ImageImageImageImage

NBA Trade Deadline Feb 10th

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

YosemiteSam
Sixth Man
And1: 784

Re: NBA Trade Deadline Feb 10th 

Post#261 » by YosemiteSam » Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:56 pm

Trade idea from the Chad Ford newsletter:

Trade 2: Ben Simmons to the Magic

Magic receive: Ben Simmons and Paul Reed.
Sixers receive: Jonathan Isaac, Cole Anthony and Terrence Ross.

Why the Magic say yes
As noted, Weltman and Hammond just signed extensions and can feel free to swing for the fences. Their penchant for gambling on talent has been evident over the years, including in another trade with Philadelphia for a former No. 1 pick when they acquired Markelle Fultz.

This trade — creating a young core of Fultz, Jalen Suggs, Franz Wagner, Simmons and Mo Bamba — would create a brand new future for the Magic and fit their M.O.

Why the Sixers say yes
Anthony is having a breakout sophomore year, Isaac is a young player with tremendous upside if he can ever get healthy, and Ross would bring explosive scoring ability off the bench.

Why the Magic say no
Trading Isaac, who they really like, would be tough. This team would really struggle shooting the basketball. Is Simmons ready to play? Will he want to play in Orlando? How is his mental health? As with the Hawks above, the Magic would have to use due diligence on those questions.

Why the Sixers say no
Morey has been adamant that he wants a star in return for Simmons, and a combo of Isaac, Anthony and Ross doesn’t really qualify.

What will Isaac be when he’s healthy? Can Anthony keep up this production on a playoff team?

Rival GM’s take
This is more realistic in terms of what I think the Sixers will likely have to settle for. If they can get Lillard, great. But if they can’t, it may just be trading a guy who is giving you nothing but headaches right now for a collection of players who give you depth and upside. It’s not a home run deal, but as we get closer to the trade deadline, a double should be good.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,489

Post#262 » by Skybox » Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:35 pm

YosemiteSam wrote:Trade idea from the Chad Ford newsletter:

Why the Magic say yes
As noted, Weltman and Hammond just signed extensions and can feel free to swing for the fences. Their penchant for gambling on talent has been evident over the years, including in another trade with Philadelphia for a former No. 1 pick when they acquired Markelle Fultz.

This trade — creating a young core of Fultz, Jalen Suggs, Franz Wagner, Simmons and Mo Bamba — would create a brand new future for the Magic and fit their M.O.

Why the Sixers say yes
Anthony is having a breakout sophomore year, Isaac is a young player with tremendous upside if he can ever get healthy, and Ross would bring explosive scoring ability off the bench.

Why the Magic say no
Trading Isaac, who they really like, would be tough. This team would really struggle shooting the basketball. Is Simmons ready to play? Will he want to play in Orlando? How is his mental health? As with the Hawks above, the Magic would have to use due diligence on those questions.

Why the Sixers say no
Morey has been adamant that he wants a star in return for Simmons, and a combo of Isaac, Anthony and Ross doesn’t really qualify.

What will Isaac be when he’s healthy? Can Anthony keep up this production on a playoff team?

Rival GM’s take
This is more realistic in terms of what I think the Sixers will likely have to settle for. If they can get Lillard, great. But if they can’t, it may just be trading a guy who is giving you nothing but headaches right now for a collection of players who give you depth and upside. It’s not a home run deal, but as we get closer to the trade deadline, a double should be good.

Too good to be true...Morey hangs up. Maybe if we inlcuded one of our frps (DEN or CHI). Simmons at PF makes another look at Bamba somewhat enticing (Simmons provides everything defensively that Isaac does except the rim protection). Offensively, Simmons is miles ahead of Isaac. I don't know that Fultz has a spot on a Simmons team. Simmons and Franz at the forwards :o lets us fill in our guard spots with shooters (as the forwards are both ball handler/initiators in both full and half-court scenarios). We start grabbing up all of the undervalued shooters we can find for our other (suddenly) misfits (RJ, MCW, Fultz, draft picks, whatever) for Seth Curry, Corey Kispert, Nesmith, Vassell types...I just don't see it for PHI, but, IF needed, maybe we could sweeten by taking Tobias off of their hands - with our Harris providing much of the matching $$. Don't get me wrong, absorbing Tobias is significant, but also consider how well he played and shot with PHI when Simmons was hitting him with open shot assists.

After all of that, we'd actually be younger as well as much higher upside. We'd have enough potential to strongly look at moving our high '22 pick for a "sort of" offensive star to run with Simmons and Franz.
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,632

Post#263 » by Skin » Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:01 pm

Simmons is the exact opposite of what we need.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
The Effect
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 2,052

Post#264 » by The Effect » Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:13 pm

Ducklett wrote:
MasterGMer wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read the whole article. This tweet was one statement in a huge write up about Bamba to Detroit for Jerami Grant going to a third team for "young pieces". I was fascinated to read about that, to be honest.

Hmm i figured Grant had higher value than that, but hey that sounds good to me
The Effect
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 2,052

Post#265 » by The Effect » Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:13 pm

Why the Magic say yes

Why the Sixers say yes

Why the Magic say no

Why the Sixers say no

Rival GM’s take

Nah im good on that
If they want to swap Cole for RJ or bamba, id be up for it, but im not trading cole in that deal
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 23,907

Post#266 » by Knightro » Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:20 pm

^ I would 100% do this of course. Magic would have to move Fultz in short order, but so be it.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,124

Post#267 » by pepe1991 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:20 pm

Too good to be true...
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
nicnac215
Sixth Man
And1: 536

Post#268 » by nicnac215 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:23 pm

I think one of Ross or Harris is gone. I love both of them but their just won’t be time with players returning from injury. We need to build around Franz primarily. Once everyone returns from injury hopefully we can see who has the best chemistry with him and build off that core.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,663

Post#269 » by MagicMatic » Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:33 pm

Skin wrote:Simmons is the exact opposite of what we need.

Instantly the worst shooting team in the league.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 23,907

Post#270 » by Knightro » Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:46 pm

Talent is talent and the Magic need more of it.

Simmons can't shoot? Ok well Jonathan Isaac can't even play in a game.

Simmons defends at a high level, rebounds at a high level, creates shots for others at a high level.

Put him on the ball, trade Fultz, let Suggs defend the opposing PG with Simmons defending the top wing.

Don't have enough shooting? Ok. Draft Jabari in the lotto and then go out and sign Malik Monk in free agency. Two potential 40% 3PT shooters added to the mix in one swoop.

The Magic just really aren't in a position to thumb their noses at any trades where they get the best player in the deal without giving up a single draft asset.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,124

Post#271 » by pepe1991 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:51 pm

MagicMatic wrote:
Skin wrote:Simmons is the exact opposite of what we need.

Instantly the worst shooting team in the league.

Today we are top 3 worst in eFG, TS and 3% so it's not like we are far off.

Magic need talent more than anything, Simmons is exponentionally more talented than any Magic player by wide margin. Perfect player ? Not even close. But player who is clear top 30 nba player when he plays.

And in this trade what execlly Magic give up?
Isaac who never plays. Cole Anthony who is 53% TS -20 shots a game chucker and black hole Ross? Sign me in, that's not trade, that's robbery.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
3ddman23
General Manager
And1: 2,532

Post#272 » by 3ddman23 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:51 pm

Why the Magic say yes

Why the Sixers say yes

Why the Magic say no

Why the Sixers say no

Rival GM’s take

Honestly I'd do this. Why not? What do we really have to lose on a trade like this? Issac is always injured can never say how healthy he has been. Ross is a gone not matter what. I guess giving up cole would suck a bit bur it clears up the back court some. He'll throw bamba In there as well.

You get a guy who has been a all star a couple of times (while not being able to shoot) who also has ties to central Florida(montverde) and Paul redd has a bit of talent as well and is also from orlando.

Just do It get the talent and figure it out later. We are horrible why not.
GO MAGIC
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,114

Post#273 » by Def Swami » Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:53 pm

Simmons instantly becomes the best asset on the Magic. I do that deal immediately.
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,110

Post#274 » by zaymon » Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:17 pm

Knightro wrote:Talent is talent and the Magic need more of it.

Simmons defends at a high level, rebounds at a high level, creates shots for others at a high level.

Put him on the ball, trade Fultz, let Suggs defend the opposing PG with Simmons defending the top wing.

Don't have enough shooting? Ok. Draft Jabari in the lotto and then go out and sign Malik Monk in free agency. Two potential 40% 3PT shooters added to the mix in one swoop.

The Magic just really aren't in a position to thumb their noses at any trades where they get the best player in the deal without giving up a single draft asset.

I dont see the upside. Your plan crumbles in the first stage. Biggest flaw of Simmons is that you CANT put him on ball. He is bad to below average p&r ball handler. He is also not isolation scorer. You cant put him on ball, and he is useless as a spacer so good luck.
He also cant be the anchor of defense becouse he is not rim protector and he is good not great defending pick and roll. He is like AG, good defender but not game changing in any way.

Isaac for all his flaws can space the floor on offense and can be the focal point of defense. Trading him for Simmons is limiting our ceiling and entering treadmill twilight zone you all seem to love right now after half of season tanking.
Lets not even start with Ben Simmons personality disorders and self confidence issues.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
Magic_Johnny12
RealGM
And1: 8,440

Post#275 » by Magic_Johnny12 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:36 pm

Per Jake F (SI)

"Magic seeking a first round pick for Bamba, Harris and Ross"

He means a FRP for each btw :o
PM me if you can help a brotha finally get an AVI.
Magic_Johnny12
RealGM
And1: 8,440

Post#276 » by Magic_Johnny12 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:50 pm

Magic_Johnny12 wrote:Per Jake F (SI)

If we get a FRP for Harris, I'm building a statue for Weltman my damn self.
PM me if you can help a brotha finally get an AVI.
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,110

Post#277 » by zaymon » Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:52 pm

If we wanted second round picks we would not have to seek ;)
I am very impressed with Gary Harris, he could swing some playoff series like he did for Denver. Now he is even better than then. Late first round pick for increased chance for title ? I dont find it impossible.
Ross is a very seducing player. I am not the biggest fan, but he has good contract and is one man offense. With more space on the floor he could really shine.
Bamba... well i am not a fan at all. Maybe someone bites his "upside", change of place motivation, better development staff. There is a lot of ways to fool yourself.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,663

Post#278 » by MagicMatic » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:09 pm

Knightro wrote:Talent is talent and the Magic need more of it.

The problem I see has less to do with “talent at all costs” and building a roster that makes sense. There isn’t a plan at all by just acquiring expensive albeit flawed talent and hypothetically drawing up trades to make it all look like it isn’t trash.

You don’t tie yourself to max contract players and fill the gaps in to mitigate their shortcomings as an exit strategy. I’d much rather see what the FO can build (as small markets do) before doubling down on more reclamation projects.

Simmons is probably the last player I’d want Orlando to move pieces to acquire if the idea is to consolidate assets.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,599

Post#279 » by RookieStar » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:17 pm

Magic_Johnny12 wrote:

If we get a FRP for Harris, I'm building a statue for Weltman my damn self.

Well... if a team with a pick in the 25-30 needs them like GSW , BKN , etc...
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,269

Post#280 » by Bensational » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:24 pm

Could Simmons be used off ball in PnR as an extra playmaking option within that play? He sets a screen and rolls (since his 3pt shot won’t be respected) and when he receives the ball he’s either looking at a close range shot or he can look to find secondary off ball movement and open looks.

There’s so much about Simmons’ baggage that I wouldn’t want on the team but hopefully he’d come looking for a fresh start.

Return to Orlando Magic