ImageImageImageImage

The 2022 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Who is your early favorite?

Chet Holmgren
32%
Paolo Banchero
23%
Jaden Hardy
7%
Jabari Smith
35%
Jalen Duren
4%

Total votes: 101

Petre1978
Sixth Man
And1: 373

Re: The 2022 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#441 » by Petre1978 » Sun Jan 9, 2022 5:43 pm

Def Swami wrote:
Petre1978 wrote:
Def Swami wrote:Update, I changed my mind for the 4th time. I'd take Holmgren. It'll be a project. But I'd take the upside.

Why do you take Holmgren now?

You see a game like last night and you see where the upside is. Banchero is going to be good. I don't doubt it. Holmgren's timing and defensive instincts are ahead of his age. I think if he can be a generational defender and rim protector with some semblance of an offensive game or ability to stretch the floor, I think that player will ultimately hold more value than an off the bounce scorer like Banchero? You see it with Mobley this year (albeit, I think Mobley is 20 lbs heavier and a little more fluid than Holmgren). We've played with Bamba for 4 seasons and he still doesn't have a grasp of how to use his length and size to his advantage on either end of the floor. And while Holmgren is light in weight, he has at least figured out timing, positioning, and execution to be a major factor on the defensive end. If he exudes that kind of IQ on the offensive end over time, which I think he will, he'll be the best player in the draft. It's really the weight thing that gets me. Can he add enough weight to protect himself long term? Or does it matter? I don't have a great answer on that. But, if you're purely going for upside, I think Holmgren makes sense.

I'll probably flip back and forth on this as the season goes. I actually like 5 or 6 guys in this draft and would be happy with any of them.

Great post Sir.
Good arguments.

I really like Chet, his skillset is amazing for a 7 footer.
The only issue is his weight.
He should eat pasta 3 times a day :nod:

I like Holmgren, Smith Jr, Davis, Mathurin, Banchero, Murray and Jovic in this draft.
I live in Europe and watch a lot of Jovic games.
He is really good for his age.

Always an advantage when you play against professionals at a young age.

If the Magic draft a wing in the first round i hope they draft a big with a later pick.
I like Kessler from Auburn and Koloko from Arizona.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,958

Post#442 » by MagicMatic » Sun Jan 9, 2022 6:02 pm

The more I watch Chet the more I question his role at the next level. I don’t believe he will be utilized the way he has been at Gonzaga.

Defensively? Sure, he’s a disruptor because he’s long. Just difficult to gauge him when he hasn’t really shown to be a shot maker and creator on the perimeter. Thats the most interesting part of his game and why he’s so highly ranked.

The other question I have is about Paolo. He’s that classic “not quite a big but not quite a wing” guy at the next level. If I had to guess I’d say he’s like Carlos Boozer/David West with more range. How does that kind of player do in todays nba? Not sure.
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 10,011

Post#443 » by KillMonger » Sun Jan 9, 2022 8:10 pm

MagicMatic wrote:The more I watch Chet the more I question his role at the next level. I don’t believe he will be utilized the way he has been at Gonzaga.

Defensively? Sure, he’s a disruptor because he’s long. Just difficult to gauge him when he hasn’t really shown to be a shot maker and creator on the perimeter. Thats the most interesting part of his game and why he’s so highly ranked.

The other question I have is about Paolo. He’s that classic “not quite a big but not quite a wing” guy at the next level. If I had to guess I’d say he’s like Carlos Boozer/David West with more range. How does that kind of player do in todays nba? Not sure.
It's funny for me it's the opposite the more I watch the more impressed I am, keep seeing little things I haven't noticed before in games.... Like how he tries to keep the ball in play after blocks.... How he keeps his hands high on defense..... The timing and fluidity for someone that size.... The weight is an issue for me but believe it or not he doesn't get pushed around as much as you would think

Sent from my KB2003 using RealGM mobile app
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,958

Post#444 » by MagicMatic » Sun Jan 9, 2022 8:22 pm

KillMonger wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:The more I watch Chet the more I question his role at the next level. I don’t believe he will be utilized the way he has been at Gonzaga.

It's funny for me it's the opposite the more I watch the more impressed I am, keep seeing little things I haven't noticed before in games.... Like how he tries to keep the ball in play after blocks.... How he keeps his hands high on defense..... The timing and fluidity for someone that size.... The weight is an issue for me but believe it or not he doesn't get pushed around as much as you would think

Yeah I get the defensive side of Chet. He’s basically Marcus Camby on that end of the floor. However, that’s not really why he would be drafted as high as projected.

He hasn’t displayed the “Dirk- lite” tag that people claim he’s capable of becoming. Maybe that’s on Gonzaga and the system, who knows. Im not drafting Marcus Camby in 2022 with a top 3 pick with others on the board. I get that he’s a project and his frame is worrisome, but I just haven’t seen the offense this season he was heralded to have.
KillMonger
RealGM

Post#445 » by KillMonger » Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:39 am

MagicMatic wrote:
KillMonger wrote:

Yeah I get the defensive side of Chet. He’s basically Marcus Camby on that end of the floor. However, that’s not really why he would be drafted as high as projected.

He hasn’t displayed the “Dirk- lite” tag that people claim he’s capable of becoming. Maybe that’s on Gonzaga and the system, who knows. Im not drafting Marcus Camby in 2022 with a top 3 pick with others on the board. I get that he’s a project and his frame is worrisome, but I just haven’t seen the offense this season he was heralded to have.

in the zags system you won't, especially big men....i'll take camby if i feel the others on the board isn't up to par
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,597

Post#446 » by SOUL » Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:46 am

If someone was Dirk offense, Camby defense they'd be absolutely generational.

I think a lot of Chet's weaknesses are being hyper focused on but he does a lot of things super well. Obviously he will need to get stronger, but I don't think I've seen anybody pushed out of the NBA for just being "too skinny" if they have tons of skill.
Petre1978
Sixth Man

Post#447 » by Petre1978 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:51 am

Chet is being very underutilized at Gonzaga, and I think people need to understand that he's playing within their system there and is still being incredibly efficient.

His weight and frame are obviously red flags, but he's the most skilled player in the draft.

He is shooting 61% from the field, 36% from 3, averaging 3.4 blocks a game in only 25 minutes a game.
Those are pretty eye-popping numbers, he just has low usage.

For Chet, it might be a good idea to fall back on his high school tape.
His numbers at Gonzaga don't reflect how good he is.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,292

Post#448 » by pepe1991 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:52 am

IMO all 3 top prospects are being overhyped a bit.

Chet in nba will struggle on offensive end a lot. Once you figure Kevin Durant in rookie year ,playin shooting guard had 20 pounds on Chet today , red flags have to be raised. Skinniest center i could remember entering nba draft was Noel. And before college season even ended, he already had one nba- season ending injury.
Second is Bender, who had some passing and shooting chops but non of it translated into nba because he was simply toothpick. He was also hurt a lot.
Than you have Bol Bol, and Bol Bol isn't nba player, 3 years after a draft he never showed any ability to be so. Same Bol averaged 21 ppg in 9 games at college level and dominated competition. But in nba, being complete no- inside-presence means you are catch& shoot center. To this date, there hasn't been one good player who fitted that mold ( Porzingis? But you look Bamba, he is execlly that and we can't flash the toilet out of that bust soon enough ).

There is simply huge probability that in first few years of Chat, he will be hurt a lot. Also addition of 40 pounds will probably limit his mobility, one that makes him unique today. Pokuševski in year two showed zero ability to gain weight and expand his game, and last year he was "nba junkies favorite shiny new toy". Not so much this year. ( me included tbh).

Banchero is scorer... who is tweener at next level. Jabari Parker / Derick Williams / Carlos Boozer / highest ceiling Chris Webber?
There is lot of "eating first" mentality going on with him. He first looks to shoot, than he looks how to attack off dribble, than he again thinks about shooting... Than maybe he will pass.

I already posted in past about Jabari. Lot of things are highlited about him and questions and negatives are ignored. He struggles to create much off dribble, he is bit awkard when he moves, he plays with high energy but he is also better suited in role of not go-to scorer but player who will need elite ballhandler to unlock his game.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
Petre1978
Sixth Man

Post#449 » by Petre1978 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:09 am

Petre1978
Sixth Man

Post#450 » by Petre1978 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:07 am

He is been playing a lot better lately after a shaky start.
I like the fact that he wasn't settling for tough jumpers but instead used his athleticism and attacked the basket.
Also some really good passes.
KillMonger
RealGM

Post#451 » by KillMonger » Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:38 pm

hardy is starting to heat up
JTG_92940618
Rookie
And1: 472

Post#452 » by JTG_92940618 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:25 am

The Ringer did an in-depth article on Jabari Smith Jr - https://www.theringer.com/2022/1/11/22876836/2022-nba-draft-jabari-smith-jr-auburn

Incidentally, the Auburn V Alabama game just finished. I'm assuming this is the best game Smith has played because 25 points is his high and the shooting was exceptional. More than that though, he had 3 first-half blocks (credited with 4 in total, so I missed one somewhere) and 2 steals. The last of these steals was timely in a close game. He also nabbed some important rebounds and contested outside shots well late in the game.

JD Davidson also threw down a dunk on Kessler which is worth seeing.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,719

Post#453 » by basketballRob » Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:16 am

Jabari is working on his crane move. Mr. Miyagi says that it's indefensible.

Read on Twitter
?t=5ER_mZsqy8CEmu3jvTejUQ&s=19

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM Forums mobile app
KillMonger
RealGM

Post#454 » by KillMonger » Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:09 am

don't get me wrong Jabari, you are a great prospect but man....can i get a little more than just a jab step? you don't have anything else in your bag?
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,149

Post#455 » by Def Swami » Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:41 pm

KillMonger wrote:

don't get me wrong Jabari, you are a great prospect but man....can i get a little more than just a jab step? you don't have anything else in your bag?

He's a year younger than the rest of the crop and he's dropping 25 with really only a face up game. The play at 02:47 though is tough. And I think he'd fit really nicely in our front court.
KillMonger
RealGM

Post#456 » by KillMonger » Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:23 pm

Def Swami wrote:
KillMonger wrote:

He's a year younger than the rest of the crop and he's dropping 25 with really only a face up game. The play at 02:47 though is tough. And I think he'd fit really nicely in our front court.
I get it no doubt, however I'm hearing Durant but off of what I'm seeing? Nowhere near

RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,828

Post#457 » by RookieStar » Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:25 pm

I do wonder though... our FRP must be heck of a prime asset. Do you think our FO is thinking about trade for a star? Someone who will sign with us long term to be "the man" of the team while leading oue youngins?

Is there even a player like that? Lol

If not... cant wait for March Madness when these players will be dissected even more.
PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,380

Post#458 » by PrimeThyme » Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:34 pm

I absolutely cannot say enough about Jabari's motor.

To be as high of a recruit as he was, to be a consensus top 3 draft pick on a top 5 team, and to play/rim run as hard as he does is perhaps the biggest green flag I've seen from a prospect with his measurables/skillset in a long time. Seriously, just watch that video and see how high his motor runs. I'm all in.

As far as the shot goes, it's so fluid. At 6'11 he can just get it off over anybody at the college level and I think that's why we're seeing a lack of creativity at times. But honestly though, if what we've seen so far is the baseline an NBA team has to start with, how couldn't you be ecstatic at the idea of drafting him?
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,597

Post#459 » by SOUL » Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:48 pm

KillMonger wrote:
Def Swami wrote:
KillMonger wrote:

I get it no doubt, however I'm hearing Durant but off of what I'm seeing? Nowhere near

Durant is a top 10 talent of all time, any direct comparison is hyperbolic but the Durant we saw in college wasn't a finished product either. These players won't change completely at the next level but adding small wrinkles to their game (like Franz) can raise the ceilings of some prospects by a lot.
p0peye
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,000

Post#460 » by p0peye » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:11 pm

Jabari looks as proper SF/PF prospect to slot next to Wagner who'd be SG/SF.

Return to Orlando Magic