ImageImageImageImage

NBA Trade Deadline Feb 10th

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,604

Re: NBA Trade Deadline Feb 10th 

Post#281 » by Skybox » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:24 pm

Magic_Johnny12 wrote:
Magic_Johnny12 wrote:Per Jake F (SI)

"Magic seeking a first round pick for Bamba, Harris and Ross"

He means a FRP for each btw :o

If we get a FRP for Harris, I'm building a statue for Weltman my damn self.

I don't think I want a FRP for Harris, because that would probably imply taking back his $20m (expiring) salary in garbage players. Only way I want to see Harris moved is in a package that maybe gets us back a young prospect or pick (along with filler for salary relief for the other team). Harris' play as of late doesn't hurt either. He could help a lot of teams - but he'll never sniff $20m/yr again.

Which team needs to dump dead weight or bad salary/avoid future tax...now, who do they have that might fit better with us?
IllMagic04
Analyst
And1: 1,807

Post#282 » by IllMagic04 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:38 pm

Sixers not doing that. Not a chance. They have been pretty clear that they want a difference maker.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,310

Post#283 » by Knightro » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:39 pm

MagicMatic wrote:The problem I see has less to do with “talent at all costs” and building a roster that makes sense. There isn’t a plan at all by just acquiring expensive albeit flawed talent and hypothetically drawing up trades to make it all look like it isn’t trash.

You don’t tie yourself to max contract players and fill the gaps in to mitigate their shortcomings as an exit strategy. I’d much rather see what the FO can build (as small markets do) before doubling down on more reclamation projects.

Simmons is probably the last player I’d want Orlando to move assets to acquire.

This last point is what caught my eye.

There's a level of compensation where it obviously wouldn't make sense for the Magic, but the trade as it was laid out is the kind of trade I would have to make because the Magic just aren't really giving up any valuable assets to acquire a 25 year old 3x all-star and 2x all-NBA defender who is locked in for the next 3.5 years.

Ross is a bench gunner who has no place on a rebuilding club. Most people think the Magic would fetch a couple of 2nds at most for him. He basically has no value.

Anthony is almost certainly not a starter on a good team and will likely need a complete mentality shift to embrace a Clarkson type of role on a contender. Hard to imagine that coming in Orlando after getting free reign to be a shameless gunner for however long he's going to be allowed to do it.

I actually like Isaac, but the guy has been in the league for 4.5 seasons and has played 1.5 seasons worth of games. If he gets healthy and goes on to great success elsewhere, I'll tip the cap and wish him luck. The odds aren't in his favor.

I just don't think the Magic are really giving up much of anything in this proposed deal, especially with no picks in the deal. When Harris expires this summer, they'd still be way under the cap. On top of that the money is pretty much a wash this year and next year.

The Magic could IMO easily flip Ben for more than they gave up after like a year of rehabbing his image if that was the route they wanted to go too.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,917

Post#284 » by MagicMatic » Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:20 pm

Knightro wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:The problem I see has less to do with “talent at all costs” and building a roster that makes sense. There isn’t a plan at all by just acquiring expensive albeit flawed talent and hypothetically drawing up trades to make it all look like it isn’t trash.

You don’t tie yourself to max contract players and fill the gaps in to mitigate their shortcomings as an exit strategy. I’d much rather see what the FO can build (as small markets do) before doubling down on more reclamation projects.

Simmons is probably the last player I’d want Orlando to move assets to acquire.

This last point is what caught my eye.

There's a level of compensation where it obviously wouldn't make sense for the Magic, but the trade as it was laid out is the kind of trade I would have to make because the Magic just aren't really giving up any valuable assets to acquire a 25 year old 3x all-star and 2x all-NBA defender who is locked in for the next 3.5 years.

Ross is a bench gunner who has no place on a rebuilding club. Most people think the Magic would fetch a couple of 2nds at most for him. He basically has no value.

Anthony is almost certainly not a starter on a good team and will likely need a complete mentality shift to embrace a Clarkson type of role on a contender. Hard to imagine that coming in Orlando after getting free reign to be a shameless gunner for however long he's going to be allowed to do it.

I actually like Isaac, but the guy has been in the league for 4.5 seasons and has played 1.5 seasons worth of games. If he gets healthy and goes on to great success elsewhere, I'll tip the cap and wish him luck. The odds aren't in his favor.

I just don't think the Magic are really giving up much of anything in this proposed deal, especially with no picks in the deal. When Harris expires this summer, they'd still be way under the cap. On top of that the money is pretty much a wash this year and next year.

The Magic could IMO easily flip Ben for more than they gave up after like a year of rehabbing his image if that was the route they wanted to go too.

I don’t disagree with the players involved and your analysis of them as assets.

I disagree with Simmons being the target. I also don’t believe Philadelphia would take that deal.
Horcy
Lead Assistant
And1: 362

Post#285 » by Horcy » Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:21 pm

[url]
Read on Twitter
?s=21[/url]

I'm all for it. I do not hate Mo but I think we've seen enough from him.
There are many interesting players in the next draft who play pf/c.
We need to move on.
j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,652

Post#286 » by j-ragg » Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:31 pm

I could see a lot of teams taking a shot on Mo’s upside. Can’t see any giving up their first for his bird rights.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
Magic_Johnny12
RealGM
And1: 8,454

Post#287 » by Magic_Johnny12 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:37 pm

j-ragg wrote:I could see a lot of teams taking a shot on Mo’s upside. Can’t see any giving up their first for his bird rights.

Why? Chicago was able to pry a first for Lauri literally the summer of his free agency.

Not a lot of teams have cap space this summer which will play in Orlandos favor when it comes to Bamba imo.
PM me if you can help a brotha finally get an AVI.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#288 » by Skybox » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:11 am

Here's one out of left field...
https://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/7513800
ORL sends: Cole Anthony, RJ Hampton
WAS sends: Deni Avdija, Corey Kispert

I like Cole but I'd sell high (QUICK) for a little more spacing and team play. WAS is thick with big wings with Kuzma, Bertans, and now Hachimura back and don't have enough scoring depth at the guard spot. Cole could come off the bench but play big minutes. ORL has Fultz and, especially, Suggs to run point (along with Franz as a big guard/point forward)...Avidja and Kispert don't have numbers like Cole, but are solid, all-around players with high BBIQ and, most importantly, floor-spreading range (allegedly). RJ is another cost-controlled energy guy with yet-to-be determined upside. Basically, I'd be hoping to trade flash for substance and understand that there may be quite a few nights reading about Cole going for 30 and that's ok. WAS could play some 3 guard lineups that might be pretty electrifying too. The ORL lineup below just gives me "play the right way" vibes with Franz being the best example of what we're hoping to do. You could start 3 Franz's if you had them. Everyone other than Fultz and Bamba are basically positionless, versatile players that can be organized in many different sets.

Fultz/Suggs/MCW
Franz/Harris/TRoss
Avidja/Kispert
Isaac/Chuma/M.Wagner
WCJ/Bamba/RoLo

Lots of actual basketball skill (shooting!!) as well as positional size and defensive possibility on this roster and still significant room for more change. Harris, TRoss,Bamba are all apparently in play as well as picks and a TPE.
The Effect
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 2,053

Post#289 » by The Effect » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:21 am

Skybox wrote:Here's one out of left field...

I like Cole but I'd sell high (QUICK) for a little more spacing and team play. WAS is thick with big wings with Kuzma, Bertans, and now Hachimura back and don't have enough scoring depth at the guard spot. Cole could come off the bench but play big minutes. ORL has Fultz and, especially, Suggs to run point (along with Franz as a big guard/point forward)...Avidja and Kispert don't have numbers like Cole, but are solid, all-around players with high BBIQ and, most importantly, floor-spreading range (allegedly). RJ is another cost-controlled energy guy with yet-to-be determined upside. Basically, I'd be hoping to trade flash for substance and understand that there may be quite a few nights reading about Cole going for 30 and that's ok. WAS could play some 3 guard lineups that might be pretty electrifying too. The ORL lineup below just gives me "play the right way" vibes with Franz being the best example of what we're hoping to do. You could start 3 Franz's if you had them. Everyone other than Fultz and Bamba are basically positionless, versatile players that can be organized in many different sets.

Fultz/Suggs/MCW
Franz/Harris/TRoss
Avidja/Kispert
Isaac/Chuma/M.Wagner
WCJ/Bamba/RoLo

Lots of actual basketball skill (shooting!!) as well as positional size and defensive possibility on this roster and still significant room for more change. Harris, TRoss,Bamba are all apparently in play as well as picks and a TPE.

i swear people are so quick to want to get rid of Cole that they would literally give him away for nothing
Deni has shown nothing in 2 years . Hes a below average shooter and defender and really is only hype at this point. And Krispert has barely played. Not saying kispert wont be good, but to this point hasnt even shown to be a good shooter, and thats basically going to his calling card

We finally get someone who knows how to lead and how to put the ball in the basket (wow crazy concepts huh?), not to mention wants to be in Orlando....... and everyone is dying for them to get sent out ASAP for garbage
The Effect

Post#290 » by The Effect » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:22 am

j-ragg wrote:I could see a lot of teams taking a shot on Mo’s upside. Can’t see any giving up their first for his bird rights.

Id bet anything it wouldnt be their first this year, if anything it would be a 2026 1st rounder, much like the gordon trade.
MasterGMer
Veteran
And1: 583

Post#291 » by MasterGMer » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:24 am

Fultz/Suggs/MCW
Franz/Harris/TRoss
Avidja/Kispert
Isaac/Chuma/M.Wagner
WCJ/Bamba/RoLo

Cole averages 20 PPG this season. How is Avdija or Kispert doing in WAS?

I would not do this trade. No way!

I'd rather look at the Ben Simmons trade
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,713

Post#292 » by basketballRob » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:24 am

The Effect wrote:

Id bet anything it wouldnt be their first this year, if anything it would be a 2026 1st rounder, much like the gordon trade.
Maybe the Pistons since Bol Bol failed his physical.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM Forums mobile app
Skybox
RealGM

Post#293 » by Skybox » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:32 am

MasterGMer wrote:

I'd rather look at the Ben Simmons trade too...but there isn't one!
The Effect

Post#294 » by The Effect » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:36 am

MasterGMer wrote:

Fultz/Suggs/MCW
Franz/Harris/TRoss
Avidja/Kispert
Isaac/Chuma/M.Wagner
WCJ/Bamba/RoLo

Hes been unable to beat out career journeyman KCP and did nothing last year when given a chance to start
Skybox
RealGM

Post#295 » by Skybox » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:43 am

The Effect wrote:
MasterGMer wrote:

Fultz/Suggs/MCW
Franz/Harris/TRoss
Avidja/Kispert
Isaac/Chuma/M.Wagner
WCJ/Bamba/RoLo

Hes been unable to beat out career journeyman KCP and did nothing last year when given a chance to start

I don't want to be a Cole-basher because I really do like his energy and his skill. I think referring to his "leadership" will get you mixed eye rolls. Was he the catalyst to ALL 7 wins or was he out for some of them? He's a good player, but referring to his 20ppg on this team, in this season is maybe just a bit misleading. Again, he's way outplayed his draft position and he will have big nights throughout his career. I think the trade I proposed makes us a better TEAM...if we were settling things 1 on 1 on a playground, Cole's my guy too...I would add that when somebody proposes trading a player, it doesn't mean "getting rid of them" or giving up on them. I think Cole's value might be at an all time high right now (this team and this season is a perfect fit for his showcase) and would trade him while his value is high.
The Effect

Post#296 » by The Effect » Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:50 am

Skybox wrote:
The Effect wrote:
MasterGMer wrote:

I don't want to be a Cole-basher because I really do like his energy and his skill. I think referring to his "leadership" will get you mixed eye rolls. Was he the catalyst to ALL 7 wins or was he out for some of them? He's a good player, but referring to his 20ppg on this team, in this season is maybe just a bit misleading. Again, he's way outplayed his draft position and he will have big nights throughout his career. I think the trade I proposed makes us a better TEAM...if we were settling things 1 on 1 on a playground, Cole's my guy too...I would add that when somebody proposes trading a player, it doesn't mean "getting rid of them" or giving up on them. I think Cole's value might be at an all time high right now (this team and this season is a perfect fit for his showcase) and would trade him while his value is high.

Stacking a team with nothing but role guys doesnt make you a better team. Your team would basically be Franz and a bunch of role players. You need an alpha, you need guy thats going to take charge, hell you need a guy to just give your team some character. Whether people like him or not, thats what cole gives us that we havent had since dwight. Vuc was never the alpha of the team, neither was AG, nor Evan. They were all good players, but they were all role players who needed someone in charge, someone to take over

Deni is a role player, and so far not a great one. The way he was hyped, you expected him to be what Franz has become, but hes looking more and more like a taller mario, a few flashes and nothing else. Krispert is basically Korver, who great at his role, but hes not going to be the guy who wins you games.

Cole, love him or hate him, but he leads this team, and you see a major difference when hes out there and when hes not. I get it, the drop between him and gleague guys is huge, but he missed 5 games earlier in the season before suggs got hurt, and we got destroyed in all 5 of those guys that suggs started over him, remember a few 30pt losses. Sure, cole is a score first guy, but you know what, thats what this team has been missing, but no one cares, because everyone is obsessed with cliches that sound good but are bull "building the right away", "team basketball" "Defense wins championships". Sure those things are important, but you cant base every decision on those choices. You cant have a team of all role players, you cant have a team of only defensive players, you cant have only good, wholesome clean cut players etc
PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,371

Post#297 » by PrimeThyme » Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:02 am

Definitely out of left field. For all the wrong reasons.
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,237

Post#298 » by Blue_and_Whte » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:10 am

Knightro wrote:Talent is talent and the Magic need more of it.

Simmons can't shoot? Ok well Jonathan Isaac can't even play in a game.

Simmons defends at a high level, rebounds at a high level, creates shots for others at a high level.

Put him on the ball, trade Fultz, let Suggs defend the opposing PG with Simmons defending the top wing.

Don't have enough shooting? Ok. Draft Jabari in the lotto and then go out and sign Malik Monk in free agency. Two potential 40% 3PT shooters added to the mix in one swoop.

The Magic just really aren't in a position to thumb their noses at any trades where they get the best player in the deal without giving up a single draft asset.
no they aren’t. I’m in no way a Simmons fan but he’s instantly our best player. The only concern is playing us out of a top pick and well without knowing the full extent of what happened in Philly, him quitting on his teammates.
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,017

Post#299 » by fendilim » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:12 am

Skybox wrote:
Magic_Johnny12 wrote:
Magic_Johnny12 wrote:Per Jake F (SI)

He means a FRP for each btw :o

If we get a FRP for Harris, I'm building a statue for Weltman my damn self.

I don't think I want a FRP for Harris, because that would probably imply taking back his $20m (expiring) salary in garbage players. Only way I want to see Harris moved is in a package that maybe gets us back a young prospect or pick (along with filler for salary relief for the other team). Harris' play as of late doesn't hurt either. He could help a lot of teams - but he'll never sniff $20m/yr again.

Which team needs to dump dead weight or bad salary/avoid future tax...now, who do they have that might fit better with us?
i doubt we get a first for harris.

Best case scenario maybe a young player who needs a change of scenario, imo.
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,017

Post#300 » by fendilim » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:15 am

Knightro wrote:Magic receive: Ben Simmons and Paul Reed.
Sixers receive: Jonathan Isaac, Cole Anthony and Terrence Ross.

^ I would 100% do this of course. Magic would have to move Fultz in short order, but so be it.

Take it and run.

Return to Orlando Magic