ImageImageImageImage

The Official Franz Wagner Thread

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,936

Re: WELCOME TO ORLANDO FRANZ WAGNER 

Post#881 » by Xatticus » Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:06 pm

jezzerinho wrote:
zaymon wrote:
Skybox wrote:

I especially like his mention of the Trade Deadline...make a move, WeHam!! Jump the line.

If we make a move it will propably be to make us even worse this year not better :) Lets trade Ross, have honest discussion with Harris and long look at Bamba.

I think that Wagner's amazing performance level so far obligates the FO to think about how far out into the future they want to delay the team's competitiveness. If they complete the tank this year, draft ANOTHER 18/19 year old with potential, then experiment with lineups before they decide on what trades to make, a lot of key contracts could be running out and Orl as a FA destination will look less assured.

Assuming Orl has key pieces in Franz and WCJ at an absolute minimum, the FO would be wise to begin the process of adding a quality player in this trade window. Then, even if the improved performance of the team in the spring drops its draft slot, Orl in a fairly lukewarm draft should be looking to leverage its remaining picks for another player.

With four quality players and some bench options, you can start to teach the team how to play competitive ball and hope that one of your chips elevates their game to star level.

Now we know we have a great one in Franz, it makes no sense not to accelerate to some degree the rebuild.

I don't say it out of impatience. I think the FO has to weigh the tank option against the damage that continued losing does and the aging of some key contracts.

We aren't close to being at this point. If Wagner was as far along as this board would like to believe he is, we wouldn't be 7-28 right now. This is basketball. This is the NBA. One guy can make you pretty good. If you put KD on this roster, we are competing for the playoffs at the very least.

Let's give our young roster time to develop and focus on finding more core pieces before we short circuit this rebuild into Sacramento.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
The Effect
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 2,052

Post#882 » by The Effect » Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:45 pm

Xatticus wrote:
jezzerinho wrote:
zaymon wrote:
If we make a move it will propably be to make us even worse this year not better :) Lets trade Ross, have honest discussion with Harris and long look at Bamba.

I think that Wagner's amazing performance level so far obligates the FO to think about how far out into the future they want to delay the team's competitiveness. If they complete the tank this year, draft ANOTHER 18/19 year old with potential, then experiment with lineups before they decide on what trades to make, a lot of key contracts could be running out and Orl as a FA destination will look less assured.

Assuming Orl has key pieces in Franz and WCJ at an absolute minimum, the FO would be wise to begin the process of adding a quality player in this trade window. Then, even if the improved performance of the team in the spring drops its draft slot, Orl in a fairly lukewarm draft should be looking to leverage its remaining picks for another player.

With four quality players and some bench options, you can start to teach the team how to play competitive ball and hope that one of your chips elevates their game to star level.

Now we know we have a great one in Franz, it makes no sense not to accelerate to some degree the rebuild.

I don't say it out of impatience. I think the FO has to weigh the tank option against the damage that continued losing does and the aging of some key contracts.

We aren't close to being at this point. If Wagner was as far along as this board would like to believe he is, we wouldn't be 7-28 right now. This is basketball. This is the NBA. One guy can make you pretty good. If you put KD on this roster, we are competing for the playoffs at the very least.

Let's give our young roster time to develop and focus on finding more core pieces before we short circuit this rebuild into Sacramento.

How can we know what we are, the entire team outside of Franz is hurt

But id be willing to bet that a healthy team with Franz, Cole, Suggs, JI, Fultz, Okeke, Bamba, WC, Rj, Ross would not be 7-28 right now, so use that as a meter of how far we are is clearly downplaying this teams talent level at full strength

Are we competing for a championship with that team next year? No, clearly not, but if everyone continues to develop, we add another top 5 to that group, and we add a good vet, we might really have something

Plus, franz by himself yesterday gave the defending world champs a serious run for their money with 5 replacement, so id say hes he as far along as we all say
The Effect

Post#883 » by The Effect » Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:47 pm

Vampirate wrote:Franz has solidified himself into the top 3 rookies, especially after last night's performance.

Where he ranks in that 3 Raptor, Magic and Cavs fans will argue against each other the order.

Pretty much while there are a ton of rookie's with promise, a lot of them have some sort of glaring flaw atm that prevents them into entering the top 3 bracket.

Id say the pistons fans would have a say as well
Cade might of started off slow, but hes looking as good as advertised
Vampirate
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,616

Post#884 » by Vampirate » Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:53 pm

The Effect wrote:
Vampirate wrote:Franz has solidified himself into the top 3 rookies, especially after last night's performance.

Where he ranks in that 3 Raptor, Magic and Cavs fans will argue against each other the order.

Pretty much while there are a ton of rookie's with promise, a lot of them have some sort of glaring flaw atm that prevents them into entering the top 3 bracket.

Id say the pistons fans would have a say as well
Cade might of started off slow, but hes looking as good as advertised

Cade has a good chance of ending up being a bonafide All Star etc, but this year he still has to work on his TO issues, and his TS% and Points Per Shot isn't up to par as Mobley, Barnes, Wagner at the moment.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,273

Post#885 » by Bensational » Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:24 pm

Pretty awesome that Franz is now top of the ROY Ladder for the season.
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,060

Post#886 » by Optimus_Steel » Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:28 pm

thelead wrote:
Knightro wrote:
Read on Twitter

Funny, I said the same exact thing yesterday to Howard Mass.
In the cold plunge??? JK.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using RealGM mobile app
aka: prorl
fateis007
Rookie
And1: 811

Post#887 » by fateis007 » Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:30 pm

https://www.nba.com/news/kia-rookie-ladder-dec-29-2021
franz heading nba.com as #1 on rookie ladder.
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,060

Post#888 » by Optimus_Steel » Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:46 pm

Missed the Bucks game so trying to catch up, man Franz made the Bucks top players look like they were on quicksand... Going right at Giannis and Middleton and making them look pedestrian... I don't see how he is not a star at some point, if not already getting there...

And I wouldn't even call this his breakout game... The Wolves game back in Nov (was it Nov?) he straight up dominated and had a poster. He jammed home the winning dunk/basket with an And 1 at freaking MSG vs the Knicks, made several other clutch plays. Then he had the tying bucket and the game winning 3. Those to me were his breakout performances.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using RealGM mobile app
aka: prorl
LDNMagic90
Bench Warmer
And1: 850

Post#889 » by LDNMagic90 » Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:32 pm

Read on Twitter
tooler
General Manager
And1: 5,324

Post#890 » by tooler » Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:26 am

Optimus_Steel wrote:Going right at Giannis and Middleton and making them look pedestrian...

Their starters were asleep again but there's no denying the Bucks protect the paint and he kept waltzing right in there.

If Franz can pull out a good game tomorrow when they're on notice then I'll be even more impressed than I already am.
The Effect

Post#891 » by The Effect » Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:35 am

LDNMagic90 wrote:
Read on Twitter

That cant be a full list
Jordan averaged like 30ppg as a rookie, unless he missed most the season (he didnt), he would of passed that pretty badly. Same with shaq (24-25?) anda bunch of other names i can think of

This list has to be just from the 99-00 season and forward

Either way still impressive
LDNMagic90
Bench Warmer
And1: 850

Post#892 » by LDNMagic90 » Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:24 am

The Effect wrote:
LDNMagic90 wrote:
Read on Twitter

That cant be a full list
Jordan averaged like 30ppg as a rookie, unless he missed most the season (he didnt), he would of passed that pretty badly. Same with shaq (24-25?) anda bunch of other names i can think of

This list has to be just from the 99-00 season and forward

Either way still impressive

Yeah I was thinking that to begin with then the guy had a follow up tweet to say it’s from 99-00 season.

Still really impressive though
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,576

Post#893 » by basketballRob » Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:28 am

I'd like to see Franz get 20 PPG this season. If it wasn't for the 2 games earlier this season against the Bucks, he'd be averaging 16.5 PPG.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM Forums mobile app
PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,326

Post#894 » by PrimeThyme » Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:04 pm

The amount of crow Franz has already served up this year has been a beautiful thing to watch. He’s also now replaced Suggs as the player who most lives inside the heads of Raptors fans.

He’s the gift that keeps on giving.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,576

Post#895 » by basketballRob » Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:55 pm

The game in the tournament against Florida State is where I noticed Franz. I wanted Florida State to win so I could see Scottie play, but that Franz guy kept getting past the defender.

thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,205

Post#896 » by thelead » Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:01 am

This move/shot was an eye opener for me

tooler
General Manager
And1: 5,324

Post#897 » by tooler » Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:43 pm

He's continued to show off new parts of his game throughout the season, but before the game I thought for sure we'd seen it all this time.

Obviously he's a long way from hitting that consistently, but it's exciting to think about.
p0peye
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,943

Post#898 » by p0peye » Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:08 pm

We may need to start thinking how we are going to build a team around this guy.
MagicStarwipe
RealGM
And1: 12,041

Post#899 » by MagicStarwipe » Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:03 pm

I'm almost ready to say that his peak is at least a number 2 guy on an elite team.
RealGM Classics - Oladipo's "rude" celebration comes back to bite him: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1358414
Max Power
Head Coach
And1: 1,204

Post#900 » by Max Power » Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:23 pm

I think we’re all ridiculously pleasantly surprised by Franz, when we drafted him I saw a potentially Hedo Turkoglu type, but off the bench, so generally a solid bench guy. I didn’t think we’d be getting our starting 3. Bravo to the front office for taking the chance on him. Cole gets our best numbers but I think Franz may just be the best overall player on the team at this point, and he’s definitely in play for that cornerstone status we all look for. The cupboard isn’t bare in Orlando, even with Suggs and Cole here. The Magic are just in the embryonic stage of their rebuild, give them 2 years and a legit two guard and we’ll have something special here.
You look confused...let me fill you in.

Return to Orlando Magic