ImageImageImageImage

NBA Trade Deadline Feb 10th

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,588

Re: NBA Trade season restarts Dec 15th until Trade Deadline 

Post#81 » by Skybox » Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:24 pm

basketballRob wrote:Looks like the clock is ticking on Ross. It's better for him to trade him now and the next team will have his bird rights and likely give him another contract.

Read on Twitter
?t=ps9WmnlvJ7p6DxmaHuyypw&s=19

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM Forums mobile app

I wasn't crazy about any of the deals in the article (not necessarily value back but fit)...

How About...

ATL sends Reddish to ORL (into TPE ) and Gallinari *this would be two "separate" deals
ORL sends MCW, TRoss, and CHI 23 frp
...reasoning: ATL saves a bunch of money next year by moving Gallinari, who is supposedly available. They add TRoss, who gives them much of what Reddish promises to. MCW is an undervalued, versatile vet who could move all around the lineup and complement Trae defensively and size-wise in the backcourt. The frp is a significant piece as well (particularly if Lavine bolts). ORL absorbs some salary to get a crack at Reddish' upside at a young age. Gallinari is a large expiring next year and may not stick around that long.

BOS sends Nesmith and Juancho to ORL (both basically out of the rotation-both supposed floor spreaders)
ORL sends TRoss
...reasoning: BOS gets a ready-now contributor who can play 2 or 3 as needed. ORL gets a crack at Nesmith, who everyone loves, works hard, was one of the best 3pt shooters ever in college - and just hasn't worked out (yet). Great size and potential for a guy who's basically already checked out. If Juancho is another (better shooting) Moe, great. If not, no worries - expires at same time as Ross would have.

I'd love to trade TRoss for a wing prospect who hasn't clicked yet rather than a crappy late first or seconds. We can entice more value by taking a bad salary back (not too bad in these examples but for bigger game...)
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,223

Post#82 » by pepe1991 » Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:00 pm

Basically bunch of draft busts and fringe rotation players. Sounds about right.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
Skybox
RealGM

Post#83 » by Skybox » Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:37 pm

pepe1991 wrote:Basically bunch of draft busts and fringe rotation players. Sounds about right.

Okay...how about TRoss for Luka?
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,688

Post#84 » by basketballRob » Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:30 pm

Skybox wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:Basically bunch of draft busts and fringe rotation players. Sounds about right.

I'd trade him for Luka Samanic in a heartbeat.

Skybox
RealGM

Post#85 » by Skybox » Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:52 pm

basketballRob wrote:
Skybox wrote:

It's tough to make a move under Pepe's watchful eye...there are only 2 or 3 players in the league he approves of :lol:
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#86 » by basketballRob » Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:00 pm

Ross is a way better ball player when he has creators and 3 pt shooters to create space.

pepe1991
RealGM

Post#87 » by pepe1991 » Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:03 am

Skybox wrote:
basketballRob wrote:
Skybox wrote:

It's tough to make a move under Pepe's watchful eye...there are only 2 or 3 players in the league he approves of :lol:

Your point is?

Where Terrence Ross isn't good and probably isn't really playable in playoffs, that's far cry from article names that were suggested.

Bol Bol isn't nba player. He isn't really basketball player. in 3 years he played 450 min of any sort of basketball.
Jalen Smith is nothing. That guy didn't play serious basketball since college.
Romeo Langford? Is there anything about him that would suggest he is more talented than some RJ Hampton? I don't think so.

And salary fillers are Šarić ( can't play this year), Huancho ( 0,9 ppg this year) JaMychal Green ( out of rotation ) will just devalue this roster even further. I know winning isn't goal this year, but adding young scrubs also won't do anything for you. Especially if you aquire mid 20s picks who are notorious for not being that cheap and also almost always turn into nothing but have 2 +1 year guaranteed.
Orlando already has situation where portion of young players that exist, only play basketball on regular bases for 2 reasons:
a) alternatives are injuries ( or don't exist)
b) team is tanking
Case and point RJ Hampton & Okeke.

I don't know. I see no reason why would Magic be interested into adding even more young players on roster where they expect 2022 player to be landed, knowing that half of roster will still need time and space to grow.
I'm looking at that OKC team, Pistons team and those teams added some picks & talent, but if you remove Grant & SGA from their rosters, they will be disasters that even their rookies will look to leave as soon as it's possible. Trae Young demanding actual nba players in year two of his career pretty much points what young players expect from their front office nowdays. No waste of time allowed.

Luka Šamanić case, guy was vaiwed by Spurs 2 months ago. We could sign him for nothing. Guy is my countryman... i don't think he is all that good. His motor is Mo Bamba- type. Guy is letargic as hell.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,891

Post#88 » by drsd » Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:14 am

The idea of trading Ross for a FRP at first seems ridiculous, but I think a lot of contending teams seem a benefit of a flame-thrower for the playoffs. If he has one mega-outburst, that sole victory might be his point.

And as I have posted before, trading Ross to the Clippers, Lakers, Bucks, etc. for a FRP could be a trade that has Orlando's 2022 SRP as part of the package. Imaging the Clippers drafting in the 25 range (eventually), such a team could be quite keen on a pick-33 NOW, and would see that as value in itself.

Ross + Orlando's 2022 SRP for bloated contract (traded to save on taxes) and an eventual lottery protected FRP is not an impossible deal for me to fathom. The Clippers particularly slot in here. And that means Ibaka would be a Magician again. Hoorah ?!?!?!?!

drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,891

Post#89 » by drsd » Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:16 am

When I read the rumour that Dario Dario Šarić is being shopped, I immediately thought of you.

Šarić for Ross is exactly the kind of trade I would think you expect the Magic to make !

pepe1991
RealGM

Post#90 » by pepe1991 » Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:37 am

drsd wrote:

When I read the rumour that Dario Dario Šarić is being shopped, I immediately thought of you.

Šarić for Ross is exactly the kind of trade I would think you expect the Magic to make !

I can't be objective about Dario. We, as kids used to hang out around street in our born city, i remember him talking how he is typing with some girl and laughing a** off when she asked him does he prefer Fanta or Cola. :lol:

All i can say is that he is nice person and humble guy.

Oh and his father was allegedly, according to most older basketball fans, best shooter in Europe , better than Dražen, better than Toni Kukoć, better than anybody.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#91 » by Skybox » Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:02 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
Skybox wrote:
basketballRob wrote:I'd trade him for Luka Samanic in a heartbeat.

Your point is?

Where Terrence Ross isn't good and probably isn't really playable in playoffs, that's far cry from article names that were suggested.

Bol Bol isn't nba player. He isn't really basketball player. in 3 years he played 450 min of any sort of basketball.
Jalen Smith is nothing. That guy didn't play serious basketball since college.
Romeo Langford? Is there anything about him that would suggest he is more talented than some RJ Hampton? I don't think so.

And salary fillers are Šarić ( can't play this year), Huancho ( 0,9 ppg this year) JaMychal Green ( out of rotation ) will just devalue this roster even further. I know winning isn't goal this year, but adding young scrubs also won't do anything for you. Especially if you aquire mid 20s picks who are notorious for not being that cheap and also almost always turn into nothing but have 2 +1 year guaranteed.
Orlando already has situation where portion of young players that exist, only play basketball on regular bases for 2 reasons:
a) alternatives are injuries ( or don't exist)
b) team is tanking
Case and point RJ Hampton & Okeke.

I don't know. I see no reason why would Magic be interested into adding even more young players on roster where they expect 2022 player to be landed, knowing that half of roster will still need time and space to grow.
I'm looking at that OKC team, Pistons team and those teams added some picks & talent, but if you remove Grant & SGA from their rosters, they will be disasters that even their rookies will look to leave as soon as it's possible. Trae Young demanding actual nba players in year two of his career pretty much points what young players expect from their front office nowdays. No waste of time allowed.

Luka Šamanić case, guy was vaiwed by Spurs 2 months ago. We could sign him for nothing. Guy is my countryman... i don't think he is all that good. His motor is Mo Bamba- type. Guy is letargic as hell.

I meant the other Luka...I didn't like any of the trades in the article either. My point being that Ross is limited value and it would be unlikely to find anyone that you wouldn't dissect as completely as you typically destroy our own guys (not disagreeing with your analysis either). If Ross turned into Nesmith or Reddish-I'd call that a worthwhile swing as either one MIGHT be better than Ross in a year and Ross wants out anyway...but I know neither is a guaranteed home run.
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#92 » by basketballRob » Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:54 pm

It almost sounds like the Magic just want a future draft pick. They probably don't want any more players to take minutes away from the young players they're trying to develop.

pepe1991
RealGM

Post#93 » by pepe1991 » Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:47 pm

basketballRob wrote:It almost sounds like the Magic just want a future draft pick. They probably don't want any more players to take minutes away from the young players they're trying to develop.

Yea they might just take some exp. contract and cut him off
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,140

Post#94 » by zaymon » Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:07 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
basketballRob wrote:It almost sounds like the Magic just want a future draft pick. They probably don't want any more players to take minutes away from the young players they're trying to develop.

Yea they might just take some exp. contract and cut him off

Harris is much better in veteran presence role. I appreciate what Ross did for us in th past but always wondered why people want bad decision making chucker around our young guys. He could be valueable for contender if he focuses a bit during games, but for us its the worst veteran possible. First round pick would be awesome but i would move him for less just to have additional roster spot.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
Skybox
RealGM

Post#95 » by Skybox » Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:53 pm

I keep getting fed "Moneyball" clips on Facebook. What a great book, a great movie, and a great story. We talk about small markets and ORL...can't imagine dealing with MLB with no salary cap. I grew up in NY and watched the Yankees sign the All-Star team year after year, to varying results.

What could be the basketball equivalent? Chemistry and undervalued contributors...what are the "secret" metrics that allow a team to buy wins rather than just buy players? Maybe there are none since only five guys on the court...but I look at UTA maybe with largely fantastic ball-movement, guys who accept and excel in their limited roles...Can they win it all? Is that everything?

I think Isaac might fit in a similar way (if he can play)...Defensive savant and QB, moving from perimeter to rim easily. What are the other pieces...probably ball movement and shooting all over the roster.
DSN1423
Sophomore
And1: 66

Post#96 » by DSN1423 » Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:47 am

Skybox wrote:I keep getting fed "Moneyball" clips on Facebook. What a great book, a great movie, and a great story. We talk about small markets and ORL...can't imagine dealing with MLB with no salary cap. I grew up in NY and watched the Yankees sign the All-Star team year after year, to varying results.

What could be the basketball equivalent? Chemistry and undervalued contributors...what are the "secret" metrics that allow a team to buy wins rather than just buy players? Maybe there are none since only five guys on the court...but I look at UTA maybe with largely fantastic ball-movement, guys who accept and excel in their limited roles...Can they win it all? Is that everything?

I think Isaac might fit in a similar way (if he can play)...Defensive savant and QB, moving from perimeter to rim easily. What are the other pieces...probably ball movement and shooting all over the roster.

Metrics on defense could be;
- Deflections
- Rotations forced (the less the better)
- Ability to defend multiple positions (could be direct opponent FG%)

Metrics on offense could be;
- Hockey assists
- Dribble efficiency
- Screens set that led to direct points

Just a couple off the top of my head, would need further data to see if they generate into wins.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#97 » by Skybox » Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:16 am

DSN1423 wrote:
Skybox wrote:I keep getting fed "Moneyball" clips on Facebook. What a great book, a great movie, and a great story. We talk about small markets and ORL...can't imagine dealing with MLB with no salary cap. I grew up in NY and watched the Yankees sign the All-Star team year after year, to varying results.

- Deflections

- Hockey assists
- Dribble efficiency

Just a couple off the top of my head, would need further data to see if they generate into wins.

I like it...on defense, you could really see where WeHam's focus on positional length could/should factor into all kind of disruptions on defense (Isaac embodied) and, offensively, I really like the hockey assists and screens...we haven't had a good screener (Birch?) in a while, that's a huge issue, IMO. Utah hardly dribbles, the ball just moves -it's beautiful. (haven't seen a ton of their games, but from what I saw, that's what jumped out at me.)...individual talent and BBIQ can't be minimized, not to mention being able to make an open shot. I do like the idea of an effective overall team defensive rating (more so than individual measurables). Marc Gasol never left the ground in his life but he was DPOY...there are shot blockers in the league that don't deny anything (except the ones they actually block) but a really frustrating, selfless, helping defensive scheme is hopefully, what we're after....Offensively as well, when everybody plays the right way and 1+1+1+1+1=more than 5.
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,090

Post#98 » by yoyojw17 » Mon Dec 20, 2021 3:23 pm

Skybox wrote:
DSN1423 wrote:

- Deflections

- Hockey assists
- Dribble efficiency

I like it...on defense, you could really see where WeHam's focus on positional length could/should factor into all kind of disruptions on defense (Isaac embodied) and, offensively, I really like the hockey assists and screens...we haven't had a good screener (Birch?) in a while, that's a huge issue, IMO. Utah hardly dribbles, the ball just moves -it's beautiful. (haven't seen a ton of their games, but from what I saw, that's what jumped out at me.)...individual talent and BBIQ can't be minimized, not to mention being able to make an open shot. I do like the idea of an effective overall team defensive rating (more so than individual measurables). Marc Gasol never left the ground in his life but he was DPOY...there are shot blockers in the league that don't deny anything (except the ones they actually block) but a really frustrating, selfless, helping defensive scheme is hopefully, what we're after....Offensively as well, when everybody plays the right way and 1+1+1+1+1=more than 5.

I pride myself on my screening ability... and players would love being on my team with my sneaky ass picks that would totally shed a defender or 2. lol
Skybox
RealGM

Post#99 » by Skybox » Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:17 pm

yoyojw17 wrote:
Skybox wrote:
DSN1423 wrote:
- Deflections

- Hockey assists
- Dribble efficiency

I pride myself on my screening ability... and players would love being on my team with my sneaky ass picks that would totally shed a defender or 2. lol

A good screener can really change everything. I hate watching Bamba or, especially, Vuc start rolling to the hoop before they've even interrupted the ballhandler's defender...it's useless....Watching how great offenses like GSW and UTA free up their aces for good perimeter shots off of decisive screens is PnR 101...once the space is created, there's an open shot...or a frantic switch...or a mismatch...or an open shooter...or an open lane, etc. All kinds of good things come from a definitive screen that disrupts a defensive set. At the very least, you're at least making the defender work hard to fight through or around, which can be exhausting. Just like a well-executed trap on the other end - just a way to take a team out of their comfort zone, create some sort of chaos and have the critical one second head start in reacting to it.
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,090

Post#100 » by yoyojw17 » Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:16 pm

Skybox wrote:
yoyojw17 wrote:
Skybox wrote:

A good screener can really change everything. I hate watching Bamba or, especially, Vuc start rolling to the hoop before they've even interrupted the ballhandler's defender...it's useless....Watching how great offenses like GSW and UTA free up their aces for good perimeter shots off of decisive screens is PnR 101...once the space is created, there's an open shot...or a frantic switch...or a mismatch...or an open shooter...or an open lane, etc. All kinds of good things come from a definitive screen that disrupts a defensive set. At the very least, you're at least making the defender work hard to fight through or around, which can be exhausting. Just like a well-executed trap on the other end - just a way to take a team out of their comfort zone, create some sort of chaos and have the critical one second head start in reacting to it.

hahah... i feel the same way when I watch. Wendell does his best... Mo... still got a lot of work to go. lol.... like leaps and bounds. Oh yeah... I would punish people in pick-up games. Was never a consistent scorer.. but I would get selected earlier because of the intangibles. :-D :-D :-D

Return to Orlando Magic