ImageImageImageImage

When is Suggs returning?

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

orthoman
Senior
And1: 207

When is Suggs returning? 

Post#1 » by orthoman » Sun Dec 26, 2021 11:54 am

Does anyone have an idea when we might see Suggs back in action?

Thanks
UCF
Community Mod
Community Mod
And1: 1,073

Re: When is Suggs returning? 

Post#2 » by UCF » Sun Dec 26, 2021 3:12 pm

If the usual team practice on injury recovery occurs, it will be several weeks to months beyond the usual recovery time window. I wouldn’t even be surprised if he didn’t play again this season.
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,116

Post#3 » by Def Swami » Sun Dec 26, 2021 3:24 pm

After all-star break is my guess
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,008

Post#4 » by fendilim » Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:45 pm

:wink: Next year
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,501

Post#5 » by thelead » Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:58 pm

It’s is depressing that we have multiples of these ‘when is ____ returning?’ threads and could have 5+ more…
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,958

Post#6 » by Xatticus » Sun Dec 26, 2021 6:15 pm

thelead wrote:It’s is depressing that we have multiples of these ‘when is ____ returning?’ threads and could have 5+ more…

Suggs could probably play right now if he really wanted to. I'm not certain that he suffered the injury when Embiid whacked him. I think the hand was already bothering him. He had been grabbing, rubbing, and shaking that hand all season. I think whatever happened in that Philly game aggravated it and the team decided it would be a good time to give him a break.

Fultz seems to be coming along just fine.

Isaac is the concern. He should've been back by now. The front office and medical team isn't looking good on this one. We can talk all we want about how he just needs to get healthy, but he is still a young guy that has had his development derailed several times. When they inked him to that $17M per year deal, surely they were paying for some development and that just isn't happening.

It's strange to say, but that Vucevic deal is probably the best money this front office has spent. At least we recouped some value on that. The Fultz and Isaac contracts aren't looking good at all. Simmons turned to **** after we signed him. The Aminu deal was a disaster. Hopefully the WCJ deal ends up looking fine.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
thelead
RealGM

Post#7 » by thelead » Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:16 pm

Xatticus wrote:
thelead wrote:It’s is depressing that we have multiples of these ‘when is ____ returning?’ threads and could have 5+ more…

Suggs could probably play right now if he really wanted to. I'm not certain that he suffered the injury when Embiid whacked him. I think the hand was already bothering him. He had been grabbing, rubbing, and shaking that hand all season. I think whatever happened in that Philly game aggravated it and the team decided it would be a good time to give him a break.

Isaac is the concern. He should've been back by now. The front office and medical team isn't looking good on this one. We can talk all we want about how he just needs to get healthy, but he is still a young guy that has had his development derailed several times. When they inked him to that $17M per year deal, surely they were paying for some development and that just isn't happening.

It's strange to say, but that Vucevic deal is probably the best money this front office has spent. At least we recouped some value on that. The Fultz and Isaac contracts aren't looking good at all. Simmons turned to **** after we signed him. The Aminu deal was a disaster. Hopefully the WCJ deal ends up looking fine.

I have to believe that a lot of this is just dragging things out for better odds at a good pick but it still sucks no matter how much I support the tank (which is 100%). They sign players like Moore and they don’t even play. Aminu was an absolute disaster as you mentioned. I just hope that we can piece together a coherent and healthy team within the next 2 or 3 years.
BCS
Sixth Man
And1: 670

Post#8 » by BCS » Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:21 pm

I think the plan is to start bringing them in when we are pretty locked into a 3rd a worst record. I think they want to finish the year strong for some optimism going into next year. A solid finish, a top pick and players getting healthy and improving.

I expect Suggs sometime in January, same with Fultz, maybe late Jan or after all star break if we win more than the FO is comfortable. Isaac I still expect him this year, I am thinking 1 month or so before the end of the year to get some rust off and try to finish the year strong and feeling excited for next season.

Sent from my SM-A716U using RealGM mobile app
Magic_Kingdom
Rookie
And1: 974

Post#9 » by Magic_Kingdom » Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:28 am

thelead wrote:
Xatticus wrote:

I have to believe that a lot of this is just dragging things out for better odds at a good pick but it still sucks no matter how much I support the tank (which is 100%). They sign players like Moore and they don’t even play. Aminu was an absolute disaster as you mentioned. I just hope that we can piece together a coherent and healthy team within the next 2 or 3 years.

Intentionally holding out healthy players to increase the chance of losing is just the worst. It is the antithesis of what sports is about, but in the NBA it's become standard procedure. Just sucks that the Magic will probably finish with the worst or second worst record and get the 4th or 5th pick. When was the last time we actually got a pick higher than our position in the lottery?

I think Isaac has had a setback or has some sort of structural problem. I just can't believe they're continuing to keep him off the court when he has played so little and desperately needs to develop his game. Players don't miss two full seasons and come back in the same form.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,224

Post#10 » by pepe1991 » Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:35 am

Is Suggs really making you better to the point you "have" to sit him to stop winning?
No, he does not.

There is some logic behind sitting allstar type of player for further gains. But sitting young rookies that are in desperate need to improve, especially ones who look like Suggs did ( negative asset as player ) is mindblowing stupid. It's like Pistons want to tank...by sitting Hayes.

Magic scheadule is Bucks twice, 76ers,Bulls and Boston. Magic won't win any of those games, even if they play Cole and Suggs. Why not play them ?
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,893

Post#11 » by drsd » Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:33 am

pepe1991 wrote:Is Suggs really making you better to the point you "have" to sit him to stop winning?
No, he does not.

There is some logic behind sitting allstar type of player for further gains. But sitting young rookies that are in desperate need to improve, especially ones who look like Suggs did ( negative asset as player ) is mindblowing stupid. It's like Pistons want to tank...by sitting Hayes.

Magic scheadule is Bucks twice, 76ers,Bulls and Boston. Magic won't win any of those games, even if they play Cole and Suggs. Why not play them ?

And-1

Orlando is not probable to catch and of New Orleans, OKC, and Houston. Wins and losses for the Magic is about the race to the bottom against Detroit.

So: just play the rookies and get some wins under their belt.

To the topic: Suggs broke a bone. That is his thumb in his main shooting - passing hand. Four weeks ago, management reported that "every to weeks" he would be (re)evaluated. So this is about the time for evaluation #2. Lets say it take 6 weeks to heal, as this injury effects shooting and rebounding quite significantly, there is probably another 2-weeks of intensive court-rehbing to get in to game shape.

That means for me I had ZERO expectations he would return until late-Jan. I suspect in about two weeks, we will hear sokehitng from the press on his progress, and not before.

thelead
RealGM

Post#12 » by thelead » Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:09 pm

pepe1991 wrote:Is Suggs really making you better to the point you "have" to sit him to stop winning?
No, he does not.

I think Suggs is still 'injured' and that they're being cautious with Cole. I don't think there is anything nefarious going on there. I have to believe that JI either had a setback or the team discovered something else that they want to address before bringing him back. Fultz is on schedule so no issue with him. The Moore and MCW injuries are a bit curious though. You would have to think they would be MUCH better than:

https://www.reddit.com/r/OrlandoMagic/comments/rp6evd/assist_of_the_year/
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,688

Post#13 » by basketballRob » Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:50 pm

Isaac must be doing some things. I've heard him say that he's improved his shooting and playmaking.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM Forums mobile app
flranger
Senior
And1: 822

Post#14 » by flranger » Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:44 pm

Y'all underestimating this franchise's ability to produce unnecessary and ill-advised end of season wins. Let them build a cushion please...
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,893

Post#15 » by drsd » Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:34 pm

flranger wrote:Y'all underestimating this franchise's ability to produce unnecessary and ill-advised end of season wins. Let them build a cushion please...

I would rather Suggs have some 20/10 nights late season than the Magic gets some extra lotto balls.

Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,590

Post#16 » by Skybox » Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:41 pm

drsd wrote:
flranger wrote:Y'all underestimating this franchise's ability to produce unnecessary and ill-advised end of season wins. Let them build a cushion please...

I would rather Suggs have some 20/10 nights late season than the Magic gets some extra lotto balls.

You're sounding like an actual basketball fan. I like it...that's why we get players, right?
I Rasharted
Sixth Man
And1: 837

Post#17 » by I Rasharted » Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:31 pm

basketballRob wrote:Another good benefit about eating plants is that the artery going to your penis gets unclogged and starts flowing real good.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,153

Post#18 » by Knightro » Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:38 pm

Read on Twitter

Haven't heard the comments myself, so I don't know if this is proper context. But take it for what it's worth.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,153

Post#19 » by Knightro » Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:49 pm

Knightro wrote:
Read on Twitter

Haven't heard the comments myself, so I don't know if this is proper context. But take it for what it's worth.

Just listened to it.

Mosley's exact answer was...

"He's progressing along slowly. So we're just going to take it over time and see how he goes over the next couple of weeks."

Doesn't sound like Suggs is anywhere close based on that answer.
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 9,971

Post#20 » by KillMonger » Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:23 am

Of course he's progressing slowly, nothing can be ahead of schedule around here.

Sent from my KB2003 using RealGM mobile app

Return to Orlando Magic