ImageImageImageImage

Magic G Michael Carter-Williams Undergoes Ankle Surgery, Will Miss Start of 21-22 Season

Moderators: ChosenSavior, UCF, UCFJayBird, Knightro, Howard Mass, SOUL, Def Swami

User avatar
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
Posts: 11,341
And1: 13,392
Joined: Dec 18, 2010
Location: Orlando, FL
 

Magic G Michael Carter-Williams Undergoes Ankle Surgery, Will Miss Start of 21-22 Season 

Post#1 » by Knightro » Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:52 pm

Read on Twitter


No timetable on his return. I think we can go ahead and expect the Magic to not rush him back into the mix any time soon. Wouldn't be shocked if he misses most of the season.
User avatar
YosemiteSam
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,704
And1: 541
Joined: Dec 17, 2003

Re: Magic G Michael Carter-Williams Undergoes Ankle Surgery, Will Miss Start of 21-22 Season 

Post#2 » by YosemiteSam » Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:26 pm

Team management systematically removing veteran options for coaching staff to take minutes from developmental players. Would expect to see R Lopez as "day to day" until either WCJ or Bamba gets hurt
User avatar
fendilim
RealGM
Posts: 28,197
And1: 3,973
Joined: Jun 11, 2002
Location: 孫悟空, 时间太?!

Re: Magic G Michael Carter-Williams Undergoes Ankle Surgery, Will Miss Start of 21-22 Season 

Post#3 » by fendilim » Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:49 pm

We tanking already lol
Image
User avatar
thelead
RealGM
Posts: 27,935
And1: 15,679
Joined: Apr 08, 2008
 

Re: Magic G Michael Carter-Williams Undergoes Ankle Surgery, Will Miss Start of 21-22 Season 

Post#4 » by thelead » Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:49 pm

Why wait until a month before training camp?

All eyes on Chet
Image
User avatar
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 60,761
And1: 13,488
Joined: Feb 20, 2001
Location: Longwood, Florida
Contact:
       

Re: Magic G Michael Carter-Williams Undergoes Ankle Surgery, Will Miss Start of 21-22 Season 

Post#5 » by Howard Mass » Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:53 pm

With this, I think it's possible The Magic fill the 15th roster spot with a point guard on a non-guaranteed contract.

Markelle Fultz might not be ready for the start of the season leaving Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs and RJ Hampton as PG options.

Adding a temporary option would be good use of that spot.
R.I.P. Dharam Raghubir (A.K.A. Magnumt)

:beer:
User avatar
thelead
RealGM
Posts: 27,935
And1: 15,679
Joined: Apr 08, 2008
 

Re: Magic G Michael Carter-Williams Undergoes Ankle Surgery, Will Miss Start of 21-22 Season 

Post#6 » by thelead » Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:28 pm

Howard Mass wrote:With this, I think it's possible The Magic fill the 15th roster spot with a point guard on a non-guaranteed contract.

Markelle Fultz might not be ready for the start of the season leaving Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs and RJ Hampton as PG options.

Adding a temporary option would be good use of that spot.

Yeah... it would be great if we had some second round picks to try to find the next Khris Middleton or Nikola Jokic on the cheap...
Image
User avatar
RookieStar
RealGM
Posts: 13,230
And1: 3,075
Joined: Jul 01, 2009
 

Re: Magic G Michael Carter-Williams Undergoes Ankle Surgery, Will Miss Start of 21-22 Season 

Post#7 » by RookieStar » Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:12 pm

Why have it now though? Why not have that surgery done right after the last game of the season? MCW would have months getting back in shape and be ready for opening night
anothermagicfan
Sophomore
Posts: 244
And1: 130
Joined: Dec 28, 2016
       

Re: Magic G Michael Carter-Williams Undergoes Ankle Surgery, Will Miss Start of 21-22 Season 

Post#8 » by anothermagicfan » Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:49 pm

I do find these situations kind of odd. I hate when there isn't any info given about when an injury happens. Makes me wonder if it's one of those things that the player elects to have done instead of "playing through the pain" because he knows his role is very minimal in a contract year?

Either way mcw may not be that much of a scoring or shooting threat but I like him as a player. He plays hard and leaves it all out there on the floor. Wish him a safe and speedy recovery
User avatar
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
Posts: 11,341
And1: 13,392
Joined: Dec 18, 2010
Location: Orlando, FL
 

Re: Magic G Michael Carter-Williams Undergoes Ankle Surgery, Will Miss Start of 21-22 Season 

Post#9 » by Knightro » Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:38 pm

RookieStar wrote:Why have it now though? Why not have that surgery done right after the last game of the season? MCW would have months getting back in shape and be ready for opening night


It's possible he injured/re-injured/made it worse working out this summer, right?
User avatar
RookieStar
RealGM
Posts: 13,230
And1: 3,075
Joined: Jul 01, 2009
 

Re: Magic G Michael Carter-Williams Undergoes Ankle Surgery, Will Miss Start of 21-22 Season 

Post#10 » by RookieStar » Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:22 am

Knightro wrote:
RookieStar wrote:Why have it now though? Why not have that surgery done right after the last game of the season? MCW would have months getting back in shape and be ready for opening night


It's possible he injured/re-injured/made it worse working out this summer, right?


True... in that case shouldnt the title or article mentioned that MCW injured it and it requires surgery? Not that... " he undergoes surgery " like it was nothing but planned long ago.
User avatar
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 60,761
And1: 13,488
Joined: Feb 20, 2001
Location: Longwood, Florida
Contact:
       

Re: Magic G Michael Carter-Williams Undergoes Ankle Surgery, Will Miss Start of 21-22 Season 

Post#11 » by Howard Mass » Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:32 am

thelead wrote:
Howard Mass wrote:With this, I think it's possible The Magic fill the 15th roster spot with a point guard on a non-guaranteed contract.

Markelle Fultz might not be ready for the start of the season leaving Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs and RJ Hampton as PG options.

Adding a temporary option would be good use of that spot.

Yeah... it would be great if we had some second round picks to try to find the next Khris Middleton or Nikola Jokic on the cheap...


Magic already had enough youth coming into camp.

You bring in a second round pick, you need to commit roster spot to develop them.
R.I.P. Dharam Raghubir (A.K.A. Magnumt)

:beer:
User avatar
tiderulz
RealGM
Posts: 32,000
And1: 12,137
Joined: Jun 16, 2010
Location: Atlanta
 

Re: Magic G Michael Carter-Williams Undergoes Ankle Surgery, Will Miss Start of 21-22 Season 

Post#12 » by tiderulz » Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:01 am

Howard Mass wrote:
thelead wrote:
Howard Mass wrote:With this, I think it's possible The Magic fill the 15th roster spot with a point guard on a non-guaranteed contract.

Markelle Fultz might not be ready for the start of the season leaving Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs and RJ Hampton as PG options.

Adding a temporary option would be good use of that spot.

Yeah... it would be great if we had some second round picks to try to find the next Khris Middleton or Nikola Jokic on the cheap...


Magic already had enough youth coming into camp.

You bring in a second round pick, you need to commit roster spot to develop them.

can you not sign them and have them play in G league? Ayo would have looked good at the guard spot. can play 1 or 2
User avatar
thelead
RealGM
Posts: 27,935
And1: 15,679
Joined: Apr 08, 2008
 

Re: Magic G Michael Carter-Williams Undergoes Ankle Surgery, Will Miss Start of 21-22 Season 

Post#13 » by thelead » Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:11 am

Howard Mass wrote:
thelead wrote:
Howard Mass wrote:With this, I think it's possible The Magic fill the 15th roster spot with a point guard on a non-guaranteed contract.

Markelle Fultz might not be ready for the start of the season leaving Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs and RJ Hampton as PG options.

Adding a temporary option would be good use of that spot.

Yeah... it would be great if we had some second round picks to try to find the next Khris Middleton or Nikola Jokic on the cheap...


Magic already had enough youth coming into camp.

You bring in a second round pick, you need to commit roster spot to develop them.

Drafting a 4 year college player would not require much development... plus they're cheap... plus you're talking about adding a 15th player anyway. All IMO anyway.
Image
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 24,732
And1: 10,255
Joined: Apr 10, 2001
     

Re: Magic G Michael Carter-Williams Undergoes Ankle Surgery, Will Miss Start of 21-22 Season 

Post#14 » by Bensational » Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:29 am

Give Gravett a call up from Lakeland. He looked solid enough in summer league, knows the team and plays, is a steadier hand than Cole or RJ and also a team player. Perfect replacement for MCW’s minutes.
User avatar
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
Posts: 46,593
And1: 27,814
Joined: Dec 11, 2006
Location: 트와이스
     

Re: Magic G Michael Carter-Williams Undergoes Ankle Surgery, Will Miss Start of 21-22 Season 

Post#15 » by SOUL » Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:56 am

Bensational wrote:Give Gravett a call up from Lakeland. He looked solid enough in summer league, knows the team and plays, is a steadier hand than Cole or RJ and also a team player. Perfect replacement for MCW’s minutes.


I think MCW was only going to get minutes at the SF position/spot minutes. Maybe some early on if we're being really conservative with Suggs/Fultz/etc, but I don't see him particularly useful if he's signed.

People can think what they want about Cole and RJ based on summer league, but a guy like Gravett is not going to/nor should he get minutes at a guard spot over those guys. If we have some injuries like we did last year with the forward position, it would be nice to bring him up but otherwise.. he'd probably only play in blowouts.
User avatar
drsd
RealGM
Posts: 30,514
And1: 5,594
Joined: Mar 16, 2003
     

Re: Magic G Michael Carter-Williams Undergoes Ankle Surgery, Will Miss Start of 21-22 Season 

Post#16 » by drsd » Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:44 am

Howard Mass wrote:With this, I think it's possible The Magic fill the 15th roster spot with a point guard on a non-guaranteed contract.

Markelle Fultz might not be ready for the start of the season leaving Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs and RJ Hampton as PG options.

Adding a temporary option would be good use of that spot.


Carter-Williams was a clear 3rd stringer at both PG and SF, and would have been a fairly regular player at on of those roles.

My guess now as that the Magic goes with a 2W player as a guard, and helps the narrative of Time as the 15th player.

Having two lead-guards out on opening night is not good news though.

..
User avatar
drsd
RealGM
Posts: 30,514
And1: 5,594
Joined: Mar 16, 2003
     

Re: Magic G Michael Carter-Williams Undergoes Ankle Surgery, Will Miss Start of 21-22 Season 

Post#17 » by drsd » Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:46 am

SOUL wrote:I think MCW was only going to get minutes at the SF position/spot minutes. Maybe some early on if we're being really conservative with Suggs/Fultz/etc, but I don't see him particularly useful if he's signed.

People can think what they want about Cole and RJ based on summer league, but a guy like Gravett is not going to/nor should he get minutes at a guard spot over those guys. If we have some injuries like we did last year with the forward position, it would be nice to bring him up but otherwise.. he'd probably only play in blowouts.


Up to the New Year, there will be games where both Suggs and Anthony get to foul trouble, and the Magic will need 3rd string-miunutets at PG. That's the "cost" of youth.


..
pepe1991
RealGM
Posts: 14,788
And1: 12,081
Joined: Jan 10, 2016
   

Re: Magic G Michael Carter-Williams Undergoes Ankle Surgery, Will Miss Start of 21-22 Season 

Post#18 » by pepe1991 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:21 am

Early tanking :rofl:
Prediction day after Vuc, Gordon, Evan departure - most fans who are celebrating birth of new rebuild will be crying how rebuild is painful before 2022-23 season ends.
Date of writeup: March 26th, 2021.
jonbob17
Rookie
Posts: 1,085
And1: 513
Joined: Jul 01, 2020

Re: Magic G Michael Carter-Williams Undergoes Ankle Surgery, Will Miss Start of 21-22 Season 

Post#19 » by jonbob17 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:25 pm

drsd wrote:
SOUL wrote:I think MCW was only going to get minutes at the SF position/spot minutes. Maybe some early on if we're being really conservative with Suggs/Fultz/etc, but I don't see him particularly useful if he's signed.

People can think what they want about Cole and RJ based on summer league, but a guy like Gravett is not going to/nor should he get minutes at a guard spot over those guys. If we have some injuries like we did last year with the forward position, it would be nice to bring him up but otherwise.. he'd probably only play in blowouts.


Up to the New Year, there will be games where both Suggs and Anthony get to foul trouble, and the Magic will need 3rd string-miunutets at PG. That's the "cost" of youth.


..



I don't think it is much of a risk of two guards getting into foul trouble on a regular basis. I thought the consensus around here was we had like 5 PGs, now we don't have enough?

Is Jan 1 is what we are thinking on Fultz's return? I have heard time all over the place from the beginning of training camp on forward. I don't know, I will be surprised if it is before Jan 1, and it might be closer to Feb-All star break.
User avatar
drsd
RealGM
Posts: 30,514
And1: 5,594
Joined: Mar 16, 2003
     

Re: Magic G Michael Carter-Williams Undergoes Ankle Surgery, Will Miss Start of 21-22 Season 

Post#20 » by drsd » Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:30 pm

jonbob17 wrote:Is Jan 1 is what we are thinking on Fultz's return? I have heard time all over the place from the beginning of training camp on forward. I don't know, I will be surprised if it is before Jan 1, and it might be closer to Feb-All star break.


Yes Hampton is also featured here.

I could not see a single minute going to Carter-Williams at PG, and had him only going spot SF minutes (given that Ross will need to log huge SF minutes).

Return to Orlando Magic