ImageImageImageImage

Magic G Michael Carter-Williams Undergoes Ankle Surgery, Will Miss Start of 21-22 Season

Moderators: ChosenSavior, UCF, UCFJayBird, Knightro, Howard Mass, SOUL, Def Swami

Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 13,487

Re: Magic G Michael Carter-Williams Undergoes Ankle Surgery, Will Miss Start of 21-22 Season 

Post#21 » by Howard Mass » Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:09 pm

tiderulz wrote:
Howard Mass wrote:
thelead wrote:Yeah... it would be great if we had some second round picks to try to find the next Khris Middleton or Nikola Jokic on the cheap...

Magic already had enough youth coming into camp.

You bring in a second round pick, you need to commit roster spot to develop them.

can you not sign them and have them play in G league? Ayo would have looked good at the guard spot. can play 1 or 2

The Magic could have signed someone to a Two-Way deal or maybe traded down from 33 to someone who would as I doubt #33 would have signed a Two-Way Deal.

Still, if you sign them to a main roster spot, do you have a few years to develop them or is there anyone you want to develop in that spot?
R.I.P. Dharam Raghubir (A.K.A. Magnumt)

:beer:
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 13,487

Re: Magic G Michael Carter-Williams Undergoes Ankle Surgery, Will Miss Start of 21-22 Season 

Post#22 » by Howard Mass » Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:13 pm

thelead wrote:
Howard Mass wrote:
thelead wrote:Yeah... it would be great if we had some second round picks to try to find the next Khris Middleton or Nikola Jokic on the cheap...

Magic already had enough youth coming into camp.

You bring in a second round pick, you need to commit roster spot to develop them.

Drafting a 4 year college player would not require much development... plus they're cheap... plus you're talking about adding a 15th player anyway. All IMO anyway.

No but that roster spot would need to be committed multiple seasons.

This team already has a ton of youth. I'd have been ok with taking someone but by that, they get a future second round asset in return.

It's possible this can be used in a trade or used to help move up when someone becomes available in the 2d round the Magic want.
R.I.P. Dharam Raghubir (A.K.A. Magnumt)

:beer:
Orl_Magic
Junior
And1: 156

Post#23 » by Orl_Magic » Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:42 pm

Cant remember who was being interviewed but the player waited until the season began and got a surgery. He said " why would waste my whole offseason rehabbing in cast when i can actually enjoy my time off"

Sent from my SM-G991W using RealGM Forums mobile app
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 10,255

Post#24 » by Bensational » Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:34 am

SOUL wrote:
Bensational wrote:Give Gravett a call up from Lakeland. He looked solid enough in summer league, knows the team and plays, is a steadier hand than Cole or RJ and also a team player. Perfect replacement for MCW’s minutes.

I think MCW was only going to get minutes at the SF position/spot minutes. Maybe some early on if we're being really conservative with Suggs/Fultz/etc, but I don't see him particularly useful if he's signed.

People can think what they want about Cole and RJ based on summer league, but a guy like Gravett is not going to/nor should he get minutes at a guard spot over those guys. If we have some injuries like we did last year with the forward position, it would be nice to bring him up but otherwise.. he'd probably only play in blowouts.

I suggested Gravett because he’s exactly the type of guy who’s going to come in only expecting 3rd strong minutes, so he won’t rock the boat. But I also think he’ll get called upon more than expected if Cole or RJ are just having bad games - which is to be expected on a learning team. But neither guy would be threatened by Gravett stepping in for a stretch and getting the passing happening again.

Once Fultz is back there will be no need for Gravett and he can go back to Lakeland.

Return to Orlando Magic