ImageImageImageImage

Chicago Bulls 2023

Moderators: ChosenSavior, UCF, UCFJayBird, Knightro, Howard Mass, SOUL, Def Swami

Will Chicago 2023 pick be a lottery pick?

Yes
19
29%
No
47
71%
 
Total votes: 66

JBSouthpaw
Starter
Posts: 2,317
And1: 876
Joined: Mar 01, 2011

Re: Chicago Bulls 2023 

Post#21 » by JBSouthpaw » Wed Aug 4, 2021 9:14 pm

drsd wrote:
JBSouthpaw wrote:East tiers (not sorted in tier)

Locks for playoffs
MIL
BKN
BOS
PHI
ATL



Good chance for playoffs
TOR
MIA
WAS
Indy
NYC
CHI
CHA

NOPE
ORL
DET
CLE



For me a bunch of your "good chance" teams are moving downward. Also, whereas Cleveland and Detroit are solid "notes", if every single Magician shows a talent increase, I could see Orlando sneaking in to the 10-seed.

..

is moving towards



Yeah, it's kind of early to really figure out where the teams stack, right now the only thing I'd be sure on is the 5 at the top and MAYBE Miami.
All those teams in the middle can't just do it on talent like the top 5, they have to jell and avoid injuries.
nymets1
Head Coach
Posts: 6,424
And1: 1,279
Joined: Apr 18, 2004
Location: Florida
     

Re: Chicago Bulls 2023 

Post#22 » by nymets1 » Wed Aug 4, 2021 9:25 pm

Before Suggs was available I say we have no shot at the playoffs. Now with Suggs I think we can make the playoffs.
"Bodysurfing and always drive with the windows down"

"UCF 2017 only undefeated national champions"
User avatar
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
Posts: 46,595
And1: 27,814
Joined: Dec 11, 2006
Location: 트와이스
     

Re: Chicago Bulls 2023 

Post#23 » by SOUL » Wed Aug 4, 2021 9:30 pm

nymets1 wrote:Before Suggs was available I say we have no shot at the playoffs. Now with Suggs I think we can make the playoffs.


Rookies make next to zero impact in terms of winning. Even elite ones like LeBron or Doncic. Maybe a few like Duncan actually provided that sort of impact, but even he was surrounded by vets. Our roster is way too young.
jvdas
Freshman
Posts: 71
And1: 50
Joined: Feb 07, 2021
Location: Germany
       

Re: Chicago Bulls 2023 

Post#24 » by jvdas » Wed Aug 4, 2021 9:59 pm

nymets1 wrote:Before Suggs was available I say we have no shot at the playoffs. Now with Suggs I think we can make the playoffs.


This year? No way, only if 1 or 2 of our young guys make a huge leap, especially offensively.

Next year who knows, add Chet Holmgren/Paolo Banchero through draft (one can dream) then let's see what we can do with one additional year under our belt.
jonbob17
Rookie
Posts: 1,091
And1: 513
Joined: Jul 01, 2020

Re: Chicago Bulls 2023 

Post#25 » by jonbob17 » Wed Aug 4, 2021 11:27 pm

drsd wrote:I realised yesterday that Vučević is only under contract through 2023. Not having this pick really sucks for the Bulls regardless of where it lands.

Chicago has a two year run for .... what for? This is not a championship-level roster so I guess it is about making the Easter Finals in the next two years. Is that the "Success" a team mortgages their future on?

The Bulls could be stinky-smelly bad from 2025-2030.



It's a good thing the Bulls didn't give up another future first for the honor of signing Derozan to a pricey deal, oh wait...that's 2025 or later. Or maybe that was the pick they had to attach to move Aminu to San Antonio to clear cap room. Could Vuc have been worth the 2021 8th pick, a 2023 first, and another future first, absolutely not. It's all to keep Lavine happy, and that is the trouble with guys like Lavine, there is enough of a market for them that you have to pay through the nose to keep them, while also keeping them happy with the roster and everything else. Do they really add enough to justify the price, both in their contract and all the other opportunity costs and roster construction?
User avatar
zaymon
Analyst
Posts: 3,334
And1: 1,851
Joined: Jul 01, 2015
   

Re: Chicago Bulls 2023 

Post#26 » by zaymon » Thu Aug 5, 2021 5:42 am

jonbob17 wrote:
drsd wrote:I realised yesterday that Vučević is only under contract through 2023. Not having this pick really sucks for the Bulls regardless of where it lands.

Chicago has a two year run for .... what for? This is not a championship-level roster so I guess it is about making the Easter Finals in the next two years. Is that the "Success" a team mortgages their future on?

The Bulls could be stinky-smelly bad from 2025-2030.



It's a good thing the Bulls didn't give up another future first for the honor of signing Derozan to a pricey deal, oh wait...that's 2025 or later. Or maybe that was the pick they had to attach to move Aminu to San Antonio to clear cap room. Could Vuc have been worth the 2021 8th pick, a 2023 first, and another future first, absolutely not. It's all to keep Lavine happy, and that is the trouble with guys like Lavine, there is enough of a market for them that you have to pay through the nose to keep them, while also keeping them happy with the roster and everything else. Do they really add enough to justify the price, both in their contract and all the other opportunity costs and roster construction?


Thats why making playoffs without spending assets was so important. People laughed at us making 7 and 8 seed but in the end team like Chicago felt pressured to make playoffs and we didnt.
There is a world were Bulls rebuild and we trade for Lavine ( some people even suggested it).
Goodbye Vucevic, welcome lotttery picks !!!
Happysad.
User avatar
DiplomaticMagic
Head Coach
Posts: 6,458
And1: 1,925
Joined: Jan 11, 2007
   

Re: Chicago Bulls 2023 

Post#27 » by DiplomaticMagic » Thu Aug 5, 2021 7:50 am

Way too early to tell but I like our chances.
Suggs and Fultz are the future together
User avatar
drsd
RealGM
Posts: 30,518
And1: 5,595
Joined: Mar 16, 2003
     

Re: Chicago Bulls 2023 

Post#28 » by drsd » Thu Aug 5, 2021 8:40 am

zaymon wrote:There is a world were Bulls rebuild and we trade for Lavine ( some people even suggested it).


After the 2022/23 season, if the Bulls cannot or will not resign Vučević, then Chicago will need to think about a rebuild. Orlando having the Bulls pick is already enough of an asset to start a conversation. Add to that that Orlando should be able to free up mini-MAX money, there is a real concept that LaVine could be the scoring SG that the Magic need for its title run.

Magic 2023 pick, Magic 2025 pick lottery protected, Bulls 2023 pick, Denver pick, Hampton-or-Anthony, and Okeke for LaVine. The Magic should have enough cap space to absorb the difference in contracts.

If Orlando moves from mediocre to great, for me, its because this sort of deal is made.

..
GelbeWand09
Pro Prospect
Posts: 808
And1: 1,081
Joined: Apr 17, 2018
       

Re: Chicago Bulls 2023 

Post#29 » by GelbeWand09 » Thu Aug 5, 2021 8:46 am

drsd wrote:
zaymon wrote:There is a world were Bulls rebuild and we trade for Lavine ( some people even suggested it).


After the 2022/23 season, if the Bulls cannot or will not resign Vučević, then Chicago will need to think about a rebuild. Orlando having the Bulls pick is already enough of an asset to start a conversation. Add to that that Orlando should be able to free up mini-MAX money, there is a real concept that LaVine could be the scoring SG that the Magic need for its title run.

Magic 2023 pick, Magic 2025 pick lottery protected, Bulls 2023 pick, Denver pick, Hampton-or-Anthony, and Okeke for LaVine. The Magic should have enough cap space to absorb the difference in contracts.

If Orlando moves from mediocre to great, for me, its because this sort of deal is made.

..


Lavine & Title run doesnt match together :lol: Only way he is part of a title run, is as the 3rd banana next to 2 top 5/10 players

Dont want that guy at all
User avatar
drsd
RealGM
Posts: 30,518
And1: 5,595
Joined: Mar 16, 2003
     

Re: Chicago Bulls 2023 

Post#30 » by drsd » Thu Aug 5, 2021 8:50 am

GelbeWand09 wrote:
drsd wrote:
zaymon wrote:There is a world were Bulls rebuild and we trade for Lavine ( some people even suggested it).


After the 2022/23 season, if the Bulls cannot or will not resign Vučević, then Chicago will need to think about a rebuild. Orlando having the Bulls pick is already enough of an asset to start a conversation. Add to that that Orlando should be able to free up mini-MAX money, there is a real concept that LaVine could be the scoring SG that the Magic need for its title run.

Magic 2023 pick, Magic 2025 pick lottery protected, Bulls 2023 pick, Denver pick, Hampton-or-Anthony, and Okeke for LaVine. The Magic should have enough cap space to absorb the difference in contracts.

If Orlando moves from mediocre to great, for me, its because this sort of deal is made.

..


Lavine & Title run doesnt match together :lol: Only way he is part of a title run, is as the 3rd banana next to 2 top 5/10 players

Dont want that guy at all



To be clear, I do knot know the question that "LaVine is the answer" is the response. I would not want such a primadonna on this roster. But it is the sort of deal I expect Orlando to make in either the 2022 or 2023 off-season. That is when Chips will go on the table.

..
User avatar
zaymon
Analyst
Posts: 3,334
And1: 1,851
Joined: Jul 01, 2015
   

Re: Chicago Bulls 2023 

Post#31 » by zaymon » Thu Aug 5, 2021 9:10 am

drsd wrote:
GelbeWand09 wrote:
drsd wrote:
After the 2022/23 season, if the Bulls cannot or will not resign Vučević, then Chicago will need to think about a rebuild. Orlando having the Bulls pick is already enough of an asset to start a conversation. Add to that that Orlando should be able to free up mini-MAX money, there is a real concept that LaVine could be the scoring SG that the Magic need for its title run.

Magic 2023 pick, Magic 2025 pick lottery protected, Bulls 2023 pick, Denver pick, Hampton-or-Anthony, and Okeke for LaVine. The Magic should have enough cap space to absorb the difference in contracts.

If Orlando moves from mediocre to great, for me, its because this sort of deal is made.

..


Lavine & Title run doesnt match together :lol: Only way he is part of a title run, is as the 3rd banana next to 2 top 5/10 players

Dont want that guy at all



To be clear, I do knot know the question that "LaVine is the answer" is the response. I would not want such a primadonna on this roster. But it is the sort of deal I expect Orlando to make in either the 2022 or 2023 off-season. That is when Chips will go on the table.

..


I am also not a big fan of Lavine. I meant that we could have went with Bulls strategy at the deadline not that we should target Lavine in the future.
Making playoffs as a low seed took some pressure of us and also gave us some assets to start the rebuild. In hindsight it was proper decision to start rebuild now and not 3 years ago. All these teams making short sighted moves in the east is perfect for us.
Regarding team building strategy i would not be suprised if we played only one guard in some of our lineups in the future. Suggs is perfect becouse he is big and strong, you can have no defensive weaklink like Bucks did this year.
Goodbye Vucevic, welcome lotttery picks !!!
Happysad.
The Real Dalic
RealGM
Posts: 16,591
And1: 6,144
Joined: Nov 22, 2009
Location: Orlando, FL
         

Re: Chicago Bulls 2023 

Post#32 » by The Real Dalic » Thu Aug 5, 2021 9:12 am

jvdas wrote:
nymets1 wrote:Before Suggs was available I say we have no shot at the playoffs. Now with Suggs I think we can make the playoffs.


This year? No way, only if 1 or 2 of our young guys make a huge leap, especially offensively.

Next year who knows, add Chet Holmgren/Paolo Banchero through draft (one can dream) then let's see what we can do with one additional year under our belt.

Just curious, is Chet still just sticks and bones? Haven't seen him in awhile, but definitely wouldn't want him if he still hasn't filled out his body.
God. Family. Country. Basketball.
User avatar
Last Guardian
RealGM
Posts: 23,314
And1: 2,571
Joined: Feb 22, 2004
Location: New Jersey
 

Re: Chicago Bulls 2023 

Post#33 » by Last Guardian » Thu Aug 5, 2021 2:37 pm

I don't hate what they've built roster wise on offense. There is a good amount of options there and they can stagger lineups to always have an effective scorer on the floor. Yea Ball, Lavine, DeRozan and Vuc all want the ball but I do think Vuc could easily still be effective off the ball and Ball pretty much solely wants to pass. I think they just have to make sure there are lineups where DeRozan has nothing but bench players next to him and he's the first option.

But defense, wow. They are going to be terrible. They need to be top 5 in offense to have any chance at the playoffs.

I'm going to guess and say that no we will not get a top 10 pick from them in 2023.
3ddman23
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,287
And1: 1,445
Joined: Jul 02, 2013
Location: orlando
   

Re: Chicago Bulls 2023 

Post#34 » by 3ddman23 » Thu Aug 5, 2021 2:57 pm

ARandomStranger wrote:Let me be even more in depth about this. The Bulls just grabbed whoever was available and didn't really look at fit. None of the guys they brought in give me the impression that they will play well with Lavine on roster. Ball wants the ball, Derozan wants the ball, Lavine wants the ball, Vuc wants the ball. Its like someone in 2k making a simulation and just grabbing random players to see if he can win a bunch of games without any real scheme to construction. In my opinion this team still screams mediocrity.

Derozan wasn't turning heads in San Antonio. He isn't a modern wing and that will greatly hurt them, not being a great three point shooter and being a majority mid-range to in the paint scorer is definitely not going to do wonders for spacing.

Its like they didn't watch New Orleans and why that team didn't work with Ball at the PG last year. Without the ball and in a lessened role on the offensive end the guy is a "meh" starter at best. They have grabbed plenty of people to limit his offensive contribution as a primary ball handler, not that Lavine was ever not going to have the ball in his hands.

All in all, this is a failure, but lets also look how they still haven't learned how to use Vuc right either. This was all a recipe for disaster and they are going to pay the price this season and in the future.


Took the words right out of my mouth. This is exactly how I see it. I don't understand how anyone can say the bulls are any sort of threat for anything. Rosters on paper don't win games how can people continue to ger fooled like that. This bulls team doesn't seem to fit at all. When 4 of there main guys need the ball in there hands to be effective(not to mention the defense aspect of it). They are a 6-10 team at best in my eyes.
GO MAGIC
ARandomStranger
Sophomore
Posts: 145
And1: 108
Joined: Oct 20, 2017
   

Re: Chicago Bulls 2023 

Post#35 » by ARandomStranger » Thu Aug 5, 2021 10:48 pm

Its more likely that the Bulls flame out this season than they make the playoffs. Play-ins sure, but the playoffs? I highly doubt with this mismatched roster they can get it done. They are not going to be a top 5 offensive team with the roster they have constructed and on defense they will be absolutely abysmal. They have no defensive anchor and most of the guys they are going to have to hide defensively to make it work at least in theory, but they have no top tier defensive talent to do that.

This team is going to fall apart and more than likely Lavine is gone, why would you want to be on a team that has wasted the majority of your prime? In my mind, looking at the moves being made, I can only think the FO realizes that. Sure Ball and Derozan are not Lavine, but together they can almost replicate his stat line. It seems like those two were added solely with the thought of Lavine already being a foot out the door, to where I don't know, but I wouldn't want to stay with the mediocrity that the Bulls have strung out year after year since D. Rose was derailed by injuries. The only move I thought they made that was good was bringing in Alex, everything else seems to be a post Lavine preparation move.

I feel bad for Donovan, but this is how the cookie crumbles.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
Posts: 16,537
And1: 8,526
Joined: Jun 26, 2014
     

Re: Chicago Bulls 2023 

Post#36 » by WindyCityBorn » Fri Aug 6, 2021 9:02 am

ARandomStranger wrote:Its more likely that the Bulls flame out this season than they make the playoffs. Play-ins sure, but the playoffs? I highly doubt with this mismatched roster they can get it done. They are not going to be a top 5 offensive team with the roster they have constructed and on defense they will be absolutely abysmal. They have no defensive anchor and most of the guys they are going to have to hide defensively to make it work at least in theory, but they have no top tier defensive talent to do that.

This team is going to fall apart and more than likely Lavine is gone, why would you want to be on a team that has wasted the majority of your prime? In my mind, looking at the moves being made, I can only think the FO realizes that. Sure Ball and Derozan are not Lavine, but together they can almost replicate his stat line. It seems like those two were added solely with the thought of Lavine already being a foot out the door, to where I don't know, but I wouldn't want to stay with the mediocrity that the Bulls have strung out year after year since D. Rose was derailed by injuries. The only move I thought they made that was good was bringing in Alex, everything else seems to be a post Lavine preparation move.

I feel bad for Donovan, but this is how the cookie crumbles.


You guys have no idea what you are talking about.These are moves LaVine wanted. And Derozan fits great with LaVine, Ball and Vuc all spacing the floor. He averaged 7 assists last season. We do need another good frontcourt defender and believe they will get one.

There is nothing haphazard or desperate about the way they have built this team.
User avatar
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
Posts: 46,595
And1: 27,814
Joined: Dec 11, 2006
Location: 트와이스
     

Re: Chicago Bulls 2023 

Post#37 » by SOUL » Fri Aug 6, 2021 9:20 am

I think they'll be a decently good team. Not world beaters by any stretch, but competitive and I think solidly in the playoffs. We were a 7-8 seed with Vuc, Fournier, Gordon, etc, and I think the collection of talent they have at least in their starting line is better. Overall bench depth/big man depth is where they might have an issue. The East got better, yeah, but still. It will be important with LaVine extending or not when it comes to 2023, but this year, they have the talent. Thin in some areas, but I think some of these predictions are just wishful thinking.
User avatar
RookieStar
RealGM
Posts: 13,231
And1: 3,075
Joined: Jul 01, 2009
 

Re: Chicago Bulls 2023 

Post#38 » by RookieStar » Fri Aug 6, 2021 9:35 am

Personally I have a wild hot take that the Bulls could reach Top4 in the East. Im suspiciously thinking they get a better record than NYK and ATL. However, they are top heavy and frontcourt thin.

Ball Lavine DD Pwill Vuc looks good on paper. Vuc and Ball are great passers
Vuc Lavine are good 3pt shooter with Ball decent.
Defense... well....

If they face teams without big physicsl wings/forwards like ATL NYK IND they are probably fine.. its the Butler KD GA they will have no answer for.
basketballRob
RealGM
Posts: 14,848
And1: 5,892
Joined: May 05, 2014
     

Re: Chicago Bulls 2023 

Post#39 » by basketballRob » Fri Aug 6, 2021 11:05 am

They are probably a player like Jerami Grant away.

Read on Twitter
?s=19
User avatar
tiderulz
RealGM
Posts: 32,001
And1: 12,138
Joined: Jun 16, 2010
Location: Atlanta
 

Re: Chicago Bulls 2023 

Post#40 » by tiderulz » Fri Aug 6, 2021 11:40 am

SOUL wrote:I think they'll be a decently good team. Not world beaters by any stretch, but competitive and I think solidly in the playoffs. We were a 7-8 seed with Vuc, Fournier, Gordon, etc, and I think the collection of talent they have at least in their starting line is better. Overall bench depth/big man depth is where they might have an issue. The East got better, yeah, but still. It will be important with LaVine extending or not when it comes to 2023, but this year, they have the talent. Thin in some areas, but I think some of these predictions are just wishful thinking.

yep, im with you. i can see them being a playoff team.

Return to Orlando Magic