ImageImageImageImage

When is Fultz returning?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,924

Re: When is Fultz returning? 

Post#21 » by drsd » Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:30 am

thelead wrote:I still think Fultz has the most ‘superstar’ potential but I’ve heard teammates and coaches say similar things every year… I’m not going to hold my breath until we see an efficient, quick-release 3 point jumper. If we see that, draft be damned (especially this year’s draft).

Well: Orlando is going to roll out two tall PGs, and hope for the best: in Suggs and Fultz. What choice does this franchise have at this point?

Max Power
Head Coach
And1: 1,204

Post#22 » by Max Power » Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:12 pm

I’m hoping the Fultz/Suggs or Fultz/Anthony thing works. Markelle’s ability to make play getting other guys the ball is sorely needed. Anthony does none of that, so I don’t think he should dominate the ball. Anthony’s a small 2 guard in my opinion. Obviously the problem with Fultz/Suggs is the lack of the 3 point shot. They’ll attack the middle all day long.

One has to remember were in year 1 of this rebuild, it’s entirely possible none of these guards stick with the team long term, depending on development. If anything, Fultz or Anthony truly developing into something means the team has a potentially nice trade piece. I hope it would be Anthony. I’m more of a believer in Fultz
You look confused...let me fill you in.
IllMagic04
Analyst
And1: 1,810

Post#23 » by IllMagic04 » Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:45 pm

Looking foward to seeing him back. We desperately need ball handling help. I think him and Cole can play together. It will take time but I do think it can work. It could be dynamic if Fultz's 3 ball comes back but I gotta see that to believe it.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app
JF5
RealGM
And1: 3,900

Post#24 » by JF5 » Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:02 pm

thelead wrote:
T-Cat wrote:
RichCollab wrote:Fultz is definitely a leader. His composure and genuine desire for others to be successful.

Will his return hurt our lottery chances? :o

Read on Twitter

I still think Fultz has the most ‘superstar’ potential but I’ve heard teammates and coaches say similar things every year… I’m not going to hold my breath until we see an efficient, quick-release 3 point jumper. If we see that, draft be damned (especially this year’s draft).

Although I believed the injury was a blessing in disguise to work on his shoulder/TOS issues. I have to see this improvement to believe it.
Last Guardian
RealGM
And1: 3,950

Post#25 » by Last Guardian » Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:30 am

Can't come soon enough. I know he can't shoot, but these current guards can't make a simple pass or correct read on a consistent basis. Would be nice to get some organization to the offense...and maybe pass to WCJ when he actually has post position instead of looking him off.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,450

Post#26 » by Bensational » Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:22 am

Last Guardian wrote:Can't come soon enough. I know he can't shoot, but these current guards can't make a simple pass or correct read on a consistent basis. Would be nice to get some organization to the offense...and maybe pass to WCJ when he actually has post position instead of looking him off.

I don’t think Fultz will organise all that much. He’s more of a freestyler who is good at finding random openings, but he’s not great getting a team ordered, imo. He’s better at hand-offs created near the rim than a well executed PnR, for example.

Still, I’m looking forward to his return. He’s fun to watch play when he’s on and aggressive.
drsd
RealGM

Post#27 » by drsd » Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:51 am

Bensational wrote:
Last Guardian wrote:Can't come soon enough. I know he can't shoot, but these current guards can't make a simple pass or correct read on a consistent basis. Would be nice to get some organization to the offense...and maybe pass to WCJ when he actually has post position instead of looking him off.

I don’t think Fultz will organise all that much. He’s more of a freestyler who is good at finding random openings, but he’s not great getting a team ordered, imo. He’s better at hand-offs created near the rim than a well executed PnR, for example.

Still, I’m looking forward to his return. He’s fun to watch play when he’s on and aggressive.

Just roll with Fultz/Suggs/F-Wagner/Isaac/Carter as starters and whatever happens, happens.
I don't care that there is massive imbalance. Orlando just needs more talent on the court.

IllMagic04
Analyst
And1: 1,810

Post#28 » by IllMagic04 » Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:04 pm

drsd wrote:
Bensational wrote:

Just roll with Fultz/Suggs/F-Wagner/Isaac/Carter as starters and whatever happens, happens.
I don't care that there is massive imbalance. Orlando just needs more talent on the court.

Unless someone has a major uptick in shooting I can't see that being a starting unit. Suggs should come off the bench and Cole should still start. We however should absolutely experiment with that line up. Especially at the end of games when we need a stop.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app
rcklsscognition
RealGM
And1: 7,141

Post#29 » by rcklsscognition » Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:17 pm

If he could kindly play Wednesday I'll be attending and would be a highlight for sure.
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,092

Post#30 » by yoyojw17 » Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:41 pm

Can't wait to have this back! That season... he was moving at his own pace.... and so did the game! He was one of the majoy proponents to our early success!
drsd
RealGM

Post#31 » by drsd » Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:04 am

yoyojw17 wrote:Can't wait to have this back! That season... he was moving at his own pace.... and so did the game! He was one of the majoy proponents to our early success!

When Fultz returns, who is the odd man out for the bench to you: Fultz, Suggs or Anthony?

Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,627

Post#32 » by Skybox » Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:11 pm

drsd wrote:
yoyojw17 wrote:Can't wait to have this back! That season... he was moving at his own pace.... and so did the game! He was one of the majoy proponents to our early success!

When Fultz returns, who is the odd man out for the bench to you: Fultz, Suggs or Anthony?

Many will duck the question and say they'll keep him on time restriction for a while...which is probably true. But, assuming he's 100% (at some point), I think Anthony starts next to Fultz. It's just easier to bench an underperforming rookie.

Ultimately, I hope Suggs starts alongside Fultz, but there's a tricky dynamic with how each performs and what reaction they'll have to coming off the bench, regardless of minutes. I'm hoping Fultz absolutely claims the PG spot with his penetration and kick game and the others are better for it. IMO, this is make or break time for Fultz in ORL (and maybe NBA). In the longer run, I'd love to see Anthony embrace the 6th man role, playing with and without Fultz and racking up numbers like Jordan Clarkson as a perennial 6MOY candidate.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,719

Post#33 » by basketballRob » Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:47 pm

Fultz will probably be on the bench for a while and likely won't play on B2B.

It would be a good time to rotate nights off for all the guards.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM Forums mobile app
drsd
RealGM

Post#34 » by drsd » Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:14 pm

Combining Skybox and basketballRob, I can see a system set up where Suggs and Fultz alternate game starting and backing each other up. And Anthony, although the "obvious" choice to the who-should-be-on-the-bench, his stat line makes him fairly unbenchable right now.

What is clear is that Fultz will probably be minutes restricted to something like 15 mpg for his first 20 games, or so. Suggs will get a lot of court time no matter what.
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,092

Post#35 » by yoyojw17 » Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:12 pm

Skybox wrote:
drsd wrote:

Many will duck the question and say they'll keep him on time restriction for a while...which is probably true. But, assuming he's 100% (at some point), I think Anthony starts next to Fultz. It's just easier to bench an underperforming rookie.

Ultimately, I hope Suggs starts alongside Fultz, but there's a tricky dynamic with how each performs and what reaction they'll have to coming off the bench, regardless of minutes. I'm hoping Fultz absolutely claims the PG spot with his penetration and kick game and the others are better for it. IMO, this is make or break time for Fultz in ORL (and maybe NBA). In the longer run, I'd love to see Anthony embrace the 6th man role, playing with and without Fultz and racking up numbers like Jordan Clarkson as a perennial 6MOY candidate.

I'm in the same boat as you. I think fultz works great with both players... and in doing so they would all be interchangeable in the future. I would eventually love for Cole to be the spark off the bench that still gets his 28-30 min and averages 20 points a game... and be the leader off of the bench
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,150

Post#36 » by Def Swami » Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:20 pm

I get why you want to bring Anthony off the bench. I just think you're gonna have a hard time starting a back court (Fultz and Suggs) that has never proven that it can put a ball in the hoop from more than 6 feet out with some consistency. Unless one of Suggs or Fultz improved significantly, I just don't see Anthony ever coming off the bench on this team.

Fultz and Suggs are the two players who are actually closest to being point guards that could get their teammates involved. I think Fultz ends up starting with Anthony. Suggs comes off the bench, and I think it would be good for him to get reps against bench units and give us the ability to keep a ball mover on the floor at more times than none.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,297

Post#37 » by pepe1991 » Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:22 pm

Fultz and Suggs can work together only in scenario where one becomes league's average and other even better than league's average shooter. Having 2 Eric Bledsoe type guys on roster does nothing for Orlando.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
drsd
RealGM

Post#38 » by drsd » Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:32 pm

pepe1991 wrote:Fultz and Suggs can work together only in scenario where one becomes league's average and other even better than league's average shooter. Having 2 Eric Bledsoe type guys on roster does nothing for Orlando.

For comparison, the league average PG is J.J. Barea. So you are asking for a player that has at least a career 35% 3-ball on a eFG% of 49.

Yes: that sound very correct to me. Last year my whole point for Fultz was he needed a 36% 3-ball to develop his elite pick and roll capacity. Now if he has that and Suggs has a 40% 3-ball, and both players have eFG% numbers well above 50%, yes I think they can work together. My reasoning is that they can with on defence to either guard slot. And they can also switch on being on-ball or off-ball duties.

But I think this is just unlikely to work. It is very Portland 2.0 for me. And that is not something I would expect to see at a championship capacity. i.e: I think Orlando needs to pick Fultz or Suggs to build around, not both.

jezzerinho
Starter
And1: 1,507

Post#39 » by jezzerinho » Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:25 pm

drsd wrote:
Bensational wrote:

1st pick/5th pick/8th pick/6th pick/7th pick

You'd hope there was a lot of skill on display.... We'll see. Big shooting question mark with that lineup.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,627

Post#40 » by Skybox » Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:09 pm

drsd wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:Fultz and Suggs can work together only in scenario where one becomes league's average and other even better than league's average shooter. Having 2 Eric Bledsoe type guys on roster does nothing for Orlando.

For comparison, the league average PG is J.J. Barea. So you are asking for a player that has at least a career 35% 3-ball on a eFG% of 49.

Yes: that sound very correct to me. Last year my whole point for Fultz was he needed a 36% 3-ball to develop his elite pick and roll capacity. Now if he has that and Suggs has a 40% 3-ball, and both players have eFG% numbers well above 50%, yes I think they can work together. My reasoning is that they can with on defence to either guard slot. And they can also switch on being on-ball or off-ball duties.

But I think this is just unlikely to work. It is very Portland 2.0 for me. And that is not something I would expect to see at a championship capacity. i.e: I think Orlando needs to pick Fultz or Suggs to build around, not both.

Presently, at least, it’s the direct opposite of POR…2 big guards with great defensive potential and no proven shooting ability. All of my projections of Fultz starting are ASSUMING a very real ability to score 18ppg …not necessarily much from 3, but not all at the rim either

Return to Orlando Magic