ImageImageImageImage

The Official Franz Wagner Thread

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,360

Re: WELCOME TO ORLANDO FRANZ WAGNER 

Post#21 » by Knightro » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:38 am

FACT OR FICTION

The Orlando Magic were the mystery team who promised Franz Wagner many weeks ago.
Rick Rolled
General Manager
And1: 3,705

Post#22 » by Rick Rolled » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:49 am

Ducklett wrote:I'm going to take until summer league to be mad about this pick then I guess hopefully he shows me something to change my mind.

Ducklett wrote:Let's be honest: If Isaac stays healthy, this dude is a 8th man. What horrible value for 8th pick in this draft.

Quick turnaround.

(Just breaking balls. Understand that this is a divisive pick, but I’m definitely hoping for the best).
3Pac wrote:sorry for bad english am from pennsylvania
PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,380

Post#23 » by PrimeThyme » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:54 am

I posted it earlier in the week, but Wagner was a riser for me as I dug into more of his tape. He's not going to be the tenacious defender that Barnes will be, but I actually think he has a similar point-forward skillset. He's going to be an impactful player for us. It's not a super sexy pick, but it is one I can get behind.

Especially with Suggs falling to us at 5. Kai Jones or Kispert at 8 was the only thing that could have potentially pissed me off at that point, && even then I was already too ecstatic.
fateis007
Rookie
And1: 820

Post#24 » by fateis007 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:19 am

Ducklett wrote:Let's be honest: If Isaac stays healthy, this dude is a 8th man. What horrible value for 8th pick in this draft.

bipolar much? you going to wait till summer league or not, make up your mind
OrlandoMagic
Lead Assistant
And1: 435

Post#25 » by OrlandoMagic » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:24 am

Knightro wrote:FACT OR FICTION

The Orlando Magic were the mystery team who promised Franz Wagner many weeks ago.

I’m calling fiction I think it might have been the Kings
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,960

Post#26 » by Xatticus » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:44 am

He isn't who I would've taken, but I am pleased with the pick.

On the one hand, it feels a bit underwhelming considering some of the other options available, but when you take Wagner for what he is, he is an easy guy to appreciate.

I'm sure people are going to start hyping up his offensive game in the same way that they did with Okeke. The ceiling isn't high. He isn't wired to impose himself on the game. He isn't strong enough to be as versatile a defender as has been advertised. The shot needs work.

Despite all of that, there is a still a lot to like. I see him as more of a 2/3 than a 3/4. I don't know that I'd say he has amazing footwork, but his defense is very instinctual and he has good fundamentals. Basically, it's really difficult to get past him and his length really bothers guards. He just doesn't have the mass to cover guys like Kawhi and LeBron.

He makes the simple reads. He doesn't try to do too much. I think when you look at guys like Okeke and Wagner, you don't have too many concerns about a young roster cannibalizing itself with players playing king of the hill out on the floor on a nightly basis. I'll be very surprised if Wagner ever becomes much of a scorer, but I think he is going to be a good player for a long time to come and that he will be a valuable piece on teams that win games. The only concern I really have is that he might be someone that you can hide a bad defender on.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
Nyce_1
RealGM
And1: 5,975

Post#27 » by Nyce_1 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:49 am

Knightro wrote:FACT OR FICTION

Fact, according to Jake Fischer.
Magicfanatic82
Junior
And1: 200

Post#28 » by Magicfanatic82 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:50 am

Kevin O’Connor, The Ringer
The Hornets are looking to add a center, possibly a veteran. League sources connect them to Myles Turner, Richaun Holmes, or Nerlens Noel. But there are options in the draft, too. Kai Jones is heavily tied to Charlotte, but Wagner gets the edge here because of his immediate value as a shooter, passer, and defender. Wagner claims he has grown almost two inches, meaning he’s nearly 6-foot-11. The taller he gets, the higher his potential rises.

Our team is growing. Franz 6'11 and RJ 6'7
Nyce_1
RealGM
And1: 5,975

Post#29 » by Nyce_1 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:51 am

I love the pick. I originally wanted Moody @ 5 partly because I felt so comfortable and thrilled to get Wagner at 8; as backwards as it sounds. Still wish we found a way to get Moody, but very happy with Frantz.

I hope we keep his brother too.
styLesdavis
Rookie
And1: 575

Post#30 » by styLesdavis » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:55 am

Any chance Orlando brings back Moe Wagner since you now have his brother?
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,709

Post#31 » by thelead » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:58 am

styLesdavis wrote:Any chance Orlando brings back Moe Wagner since you now have his brother?

I’ve wondered ever since we signed Moe if it was for intel on his brother. It would be interesting.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#32 » by Knightro » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:58 am

I am a big fan of Franz Wagner. I had him 8th overall on my big board. I love how much experience he already has despite being so young for his class.

He's a long, ultra-switchable big wing on defense who could develop into a good 2nd-banana or probably more realistically a great 3rd-banana type on offense.

Candidly, I think Wagner's defense is underappreciated. You can probably read between the lines as to why. He was the best defensive player on statistically the best defensive team in the country at 19 years old, but a lot of people talk like he's just solid. He's not. He's way more than that.

He has a great defensive skill set. Flip a coin on who was the best of the bunch, but Wagner was right there with Barnes and Garuba for best overall defender in the draft. Quick feet/hands, excellent instincts, and highly active.

I don't really think he has elite scoring upside, but offensively there's a lot to like.

It's not Wagner or the team's fault necessarily, but I don't think Michigan's roster was that great in terms of being able to maximize Wagner's offensive skill set. He started next to Mike Smith and Eli Brooks, both good college guards, but not really scorers. That forced Wagner at times into more of a scoring wing role which I just don't think is going to be his strength in the NBA.

Wagner would've looked a lot better in more of a point forward role where he could facilitate for guys who were looking to shoot more often in the backcourt IMO. On a ton of other teams he would've averaged 4+ APG (like Barnes did) and earned more praise and hype as a shot creator for others.

I also think Wagner was really negatively impacted by Isaiah Livers' injury late in the season. Not having that extra shooter/scorer to play off of thrust him into a much bigger role offensively and he really struggled.

In the 22 games before Livers got hurt, Wagner averaged 12.9 PPG and shot .502 FG%, .392 3PT%
In the 5 games after Livers got hurt, Wagner averaged 9.8 PPG and shot .333 FG%, .174 3PT%

I get that Wagner isn't the most exciting prospect in the world. But 6'9"+ guys with high basketball IQ, a motor that consistently runs hot and acceptable athleticism have a really good track record of developing into quality starter types.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#33 » by Knightro » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:00 am

styLesdavis wrote:Any chance Orlando brings back Moe Wagner since you now have his brother?

I think it's a near lock they bring back Moritz as a third-string PF/C type for the minimum.
Magicfanatic82
Junior
And1: 200

Post#34 » by Magicfanatic82 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:02 am

Knightro wrote:I am a big fan of Franz Wagner. I had him 8th overall on my big board. I love how much experience he already has despite being so young for his class.

He's a long, ultra-switchable big wing on defense who could develop into a good 2nd-banana or probably more realistically a great 3rd-banana type on offense.

Candidly, I think Wagner's defense is underappreciated. You can probably read between the lines as to why. He was the best defensive player on statistically the best defensive team in the country at 19 years old, but a lot of people talk like he's just solid. He's not. He's way more than that.

He has a great defensive skill set. Flip a coin on who was the best of the bunch, but Wagner was right there with Barnes and Garuba for best overall defender in the draft. Quick feet/hands, excellent instincts, and highly active.

I don't really think he has elite scoring upside, but offensively there's a lot to like.

It's not Wagner or the team's fault necessarily, but I don't think Michigan's roster was that great in terms of being able to maximize Wagner's offensive skill set. He started next to Mike Smith and Eli Brooks, both good college guards, but not really scorers. That forced Wagner at times into more of a scoring wing role which I just don't think is going to be his strength in the NBA.

Wagner would've looked a lot better in more of a point forward role where he could facilitate for guys who were looking to shoot more often in the backcourt IMO. On a ton of other teams he would've averaged 4+ APG (like Barnes did) and earned more praise and hype as a shot creator for others.

I also think Wagner was really negatively impacted by Isaiah Livers' injury late in the season. Not having that extra shooter/scorer to play off of thrust him into a much bigger role offensively and he really struggled.

In the 22 games before Livers got hurt, Wagner averaged 12.9 PPG and shot .502 FG%, .392 3PT%
In the 5 games after Livers got hurt, Wagner averaged 9.8 PPG and shot .333 FG%, .174 3PT%

I get that Wagner isn't the most exciting prospect in the world. But 6'9"+ guys with high basketball IQ, a motor that consistently runs hot and acceptable athleticism have a really good track record of developing into quality starter types.

After Suggs fell into our lap, he was the perfect fit left on the board. Can play both forward spots and plays smart 2 way basketball.
fateis007
Rookie
And1: 820

Post#35 » by fateis007 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:31 am

Once we got Suggs, I pretty much knew Bouknight and Moody were not happening, we would just be way to backlogged.

This guy is interesting, he's super young, plays good defense, can push the ball, good passer and is huge for his position. He claims he is 6'11" now and athetically he moves well. I mean this guy is basically the height of a center (or unicorn like KD) playing SF in college, and is able to push the ball, and handle the ball at the top of the key and create offense.

I dont think it's as safe a pick as everyone is assuming. They are basically counting on him to be a near 7 footer who can score and make plays off the pick and roll and play elite defense in the nba, which is rare for someone that size. Only a handfull of players like that in the league currently.

So if he actually pans out, and his game adjust well to the nba, he will be a very rare type of player.
GelbeWand09
Rookie
And1: 1,414

Post#36 » by GelbeWand09 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:50 am

Why? He could easy end up as the better version of Chuma. Thats a starter or 6th man.
GelbeWand09
Rookie

Post#37 » by GelbeWand09 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:53 am

I'm german but i'm not biased at all. I never cared much for all the germans in the NBA. I love Dirk as a personality & enjoyed his title ride but never liked the Mavs.

Personally i had 1-3 players i liked more at the position but Franz was right there. I prefered a more upside player but Franz is a interesting prospect too. If his defense translates, he could be a real good 2 way elite role player with positional versitality.

Positive effect. Hopefully finally some Magic coverage here in Germany after seing probably 500 Mavs games unintentionally because of Dirk in the last 2 decades. :lol:
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#38 » by Knightro » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:58 am

I have a feeling Wagner's going to be given a very real opportunity to win the starting SF job for the Magic this year.
GelbeWand09
Rookie

Post#39 » by GelbeWand09 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:59 am

Knightro wrote:I have a feeling Wagner's going to be given a very real opportunity to win the starting SF job for the Magic this year.

Post draft pod coming tomorrow ? :wink:
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,297

Post#40 » by pepe1991 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:04 am

What's up with his size, he is reported as 205 cm ( not even 6'9 ) and now he is allegedlly 211 cm (6'11) , but against Brazil he did not look taller than Bruno Coboclo, who is 6'9 :lol:
I don't even think that him growing up to almost 7 foot would be good for him or Magic. Just look at his brother and there is reason why.

I'm bit confused what position he will even be playing in nba. SF? PF?
He did not show he is good enough shooter for SF tho.

If he develops his shot is young Galinari best comparison? Very tall wing that isn't incapable at playing at perimeter with solid fundamental defense and nice BBIQ?
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon

Return to Orlando Magic