ImageImageImageImage

Magic Extend Jeff Weltman and John Hammond's Contracts Through the 2025-2026 Season

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,269

Re: Magic Extend Jeff Weltman and John Hammond's Contracts Through the 2025-2026 Season 

Post#41 » by pepe1991 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:19 am

JF5 wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:We traded pick for Fultz that turned into Maxey, who averages 17 ppg, 4,5 apg and 3,5 rpg for 23-16 team.

That's clear L trade.

Take Wagner and they have nothing to show for after 5 years.
Being praised for worst record is crazy. It's like rewarding worst worker for putting so little energy. In real world you get fired, in crazy nba world, they got exstension.

That's a narrative twister.

The trade at the time was Fultz for Jonathan Simmons (Who was becoming/became a bench warmer) and a protected top 20 pick. Maxey ended up being the 21st pick. Also, Fultz helped the Magic get into the playoffs with his stellar play in the 2019-2020 season.

Then you add the fact now that the Magic have just as good if not better prospects with Cole Anthony/Jalen Suggs in the backcourt along with Markelle Fultz I doubt anyone is losing sleep about Maxey.

Worst workers? Again, the team went to the playoffs in back-to-back seasons in 2019 and 2020 under the Weham Regime. The first time the organization was able to do that since the Dwight Howard era. If they were bottom feeders and completely sucked THEN an extension wouldn't make any sense. They hit marks the organization hasn't seen and to me they have a crap ton of young and talented assets to work with after dismantling the Vucevic/Gordon/Fournier led teams after just one and half year after this upcoming draft. Usually a process that would take 3-4.

What you did there is narrative twister.

The trade at the time was Fultz for Jonathan Simmons (Who was becoming/became a bench warmer) and a protected top 20 pick. Maxey ended up being the 21st pick. Also, Fultz helped the Magic get into the playoffs with his stellar play in the 2019-2020 season.

What steller play? Magic had better record without him in year prior 42-40 than with him and his "steller play" 33-40.
He was 5th in PPG, by importance he was 5th most important starter, by eFG he was 8th most important player among active rotation players, by value over replacment he wasn't even better than his backup, DJ Augustin, who was starting PG on better Magic team year prior.

Then you add the fact now that the Magic have just as good if not better prospects with Cole Anthony/Jalen Suggs in the backcourt along with Markelle Fultz I doubt anyone is losing sleep about Maxey.

You realise that Maxey is better than probably all of them today, right? It's no doubt he is better than Suggs and Fultz. But that's narrative bias at it's finset. You discredit production of 17 ppg , 13,5 FGA and 56,5% TS on winning basketball team in favor of 20 ppg on 17 FGA and 53,5% TS on worst team in nba.

Again, the team went to the playoffs in back-to-back seasons in 2019 and 2020 under the Weham Regime. The first time the organization was able to do that since the Dwight Howard era

Narrative twist again. Magic "second playoff " was on 33-40 record (45% win rate), that's almost identical to Scott Skiles 2015-16 record (35-47 = 43% win rate). So it's not like Magic made playoffs because they deserved it . In 2015-16 zero nba teams made playoffs with negative recored and it was 44 wins required to get in (53,5% win rate) , opposite of 2019-20 when Magic made it with 45%.
In modern history ,from 1990 to this date, Magic are 5th worst team in win% that made playoffs. And you give them credit for it :lol:

. They hit marks the organization hasn't seen and to me they have a crap ton of young and talented assets to work with after dismantling the Vucevic/Gordon/Fournier led teams

Yea that never happend before. I mean neveeeerrrrrr

Weltman and Hammond are leading team with worst win rate from 2017- to this date. There are zero allstars on a team, needless to say zero superstars and bunch of draft busts or/and players who are incapable of playing basketball due injuries.
I don't understand how somebody can grade president of basketball operations and GM after 5 years, 2 playoff wins, zero stars, bunch of draft busts and in play for worst record in team history with anything higher than F+.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
LDNMagic90
Bench Warmer
And1: 858

Re: Magic Extend Jeff Weltman and John Hammond's Contracts Through the 2025-2026 Season 

Post#42 » by LDNMagic90 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:39 am

For me I'm not surprised they got extended, we are in a proper rebuild now. If anything I think the Vuc trade saved them a bit. I do think they sat on their hands a bit too long before blowing it up, but at the same time a few of the players did not have that great of value until last season.

As of now I'm really hating this lack of transparency with our injuries, I understand we are trying to get the best odds for the draft but its really frustrating as a fan not really knowing how things are going with our players? I mean it's not like we are competitive and want to keep the other teams guessing, they could literally tell us a bit more about setbacks/progression.

A question for the people that are totally out on our front office, who would you try to get in realistically that seems promising instead of these guys? Do you think change will help us long term in our situation currently?
Furinkazan
General Manager
And1: 3,534

Post#43 » by Furinkazan » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:55 am

Best job in the world.Two deadbeats getting paid for doing nothing.
JF5
RealGM
And1: 3,883

Post#44 » by JF5 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:12 am

pepe1991 wrote:What steller play? Magic had better record without him in year prior 42-40 than with him and his "steller play" 33-40.
He was 5th in PPG, by importance he was 5th most important starter, by eFG he was 8th most important player among active rotation players, by value over replacment he wasn't even better than his backup, DJ Augustin, who was starting PG on better Magic team year prior.

Eye-test wise it was clear he was arguably the Magic 2nd best player at times during the 2019-2020 season. Also, there was a noticeable difference when he was on the floor since he was the only player on the team who was able to get to the paint at will, apply pressure to the paint, and get guys easy baskets. Also, he was able to score in the paint at a close to an elite level during that season. That why D.J. Augustin was relegated to the bench once Fultz was playing well.

Yes, the Magic had a better season the previous year (Due to the fact they were much healthier). But Fultz was one of the reasons why the team was able to stay afloat and competitive to which they got into the playoffs

pepe1991 wrote:You realise that Maxey is better than probably all of them today, right? It's no doubt he is better than Suggs and Fultz. But that's narrative bias at it's finset. You discredit production of 17 ppg , 13,5 FGA and 56,5% TS on winning basketball team in favor of 20 ppg on 17 FGA and 53,5% TS on worst team in nba.

Maxey is playing well. But right now he's only a good young player. He's not Damian Lillard or Trae Young where he's leading his team to victories. He's undersized 2-Guard who plays matador defense, while also having average to below average passing if he were to transition to PG.

He's very similar to Cole Anthony except he's more efficient with scoring and he plays more within a structured offense on a more seasoned team.

Cole Anthony himself is surrounded by a whole bunch of rookies and bench warmers whilst being coached by a Rookie Coach on arguably the worst team in the NBA right now (Like You mentioned). If he was playing with a team with Doc Rivers as Coach with one of the Top 5-10 players in the league with Embiid who is surrounded by veteran role-players I'm pretty sure he'd look a lot better himself. Tyrese Maxey would most likely shoot anywhere from 42-45% on this Magic squad if he were here.

Also, Jalen Suggs has much higher potential than Maxey. He can be a 2nd Tier or maybe a Tier 1 Star Player with all the tools that he possesses and his all-around and two-way abilities. I'd rather have Suggs 9 out of 10 times considering the flashes I've seen from him.

pepe1991 wrote:Narrative twist again. Magic "second playoff " was on 33-40 record (45% win rate), that's almost identical to Scott Skiles 2015-16 record (35-47 = 43% win rate). So it's not like Magic made playoffs because they deserved it . In 2015-16 zero nba teams made playoffs with negative recored and it was 44 wins required to get in (53,5% win rate) , opposite of 2019-20 when Magic made it with 45%.
In modern history ,from 1990 to this date, Magic are 5th worst team in win% that made playoffs. And you give them credit for it :lol:

How is this a narrative twist? They made the playoffs in 2020. I understand the record doesn't look good. But they still had back-to-back Playoff appearances which again is important to an organization that was not even close of sniffing a playoff appearance since 2011 at that point and was a consistent lottery team up until then. Those were successful years and probably a quota/goal they had to fulfill.

pepe1991 wrote:Weltman and Hammond are leading team with worst win rate from 2017- to this date. There are zero allstars on a team, needless to say zero superstars and bunch of draft busts or/and players who are incapable of playing basketball due injuries.
I don't understand how somebody can grade president of basketball operations and GM after 5 years, 2 playoff wins, zero stars, bunch of draft busts and in play for worst record in team history with anything higher than F+.

1. They had Vucevic as a 2-Time All-Star
2. They only drafted Bamba who is considered a bust. Everyone else the jury is still out or they're decent players at this stage of their development
3. We differ in this, but considering how everyone saw this roster back in 2017 when it came to the team lacking talent and having no direction as to where to go next, compared to now the fact they were able to turn those low valued assets into really good appreciating/future assets it gives this team a lot of breathing room.

I've always noticed you were one of the guys complaining about us not having star players to build around which is true. But every time when I or others asked how does a small market team get star players without developing them through drafting them (as free-agency is relegated for big market teams) you'd never have a straight answer. For Small Market teams like the Magic getting a bunch of young players and figuring out who will have star potential/worth being around while using those other young/draft assets to flip for potentially another star player or complimentary player that enhances the core is the best strategy.
J-Mezzy
RealGM
And1: 3,216

Post#45 » by J-Mezzy » Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:14 am

Man

Talk about rewarding continuous failure

The dream gig
Thank you triplemke23 for the sig.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,104

Post#46 » by tiderulz » Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:29 pm

JF5 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
JF5 wrote:They've done a a good job...

1. People wanted to just trade AG, Vucevic, AND Fournier when their values were at their lowest. Meaning the magic were going to get mid to late 1st round picks or early 2nd round picks from other teams in those rumor mills back in 2017 when they took over. They maximized all of their values and 2/3 of the guys were traded for a lot more in 2021 than what they would've gotten back in 2017 if trades were made there.

2. They made the playoffs 2 times. Something this team hasn't don't in almost a decade at the time they took over. Though it did slow down a quicker rebuild process. The city/organization needed this after a long time.

3. Talent allocation... They got Fultz (who is a decent prospect at this point) for crumbs and he clearly was a game changer when he got here. Helping the Magic to the playoffs. Drafting Jonathan Issac. Though he is consistently injured was part of the teams success as to why they were able to make the playoffs in back to back years. He is a potential Defensive Player of the year candidate and if he comes back healthy and improved with this new and rebuilt young squad he'd be probably our All-Star/Face of the team. Cole Anthony was a steal with the 15th Pick in a very week draft, and Chuma Okeke has shown flashes of being a solid/good rotation player once the team has all their talent back. Also, drafting Jalen Suggs which is a no brainer but I'd like to add him in.

They Moved Vucevic for Franz Wagner/Wendell Carter/Future 1st round Pick that is yet to be determined. Right now that looks like a win as Franz looks like a All-Star player (Barring Injury) and Wendell looks like he'll be a Borderline All-Star and the New Aged Al Horford. Jury is still out on that 2023 Pick but that is a good trade Chip.

They Moved Gordon for Gary Harris/RJ Hampton/Future 2025 Pick.... Gary Harris is a guy/vet that is turning it around and is a role player that is good team/locker room guy. He is an important piece this team can move forward with during this rebuild. RJ looks like he can also fit the mold of being a 3 and D player once he's got it all figured out. Also, that 2025 Pick looks like it could be a top 5-10 pick. Jury still out for this pick too but its a future trade chip.

Now, they're stealth tanking with them likely ending up with another Top 5 pick once this season is over. Really only sacrificing 1 and 1/2 seasons get all this young talent and draft capital. GIving them a myriad of options to see who they can build around, and also having enough talent to trade to balance off a roster and to get another potential Star player with the core players they have. For a Small Market team its really the best model given how Free-Agency in this day in age is geared towards the big cities.

Only issues/problems I've seen from them is Drafting Mo Bamba, and them holding out players longer than they have too. But again them holding out players longer than they have to at this point seems like its part of the tank. (exception is maybe for Issac who is probably on a different rehab protocol compared to other players given his injury history). Also, the trading of Fournier for Peanuts.

They're headed the right direction. Hopefully they can keep building this team the right way.

Harris is gone. RJ doesnt look to be even get his 4th year right now. And I cant see a Denver team that has Jokic having a top-10 pick (its also top-5 protected).

I do believe the Magic plan to keep Harris (which I think they need to do as they need veteran presence and competent veteran play). RJ I feel like will most likely be traded within the next 2 years in a bigger packaged deal. Also, like someone mentioned that Nuggets pick in 2025 might be a prime real estate given Jokic's contract ends in 2023. Not a guarantee he returns given how they're locked into Porter Jr. who gives the team little flexibility over that time.

i cant see Harris staying unless we are the biggest bidder again (a la Shard Lewis). but then where does that leave us with Anthony/Suggs/Fultz. and i still wonder if this is just a fluke come contract time.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,905

Post#47 » by drsd » Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:32 pm

To assess our new coach, management needed to be extended.

This coming off-season will be important for this team.
Magic_Kingdom
Rookie
And1: 974

Post#48 » by Magic_Kingdom » Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:11 pm

JF5 wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:What steller play? Magic had better record without him in year prior 42-40 than with him and his "steller play" 33-40.

Eye-test wise it was clear he was arguably the Magic 2nd best player at times during the 2019-2020 season. Also, there was a noticeable difference when he was on the floor since he was the only player on the team who was able to get to the paint at will, apply pressure to the paint, and get guys easy baskets. Also, he was able to score in the paint at a close to an elite level during that season. That why D.J. Augustin was relegated to the bench once Fultz was playing well.

Yes, the Magic had a better season the previous year (Due to the fact they were much healthier). But Fultz was one of the reasons why the team was able to stay afloat and competitive to which they got into the playoffs

pepe1991 wrote:You realise that Maxey is better than probably all of them today, right? It's no doubt he is better than Suggs and Fultz. But that's narrative bias at it's finset. You discredit production of 17 ppg , 13,5 FGA and 56,5% TS on winning basketball team in favor of 20 ppg on 17 FGA and 53,5% TS on worst team in nba.

Maxey is playing well. But right now he's only a good young player. He's not Damian Lillard or Trae Young where he's leading his team to victories. He's undersized 2-Guard who plays matador defense, while also having average to below average passing if he were to transition to PG.

He's very similar to Cole Anthony except he's more efficient with scoring and he plays more within a structured offense on a more seasoned team.

Cole Anthony himself is surrounded by a whole bunch of rookies and bench warmers whilst being coached by a Rookie Coach on arguably the worst team in the NBA right now (Like You mentioned). If he was playing with a team with Doc Rivers as Coach with one of the Top 5-10 players in the league with Embiid who is surrounded by veteran role-players I'm pretty sure he'd look a lot better himself. Tyrese Maxey would most likely shoot anywhere from 42-45% on this Magic squad if he were here.

Also, Jalen Suggs has much higher potential than Maxey. He can be a 2nd Tier or maybe a Tier 1 Star Player with all the tools that he possesses and his all-around and two-way abilities. I'd rather have Suggs 9 out of 10 times considering the flashes I've seen from him.

pepe1991 wrote:Narrative twist again. Magic "second playoff " was on 33-40 record (45% win rate), that's almost identical to Scott Skiles 2015-16 record (35-47 = 43% win rate). So it's not like Magic made playoffs because they deserved it . In 2015-16 zero nba teams made playoffs with negative recored and it was 44 wins required to get in (53,5% win rate) , opposite of 2019-20 when Magic made it with 45%.

How is this a narrative twist? They made the playoffs in 2020. I understand the record doesn't look good. But they still had back-to-back Playoff appearances which again is important to an organization that was not even close of sniffing a playoff appearance since 2011 at that point and was a consistent lottery team up until then. Those were successful years and probably a quota/goal they had to fulfill.

pepe1991 wrote:Weltman and Hammond are leading team with worst win rate from 2017- to this date. There are zero allstars on a team, needless to say zero superstars and bunch of draft busts or/and players who are incapable of playing basketball due injuries.

1. They had Vucevic as a 2-Time All-Star
2. They only drafted Bamba who is considered a bust. Everyone else the jury is still out or they're decent players at this stage of their development
3. We differ in this, but considering how everyone saw this roster back in 2017 when it came to the team lacking talent and having no direction as to where to go next, compared to now the fact they were able to turn those low valued assets into really good appreciating/future assets it gives this team a lot of breathing room.

I've always noticed you were one of the guys complaining about us not having star players to build around which is true. But every time when I or others asked how does a small market team get star players without developing them through drafting them (as free-agency is relegated for big market teams) you'd never have a straight answer. For Small Market teams like the Magic getting a bunch of young players and figuring out who will have star potential/worth being around while using those other young/draft assets to flip for potentially another star player or complimentary player that enhances the core is the best strategy.

You can't credit them for Vucevic being an all-star. First, they didn't acquire Vuc, Hennigan did. Second, they traded him away. In fact, the argument that they should get credit for the two playoff appearances (with Hennigan's players) and *also* get credit for dismantling that team is circular.

The indisputable fact is that this management team has not drafted, traded for or signed an all-star player in five years. In fact, they haven't drafted, traded for or signed a borderline all-star player in five years.

The jury is not still out on Isaac. If you use the #6 pick on a player who has only played 136 total games in five seasons out of 350 possible games (38.9%) and for his career is averaging less than 10 points per game, that's a bad pick. The only thing that matters is that the team has nothing to show for it.

The Magic are 128-222 in five seasons under these guys. In the real world there is no question they would be out on the street. If they pitched a five-year plan when they got hired in 2017, then what did they pitch to get four-year extensions? Was their original five-year plan to slowly decimate the roster and be the worst team in the league in Year 5? Did they pitch a second five-year plan? Like how did that extension meeting with Martins go?

"Jeff, what have you and John built in the five years since we hired you?"

"Well Alex, nothing per se...we are the worst team in the NBA. But our lottery odds are looking really good and if we're lucky we may be able to draft the next Jonathan Isaac or Mo Bamba."
jezzerinho
Starter
And1: 1,506

Post#49 » by jezzerinho » Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:56 pm

Fully agree with Pepe and MK. Objectively, extending these guys is rewarding mediocrity in the most egregious way. And mediocre is being generous, only because at least they've managed the cap OK and drafted Wagner and they didn't screw up the teardown too much.
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,154

Post#50 » by zaymon » Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:13 pm

I feel like some of us have different definition of mediocrity. I think some of you forgot how a bad contract or bad trade looks like under Weltman. We made playoffs two times in a row without spending any assets, while clearing our books and aquiring young players with potential. Getting a star when you are full of bad contracts and without assets is wasting his and our time.
We cleared our books, we gained future assets, now we will be hunting for a star. I dont see any major flaw with logic regarding our rebuild during Weltman tenure. I get that it takes long, but at least we are not short cutting like Knicks who wanted to contend too soon. We could have gone with Bulls route but historical number of injuries prevented that. Right now being bad is our best option, everyone that is demanding using assets to make us average is calling for treadmill.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
rcklsscognition
RealGM
And1: 7,135

Post#51 » by rcklsscognition » Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:18 pm

These two are really good at their job, sucking up to Martins. That's about all I can say on this topic diplomatically.
BCS
Sixth Man
And1: 675

Post#52 » by BCS » Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:05 pm

You guys know there is stuff that happens behind closed door.. It seems to me like their 1st few years they did not have as much control they wanted. It seemed ownership wanted to compete and playoffs, similar to what derailed Hennigans rebuild but Weltman and Hammond wanted the rebuild.

Finally last year, injuries happened and their plan was green lighted by ownership. I am only evaluating them based on what they have done since then and the draft picks and I honestly can't blame them much for what they've done. I know a lot will say Bamba has been their biggest mistake and we can all sit here and say they should have traded up or down in the Bamba draft which is what I wanted but maybe the deal was not there. At that point in the draft Mo was highest upside player and they selected him, can't blame them. I get why they are getting the extension as they only have just begun their plan and it just is what it is.

Sent from my SM-A716U using RealGM mobile app
Bergmaniac
Head Coach
And1: 9,537

Post#53 » by Bergmaniac » Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:17 pm

JF5 wrote:

Pepe is absolutely correct. Fultz didn't have a stellar year or anything close to it by any reasonable measure. He was somewhere between 5th and 7th most impactful player on a team which had a 33-40 record and wouldn't have been anywhere near the playoffs in most years. And in the halfcourt he's nowhere near elite at getting to the basket. He stood out only because ever since Dipo left this team has really lacked this type of players.
zaymon
Lead Assistant

Post#54 » by zaymon » Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:46 pm

BCS wrote:You guys know there is stuff that happens behind closed door.. It seems to me like their 1st few years they did not have as much control they wanted. It seemed ownership wanted to compete and playoffs, similar to what derailed Hennigans rebuild but Weltman and Hammond wanted the rebuild.

Finally last year, injuries happened and their plan was green lighted by ownership. I am only evaluating them based on what they have done since then and the draft picks and I honestly can't blame them much for what they've done. I know a lot will say Bamba has been their biggest mistake and we can all sit here and say they should have traded up or down in the Bamba draft which is what I wanted but maybe the deal was not there. At that point in the draft Mo was highest upside player and they selected him, can't blame them. I get why they are getting the extension as they only have just begun their plan and it just is what it is.

Sent from my SM-A716U using RealGM mobile app

Its hard to tell about control but we did have high draft pick when they arrived (Isaac) and we tanked first season under them (last game cost us Young and Doncic). Then we made playoffs for two years but Weltman did nothing to improve our roster, he even made us worse in second year by trading for Fultz. If he had command from ownership to make playoffs i suppose he would try to make us stronger not weaker. Then when everybody finally accepted Vucevic he traded him.
If he was controlled by ownership the moves feel counterintuitive.
JF5
RealGM

Post#55 » by JF5 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:43 pm

Magic_Kingdom wrote:You can't credit them for Vucevic being an all-star. First, they didn't acquire Vuc, Hennigan did. Second, they traded him away.

They hired the coach Steve Clifford who was able to elevate Vucevic into becoming an All-Star Caliber player. They deserve the credit for that.

This is similar to 17-18 Oladipo in Indiana or 03-04 Billups in Detroit who took multiple years and multiple situations to hit all-star status, and once they got into the right situation they thrived.

Hennigan actually TRADED for Vucevic, but it took a completely different Regime for him to hit All-Star Status.

Magic_Kingdom wrote:In fact, the argument that they should get credit for the two playoff appearances (with Hennigan's players) and *also* get credit for dismantling that team is circular.

1. They get credit because they hired Steve Clifford and added guys like MCW and Issac who were instrumental into them getting the Magic into the playoffs.

2. Like I mentioned before they elevated Vucevic's value (as he became an all-star) to where he was Traded for multiple lottery players and a future 1st pick. Like I mentioned before back in 2017 Rumors saw him being trade for mid to late first round Picks.

Also, the same happened for Gordon and Fournier as rumors had them being traded for mid-to-late first round picks. Nobody really wanted to give up much to get those guys after the 2016-2017 season. Fournier obviously being the only guy being traded for multiple second rounders as his contract was coming to an end which WeHam screwed up on.

If you told Magic fans back then that, that we'd have that sort of haul in 2021 after trading those guys they would've laughed at you. To not give them props for them to able to do that is ridiculous to me.

Magic_Kingdom wrote:The jury is not still out on Isaac. If you use the #6 pick on a player who has only played 136 total games in five seasons out of 350 possible games (38.9%) and for his career is averaging less than 10 points per game, that's a bad pick. The only thing that matters is that the team has nothing to show for it.

Issac was one of the best defensive players in the league before he went down. He was the primary reason why the defense was so good the 1 and 1/2 seasons that he was able to play. He averaged 2 Blocks a game, while also having over 1.5 Steals a game before he went down midway during the 2019-2020 season. He was also showing progression offensively. Not saying he was was out of this world. But was competent when it came to occasionally getting his own shot.

To say a guy who was in the running for DPOY and 1st All-Defensive team before he got injured is a bad pick is asinine. Considering again he helped this team get to the playoffs TWICE with the league's better defenses in both years when he played extended minutes.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,269

Post#56 » by pepe1991 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:45 pm

zaymon wrote:I feel like some of us have different definition of mediocrity. I think some of you forgot how a bad contract or bad trade looks like under Weltman. We made playoffs two times in a row without spending any assets, while clearing our books and aquiring young players with potential. Getting a star when you are full of bad contracts and without assets is wasting his and our time.
We cleared our books, we gained future assets, now we will be hunting for a star. I dont see any major flaw with logic regarding our rebuild during Weltman tenure. I get that it takes long, but at least we are not short cutting like Knicks who wanted to contend too soon. We could have gone with Bulls route but historical number of injuries prevented that. Right now being bad is our best option, everyone that is demanding using assets to make us average is calling for treadmill.

I feel like some of us have different definition of mediocrity. I think some of you forgot how a bad contract or bad trade looks like under Weltman

Like this.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
zaymon
Lead Assistant

Post#57 » by zaymon » Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:03 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
zaymon wrote:I feel like some of us have different definition of mediocrity. I think some of you forgot how a bad contract or bad trade looks like under Weltman. We made playoffs two times in a row without spending any assets, while clearing our books and aquiring young players with potential. Getting a star when you are full of bad contracts and without assets is wasting his and our time.

I feel like some of us have different definition of mediocrity. I think some of you forgot how a bad contract or bad trade looks like under Weltman

Like this.

Fultz got his contract before he got hurt. I am not the biggest MF fan just like you, but the deal was acceptable at the time of signing. Right now its reserve money, it didnt hinder us so far at all.
Isaac got his contract after injury, they knew what they were doing. Its always darkest before the dawn. Right now its bad contract but if he is healthy and running for dpoy next year its a steal. People critized GSW for extending Curry when he had ankle problems.
JF5
RealGM

Post#58 » by JF5 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:28 pm

Bergmaniac wrote:Pepe is absolutely correct. Fultz didn't have a stellar year or anything close to it by any reasonable measure. He was somewhere between 5th and 7th most impactful player on a team which had a 33-40 record and wouldn't have been anywhere near the playoffs in most years. And in the halfcourt he's nowhere near elite at getting to the basket. He stood out only because ever since Dipo left this team has really lacked this type of players.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/markelle-fultzs-breakout-season-brings-hope-the-magic-have-found-their-point-guard-for-the-future/

CBS wrote:His assists create the most points for the Magic per game (13.7), which essentially means his passes have the most value on the team. He's able to squeeze passes through tight windows in the post to make life easier for Nikola Vucevic, or drive and kick it to an open Evan Fournier on the wing for three

CBS wrote:You can tell that he sometimes catches his teammates -- as well as the defense -- off guard with the passes he makes, displaying how gifted of a playmaker he is, and can become. None of this should be surprising, though, given that Fultz was heralded as a player who could create in a lot of ways, not just for himself but for his teammates.

CBS wrote:At his best this season, Fultz is attacking the rim at full speed, using his bullish strength and quickness to finish drives at a 49 percent clip, which ranks in the top 20 in the league among point guards. He has the finesse to finish around bigger defenders in the paint and through contact, and his size gives him an edge over smaller guards trying to check him

https://www.insidehook.com/article/sports/markelle-fultz-magic-ceiling

Inside Hook wrote:While Fultz’s shooting remains a clear weakness, his potential is immense and obvious. It’s not an exaggeration to say that Fultz is bordering on elite as a finisher, playmaker and defender. In contrast to his butt-ugly jump shot, Fultz plays with more style than any other guard in the league. He delivers passes with sudden flicks and scoops, beating defenses with nonchalance.

BTW, Dipo was a horrible finisher when he was here. Fultz's finishing was one of his strengths coming into the league

https://www.nbadraft.net/players/markelle-fultz/

NBAdraft.net wrote:Fultz has great extension and finishing ability at the rim due to his length and large hands
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,399

Post#59 » by Bensational » Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:40 pm

zaymon wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:

Like this.

Fultz got his contract before he got hurt. I am not the biggest MF fan just like you, but the deal was acceptable at the time of signing. Right now its reserve money, it didnt hinder us so far at all.
Isaac got his contract after injury, they knew what they were doing. Its always darkest before the dawn. Right now its bad contract but if he is healthy and running for dpoy next year its a steal. People critized GSW for extending Curry when he had ankle problems.

That’s some very lenient benefit of the doubt to treat that Isaac contract like the potential gold of a Steph Curry contract instead of it being Grant Hill or John Wall 2.0 (much cheaper obviously but ultimately worthless due to lack of court time and ability to return to prior form).

We’ve got plenty of flexibility where we are at the moment though, so I’m not overly worried. What I am worried about is that nobody can point to the roster and say they’ve made an obvious core franchise addition in their 5 year tenure, other than Franz.

With what they inherited, the best they added was a coach and cheap backup depth pieces like MCW, Birch and Ennis. None of their youth pieces confidently look like core franchise talent at these early stages.

That said, I’m happy with the results of the start of this rebuild. Suggs + Franz I have confidence in. I like WCJ as an affordable role player. I like the idea of Cole as a 6th man scoring spark plug. But even those pieces need some serious talent injection on the roster to help get this team on to a championship track.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,604

Post#60 » by Skybox » Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:50 pm

You really think the ORL Magic are in a position where it makes sense to cast off a DPOY-candidate for health issues before they're sure? :banghead:

If there's any team in the league that can "afford" to take a chance and wait and hope and pray for a big fish that's already in-house, it's ORL.

Return to Orlando Magic