

Both have hi BB iq,
Good size
play good tough defense
can handle the ball

Watching games will do more than anything I can write here. But to start, we can just compare raw shooting numbers from college:

Smart in 2 years:

Suggs in 1 year:

Both played significant minutes and attempted about 4 3s their freshman year. The stats are pretty comparable.

Suggs is a much more EFFECTIVE scorer than Marcus Smart was at the same age at all levels of the court. The modern NBA game seems to be all about “Steph Curry half court 3s” but that is not the only way to score …

If you’re expecting him to be Curry shooting you will be disappointed. If you’re expecting him to be T-Mac as an unstoppable offensive force you will probably be disappointed. Let him be Suggs.

Different roles and teammates help Suggs's college numbers, Suggs had a lot more space to play in, because of his teammates, which allowed him to be more effective.
Funny thing is, seems like we'll need Suggs to play like Smart did, because of lack of scoring teammates now.
89Magicfan
Pro Prospect
And1: 489

Post#632 » by 89Magicfan » Mon Oct 4, 2021 1:26 pm

I don’t know how one can look at Smart and Suggs and see the same player.

Suggs offensive IQ alone...
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#633 » by basketballRob » Mon Oct 4, 2021 1:33 pm

JBSouthpaw wrote:
basketballRob wrote:
JBSouthpaw wrote:
Both have hi BB iq,
Good size
play good tough defense
can handle the ball

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Suggs had 1 game where he shot 7-10 in 3s, if you take that game out, he was under 30%.
Under 30% in conf. games too.

Look, I'm not doubting Suggs will grow into a very good player, I believe in him.

I was just commenting that expectations are really growing, without playing a game yet.
Biggest difference between the 2 players, Suggs won't have Brown and Tatum next to him.
He had a 1-6 game also. Subtract that and he shot 35%.

basketballRob
RealGM

Post#634 » by basketballRob » Mon Oct 4, 2021 1:37 pm

JBSouthpaw wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:
JBSouthpaw wrote:
Both have hi BB iq,
Good size
play good tough defense
can handle the ball

Smart in 2 years:

Suggs in 1 year:

Different roles and teammates help Suggs's college numbers, Suggs had a lot more space to play in, because of his teammates, which allowed him to be more effective.
Funny thing is, seems like we'll need Suggs to play like Smart did, because of lack of scoring teammates now.
I've heard scouts say that Suggs is a way better offensive player than he showed at Gonzaga. He deferred a lot there. They say he's a big time scorer.

JBSouthpaw
Analyst

Post#635 » by JBSouthpaw » Mon Oct 4, 2021 1:38 pm

basketballRob wrote:
JBSouthpaw wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:

Smart in 2 years:

Suggs in 1 year:

I've heard scouts say that Suggs is a way better offensive player than he showed at Gonzaga. He deferred a lot there.

Good to hear
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#636 » by basketballRob » Mon Oct 4, 2021 2:42 pm

JBSouthpaw wrote:
basketballRob wrote:
JBSouthpaw wrote:
I've heard scouts say that Suggs is a way better offensive player than he showed at Gonzaga. He deferred a lot there.

Good to hear
I believe it was Chad Ford and Hollinger talking about it. They thought he'd revert back to being more of a scorer in the pros.

MagicFan101
RealGM

Post#637 » by MagicFan101 » Mon Oct 4, 2021 2:56 pm

Look, pre-lottery I was locked into us hoping we would land a top 3 pick.

Given that fact about where I was mentally, there were things about Suggs which I was not in love with as a scorer when compared to Jalen Green. That is still true today. Truth be told, I would still take Green over Suggs today. We haven’t played a real game yet.

But when this guy falls into your lap at #5 you thank your lucky stars and be happy!!!!

I get wanting to bring some back down to earth but some of you here are outright sad with the negativity and poor comps.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,625

Post#638 » by Skybox » Mon Oct 4, 2021 5:25 pm

I'm really excited about Suggs...about his still undeveloped bball skillset (wasn't full-time until recently), his scoring ability (I also heard the Podcast talking about how deliberately he shared the ball at Gonzaga), his leadership and star power, etc. I still can't fathom what TOR was thinking but Let's Go!!

My thoughts on Suggs...I really hope he can play significant time off-ball at SG. He's big and athletic and certainly tough enough but it's a different mentality that some true PG's can't get their head around. Guys like Beal and CJ put up awesome PG numbers when their PG partners are out but can flourish off-ball as well. If he can't, oh well, Fultz and Cole are not worth compromising Suggs, but our best bet is all of the above, to some degree.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,916

Post#639 » by drsd » Fri Oct 8, 2021 1:36 pm

It will be interesting to see if Fultz develops a game to mirror Smart's.

CoachD
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,820

Post#640 » by CoachD » Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:34 pm

I think Suggs is a really good player, but am smiling at the "what was toronto thinking??" comments.

Barnes is already an elite level defender, passer and transition player.

He looks like he will play 4 different positions for Toronto and fit beautifully into their line up of guys with a 7 foot wingspan that can all start the break and run the offense and defend.

His shot needs work, but has already improved so much in the last month. Toronto has a history of developing guys who started with less than Barnes

OG couldn't shoot from 3 or free throws ... now the kid looks deadly.

Suggs will likely be the better 3 level scorer for their entire career.... but I feel Barnes will be a much better all around player

Return to Orlando Magic