ImageImageImageImage

Magic sign F/C Moritz Wagner to a 2-Year Contract (Robbins)

Moderators: ChosenSavior, UCF, UCFJayBird, Knightro, Howard Mass, SOUL, Def Swami

basketballRob
RealGM
Posts: 14,848
And1: 5,892
Joined: May 05, 2014
     

Re: Magic sign F/C Moritz Wagner to a 2-Year Contract (Robbins) 

Post#81 » by basketballRob » Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:42 pm

RookieStar wrote:
basketballRob wrote:Must be another deal in the works, since they haven't officially signed him yet.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM Forums mobile app


Yeah... so there's a chance we wo't sign him?
I think we sign him, but maybe it's part of a bigger deal. They're probably trying to find a way to not be hard capped and lose our TPE's.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM Forums mobile app
User avatar
fendilim
RealGM
Posts: 28,197
And1: 3,973
Joined: Jun 11, 2002
Location: 孫悟空, 时间太?!

Re: Magic sign F/C Moritz Wagner to a 2-Year Contract (Robbins) 

Post#82 » by fendilim » Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:33 am

I like the signing. Mo isnt really that good, but he has high character and will help his brother in his transition to the NBA. The Magic culure under WeHam prioritize family a lot.
Image
User avatar
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
Posts: 11,342
And1: 13,393
Joined: Dec 18, 2010
Location: Orlando, FL
 

Re: Magic sign F/C Moritz Wagner to a 2-Year Contract (Robbins) 

Post#83 » by Knightro » Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:12 pm

fendilim wrote:I like the signing. Mo isnt really that good, but he has high character and will help his brother in his transition to the NBA. The Magic culure under WeHam prioritize family a lot.


I think Moritz stinks for the most part, but I'm very invested in Franz's success and if having his brother will help him, then I'm on board.
User avatar
MoMM
General Manager
Posts: 9,548
And1: 1,325
Joined: Jan 08, 2002
Location: Brazilian living in Berlin
Contact:
       

Re: Magic sign F/C Moritz Wagner to a 2-Year Contract (Robbins) 

Post#84 » by MoMM » Sun Aug 22, 2021 5:55 am

Any news about how much we will pay him and if the 2nd year is guaranteed?
User avatar
drsd
RealGM
Posts: 30,518
And1: 5,595
Joined: Mar 16, 2003
     

Re: Magic sign F/C Moritz Wagner to a 2-Year Contract (Robbins) 

Post#85 » by drsd » Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:27 am

MoMM wrote:Any news about how much we will pay him and if the 2nd year is guaranteed?


$1,729,217 in 2021/22
$1,878,720 in 2022/23 as a team option

It is a friendly deal for the Magic.

..
User avatar
drsd
RealGM
Posts: 30,518
And1: 5,595
Joined: Mar 16, 2003
     

Re: Magic sign F/C Moritz Wagner to a 2-Year Contract (Robbins) 

Post#86 » by drsd » Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:28 am

Knightro wrote:
fendilim wrote:I like the signing. Mo isnt really that good, but he has high character and will help his brother in his transition to the NBA. The Magic culure under WeHam prioritize family a lot.


I think Moritz stinks for the most part, but I'm very invested in Franz's success and if having his brother will help him, then I'm on board.


They are hyper competitive; and should get in "Brother mode" of who can log more hours in the gym. I am super stoked about that.


..
basketballRob
RealGM
Posts: 14,848
And1: 5,892
Joined: May 05, 2014
     

Re: Magic sign F/C Moritz Wagner to a 2-Year Contract (Robbins) 

Post#87 » by basketballRob » Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:17 pm

drsd wrote:
MoMM wrote:Any news about how much we will pay him and if the 2nd year is guaranteed?


$1,729,217 in 2021/22
$1,878,720 in 2022/23 as a team option

It is a friendly deal for the Magic.

..
Can't imagine him signing for that. I think he gets at least 10m guaranteed.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM Forums mobile app
User avatar
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
Posts: 11,342
And1: 13,393
Joined: Dec 18, 2010
Location: Orlando, FL
 

Re: Magic sign F/C Moritz Wagner to a 2-Year Contract (Robbins) 

Post#88 » by Knightro » Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:16 pm

basketballRob wrote:
drsd wrote:
MoMM wrote:Any news about how much we will pay him and if the 2nd year is guaranteed?


$1,729,217 in 2021/22
$1,878,720 in 2022/23 as a team option

It is a friendly deal for the Magic.

..
Can't imagine him signing for that. I think he gets at least 10m guaranteed.


It would absolutely blow my mind if Moritz Wagner got anything approaching $10M. I doubt his second season is fully guaranteed.

He was a street free agent that no one wanted and he joined a team playing out the string. Let's not oversell what he is or isn't.
basketballRob
RealGM
Posts: 14,848
And1: 5,892
Joined: May 05, 2014
     

Re: Magic sign F/C Moritz Wagner to a 2-Year Contract (Robbins) 

Post#89 » by basketballRob » Sun Aug 22, 2021 5:18 pm

Knightro wrote:
basketballRob wrote:
drsd wrote:
$1,729,217 in 2021/22
$1,878,720 in 2022/23 as a team option

It is a friendly deal for the Magic.

..
Can't imagine him signing for that. I think he gets at least 10m guaranteed.


It would absolutely blow my mind if Moritz Wagner got anything approaching $10M. I doubt his second season is fully guaranteed.

He was a street free agent that no one wanted and he joined a team playing out the string. Let's not oversell what he is or isn't.
I think there were a lot of other circumstances why he was a free agent that had nothing to do with the quality of player he is. Obviously I disagree with you 100% that he's a bad player. He's really good and will probably be a pro for a long time.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM Forums mobile app
User avatar
OrlandO
RealGM
Posts: 21,608
And1: 16,393
Joined: May 27, 2009

Re: Magic sign F/C Moritz Wagner to a 2-Year Contract (Robbins) 

Post#90 » by OrlandO » Sun Aug 22, 2021 5:27 pm

basketballRob wrote:
drsd wrote:
MoMM wrote:Any news about how much we will pay him and if the 2nd year is guaranteed?


$1,729,217 in 2021/22
$1,878,720 in 2022/23 as a team option

It is a friendly deal for the Magic.

..
Can't imagine him signing for that. I think he gets at least 10m guaranteed.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM Forums mobile app

LOL
basketballRob
RealGM
Posts: 14,848
And1: 5,892
Joined: May 05, 2014
     

Re: Magic sign F/C Moritz Wagner to a 2-Year Contract (Robbins) 

Post#91 » by basketballRob » Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:30 pm

If he only took a 2 year deal, he may have taken a little less with a player option for the second year. I originally thought he'd get something like a 3 yr. 12m deal.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM Forums mobile app
User avatar
thelead
RealGM
Posts: 27,941
And1: 15,681
Joined: Apr 08, 2008
 

Re: Magic sign F/C Moritz Wagner to a 2-Year Contract (Robbins) 

Post#92 » by thelead » Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:12 pm

basketballRob wrote:If he only took a 2 year deal, he may have taken a little less with a player option for the second year. I originally thought he'd get something like a 3 yr. 12m deal.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM Forums mobile app

Are you somehow being compensated for inflating his value? There is no way he’s worth anything more than the minimum based on his NBA career so far.
Image
User avatar
RookieStar
RealGM
Posts: 13,231
And1: 3,075
Joined: Jul 01, 2009
 

Re: Magic sign F/C Moritz Wagner to a 2-Year Contract (Robbins) 

Post#93 » by RookieStar » Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:33 pm

So... uhhh any info already how much we are paying him? I think it has to be less than what we are paying RoLo
User avatar
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
Posts: 11,342
And1: 13,393
Joined: Dec 18, 2010
Location: Orlando, FL
 

Re: Magic sign F/C Moritz Wagner to a 2-Year Contract (Robbins) 

Post#94 » by Knightro » Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:59 pm

RookieStar wrote:So... uhhh any info already how much we are paying him? I think it has to be less than what we are paying RoLo


No one knows yet. He hasn't officially signed the deal.

I suspect it's for the minimum with the 2nd year being an option for one of the two sides, but there's no telling until the deal is signed.
basketballRob
RealGM
Posts: 14,848
And1: 5,892
Joined: May 05, 2014
     

Re: Magic sign F/C Moritz Wagner to a 2-Year Contract (Robbins) 

Post#95 » by basketballRob » Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:11 pm

My guess is if it was just the minimum, they would've already finished the deal. I think they're trying to find a way to get him more without being hard capped.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM Forums mobile app
User avatar
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
Posts: 11,342
And1: 13,393
Joined: Dec 18, 2010
Location: Orlando, FL
 

Re: Magic sign F/C Moritz Wagner to a 2-Year Contract (Robbins) 

Post#96 » by Knightro » Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:59 pm

basketballRob wrote:My guess is if it was just the minimum, they would've already finished the deal. I think they're trying to find a way to get him more without being hard capped.


The hard cap is irrelevant IMO.

Even if the Magic *did* sign Wagner for the rest of the MLE (which IMO they didn't do), they would only be a shade over $115M in committed salary for this season. The tax apron (hard cap) is $143M for 21-22.

So even with Wagner on the rest of the MLE, they'd still be $28M under the hard cap. They could absorb a player using the full Fournier TPE and still be 10M under the hard cap.

It's not a consideration I don't think.
User avatar
RookieStar
RealGM
Posts: 13,231
And1: 3,075
Joined: Jul 01, 2009
 

Re: Magic sign F/C Moritz Wagner to a 2-Year Contract (Robbins) 

Post#97 » by RookieStar » Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:08 pm

Knightro wrote:
RookieStar wrote:So... uhhh any info already how much we are paying him? I think it has to be less than what we are paying RoLo


No one knows yet. He hasn't officially signed the deal.

I suspect it's for the minimum with the 2nd year being an option for one of the two sides, but there's no telling until the deal is signed.


Any chance it's Mo playing hardball? like he wants more than the min?
basketballRob
RealGM
Posts: 14,848
And1: 5,892
Joined: May 05, 2014
     

Re: Magic sign F/C Moritz Wagner to a 2-Year Contract (Robbins) 

Post#98 » by basketballRob » Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:52 pm

Knightro wrote:
basketballRob wrote:My guess is if it was just the minimum, they would've already finished the deal. I think they're trying to find a way to get him more without being hard capped.


The hard cap is irrelevant IMO.

Even if the Magic *did* sign Wagner for the rest of the MLE (which IMO they didn't do), they would only be a shade over $115M in committed salary for this season. The tax apron (hard cap) is $143M for 21-22.

So even with Wagner on the rest of the MLE, they'd still be $28M under the hard cap. They could absorb a player using the full Fournier TPE and still be 10M under the hard cap.

It's not a consideration I don't think.
I thought if they used the MLE that they'd be hard capped and wouldn't be able to use the TPE's. Lopez could've signed with our cap space. We were reportedly 5m under the cap.

You were right after I read it more. Who knows why the haven't signed Wagner yet.
basketballRob
RealGM
Posts: 14,848
And1: 5,892
Joined: May 05, 2014
     

Re: Magic sign F/C Moritz Wagner to a 2-Year Contract (Robbins) 

Post#99 » by basketballRob » Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:55 pm

RookieStar wrote:
Knightro wrote:
RookieStar wrote:So... uhhh any info already how much we are paying him? I think it has to be less than what we are paying RoLo


No one knows yet. He hasn't officially signed the deal.

I suspect it's for the minimum with the 2nd year being an option for one of the two sides, but there's no telling until the deal is signed.


Any chance it's Mo playing hardball? like he wants more than the min?
I doubt it. Pretty sure another deal is coming.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM Forums mobile app
pepe1991
RealGM
Posts: 14,790
And1: 12,081
Joined: Jan 10, 2016
   

Re: Magic sign F/C Moritz Wagner to a 2-Year Contract (Robbins) 

Post#100 » by pepe1991 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:24 am

I will be shocked if his contract passes $4M a year mark.
He played for $2M year ago
Prediction day after Vuc, Gordon, Evan departure - most fans who are celebrating birth of new rebuild will be crying how rebuild is painful before 2022-23 season ends.
Date of writeup: March 26th, 2021.

Return to Orlando Magic