ImageImageImageImage

The Official Jalen Suggs Thread

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,925

Re: WELCOME TO ORLANDO JALEN SUGGS!!!! 

Post#861 » by drsd » Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:10 am

DiplomaticMagic wrote:I always saw Suggs as a Malcom Brogdon type before the draft.

It was his play in summer league that won me over a bit, him making game winning plays and disrupting a 2 on 1 fasrbreak by himself. After his first few weeks of NBA play, my original prediction seems more likely. But we will see.

I still rather have him over Barnes just based on fit, I dont see Barnes having the same impact he is being on our team instead. Plus I think I like Wagner more.

Mobley wouldve been a terrific get. But its still too early to call what Suggs is going to be.

Please, gosh-please let Suggs have a Malcolm Brogdon-style game. Brogdon defines what is good about being a combo guard in the NBA.

The only think I do not like about Brogdon is that he is turnover prone. Beyond that, wow - please Suggs model your game in this development.
tooler
General Manager
And1: 5,349

Post#862 » by tooler » Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:03 am

Not only is Suggs thinking too much, he's thinking about prior plays where he screwed up. When TRoss drew three FTs tonight, I caught him walking down the sideline clearly beating himself up a bit over it.

I can't help but remember how much he praised the player development program at Toronto. Do we not have anyone on the coaching staff that can work with our star draft pick? Is there no one that can help him take a deep breath and stop trying to overdo it? I'm not saying it'll be easy, but it feels like he's on an island right now mentally. We all see it.

I still think he'll figure it out eventually, but why let him struggle so much 12 games into the season? It's very strange.
XTC
Head Coach
And1: 6,261

Post#863 » by XTC » Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:57 am

RookieStar wrote:
Knightro wrote:
MoMM wrote:No Barnes at top 2?

I'd go...

1. Mobley
2. Barnes
3. Wagner
4. Duarte
5. Giddey

As of now.

Cunningham, Suggs and Green have all had some brutally rough patches so far.

Its only 1 game but with Siakam back, Barnes has been looking average like all rookies except Mobley. I think Raps wil have a problem like us, we drafted a guard when right now the brightest star we have plays the same position. Kind of also with Mo and Vuc.

Anyway, hope they figure out that situation cuz it will be a shame if Barnes development would be stunted with Siakam back.

Don't look now, but Barnes had 21/7/4 and Siakam was in the line up =/ woaaah.

Crazy eh? Rookies can have off nights, but don't let that distract you from the fact that Barnes was wearing a cast on his left hand, and it was Barnes first game in single digits all season, and yet he followed up with 21/7/4 the very next game :lol:

I'm very pleased with my rookie averaging 17/8/3 because all he gets is open mid range jumpers all game :lol:

#NotImpressive
JF5
RealGM
And1: 3,900

Post#864 » by JF5 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:58 am

tooler wrote:Not only is Suggs thinking too much, he's thinking about prior plays where he screwed up. When TRoss drew three FTs tonight, I caught him walking down the sideline clearly beating himself up a bit over it.

I can't help but remember how much he praised the player development program at Toronto. Do we not have anyone on the coaching staff that can work with our star draft pick? Is there no one that can help him take a deep breath and stop trying to overdo it? I'm not saying it'll be easy, but it feels like he's on an island right now mentally. We all see it.

I still think he'll figure it out eventually, but why let him struggle so much 12 games into the season? It's very strange.

What Toronto Scouts/executives said in their workouts with him were all true. He wasn't making shots and he couldn't get past it and he beat himself up about it which made him tighter/worse. We're seeing it now.

We sort of knew after few games that he was a project. But his mental capacity/confidence to handle being in the NBA is low and not even near NBA ready either. He can't handle making mistakes/losing because he's never experienced it before.

Luckily it's a long season and he has plenty of time to figure things out. But he definitely needs the off-season to get more acclimated to the NBA mentally/physically/skills-wise.
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,713

Post#865 » by thelead » Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:02 am

XTC wrote:
RookieStar wrote:
Knightro wrote:
I'd go...

1. Mobley
2. Barnes
3. Wagner
4. Duarte
5. Giddey

As of now.

Its only 1 game but with Siakam back, Barnes has been looking average like all rookies except Mobley. I think Raps wil have a problem like us, we drafted a guard when right now the brightest star we have plays the same position. Kind of also with Mo and Vuc.

Anyway, hope they figure out that situation cuz it will be a shame if Barnes development would be stunted with Siakam back.

Crazy eh? Rookies can have off nights, but don't let that distract you from the fact that Barnes was wearing a cast on his left hand, and it was Barnes first game in single digits all season, and yet he followed up with 21/7/4 the very next game :lol:

I'm very pleased with my rookie averaging 17/8/3 because all he gets is open mid range jumpers all game :lol:

#NotImpressive

Why are you trolling on this board like Orlando was the one that passed up on Barnes? Not sure your going to find the validation you're looking for here.
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,628

Post#866 » by SOUL » Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:15 am

Fun handing warnings out again :)
The Real Dalic
RealGM
And1: 7,069

Post#867 » by The Real Dalic » Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:38 am

XTC wrote:
RookieStar wrote:
Knightro wrote:
I'd go...

1. Mobley
2. Barnes
3. Wagner
4. Duarte
5. Giddey

As of now.

#NotImpressive

Man, you guys make it easy to root against a rookie I was super high on and actually like.

Cringe at the # too.
God. Family. Country. Basketball.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,829

Post#868 » by RookieStar » Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:21 am

XTC wrote:
RookieStar wrote:
Knightro wrote:
I'd go...

1. Mobley
2. Barnes
3. Wagner
4. Duarte
5. Giddey

As of now.

#NotImpressive

1st.. good for Barnes. I always cheer for rookies because i cant wait for the next crop of superstars to take over. LBJ, Melo and etc are past their primes and its now KD, Harden, etc a group you kinda find it hard to like

2nd... wait a raptor fan lurking here again trying to defend and hype up their rook? Especially with no one askin?? whoooah no way!! I guess we do still live rent free in you all.heads. lol
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,974

Post#869 » by MagicMatic » Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:21 am

XTC wrote:
RookieStar wrote:
Knightro wrote:
I'd go...

1. Mobley
2. Barnes
3. Wagner
4. Duarte
5. Giddey

As of now.

#NotImpressive

Yeah, nice back to back blowout losses with Siakam back in the lineup. Really good showing.
tooler
General Manager

Post#870 » by tooler » Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:16 pm

JF5 wrote:
tooler wrote:Not only is Suggs thinking too much, he's thinking about prior plays where he screwed up. When TRoss drew three FTs tonight, I caught him walking down the sideline clearly beating himself up a bit over it.

What Toronto Scouts/executives said in their workouts with him were all true. He wasn't making shots and he couldn't get past it and he beat himself up about it which made him tighter/worse. We're seeing it now.

We sort of knew after few games that he was a project. But his mental capacity/confidence to handle being in the NBA is low and not even near NBA ready either. He can't handle making mistakes/losing because he's never experienced it before.

Luckily it's a long season and he has plenty of time to figure things out. But he definitely needs the off-season to get more acclimated to the NBA mentally/physically/skills-wise.

Yes, it's all making sense now. I guess I can't even complain too much about our dumb organization because it's not an easy problem to solve. It also means he won't be turning the corner "any game now." He's deep in the tank and will need to find a way out.

To his credit, I'm impressed he's able to keep his mental focus on the defensive end.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,722

Post#871 » by basketballRob » Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:30 pm

tooler wrote:
JF5 wrote:

Yes, it's all making sense now. I guess I can't even complain too much about our dumb organization because it's not an easy problem to solve. It also means he won't be turning the corner "any game now." He's deep in the tank and will need to find a way out.

To his credit, I'm impressed he's able to keep his mental focus on the defensive end.
I think most of his struggles right now are mental. To his credit, he's not folding but you can tell he's constantly pressing.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM Forums mobile app
Ralof
Pro Prospect
And1: 508

Post#872 » by Ralof » Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:38 pm

tooler wrote:I can't help but remember how much he praised the player development program at Toronto. Do we not have anyone on the coaching staff that can work with our star draft pick? Is there no one that can help him take a deep breath and stop trying to overdo it? I'm not saying it'll be easy, but it feels like he's on an island right now mentally. We all see it.

Coaching staff can not teach talent.

Btw this coaching staff is already making wonders with different young players,it is the best thing we had until now.

They already protect him so much until now,letting Anthony doing his things.
tooler
General Manager

Post#873 » by tooler » Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:07 pm

Ralof wrote:Coaching staff can not teach talent.

The mental game is a skill. He needs to learn it.

He already shakes it off and plays great (and free) on the defensive end. The mental talent is there. He needs to learn to apply it on the offensive end.

If I were his coach, I think I’d tell him to take up meditation. Seriously.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,360

Post#874 » by Knightro » Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:16 pm

I absolutely loved Barnes and I’m thrilled he’s doing well, but the Magic weren’t in a position to draft him, so I certainly am not losing a lick of sleep over not drafting him.

Now if Kuminga ends up good, I might have to reevaluate my entire way of looking at prospects :lol:
MagicStarwipe
RealGM
And1: 12,050

Post#875 » by MagicStarwipe » Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:38 pm

Still not worried about Suggs. If he's still playing this bad after the all-star break I'll worry.
RealGM Classics - Oladipo's "rude" celebration comes back to bite him: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1358414
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,110

Post#876 » by tiderulz » Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:09 pm

XTC wrote:
RookieStar wrote:
Knightro wrote:
I'd go...

1. Mobley
2. Barnes
3. Wagner
4. Duarte
5. Giddey

As of now.

#NotImpressive

why are you lurking on a Suggs thread?
OrlMagic05
Sixth Man
And1: 1,066

Post#877 » by OrlMagic05 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:01 pm

Some of you argued with me in the draft thread when I said Gilbert Arenas was right about Suggs.. I rewatched his interview about Suggs and Gilbert was 100% correct about him.

Agent 0 pointed out that in the Baylor game Suggs could not get past anyone and only had 2 points when playing 1on1. All his other points came from hustle plays like offensive rebounds or cuts.

Another strong reason why I dont think Suggs is a PG. I hope Suggs gets it together, but so far he has been a disappointment.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,974

Post#878 » by MagicMatic » Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:48 pm

OrlMagic05 wrote:Some of you argued with me in the draft thread when I said Gilbert Arenas was right about Suggs.. I rewatched his interview about Suggs and Gilbert was 100% correct about him.

Agent 0 pointed out that in the Baylor game Suggs could not get past anyone and only had 2 points when playing 1on1. All his other points came from hustle plays like offensive rebounds or cuts.

Another strong reason why I dont think Suggs is a PG. I hope Suggs gets it together, but so far he has been a disappointment.

You giving up on Suggs entirely a few games into his rookie season?
89Magicfan
Pro Prospect
And1: 489

Post#879 » by 89Magicfan » Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:26 pm

OrlMagic05 wrote:Some of you argued with me in the draft thread when I said Gilbert Arenas was right about Suggs.. I rewatched his interview about Suggs and Gilbert was 100% correct about him.

Agent 0...Guy who talked ish about Luka’s game but then admitted he was wrong.
OrlMagic05
Sixth Man
And1: 1,066

Post#880 » by OrlMagic05 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:49 pm

MagicMatic wrote:

You giving up on Suggs entirely a few games into his rookie season?

Not giving up on him. All I said was Gilbert's assessment on Suggs was spot on. Can Suggs score playing 1 on 1 right now? nope. Can he shoot? nope. Majority of his points are coming off hustle plays which Gilbert also mentioned. Not saying Suggs is a bust and surely hope he turns everything around, but as of THIS MOMENT, Agent 0 has been right about Suggs.

Return to Orlando Magic