ImageImageImageImage

The Official Franz Wagner Thread

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

fateis007
Rookie
And1: 820

Re: WELCOME TO ORLANDO FRANZ WAGNER 

Post#41 » by fateis007 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:08 am

pepe1991 wrote:What's up with his size, he is reported as 205 cm ( not even 6'9 ) and now he is allegedlly 211 cm (6'11) , but against Brazil he did not look taller than Bruno Coboclo, who is 6'9 :lol:
I don't even think that him growing up to almost 7 foot would be good for him or Magic. Just look at his brother and there is reason why.

I'm bit confused what position he will even be playing in nba. SF? PF?
He did not show he is good enough shooter for SF tho.

If he develops his shot is young Galinari best comparison? Very tall wing that isn't incapable at playing at perimeter with solid fundamental defense and nice BBIQ?

Multiple sources have cited that it is Wagner claiming that he has grown after college, so it's not really speculation. He either is or he is lieing for some odd reason. No official measurements yet tho. He is only 19 tho so who knows. They wont be able to hide it in the NBA anymore tho.

""Wagner claims he has grown almost 2 inches since college, meaning he’s nearly 6-foot-11. Multiple league sources believe that to be true, though there still hasn’t been an updated official measurement. But the taller he gets, the higher his potential rises. The Warriors have been rumored to be interested in a ton of names at this selection, including Jonathan Kuminga, Josh Giddey, and Keon Johnson, among others.""

This was a year and a half ago and is brother is registered as 6' 11 officially in the NBA now, so its possible.
styLesdavis
Rookie
And1: 581

Post#42 » by styLesdavis » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:19 am

pepe1991 wrote:What's up with his size, he is reported as 205 cm ( not even 6'9 ) and now he is allegedlly 211 cm (6'11) , but against Brazil he did not look taller than Bruno Coboclo, who is 6'9 :lol:
I don't even think that him growing up to almost 7 foot would be good for him or Magic. Just look at his brother and there is reason why.

If he develops his shot is young Galinari best comparison? Very tall wing that isn't incapable at playing at perimeter with solid fundamental defense and nice BBIQ?

Against Brasil? Moe played against Brasil - not Franz.
The1llness
Pro Prospect
And1: 464

Post#43 » by The1llness » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:35 am

I’m excited to see the Wagner/Isaac combo forward pairing in action maybe even more than I as excited to see the Barnes/Isaac pairing. The defense is slightly worse but the shooting is marginally better especially if Isaac and Wagner can shoot 3’s in the high 30’s.

FWIW Wagner outplayed Barnes when they met in the tourney.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,298

Post#44 » by pepe1991 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:36 am

styLesdavis wrote:

Against Brasil? Moe played against Brasil - not Franz.

Jesus, that explains why i thought Mo and apparently also Mo looked the same :rofl:

tnx!
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#45 » by pepe1991 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:39 am

fateis007 wrote:

Multiple sources have cited that it is Wagner claiming that he has grown after college, so it's not really speculation. He either is or he is lieing for some odd reason. No official measurements yet tho. He is only 19 tho so who knows. They wont be able to hide it in the NBA anymore tho.

""Wagner claims he has grown almost 2 inches since college, meaning he’s nearly 6-foot-11. Multiple league sources believe that to be true, though there still hasn’t been an updated official measurement. But the taller he gets, the higher his potential rises. The Warriors have been rumored to be interested in a ton of names at this selection, including Jonathan Kuminga, Josh Giddey, and Keon Johnson, among others.""

This was a year and a half ago and is brother is registered as 6' 11 officially in the NBA now, so its possible.

Oh tnx for clearing up for me. From college footage he didn't look that tall.
But i also watched Germany qualification tournament and thought it's him, but it was his brother :rofl:

We'll see in summer league about size
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,728

Post#46 » by thelead » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:44 am

Knightro wrote:I have a feeling Wagner's going to be given a very real opportunity to win the starting SF job for the Magic this year.

SF has to be what the FO is thinking. PF doesn’t make much sense with Chuma and JI.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,829

Post#47 » by RookieStar » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:47 am

fateis007 wrote:

Because he ducked the combine and measurements I havent seen him lately but I hope he worked on his bulk.
fateis007
Rookie
And1: 820

Post#48 » by fateis007 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:15 am

just for fun, here is a draft pic of everyone taking a group photo, if you're curious about everyones height. Cade is measured at 6' 8" def looks atleast 2 inches shorter then Franz. Mosley looking like a beast
jezzerinho
Starter
And1: 1,509

Post#49 » by jezzerinho » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:40 am

I know everyone wants star upside with every pick. I'm not saying Franz can't have star upside btw, but let's accept the common perception that he's a glue guy with high end defensive ability. There's no team in the planet who could function with 5 very young high ceiling star types. Most All Star players make it because in part there are good unselfish teammates who help the star guys shine. There are probably 4 or 5 current players who buck that rule.

In Orlando's case, i think the FO believe they already have star offensive potential in Suggs, RJ and maybe Cole (ie high ceilings). Star defensive potential in JI and maybe Okeke.

If you want these guys to reach their ceilings, somebody has to facilitate that, without themselves being dead weight. Wagner is that guy - he just helps everyone, everywhere on the court at both ends.

I'm not fully convinced he can't be an AllStar or DPOY himself, but even in the more likely scenario that he doesn't make it, he will have helped a lot of others make that run at star status.

With the board as it was - and having taken a guard at #5 in Suggs, the only guys I would have considered taking higher than Franz are Sengun and Keon Johnson. With neither being a big positional need, the Wagner pick makes a ton of sense.
Horcy
Lead Assistant
And1: 362

Post#50 » by Horcy » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:57 am

Knightro wrote:I have a feeling Wagner's going to be given a very real opportunity to win the starting SF job for the Magic this year.

Absolutely. I have the exact same feeling.
Horcy
Lead Assistant

Post#51 » by Horcy » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:03 am

pepe1991 wrote:
fateis007 wrote:

But i also watched Germany qualification tournament and thought it's him, but it was his brother :rofl:

Hahahaha Dude. You lost almost all your credibility with this :banghead: :lol: :lol:
The most hilarious part is that his brother played for the Magic last season :lol:
Ducklett
Head Coach
And1: 5,009

Post#52 » by Ducklett » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:50 am

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/2021-nba-draft-live-grades-pick-by-pick-evaluations-in-trade-filled-night-with-a-bunch-of-high-marks/

Franz Wagner was the 3rd worst grade in the 1st round, one of the worse grades being the 30th pick. As far as the top 10 goes, it was considered the worst pick.

Other places said this:

"The Magic needed help on the wings, and Wagner offers the plug-and-play kind. But did they play it too safe given their lack of blue-chip talent?

Orlando likely understands it’s not getting a star with Wagner, who doesn’t score a lot of style points and isn’t a standout in any particular area. But his all-around skills pave such a clean path to glue-guy status that his representatives should be ironing out an endorsement agreement with Elmer’s.

On offense, he brings spot-up shooting, secondary playmaking, sound decision-making and timely off-ball movement. On defense, he can diagnose plays as quickly as opponents call them out, and his instincts help him wreak havoc as an off-ball disruptor. He’s plenty polished for a 19-year-old with overseas experience and two seasons with the Wolverines.

Wagner can do a lot of things that help good teams win games. Can the Magic win enough to take advantage of them? I’m skeptical.

Grade: C+"
Horcy
Lead Assistant

Post#53 » by Horcy » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:58 am

Ducklett wrote:https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/2021-nba-draft-live-grades-pick-by-pick-evaluations-in-trade-filled-night-with-a-bunch-of-high-marks/

Franz Wagner was the 3rd worst grade in the 1st round, one of the worse grades being the 30th pick. As far as the top 10 goes, it was considered the worst pick.

Only by CBS. Most of the sites mentioned the Magic as one of the winners of the 2021 Draft and not only for The 5th pick.

You need to Keep googling…
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Post#54 » by Skin » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:05 am

Let's be real here.... does it really matter??? BECAUSE WE GOT JALEN SUGGS!!!!!!!!!
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
Horcy
Lead Assistant

Post#55 » by Horcy » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:12 am

Skin wrote:Let's be real here.... does it really matter??? BECAUSE WE GOT JALEN SUGGS!!!!!!!!!

Yes, it does matter because we had two lottery pics.
We needed to get two solid players who could be able to contribute immediately and we did it.
JBSouthpaw
Analyst
And1: 1,273

Post#56 » by JBSouthpaw » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:19 am

Ducklett wrote:https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/2021-nba-draft-live-grades-pick-by-pick-evaluations-in-trade-filled-night-with-a-bunch-of-high-marks/

Other places said this:

"The Magic needed help on the wings, and Wagner offers the plug-and-play kind. But did they play it too safe given their lack of blue-chip talent?

Orlando likely understands it’s not getting a star with Wagner, who doesn’t score a lot of style points and isn’t a standout in any particular area. But his all-around skills pave such a clean path to glue-guy status that his representatives should be ironing out an endorsement agreement with Elmer’s.

On offense, he brings spot-up shooting, secondary playmaking, sound decision-making and timely off-ball movement. On defense, he can diagnose plays as quickly as opponents call them out, and his instincts help him wreak havoc as an off-ball disruptor. He’s plenty polished for a 19-year-old with overseas experience and two seasons with the Wolverines.

Wagner can do a lot of things that help good teams win games. Can the Magic win enough to take advantage of them? I’m skeptical.

Here is my rebuttal by someone who scouts year round:

Jonathan Givony: I love that Orlando took advantage of Jalen Suggs' surprising slide, but in getting Franz Wagner, they have two of the best defenders in this draft. Wagner can make teammates better without needing the ball or requiring plays to be called for him. He's a high-level off-ball defender blessed with elite instincts in protecting the rim, closing out on shooters or digging down on the post and mucking up opposing offenses. There's a simplicity to his game on both ends of the floor, as he keeps the offense flowing with intelligent touch passes, bounce passes to the post or by pushing ahead in transition off the defensive glass. With Wagner and Jonathan Isaac as the forwards along with Suggs and Markelle Fultz in the backcourt, the Magic could have one of the better defensive units in the NBA.
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/31915713/2021-nba-draft-winners-losers-surprises-bold-predictions
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,632

Post#57 » by Skybox » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:13 am

Other places said this:

That's a terrible review when in context with every other thing I've seen about Franz. To begin the profile with "spot up shooting" -which is his alleged weakness (for now) and then rave about his defense and decision making and off-ball movement doesn't add up to a C+. After saturating myself with every media source, podcast, youtube video available over the last few weeks, I've arrived at the obvious conclusion that most of these jackasses know less than many of us here AND many of them don't do any homework. Biggest takeaway is the need for nobodies to become somebodies with unfounded hot takes and provocative statements delivered with false certainty...I'm not saying your specific source is a clown, just generally speaking of the population...There aren't a lot of sportswriters with PhD's in NBA Studies or continuing education to ensure their accuracy...There's a reason they ALL worship and refer to WOJ and maybe one or two others as the only legit sources of inside info. The rest are just fans trying to make a buck. I get the sense that many of us here put in more time and research than some of them (which is ridiculous but :crazy: we care for some reason)...Especially when it comes to national sources talking about less relevant small markets like us, the content is often crap.

Franz was universally considered one of the most NBA-ready, high floor guys in the draft and, therefore, a great choice for a team like GSW, whose timeline is now...I see no reason why his mature, diverse game doesn't lead to a major role this season. Given that he makes good decisions and always brings defense, he'll likely start or at least play a major role depending on Isaac's availability. I see him at SF, but also PF...just like I see Isaac and Okeke. I think that's 3 capable NBA starters. I wasn't really looking for Franz but I'm fully on board, particularly because I think Suggs is another guy who won't take 3 years to be a major contributor...Insanely good draft, I only wish we came away with a cold-blooded, high IQ floor spreader like Kispert to round it out. If Franz pushes 40% from 3 (he could), he's got Gordon Hayward potential.
npiper17
General Manager
And1: 2,337

Post#58 » by npiper17 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:15 am

fateis007 wrote:Image

just for fun, here is a draft pic of everyone taking a group photo, if you're curious about everyones height. Cade is measured at 6' 8" def looks atleast 2 inches shorter then Franz. Mosley looking like a beast

The thing that concerns me most about Wagner is that, based on this photo, he has no legs!
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#59 » by pepe1991 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:17 am

Horcy wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
fateis007 wrote:

Hahahaha Dude. You lost almost all your credibility with this :banghead: :lol: :lol:
The most hilarious part is that his brother played for the Magic last season :lol:

I didn't pay too much attention. During game against my national team he was out of game all the time due 4 fouls ( played 10 min total), vs Brasil i didn't watch whole game but like 1 quater.

Being wrong is part of life.
JBSouthpaw
Analyst
And1: 1,273

Post#60 » by JBSouthpaw » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:17 am

another positive on Wagner:
Hollinger’s team fit: I was a bit surprised to see Orlando pass on Sengun here. That said, it’s hard for me argue with the Wagner pick, as he was easily the best non-center left on my board. He’s a combo forward who can defend, handle the ball and score in transition, and his shooting ability should come around enough that the space-squeezed Magic won’t further suffer in this regard. The Magic likely pivoted here after Barnes wasn’t available for them at 5, walking away with one guard and one big wing but in the opposite order that they expected.

Hollinger would have picked… Wagner or Sengun
https://theathletic.com/2740150/2021/07/29/2021-nba-draft-results-round-1-picks-grades-analysis-trades-including-cade-cunningham-to-pistons/

Return to Orlando Magic