ImageImageImageImage

When is Isaac Returning?

Moderators: ChosenSavior, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Knightro, SOUL, UCF, Def Swami

User avatar
Xatticus
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,542
And1: 6,451
Joined: Feb 18, 2016
Location: the land of the blind
         

Re: When is Isaac Returning? 

Post#581 » by Xatticus » Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:58 am

basketballRob wrote:
Xatticus wrote:
basketballRob wrote:Would it matter if he was doing a book about basketball with Bill Russell? Plenty of players do things when they're injured. I've saw Suggs promoting things while he's been injured.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM Forums mobile app


Yes. It's a huge difference. It's a massive difference.

I know Shapiro as the **** that went after players that kneeled for the national anthem. He attacked Kaepernick relentlessly and his argument was stupid. He kept trying to point out how bad Kaepernick was as a player, which is tantamount to attacking a feminist for being ugly. It's irrelevant.

It's one thing to choose not to kneel. It is another thing entirely to buddy up to a guy that has attacked those that chose to kneel. NBA locker rooms are full of guys that chose to kneel.
Still, it's his freedom to do what he wants to. Just like players have the freedom to kneel. What would you suggest they do, silence his free speech?

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM Forums mobile app


No. I absolutely agree with this point. You can't just dismiss the ramifications of his actions though. It's not a good look for us. None of this occurs in a vacuum. Miami is South Beach and we are what? If we get the reputation as that organization, you might as well bring in the moving trucks, because we would be the antithesis of a destination organization.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
ORLMagicGirl15
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,670
And1: 1,418
Joined: Aug 03, 2010
 

Re: When is Isaac Returning? 

Post#582 » by ORLMagicGirl15 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:44 am

Xatticus wrote:
No. I absolutely agree with this point. You can't just dismiss the ramifications of his actions though. It's not a good look for us. None of this occurs in a vacuum. Miami is South Beach and we are what? If we get the reputation as that organization, you might as well bring in the moving trucks, because we would be the antithesis of a destination organization.

I am getting the feeling that our abysmal record for the past decade is what makes us an antithesis of a destination organization.
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.-John 3:16

Go Magic, Go Dwight, Go JJ Redick :)
basketballRob
RealGM
Posts: 16,515
And1: 6,590
Joined: May 05, 2014
     

Re: When is Isaac Returning? 

Post#583 » by basketballRob » Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:49 am

Xatticus wrote:
basketballRob wrote:
Xatticus wrote:
Yes. It's a huge difference. It's a massive difference.

I know Shapiro as the **** that went after players that kneeled for the national anthem. He attacked Kaepernick relentlessly and his argument was stupid. He kept trying to point out how bad Kaepernick was as a player, which is tantamount to attacking a feminist for being ugly. It's irrelevant.

It's one thing to choose not to kneel. It is another thing entirely to buddy up to a guy that has attacked those that chose to kneel. NBA locker rooms are full of guys that chose to kneel.
Still, it's his freedom to do what he wants to. Just like players have the freedom to kneel. What would you suggest they do, silence his free speech?

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM Forums mobile app


No. I absolutely agree with this point. You can't just dismiss the ramifications of his actions though. It's not a good look for us. None of this occurs in a vacuum. Miami is South Beach and we are what? If we get the reputation as that organization, you might as well bring in the moving trucks, because we would be the antithesis of a destination organization.
I'm sure no players in the NBA care what Isaac does. I got the feeling they were happy he stands for what he believes in. No pun intended.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM Forums mobile app
LDNMagic90
Sophomore
Posts: 131
And1: 50
Joined: Apr 20, 2021
     

Re: When is Isaac Returning? 

Post#584 » by LDNMagic90 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:57 pm

Passout wrote:Shapiro, and many others, attacked kaepernick’s skills because kaepernicks supporters were saying he has the skills to still play QB and it was wrong that no team would offer him a contract. The truth is Kaepernick sucks. If he didn’t, someone would look past him being a pain in the ass and pick him up.


I mean if standing up for inequality equates to being a pain in the ass then it says a lot about where we are at as humans. Kaepernick was more than capable of being somewhat productive. If NFL teams can call up QB's like Tebow, give chances to Bortles/Siemian etc then what was the harm in giving Kaepernick a chance?

The reality is a lot of people feel uncomfortable talking about uncomfortable situations, especially when it doesn't directly affect them. So they dismiss it straight away either out of conscious ignorance or unconscious ignorance. Everyone tried to mention how it was disrespectful to the military, but America barely look after their vets and the military I'm sure said there was nothing wrong with it.
Passout
Ballboy
Posts: 13
And1: 8
Joined: Feb 06, 2016
 

Re: When is Isaac Returning? 

Post#585 » by Passout » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:34 am

I mean if you're on company time can you use their platform to express your political beliefs, no matter what they may be? No way. Should I as an NFL owner want the media clown show that inevitably will follow a Kaepernick signing? What about my head coach who has to deal with the getting questioned on why he chose to play or not play Kaep? What about my team's chemistry? You'd have to assume there are some in the locker room who don't share the love about BLM.

If he wants to crusade on his own time then God bless him and his journey, but if I'm the one signing the checks then yes, he is a giant pain in the ass.
basketballRob
RealGM
Posts: 16,515
And1: 6,590
Joined: May 05, 2014
     

Re: When is Isaac Returning? 

Post#586 » by basketballRob » Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:11 pm

Passout wrote:I mean if you're on company time can you use their platform to express your political beliefs, no matter what they may be? No way. Should I as an NFL owner want the media clown show that inevitably will follow a Kaepernick signing? What about my head coach who has to deal with the getting questioned on why he chose to play or not play Kaep? What about my team's chemistry? You'd have to assume there are some in the locker room who don't share the love about BLM.

If he wants to crusade on his own time then God bless him and his journey, but if I'm the one signing the checks then yes, he is a giant pain in the ass.
Oh geez. Isaac did the same thing by standing when everyone kneeled. You can't have everything both ways. Just leave people alone. You're pushing an agenda.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM Forums mobile app
User avatar
tiderulz
RealGM
Posts: 32,278
And1: 12,297
Joined: Jun 16, 2010
Location: Atlanta
 

Re: When is Isaac Returning? 

Post#587 » by tiderulz » Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:13 pm

LDNMagic90 wrote:
Passout wrote:Shapiro, and many others, attacked kaepernick’s skills because kaepernicks supporters were saying he has the skills to still play QB and it was wrong that no team would offer him a contract. The truth is Kaepernick sucks. If he didn’t, someone would look past him being a pain in the ass and pick him up.


I mean if standing up for inequality equates to being a pain in the ass then it says a lot about where we are at as humans. Kaepernick was more than capable of being somewhat productive. If NFL teams can call up QB's like Tebow, give chances to Bortles/Siemian etc then what was the harm in giving Kaepernick a chance?

The reality is a lot of people feel uncomfortable talking about uncomfortable situations, especially when it doesn't directly affect them. So they dismiss it straight away either out of conscious ignorance or unconscious ignorance. Everyone tried to mention how it was disrespectful to the military, but America barely look after their vets and the military I'm sure said there was nothing wrong with it.

it was a military vet (former Navy Seal i believe) that he talked with that recommended taking a knee.
LDNMagic90
Sophomore
Posts: 131
And1: 50
Joined: Apr 20, 2021
     

Re: When is Isaac Returning? 

Post#588 » by LDNMagic90 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:16 pm

basketballRob wrote:
Passout wrote:I mean if you're on company time can you use their platform to express your political beliefs, no matter what they may be? No way. Should I as an NFL owner want the media clown show that inevitably will follow a Kaepernick signing? What about my head coach who has to deal with the getting questioned on why he chose to play or not play Kaep? What about my team's chemistry? You'd have to assume there are some in the locker room who don't share the love about BLM.

If he wants to crusade on his own time then God bless him and his journey, but if I'm the one signing the checks then yes, he is a giant pain in the ass.
Oh geez. Isaac did the same thing by standing when everyone kneeled. You can't have everything both ways. Just leave people alone. You're pushing an agenda.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM Forums mobile app


Honestly…
LDNMagic90
Sophomore
Posts: 131
And1: 50
Joined: Apr 20, 2021
     

Re: When is Isaac Returning? 

Post#589 » by LDNMagic90 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:25 pm

Look I don’t want to go too far off topic and talk 'political', but the fact of the matter is this. There’s an inequality problem whether you choose to see it or not.

I don’t care how much x earns or what the profession is that does not mean that there’s no inequality with some demographics. Having money does not equate to being equal. I would want my employees to stand up for what they believe in because there’s a lot of oppression in the world.

Now Isaac choosing not to take the knee in the bubble that’s on him to be honest, if he feels like he can support in other ways then so be it. Because for the most part BLM seems to be taken in by corporations/political parties for their own benefit and in my own opinion it’s one of the reasons why so many people have opposing opinions about it.

Fact of the matter is this it’s always going to look weird for Isaac not to take the knee then a couple years later do something in the media with the people who have a problem with the movement. The movement is not the issue here it’s when it got commercialised for a gimmick, the issues are still very much there despite it seeming like it’s not.

I can’t believe the overall message has been flipped around that now people think it’s all political, it’s a joke.
User avatar
MagicStarwipe
RealGM
Posts: 16,406
And1: 11,682
Joined: May 19, 2007
 

Re: When is Isaac Returning? 

Post#590 » by MagicStarwipe » Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:38 pm

I don't follow what Isaac does away from basketball. I stopped following his socials a couple years ago because the constant preaching was annoying. I didn't even know he had a book coming out until I visited this thread.
Image
RealGM Classics - Oladipo's "rude" celebration comes back to bite him: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1358414
Rainwater
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,384
And1: 2,634
Joined: Apr 02, 2017

Re: When is Isaac Returning? 

Post#591 » by Rainwater » Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:13 am

basketballRob wrote:
Xatticus wrote:
basketballRob wrote:Still, it's his freedom to do what he wants to. Just like players have the freedom to kneel. What would you suggest they do, silence his free speech?

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM Forums mobile app


No. I absolutely agree with this point. You can't just dismiss the ramifications of his actions though. It's not a good look for us. None of this occurs in a vacuum. Miami is South Beach and we are what? If we get the reputation as that organization, you might as well bring in the moving trucks, because we would be the antithesis of a destination organization.
I'm sure no players in the NBA care what Isaac does. I got the feeling they were happy he stands for what he believes in. No pun intended.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM Forums mobile app


I think there is a difference between the Magic as a team and Issac as a person. Do I think this will stop players from signing with magic? Nope. As long as they are getting paid I doubt they care, Issac is just a Co-worker. Do I think Issac has many friends in the league? I would honestly be shocked if he did.
Magic_Kingdom
Senior
Posts: 704
And1: 561
Joined: Jun 14, 2015
         

Re: When is Isaac Returning? 

Post#592 » by Magic_Kingdom » Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:26 pm

basketballRob wrote:
Xatticus wrote:
basketballRob wrote:Still, it's his freedom to do what he wants to. Just like players have the freedom to kneel. What would you suggest they do, silence his free speech?

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM Forums mobile app


No. I absolutely agree with this point. You can't just dismiss the ramifications of his actions though. It's not a good look for us. None of this occurs in a vacuum. Miami is South Beach and we are what? If we get the reputation as that organization, you might as well bring in the moving trucks, because we would be the antithesis of a destination organization.
I'm sure no players in the NBA care what Isaac does. I got the feeling they were happy he stands for what he believes in. No pun intended.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM Forums mobile app

Players absolutely take into consideration the personality of the team leader and the social environment of the team when choosing a free agent destination. Isaac is not the team leader because he's never healthy, but he is paid as if he were the team leader. We already have a right-wing conservative ownership group that is very politically active for the side that is not representative of NBA players, so if Isaac ever plays again and becomes one of the faces of the franchise it certainly won't help. For all we know this is why he's so well-rewarded for not playing basketball and doing the conservative talk circuit -- I'm sure the DeVos family loves him.

And it's not that Isaac wrote a book or occasionally expresses unpopular beliefs -- it's that it's *all* he does. He doesn't play, he doesn't practice, he doesn't post about basketball on social media, as far as I know he hasn't given a basketball-specific interview in a long time. If you Google him the only things that come up are refusing to get vaccinated and refusing to take a knee. So why is that worth Orlando Magic cap space?
User avatar
fendilim
RealGM
Posts: 28,347
And1: 4,060
Joined: Jun 11, 2002
Location: 孫悟空, 时间太?!

Re: When is Isaac Returning? 

Post#593 » by fendilim » Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:50 pm

Magic_Kingdom wrote:
basketballRob wrote:
Xatticus wrote:
No. I absolutely agree with this point. You can't just dismiss the ramifications of his actions though. It's not a good look for us. None of this occurs in a vacuum. Miami is South Beach and we are what? If we get the reputation as that organization, you might as well bring in the moving trucks, because we would be the antithesis of a destination organization.
I'm sure no players in the NBA care what Isaac does. I got the feeling they were happy he stands for what he believes in. No pun intended.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM Forums mobile app

Players absolutely take into consideration the personality of the team leader and the social environment of the team when choosing a free agent destination. Isaac is not the team leader because he's never healthy, but he is paid as if he were the team leader. We already have a right-wing conservative ownership group that is very politically active for the side that is not representative of NBA players, so if Isaac ever plays again and becomes one of the faces of the franchise it certainly won't help. For all we know this is why he's so well-rewarded for not playing basketball and doing the conservative talk circuit -- I'm sure the DeVos family loves him.

And it's not that Isaac wrote a book or occasionally expresses unpopular beliefs -- it's that it's *all* he does. He doesn't play, he doesn't practice, he doesn't post about basketball on social media, as far as I know he hasn't given a basketball-specific interview in a long time. If you Google him the only things that come up are refusing to get vaccinated and refusing to take a knee. So why is that worth Orlando Magic cap space?

He is being paid to that contract, and rightfully so, because of his potential. Not to mention, his contract isnt even guaranteed. Lol.

No one cares about what Isaac is doing. Those are his opinion and he deserves the right to have one. At the end of the day, free agents will sign wherever they will benefit the most, personally.

Robin Lopez for one isnt fond of anti-vaxxers. Yet, he chose to sign here because he likes Disneyworld. Spencer Dinwiddie signed with the Wizards, despite Beal only taking the vaccine last month.

Also, how does him having a contract with this team makes him a team leader? Lol. It seems to me Cole Anthony is the leader of this team right now.
Image
pepe1991
RealGM
Posts: 15,356
And1: 12,532
Joined: Jan 10, 2016
   

Re: When is Isaac Returning? 

Post#594 » by pepe1991 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:07 pm

Tbh even if he misses whole this year, and half of next year, i don't see Weltman doing that thing with his contract where Isaac would lose money for being injuried. That's kind a "f*** you" and bad PR.
Prediction day after Vuc, Gordon, Evan departure - most fans who are celebrating birth of new rebuild will be crying how rebuild is painful before 2022-23 season ends.
Date of writeup: March 26th, 2021.
Rainwater
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,384
And1: 2,634
Joined: Apr 02, 2017

Re: When is Isaac Returning? 

Post#595 » by Rainwater » Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:20 pm

Magic_Kingdom wrote:
basketballRob wrote:
Xatticus wrote:
No. I absolutely agree with this point. You can't just dismiss the ramifications of his actions though. It's not a good look for us. None of this occurs in a vacuum. Miami is South Beach and we are what? If we get the reputation as that organization, you might as well bring in the moving trucks, because we would be the antithesis of a destination organization.
I'm sure no players in the NBA care what Isaac does. I got the feeling they were happy he stands for what he believes in. No pun intended.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM Forums mobile app

Players absolutely take into consideration the personality of the team leader and the social environment of the team when choosing a free agent destination. Isaac is not the team leader because he's never healthy, but he is paid as if he were the team leader. We already have a right-wing conservative ownership group that is very politically active for the side that is not representative of NBA players, so if Isaac ever plays again and becomes one of the faces of the franchise it certainly won't help. For all we know this is why he's so well-rewarded for not playing basketball and doing the conservative talk circuit -- I'm sure the DeVos family loves him.

And it's not that Isaac wrote a book or occasionally expresses unpopular beliefs -- it's that it's *all* he does. He doesn't play, he doesn't practice, he doesn't post about basketball on social media, as far as I know he hasn't given a basketball-specific interview in a long time. If you Google him the only things that come up are refusing to get vaccinated and refusing to take a knee. So why is that worth Orlando Magic cap space?


I truly think you may be making this bigger than what it really is. There are likely other conservative owners out there (we are talking about the super rich here) and, while there are probably not a lot, there are probably a few conservative players too. Just like any job you work for there will be co-workers you disagree with. And 50 percent of this country, or 50 percent of those who voted, are conservative; therefore, there is a good chance you will have to deal with someone with an opposing viewpoint at some point.
Skybox
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,069
And1: 2,699
Joined: Jan 21, 2017
 

Re: When is Isaac Returning? 

Post#596 » by Skybox » Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:00 pm

Rainwater wrote:
Magic_Kingdom wrote:
basketballRob wrote:I'm sure no players in the NBA care what Isaac does. I got the feeling they were happy he stands for what he believes in. No pun intended.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM Forums mobile app

Players absolutely take into consideration the personality of the team leader and the social environment of the team when choosing a free agent destination. Isaac is not the team leader because he's never healthy, but he is paid as if he were the team leader. We already have a right-wing conservative ownership group that is very politically active for the side that is not representative of NBA players, so if Isaac ever plays again and becomes one of the faces of the franchise it certainly won't help. For all we know this is why he's so well-rewarded for not playing basketball and doing the conservative talk circuit -- I'm sure the DeVos family loves him.

And it's not that Isaac wrote a book or occasionally expresses unpopular beliefs -- it's that it's *all* he does. He doesn't play, he doesn't practice, he doesn't post about basketball on social media, as far as I know he hasn't given a basketball-specific interview in a long time. If you Google him the only things that come up are refusing to get vaccinated and refusing to take a knee. So why is that worth Orlando Magic cap space?


I truly think you are making this bigger than what you think. There are likely other conservative owners out there (we are talking about the super rich) and, while there are probably not a lot, there are probably a few conservative players too. Just like anything job work for there will be co-workers you disagree with. And 50 percent of this country or 50 percent of those who voted are conservative, there is a good chance you will have to deal with someone with an opposing viewpoint at some point.


I would say it's even less likely as Isaac is not a player who will piss off teammates on the court as he kills himself on defense...if a guy's playing style was selfish, I could see their off-court stuff being magnified among already tense relationships, but as much as it's fun to see Cole, RJ and Chuma kickin' it on a boat...I don't think it means much. If anything, it's likely a bit difficult for RJ to watch the "not in our cool kids group" guys getting all his PT while his friends are progressing without him. That could get uncomfortable.
User avatar
swarlesbarkley
Analyst
Posts: 3,350
And1: 1,841
Joined: Jun 18, 2014
   

Re: When is Isaac Returning? 

Post#597 » by swarlesbarkley » Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:44 pm

I imagine this sort of conversation has happened before:

Cole: Yo RJ man - who's that new cutie I saw you with?
RJ: Oh man let me tell you about what I did to her last Saturday!
JI (after overhearing and then interjecting himself): Hi guys - you know the lord always watching - maybe next Saturday you both come listen to my sermon and get a secular cleanse?
Rainwater
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,384
And1: 2,634
Joined: Apr 02, 2017

Re: When is Isaac Returning? 

Post#598 » by Rainwater » Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:54 pm

swarlesbarkley wrote:I imagine this sort of conversation has happened before:

Cole: Yo RJ man - who's that new cutie I saw you with?
RJ: Oh man let me tell you about what I did to her last Saturday!
JI (after overhearing and then interjecting himself): Hi guys - you know the lord always watching - maybe next Saturday you both come listen to my sermon and get a secular cleanse?


Almost certain that is how most of the conversations go, lol.
User avatar
Last Guardian
RealGM
Posts: 23,611
And1: 2,758
Joined: Feb 22, 2004
Location: New Jersey
 

Re: When is Isaac Returning? 

Post#599 » by Last Guardian » Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:14 am

swarlesbarkley wrote:I imagine this sort of conversation has happened before:

Cole: Yo RJ man - who's that new cutie I saw you with?
RJ: Oh man let me tell you about what I did to her last Saturday!
JI (after overhearing and then interjecting himself): Hi guys - you know the lord always watching - maybe next Saturday you both come listen to my sermon and get a secular cleanse?


Meanwhile Isaac on one leg would have more of a winning impact than Cole or RJ any day of the week.
User avatar
swarlesbarkley
Analyst
Posts: 3,350
And1: 1,841
Joined: Jun 18, 2014
   

Re: When is Isaac Returning? 

Post#600 » by swarlesbarkley » Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:06 pm

Last Guardian wrote:
swarlesbarkley wrote:I imagine this sort of conversation has happened before:

Cole: Yo RJ man - who's that new cutie I saw you with?
RJ: Oh man let me tell you about what I did to her last Saturday!
JI (after overhearing and then interjecting himself): Hi guys - you know the lord always watching - maybe next Saturday you both come listen to my sermon and get a secular cleanse?


Meanwhile Isaac on one leg would have more of a winning impact than Cole or RJ any day of the week.


I think it's disingenuous to suggest that the goal of the team is the same now than it was when Isaac last played.

Return to Orlando Magic