ImageImageImageImage

When is Isaac Returning? Ruled out for the entire 2021-2022 season

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,688

Re: When is Isaac Returning? 

Post#81 » by basketballRob » Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:50 pm

swarlesbarkley wrote:
Skybox wrote:Great...let's get another thread locked.

I don't care what he thinks (or doesn't) about Vaccines any more than I care that TRoss thinks 9/11 never happened, etc etc.

People (these days) will listen to athletes about things they may know NOTHING about (or may know everything about) more than they will listen to an expert in the field...sad but true. People yelling "shut up and dribble" are probably just on the other side of said athlete's position...Why is Scott Baio more of an authority than Lebron James (for example)? I don't blame these guys for using their platform to promote a cause, I just wish more Americans weren't dumb enough to give their opinion any weight (without considering their expertise first).

I care that the biggest knock is that he's never on the court -this isn't helping. Kyrie is absolutely f**king his teammates (who aren't getting any younger-from 1-10 on that roster). Wiggins' strong religious beliefs make me laugh...they dried up quick when he wasn't going to get paid.

Exactly. Objectively he plays less than 50% of available games and his personal decision to not be vaccinated puts the team at a disadvantage when he plays.

Skybox wrote:By the way, When is Isaac returning?

Sounds like mid-November but there have been zero updates from the team.
You can get and spread Covid, whether you're vaccinated or not.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM Forums mobile app
Sammyzc+1
Ballboy
And1: 14

Post#82 » by Sammyzc+1 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:00 pm

basketballRob wrote:
swarlesbarkley wrote:

I don't care what he thinks (or doesn't) about Vaccines any more than I care that TRoss thinks 9/11 never happened, etc etc.

People (these days) will listen to athletes about things they may know NOTHING about (or may know everything about) more than they will listen to an expert in the field...sad but true. People yelling "shut up and dribble" are probably just on the other side of said athlete's position...Why is Scott Baio more of an authority than Lebron James (for example)? I don't blame these guys for using their platform to promote a cause, I just wish more Americans weren't dumb enough to give their opinion any weight (without considering their expertise first).

I care that the biggest knock is that he's never on the court -this isn't helping. Kyrie is absolutely f**king his teammates (who aren't getting any younger-from 1-10 on that roster). Wiggins' strong religious beliefs make me laugh...they dried up quick when he wasn't going to get paid.

Exactly. Objectively he plays less than 50% of available games and his personal decision to not be vaccinated puts the team at a disadvantage when he plays.

Same can be said for the flu. The thing is if you are vaccinated and/or have antibodies from previous infection, the severity is much less. Especially with younger people. I look at this state.The infections are amongst the lowest in the country....in spite of full and unmasked stadiums/venues AND having such an "older" population. We must be doing something right. Florida will not mandate it's ballplayers. Maybe we are reaching "herd"?
AaronB
Bench Warmer
And1: 622

Post#83 » by AaronB » Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:03 pm

swarlesbarkley wrote:

Citation needed
swarlesbarkley
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,153

Post#84 » by swarlesbarkley » Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:28 pm

AaronB wrote:
swarlesbarkley wrote:

Citation needed

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/32301923/in-memo-teams-nba-crafts-protocols-requiring-unvaccinated-players-many-same-restrictions-rest-league

Of note - no indoor dining with teammates and coaches, separated from team during film sessions, and no locker near the team.
swarlesbarkley
Assistant Coach

Post#85 » by swarlesbarkley » Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:33 pm

basketballRob wrote:
swarlesbarkley wrote:

Yes.

You're also less likely to get COVID up to 6 months after vaccination (regardless of natural immunity status) which means you're LESS LIKELY to spread it.

We really don't need to turn this thread into a vaccine discussion. Can we discuss our highest paid player only playing 45% of available games instead? That's less polarizing despite also being factual.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,590

Post#86 » by Skybox » Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:39 pm

basketballRob wrote:
swarlesbarkley wrote:
basketballRob wrote:I'm pro vaccine, but I don't think it's a silver bullet.

Sir, I don't think you understand what a citation or a source is. Even as someone who is pro-vaccine you should share those "studies" you referenced so others can give them a look. I assume you're talking about this study (https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.08.24.21262415v1) which has merit but is not yet peer-reviewed and didn't test for asymptomatic cases. The CDC has standards that they adhere to and one of those standards includes only posting information based on peer-reviewed data. It's not some big conspiracy.
The CDC has been politicized in the last few years.

So has RealGM bball forum

BTW...Surgeon Generals, at all levels, are appointed ...generally, that means they agree with whatever the Boss agrees with (or they don't get considered for the job in the first place). Doesn't make them wrong or insincere, but you can't assume they are THE authority due to the job title).
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,958

Post#87 » by Xatticus » Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:42 pm

basketballRob wrote:
swarlesbarkley wrote:

Right. Shaquille O'Neal and Stephen Curry can both make free throws, so there really isn't any difference? You have to have the most rudimentary understanding of statistics to think that argument is valid.

It's not that those that get the vaccine don't appreciate that there is some risk involved, but rather that the risk is only a consideration in a larger question. People more courageous than myself signed up to test the vaccine before it was approved. All those other medications that people take to regulate whatever? People signed up to test those as well.

Everyone should be doing what they can to reduce the risk that they may serve as a vector for transmission for covid because that saves lives. That's what masks, social distancing, and vaccines are about. We are at war. The virus is the enemy. It's killing a lot of people.

I'm sure there were individuals that said something like, "well... I'm not from Pearl Harbor, so it isn't my fight. Those other suckers can sign up for a war, but I'm from Indiana and I'm not putting my ass in front of a bullet. It's all a big conspiracy. I'm ahead of the curve." To each their own.

I don't claim to be an authority on morality, but if I can potentially save lives by wearing a mask and getting a couple pokes in the arm, then sign me up. It's not a big ask. With all that time one spends in the pulpit, you'd think they'd have a better understanding of the difference between righteous and self-righteous.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,590

Post#88 » by Skybox » Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:50 pm

Xatticus wrote:
basketballRob wrote:
swarlesbarkley wrote:

Right. Shaquille O'Neal and Stephen Curry can both make free throws, so there really isn't any difference? You have to have the most rudimentary understanding of statistics to think that argument is valid.

It's not that those that get the vaccine don't appreciate that there is some risk involved, but rather that the risk is only a consideration in a larger question. People more courageous than myself signed up to test the vaccine before it was approved. All those other medications that people take to regulate whatever? People signed up to test those as well.

Everyone should be doing what they can to reduce the risk that they may serve as a vector for transmission for covid because that saves lives. That's what masks, social distancing, and vaccines are about. We are at war. The virus is the enemy. It's killing a lot of people.

I'm sure there were individuals that said something like, "well... I'm not from Pearl Harbor, so it isn't my fight. Those other suckers can sign up for a war, but I'm from Indiana and I'm not putting my ass in front of a bullet. It's all a big conspiracy. I'm ahead of the curve." To each their own.

I don't claim to be an authority on morality, but if I can potentially save lives by wearing a mask and getting a couple pokes in the arm, then sign me up. It's not a big ask. With all that time one spends in the pulpit, you'd think they'd have a better understanding of the difference between righteous and self-righteous.

I wish this thread was still about Bball...But that was perfectly stated and, IMO, can't be factually discredited without a whole different agenda. WE ARE AT WAR and some are not helping. Don't want a vax (or have a legit medical contraindication)? Fine. Stay home, mask up, be a f**king grownup.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,688

Post#89 » by basketballRob » Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:02 pm

swarlesbarkley wrote:
basketballRob wrote:
swarlesbarkley wrote:

Yes.

You're also less likely to get COVID up to 6 months after vaccination (regardless of natural immunity status) which means you're LESS LIKELY to spread it.

We really don't need to turn this thread into a vaccine discussion. Can we discuss our highest paid player only playing 45% of available games instead? That's less polarizing despite also being factual.
Yes and you could have natural immunity up to a lifetime, after having Covid.

Also at least one NBA player had blood clots after the vaccination that ended his season.

AaronB
Bench Warmer

Post#90 » by AaronB » Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:05 pm

swarlesbarkley wrote:
AaronB wrote:
swarlesbarkley wrote:

Citation needed

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/32301923/in-memo-teams-nba-crafts-protocols-requiring-unvaccinated-players-many-same-restrictions-rest-league

Of note - no indoor dining with teammates and coaches, separated from team during film sessions, and no locker near the team.

You missed the point that this is in direct violation of Florida law.

Florida law says employers cannot even ask for Vaccine verification.

Discrimination based on whether any employee is vaccinated is not allowed.

The NBA can have any policy it wants, but as long as Isaac's employer is doing business in Florida, none of these policies will be enforced.

Further, when they travel, Isaac is employed by a business primarily based in Florida and Isaac is protected by the same laws.
ORLMagicGirl15
RealGM
And1: 3,634

Post#91 » by ORLMagicGirl15 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:09 pm

Def Swami wrote:
ORLMagicGirl15 wrote:
Magic_Kingdom wrote:
Pepe, I think you are really missing the point here. If Isaac came out and said the new James Bond movie is terrible, that would be his "opinion". If he said the government should institute a flat tax or stop subsidizing the fossil fuel industry, those would be political "opinions". What Isaac did is question the science of a vaccine in the midst of a global pandemic, which is especially frustrating given how many people do look up to him and listen to him. How many young people won't get vaccinated because Isaac made comments about not trusting the scientists? It's like using your platform as a celebrity to question whether we really need to wear seatbelts, because people die in car accidents even when they are wearing them.

It's not surprising that Isaac's partner here is Kyrie, who is another science denier. When Kyrie says the earth is actually flat, is that just Kyrie's "opinion"? Uneducated, untested, unresearched opinions are not entitled to the same weight as educated, tested, researched, peer-reviewed scientific evidence. There's a difference between stating your opinion and spreading disinformation.

He did not deny the science. His main point was to asked the question why get vaccinated if you already had Covid?

From the CDC:
Yes, you should be vaccinated regardless of whether you already had COVID-19 because:

Research has not yet shown how long you are protected from getting COVID-19 again after you recover from COVID-19.
Vaccination helps protect you even if you’ve already had COVID-19.
Evidence is emerging that people get better protection by being fully vaccinated compared with having had COVID-19. One study showed that unvaccinated people who already had COVID-19 are more than 2 times as likely than fully vaccinated people to get COVID-19 again.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/faq.html?s_cid=10482:vaccine%20after%20covid:sem.ga:p:RG:GM:gen:PTN:FY21

It is recommended because the answer is “we don’t know how long the antibodies last”. When asked the question “How long does antibodies last with the vaccine? Answer is “we don’t know”. In fact, they are making people take booster shots because the efficacy dropped.

The SARS epidemic happened around 2010, a longitudinal research studies found out that those infected with SARS had antibodies after 12 years. Why is that important? Because SARS is part of the coronavirus family know as SARS-Cov-1. And just FYI, there is no vaccine for SARS.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.02.12.20021386v1

I cannot remember the article (if I find it I will edit this) but it was said that when tested if was found that those with COVID-19 had high antibody levels for up to 1 year and the data is being followed to extract the results for those who had the vaccine.
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.-John 3:16

Go Magic, Go Dwight, Go Vuc, Go Paolo, Go Keegan :)
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,224

Post#92 » by pepe1991 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:11 pm

man i wish somebody films him dribbling ball in emty street to talk goes back to basketball :lol:
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,116

Post#93 » by Def Swami » Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:09 pm

ORLMagicGirl15 wrote:
Def Swami wrote:
ORLMagicGirl15 wrote:He did not deny the science. His main point was to asked the question why get vaccinated if you already had Covid?

From the CDC:
Yes, you should be vaccinated regardless of whether you already had COVID-19 because:

Research has not yet shown how long you are protected from getting COVID-19 again after you recover from COVID-19.
Vaccination helps protect you even if you’ve already had COVID-19.
Evidence is emerging that people get better protection by being fully vaccinated compared with having had COVID-19. One study showed that unvaccinated people who already had COVID-19 are more than 2 times as likely than fully vaccinated people to get COVID-19 again.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/faq.html?s_cid=10482:vaccine%20after%20covid:sem.ga:p:RG:GM:gen:PTN:FY21

It is recommended because the answer is “we don’t know how long the antibodies last”. When asked the question “How long does antibodies last with the vaccine? Answer is “we don’t know”. In fact, they are making people take booster shots because the efficacy dropped.

The SARS epidemic happened around 2010, a longitudinal research studies found out that those infected with SARS had antibodies after 12 years. Why is that important? Because SARS is part of the coronavirus family know as SARS-Cov-1. And just FYI, there is no vaccine for SARS.

I cannot remember the article (if I find it I will edit this) but it was said that when tested if was found that those with COVID-19 had high antibody levels for up to 1 year and the data is being followed to extract the results for those who had the vaccine.

The conclusion of the study cited by the CDC is that you're twice as less likely to get COVID if you're a COVID survivor and received the vaccine. It does not draw any conclusions about the efficacy or longevity of your immunity based on natural immunity or acquired immunity.

I think if there was good data that supported natural immunity as efficacious in preventing future infections, then it would be welcome news to the entire scientific community, CDC, and population as a whole. But it does not exist yet. Until that data exists, the known quantity, the current vaccine, significantly reduces your chance for reinfection. And thus, reduces the transmission. That's all that the study is stating, and that's where the recommendation for vaccination even with previous infection comes from. If it reduces the risk for reinfection, it reduces the risk for more community transmission, thus reduces total cases, and leads us closer to the end of the pandemic.

What people choose to do with that information is up to them. But, the CDC's job is to help create guidelines for the rest of the world that ensures public safety. Not based on assumptions or theories. But, on good empiric data and experiments that they've relied upon for years. Governments and corporations will use those guidelines to create policies that they think best serve the people and their employees.
swarlesbarkley
Assistant Coach

Post#94 » by swarlesbarkley » Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:25 pm

Def Swami wrote:
ORLMagicGirl15 wrote:

The conclusion of the study cited by the CDC is that you're twice as less likely to get COVID if you're a COVID survivor and received the vaccine. It does not draw any conclusions about the efficacy or longevity of your immunity based on natural immunity or acquired immunity.

I think if there was good data that supported natural immunity as efficacious in preventing future infections, then it would be welcome news to the entire scientific community, CDC, and population as a whole. But it does not exist yet. Until that data exists, the known quantity, the current vaccine, significantly reduces your chance for reinfection. And thus, reduces the transmission. That's all that the study is stating, and that's where the recommendation for vaccination even with previous infection comes from. If it reduces the risk for reinfection, it reduces the risk for more community transmission, thus reduces total cases, and leads us closer to the end of the pandemic.

What people choose to do with that information is up to them. But, the CDC's job is to help create guidelines for the rest of the world that ensures public safety. Not based on assumptions or theories. But, on good empiric data and experiments that they've relied upon for years. Governments and corporations will use those guidelines to create policies that they think best serve the people and their employees.

Of note, which I mentioned earlier in this thread when I posted the same study, this study/article is a pre-print and not peer-reviewed yet. Still worthwhile information temporarily but not worthy making grand claims.

Also, this study didn't test for asymptomatic cases so it's tough to form any general conclusions from it besides natural immunity works better in preventing symptomatic cases of COVID in high-risk populations (since the study occurred when mRNA vaccine was waning in the first group to get it and before 3rd doses were administered).
89Magicfan
Pro Prospect
And1: 489

Post#95 » by 89Magicfan » Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:27 pm

Xatticus wrote:
basketballRob wrote:
swarlesbarkley wrote:

The FDA just admitted they don’t even know the science.
swarlesbarkley
Assistant Coach

Post#96 » by swarlesbarkley » Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:29 pm

AaronB wrote:
swarlesbarkley wrote:
AaronB wrote:
Citation needed

The NBA can have any policy it wants, but as long as Isaac's employer is doing business in Florida, none of these policies will be enforced.

Further, when they travel, Isaac is employed by a business primarily based in Florida and Isaac is protected by the same laws.

Did I miss that in the article? I don't see that mentioned at all.
AaronB
Bench Warmer

Post#97 » by AaronB » Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:33 pm

swarlesbarkley wrote:
AaronB wrote:
swarlesbarkley wrote:

Exactly
OrlMagic05
Sixth Man
And1: 1,062

Post#98 » by OrlMagic05 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:03 pm

swarlesbarkley wrote:
AaronB wrote:
swarlesbarkley wrote:

He is full of BS. This is what DeSantis wants to do but hasnt. I work for a large company and have already been asked for my vaccination card and we also have a mask mandate for ALL employees. I am sure my company did its due diligence before asking thousands of employees for their vaccine cards.
swarlesbarkley
Assistant Coach

Post#99 » by swarlesbarkley » Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:06 pm

AaronB wrote:
swarlesbarkley wrote:
AaronB wrote:

Exactly

So I missed a point that doesn't exist? You're going to have to produce something that backs up that claim.

Even if it were true (good chance it isn't), JI has self-disclosed publicly at work that he isn't vaccinated.

Edit: looks like you joined this forum a couple days after JI announced he was unvaccinated. Just an observation.
ORLMagicGirl15
RealGM
And1: 3,634

Post#100 » by ORLMagicGirl15 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:25 pm

Def Swami wrote:The conclusion of the study cited by the CDC is that you're twice as less likely to get COVID if you're a COVID survivor and received the vaccine. It does not draw any conclusions about the efficacy or longevity of your immunity based on natural immunity or acquired immunity.

Reading your response make me think that there was something I said in in my original post that I did not meant to imply. So, I will say this so that anyone else who read what I wrote do not come with the same conclusion. I absolutely agree that you should listen to the CDC. They are charged with keeping the people safe. They do the research and they collect the data. They are far and away the experts.

What I wanted to get across is that I absolutely support anyone asking question and doing their own research. If JI want to ask the question "why should I get the vaccine if I already have covid", have at it. Why do I support that? Because the science shows that those who had covid and those who have the vaccine has a lower risk of reinfection and retransmission. So I am not going to argue with someone who is protected (whether we consider the protection stronger coupled WITH the vaccine, we cannot deny they have some form of protection). They are not at the risk of getting deathly sick if they--even with lower risk of re-admission-do get covid. That's the condition.

The ones I worry about the most are those who have never had covid and will not get the vaccine. Now, they are playing with their lives. However, for those holding out on the vaccine because you're petrified of needles and waiting for the covid nasal spray vaccine-I understand. In the meanwhile please stay safe; wear your mask, wash your hands, and stay away from people.
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.-John 3:16

Go Magic, Go Dwight, Go Vuc, Go Paolo, Go Keegan :)

Return to Orlando Magic