ImageImageImageImage

When is Isaac Returning? Ruled out for the entire 2021-2022 season

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

swarlesbarkley
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,153

Re: When is Isaac Returning? 

Post#601 » by swarlesbarkley » Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:08 pm

When searching for "Jonathan Isaac" on google you are now greeted with an ad for his book on top of the search results.
Magic_Kingdom
Rookie
And1: 974

Post#602 » by Magic_Kingdom » Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:17 pm

fendilim wrote:
Magic_Kingdom wrote:
basketballRob wrote:I'm sure no players in the NBA care what Isaac does. I got the feeling they were happy he stands for what he believes in. No pun intended.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM Forums mobile app

Players absolutely take into consideration the personality of the team leader and the social environment of the team when choosing a free agent destination. Isaac is not the team leader because he's never healthy, but he is paid as if he were the team leader. We already have a right-wing conservative ownership group that is very politically active for the side that is not representative of NBA players, so if Isaac ever plays again and becomes one of the faces of the franchise it certainly won't help. For all we know this is why he's so well-rewarded for not playing basketball and doing the conservative talk circuit -- I'm sure the DeVos family loves him.

And it's not that Isaac wrote a book or occasionally expresses unpopular beliefs -- it's that it's *all* he does. He doesn't play, he doesn't practice, he doesn't post about basketball on social media, as far as I know he hasn't given a basketball-specific interview in a long time. If you Google him the only things that come up are refusing to get vaccinated and refusing to take a knee. So why is that worth Orlando Magic cap space?

He is being paid to that contract, and rightfully so, because of his potential. Not to mention, his contract isnt even guaranteed. Lol.

No one cares about what Isaac is doing. Those are his opinion and he deserves the right to have one. At the end of the day, free agents will sign wherever they will benefit the most, personally.

Robin Lopez for one isnt fond of anti-vaxxers. Yet, he chose to sign here because he likes Disneyworld. Spencer Dinwiddie signed with the Wizards, despite Beal only taking the vaccine last month.

Also, how does him having a contract with this team makes him a team leader? Lol. It seems to me Cole Anthony is the leader of this team right now.

His contract is guaranteed for at least this year and next year. There was a story saying years 3 and 4 might not be guaranteed if he can't play because of his knee, but that means the Magic would have waive to him after Year 2. As of today he is making $17.4 million per year.

He can have whatever opinions he wants, and as a fan who invests time and money into the team I'm entitled to my opinions as well. That's the way freedom of speech works. It's not a one-way street.

And again, it's not that he has opinions, it's that he seems to have made something other than basketball his calling. The fact that his opinions are likely not popular among the majority of NBA players just makes it worse. But if the man would just post a video of himself working to get back on the court once in a while then the opinion stuff would get a lot less attention.

I think most Magic fans do care what Isaac is doing, because right now the team is investing a significant amount of resources into a player whose priority does not seem to be basketball. Look how many pages are on this thread! If Isaac were posting workout videos every week and giving interviews about how hard he was trying to get back on the court would there be 30 pages on this thread? The allure of this topic is that there is no concrete evidence that he will ever play again, and it's not clear that he cares all that much.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,688

Post#603 » by basketballRob » Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:27 pm

swarlesbarkley wrote:When searching for "Jonathan Isaac" on google you are now greeted with an ad for his book on top of the search results.
If you're in the Orlando area, it's possible he'd autograph it for you. Just head down to his church on Sunday.

ChosenSavior
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 12,671

Post#604 » by ChosenSavior » Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:17 pm

Read on Twitter
Magic_Kingdom
Rookie

Post#605 » by Magic_Kingdom » Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:45 pm

So we finally get a video of Isaac on a basketball court. Non-contact solo work and not too much movement, but at least it's something.

He has now missed 126 consecutive regular season games and 157 of the past 159 regular season games.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,830

Post#606 » by MagicMatic » Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:38 pm

It would be great to get Isaac on the floor and to finish out the regular season. Followed by a trade in the off-season.

Sorry, but maybe some team out there is willing to give up real legitimate value for him. I don’t factor him into any future decision at this point because he’s just massively unreliable.

If Orlando selects one of these bigs at the top of the draft he’s got even less value in Orlando.
swarlesbarkley
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,153

Post#607 » by swarlesbarkley » Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:59 pm

Magic_Kingdom wrote:So we finally get a video of Isaac on a basketball court. Non-contact solo work and not too much movement, but at least it's something.

He has now missed 126 consecutive regular season games and 157 of the past 159 regular season games.

I haven't done the math lately but I suspect he's fallen under 40% for the amount of possible games he's played since being drafted.
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,090

Post#608 » by yoyojw17 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:42 am

Physically.... he looks pretty damn good!..

and the hair is throwing off my perception of his height and size. But he looks great!
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,893

Post#609 » by drsd » Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:56 am

swarlesbarkley wrote:When searching for "Jonathan Isaac" on google you are now greeted with an ad for his book on top of the search results.

After all the bball stat pages for Isaac, the top hit in the UK is: OMD Link on 07 Dec.

So: nothing that is reportable in Isaac in the last 6 weeks. Sad.

Magic_Kingdom
Rookie

Post#610 » by Magic_Kingdom » Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:22 pm

swarlesbarkley wrote:
Magic_Kingdom wrote:So we finally get a video of Isaac on a basketball court. Non-contact solo work and not too much movement, but at least it's something.

I haven't done the math lately but I suspect he's fallen under 40% for the amount of possible games he's played since being drafted.

You would be correct.

Isaac has played in 136 out of 357 possible games for his career, which is 38%.
T-Cat
Sixth Man
And1: 427

Post#611 » by T-Cat » Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:51 pm

They mind as well give us the championship next season, JI plus Fultz with Top pick in draft would be unstoppable!

Read on Twitter
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#612 » by basketballRob » Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:35 pm

Magic_Kingdom wrote:
swarlesbarkley wrote:

You would be correct.

Isaac has played in 136 out of 357 possible games for his career, which is 38%.
Jaren Jackson Jr. missed 52% of his games before this season. Wiseman has missed most of his games.

Magic_Kingdom
Rookie

Post#613 » by Magic_Kingdom » Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:10 pm

Wiseman is only in his second year. Isaac is in Year 5. And I think the Warriors regret drafting Wiseman.

Jackson is in his fourth year and has played in 39 (and counting) more career games than Isaac, who is in his fifth year. Jackson is also currently healthy, starting and averaging 16.5 ppg for a team that is 33-17. Isaac is . . . not doing those things.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,224

Post#614 » by pepe1991 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:19 pm

Magic_Kingdom wrote:Wiseman is only in his second year. Isaac is in Year 5. And I think the Warriors regret drafting Wiseman.

Jackson is in his fourth year and has played in 39 (and counting) more career games than Isaac, who is in his fifth year. Jackson is also currently healthy, starting and averaging 16.5 ppg for a team that is 33-17. Isaac is . . . not doing those things.

Bro, Ja Morant played 30 games more, despite being drafted 2 years after Isaac.
Edwards, drafted last year, is only 17 games behind Isaac, who was drafted half of decade ago :lol:

Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#615 » by basketballRob » Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:30 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
Magic_Kingdom wrote:Wiseman is only in his second year. Isaac is in Year 5. And I think the Warriors regret drafting Wiseman.

Edwards, drafted last year, is only 17 games behind Isaac, who was drafted half of decade ago

Isaac has been on a tanking team 3 out of 5 years and we over-exaggerate injuries.

pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,224

Post#616 » by pepe1991 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:57 pm

basketballRob wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:

Edwards, drafted last year, is only 17 games behind Isaac, who was drafted half of decade ago

Isaac has been on a tanking team 3 out of 5 years and we over-exaggerate injuries.

Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,090

Post#617 » by yoyojw17 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:38 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
basketballRob wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:

"Trust the Process" Pepe... lol
zuppafly
Assistant Coach
And1: 990

Post#618 » by zuppafly » Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:03 am

At this point, if we do get more than a first pick (10-20 range) and a raw prospect from another team, we'd be lucky. I'm very curious to see if he does get past this trade deadline with us.

17 months without any game time, big injury after big injury. He's 5 years into the league, so the chances of him getting back, athleticism intact, offensive game improved, and body ready for 82 games per season, are slim to none.

We won't be able to sell him high due to the potential he showed 2.5 years ago.
orthoman
Senior
And1: 207

Post#619 » by orthoman » Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:46 am

2024. He has to work on his floaters and build strength in both legs.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,590

Post#620 » by Skybox » Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:53 pm

basketballRob wrote:we over-exaggerate injuries.

I guess if board posters say this over and over it becomes fact :nonono: ...we don't know squat, something is definitely wrong with this guy and, at best, trainers are working on his mechanics to avoid re-injury. There's no basis to assume he's ready to go and the FO is so terrified by his overwhelming offensive impact that our team of children will suddenly win out.

Isaac definitely has the defensive tools to become an impact player on a winning team. Maybe, when he gets some actual court time, he can become a more complete player. Nothing in the world will get him there without playing live games. I don't think our FO is stifling their highest paid player's development for kicks.

Return to Orlando Magic