ImageImageImageImage

Who is our starting PG for 2022 playoffs?

Moderators: ChosenSavior, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Knightro, SOUL, UCF, Def Swami

Skybox
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,695
And1: 2,538
Joined: Jan 21, 2017
 

Who is our starting PG for 2022 playoffs? 

Post#1 » by Skybox » Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:49 pm

I honestly think it's Fultz

...if he never gets his shot back, Suggs by default. I don't see Cole/Suggs as our long-term solution.

I think Suggs is our SG but handles the ball a lot...like CJ McCollum or Jrue Holiday. I don't know if he's really a PG. Jrue Holiday plays a lot of PG but would tell you he's not a PG. When Wall gets hurt, Beal gets 9 assists to go along with his usual 25. Same with CJ when Dame is out...but none have been handed a real PG title. The exception is Harden, who was never a PG until Morey unleashed him as the primary ball handler in HOU- but that's an unusual setup and he benefitted/needed a true PG next to him on occasion, to at least give him a break once in a while.

I don't know where Cole fits in. He's doing great and I love his fire. He MIGHT maintain his present scoring. He MAY become more efficient. He COULD become a better leader and do a better job of elevating others. His defense MIGHT come around. I don't know why, maybe it's just a gut feeling, but I just don't see him being the leader of the Magic for any significant team success.

I think Fultz and Suggs have more long-term substance. Maybe I'm crazy. Two big, physical players who can bully guys on the way to the rim and defensively looks more promising to me. Obviously, shooting is a big thing. I'm one of the few that felt Fultz' midrange game might be enough and that he's got more to show when he gets healthy.

Maybe RJ is good enough to be the third guard...I don't know. I'd like a bigger scoring wing and guys who can really shoot ideally and I just don't see much progress from RJ...but I'd like to be wrong. Depending on how the chips fall with the rest of the lineup, Franz can play 2/3 potentially...Suggs/Franz is not impossible for me to envision, with another Franz-type at 3.
Bergmaniac
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,773
And1: 7,111
Joined: Jan 08, 2010
 

Re: Who is our starting PG for 2022 playoffs? 

Post#2 » by Bergmaniac » Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:31 pm

What playoffs?
User avatar
Horcy
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,624
And1: 237
Joined: Apr 27, 2006
Location: Buenos Aires - Argentina - HORCAS RELOADED!!!

Re: Who is our starting PG for 2022 playoffs? 

Post#3 » by Horcy » Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:35 pm

This thread is completely senseless
RichCollab
Freshman
Posts: 88
And1: 22
Joined: Oct 23, 2019
         

Re: Who is our starting PG for 2022 playoffs? 

Post#4 » by RichCollab » Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:38 pm

Fultz
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 24,841
And1: 10,355
Joined: Apr 10, 2001
     

Re: Who is our starting PG for 2022 playoffs? 

Post#5 » by Bensational » Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:03 pm

Skybox wrote:I honestly think it's Fultz

...if he never gets his shot back, Suggs by default. I don't see Cole/Suggs as our long-term solution.

I think Suggs is our SG but handles the ball a lot...like CJ McCollum or Jrue Holiday. I don't know if he's really a PG. Jrue Holiday plays a lot of PG but would tell you he's not a PG. When Wall gets hurt, Beal gets 9 assists to go along with his usual 25. Same with CJ when Dame is out...but none have been handed a real PG title. The exception is Harden, who was never a PG until Morey unleashed him as the primary ball handler in HOU- but that's an unusual setup and he benefitted/needed a true PG next to him on occasion, to at least give him a break once in a while.

I don't know where Cole fits in. He's doing great and I love his fire. He MIGHT maintain his present scoring. He MAY become more efficient. He COULD become a better leader and do a better job of elevating others. His defense MIGHT come around. I don't know why, maybe it's just a gut feeling, but I just don't see him being the leader of the Magic for any significant team success.

I think Fultz and Suggs have more long-term substance. Maybe I'm crazy. Two big, physical players who can bully guys on the way to the rim and defensively looks more promising to me. Obviously, shooting is a big thing. I'm one of the few that felt Fultz' midrange game might be enough and that he's got more to show when he gets healthy.

Maybe RJ is good enough to be the third guard...I don't know. I'd like a bigger scoring wing and guys who can really shoot ideally and I just don't see much progress from RJ...but I'd like to be wrong. Depending on how the chips fall with the rest of the lineup, Franz can play 2/3 potentially...Suggs/Franz is not impossible for me to envision, with another Franz-type at 3.


It will be interesting. Feels like each of them has a case to be made for potentially stepping up.

However, I think you’re sleeping on Franz and his potential to be one of our lead playmakers in the future. He’s smart with the ball, he’s proving to be able to beat his guy and finish but also know when to pass back out. He could be the secret sauce that compensates where Suggs/Cole might fall short as playmakers?

That said - I’m still very bullish on Suggs. I just feel confident he will figure out what he needs to do to get an edge and a win over the next few years. His instincts for facilitating and running the team will improve, but at the same time the team is going to develop stronger chemistry as well.

I’m not ruling Cole out as someone who can find a healthy balance between his desire to get buckets and his duty to get his teammates involved. But he has also looked great off ball lately, with back door cuts and getting open on the perimeter.

Fultz isn’t done yet. I’ll be very interested to see how he takes to a team with no pressure to be a winner but still an expectation to compete every night. Could be the environment he needs to really let loose on offense? I may not be confident, but I’m still very hopeful for him.
Skybox
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,695
And1: 2,538
Joined: Jan 21, 2017
 

Re: Who is our starting PG for 2022 playoffs? 

Post#6 » by Skybox » Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:29 am

Horcy wrote:This thread is completely senseless


feel free to skip it without comment
Skybox
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,695
And1: 2,538
Joined: Jan 21, 2017
 

Re: Who is our starting PG for 2022 playoffs? 

Post#7 » by Skybox » Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:34 am

Bensational wrote:
Skybox wrote:I honestly think it's Fultz

...if he never gets his shot back, Suggs by default. I don't see Cole/Suggs as our long-term solution.

I think Suggs is our SG but handles the ball a lot...like CJ McCollum or Jrue Holiday. I don't know if he's really a PG. Jrue Holiday plays a lot of PG but would tell you he's not a PG. When Wall gets hurt, Beal gets 9 assists to go along with his usual 25. Same with CJ when Dame is out...but none have been handed a real PG title. The exception is Harden, who was never a PG until Morey unleashed him as the primary ball handler in HOU- but that's an unusual setup and he benefitted/needed a true PG next to him on occasion, to at least give him a break once in a while.

I don't know where Cole fits in. He's doing great and I love his fire. He MIGHT maintain his present scoring. He MAY become more efficient. He COULD become a better leader and do a better job of elevating others. His defense MIGHT come around. I don't know why, maybe it's just a gut feeling, but I just don't see him being the leader of the Magic for any significant team success.

I think Fultz and Suggs have more long-term substance. Maybe I'm crazy. Two big, physical players who can bully guys on the way to the rim and defensively looks more promising to me. Obviously, shooting is a big thing. I'm one of the few that felt Fultz' midrange game might be enough and that he's got more to show when he gets healthy.

Maybe RJ is good enough to be the third guard...I don't know. I'd like a bigger scoring wing and guys who can really shoot ideally and I just don't see much progress from RJ...but I'd like to be wrong. Depending on how the chips fall with the rest of the lineup, Franz can play 2/3 potentially...Suggs/Franz is not impossible for me to envision, with another Franz-type at 3.


It will be interesting. Feels like each of them has a case to be made for potentially stepping up.

However, I think you’re sleeping on Franz and his potential to be one of our lead playmakers in the future. He’s smart with the ball, he’s proving to be able to beat his guy and finish but also know when to pass back out. He could be the secret sauce that compensates where Suggs/Cole might fall short as playmakers?

That said - I’m still very bullish on Suggs. I just feel confident he will figure out what he needs to do to get an edge and a win over the next few years. His instincts for facilitating and running the team will improve, but at the same time the team is going to develop stronger chemistry as well.

I’m not ruling Cole out as someone who can find a healthy balance between his desire to get buckets and his duty to get his teammates involved. But he has also looked great off ball lately, with back door cuts and getting open on the perimeter.

Fultz isn’t done yet. I’ll be very interested to see how he takes to a team with no pressure to be a winner but still an expectation to compete every night. Could be the environment he needs to really let loose on offense? I may not be confident, but I’m still very hopeful for him.


I'm not sleeping on Franz...he's the only thing on the team I feel pretty certain about. He's logically a 3, but depending on who else we add or discover within, he could slide to 2 or maybe even 4. His playmaking is great. The way he drives, at his size, makes him a huge problem for a defense...leave him alone, he finishes over his guy. Converge to help at the rim and you leave open shooters on the perimeter. Kind of the way I see Fultz but with better 3pt shooting and defense.
MasterGMer
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,374
And1: 235
Joined: Dec 09, 2011
   

Re: Who is our starting PG for 2022 playoffs? 

Post#8 » by MasterGMer » Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:01 am

I think Suggs will definitely be a starter for us in the near future, with or without Cole/Fultz
Passout
Ballboy
Posts: 8
And1: 5
Joined: Feb 06, 2016
 

Re: Who is our starting PG for 2022 playoffs? 

Post#9 » by Passout » Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:35 am

Skybox wrote:I honestly think it's Fultz

...if he never gets his shot back, Suggs by default. I don't see Cole/Suggs as our long-term solution.

I think Suggs is our SG but handles the ball a lot...like CJ McCollum or Jrue Holiday. I don't know if he's really a PG. Jrue Holiday plays a lot of PG but would tell you he's not a PG. When Wall gets hurt, Beal gets 9 assists to go along with his usual 25. Same with CJ when Dame is out...but none have been handed a real PG title. The exception is Harden, who was never a PG until Morey unleashed him as the primary ball handler in HOU- but that's an unusual setup and he benefitted/needed a true PG next to him on occasion, to at least give him a break once in a while.

I don't know where Cole fits in. He's doing great and I love his fire. He MIGHT maintain his present scoring. He MAY become more efficient. He COULD become a better leader and do a better job of elevating others. His defense MIGHT come around. I don't know why, maybe it's just a gut feeling, but I just don't see him being the leader of the Magic for any significant team success.

I think Fultz and Suggs have more long-term substance. Maybe I'm crazy. Two big, physical players who can bully guys on the way to the rim and defensively looks more promising to me. Obviously, shooting is a big thing. I'm one of the few that felt Fultz' midrange game might be enough and that he's got more to show when he gets healthy.

Maybe RJ is good enough to be the third guard...I don't know. I'd like a bigger scoring wing and guys who can really shoot ideally and I just don't see much progress from RJ...but I'd like to be wrong. Depending on how the chips fall with the rest of the lineup, Franz can play 2/3 potentially...Suggs/Franz is not impossible for me to envision, with another Franz-type at 3.


I agree with you on the Fultz/Suggs starting back court. The obvious concern is shooting, but Suggs looks like his shot is starting to come along and will likely continue to improve. i don't really worry too much about Fultz either. He's a worker and will eventually figure out the deep ball. I can't see any reason why he can pull up from 18 feet with beautiful form, but not from 24 feet. He's going to get there. He's going to need this season to just get back to form though after the ACL. Next season is where he shines.

IMO Cole will likely end up as our off the bench instant offense. Let him feast on second unit and be a quite capable starter if one of our guys goes down with an injury.

I'm a little more optimistic about RJ and am looking forward for when Ross and Harris get shipped out so he can get some more burn to see if he can gain some consistency. His 3 ball shot is looking good already. Franz has to be on the court so whatever slot is open 1-5 slide him in and let it ride.
User avatar
drsd
RealGM
Posts: 30,901
And1: 5,774
Joined: Mar 16, 2003
     

Re: Who is our starting PG for 2022 playoffs? 

Post#10 » by drsd » Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:30 am

Bergmaniac wrote:What playoffs?


The "2022 playoffs" is the post-season tournament of this season. By 538, the Magic currently has a >0.1 chance to make the playoffs.

The 10-seed for the playins is currently the 9-8 Sixers, for perspective of the hill the Magic must climb wining wise. Let's predict that the 10-seed will need 39-43 record, that means Orlando needs to go 35-30 the rest of the way.

Make it so! Just win.


But seriously, if the Magic make the plains this year, Anthony starts.


.....


Now let's assume this is a typo and what is meant is who starts for Orlando in the playoffs after next season's conclusion. That is a major question to ask because, a) we have no idea what the PG rotation will look line 1 1/2 seasons of games from now and b) we have no idea if Anthony or Fultz will even be Magicians.

If there is no block-buster trade and the Magic management go incremental with the roster, my guess is that Orlando's end of season rotation for 2022/23 ill look like:

Fultz/Anthony/some LLE vet
Suggs/Hampton/some LLE vet
F-Wagner/Ross/a rookie*
Isaac/Okeke/M-Wagner
Carter/Bamba/some LLE vet

Therefore my answer is Fultz.



* = Chet Holmgren is currently slated to Orlando on mocks, and the idea of him as a 3rd stringer will definitely, undoubtedly force Management to-not-go incremental with the roster.

..
p0peye
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,966
And1: 2,038
Joined: Feb 27, 2006
 

Re: Who is our starting PG for 2022 playoffs? 

Post#11 » by p0peye » Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:56 pm

Impossible to make any kind of long term plans, we can only speculate or dream, if you like. Based on what we are seeing in this moment, only scorers we have on roster are Cole and Ross, so one of them needs to start. It will be really interesting to see how Franz develops, he could blossom and potentially make everything click.
Badass of the week: Milunka Savic
Single most-decorated female soldier in world military history.
p0peye
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,966
And1: 2,038
Joined: Feb 27, 2006
 

Re: Who is our starting PG for 2022 playoffs? 

Post#12 » by p0peye » Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:59 pm

Also, mandatory...

Badass of the week: Milunka Savic
Single most-decorated female soldier in world military history.
User avatar
OrlandO
RealGM
Posts: 21,626
And1: 16,413
Joined: May 27, 2009

Re: Who is our starting PG for 2022 playoffs? 

Post#13 » by OrlandO » Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:05 pm

We're in last place with second worst point differential in the East... Did you mean 2023 playoffs?
User avatar
RookieStar
RealGM
Posts: 13,733
And1: 3,233
Joined: Jul 01, 2009
 

Re: Who is our starting PG for 2022 playoffs? 

Post#14 » by RookieStar » Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:35 pm

p0peye wrote:Also, mandatory...



Ah yes.. was waiting for this. lol
User avatar
Ducklett
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,171
And1: 3,504
Joined: Jul 17, 2012
 

Re: Who is our starting PG for 2022 playoffs? 

Post#15 » by Ducklett » Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:12 pm

Paolo is pretty good. Happy Thanksgiving! Anyone making cranberry stuff?
User avatar
Max Power
Head Coach
Posts: 6,545
And1: 1,019
Joined: Nov 30, 2001
Location: Orlando

Re: Who is our starting PG for 2022 playoffs? 

Post#16 » by Max Power » Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:22 pm

Jim Mora was a must have for this thread. Bravo.
You look confused...let me fill you in.
User avatar
Horcy
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,624
And1: 237
Joined: Apr 27, 2006
Location: Buenos Aires - Argentina - HORCAS RELOADED!!!

Re: Who is our starting PG for 2022 playoffs? 

Post#17 » by Horcy » Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:43 pm

Skybox wrote:
Horcy wrote:This thread is completely senseless


feel free to skip it without comment


Ok.
User avatar
Bigmagicfan82
Starter
Posts: 2,242
And1: 249
Joined: Oct 06, 2003

Re: Who is our starting PG for 2022 playoffs? 

Post#18 » by Bigmagicfan82 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:16 am

Cole
User avatar
thelead
RealGM
Posts: 28,551
And1: 16,251
Joined: Apr 08, 2008
 

Re: Who is our starting PG for 2022 playoffs? 

Post#19 » by thelead » Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:50 am

2022 playoffs? As in, this season's playoffs? :lol:
Image
Statlanta
General Manager
Posts: 8,173
And1: 5,782
Joined: Mar 06, 2016

Re: Who is our starting PG for 2022 playoffs? 

Post#20 » by Statlanta » Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:52 am

It would be Markell if he were healthy
Pachinko_ wrote:
iamworthy wrote:Serious question, what's the purpose of this thread?

Exactly the same as every other thread: talk hoops instead of working.

Return to Orlando Magic